• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

LordOfChaos

Is it just Apple that this happens to or do people do it for other products???

Every product, I remember looking up panel differences and such in Dell laptops with lots of people interested in it. Overclockers will look at batch numbers for "golden chips", audiophiles will blah blah.

The Apple ones tend to blow up a little more since they have singular products with more sales rather than a scattering of products like Dell, plus the added population of concern trolling :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My 6S Silver appears to be a TSMC. Cool, I game a lot so I guess the cooler temp during intensive usage will be beneficial.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This iPhone has the most scratch resistant screen of all smartphones I've owned. It's brand new after 2 weeks, vs micro scratches I always had at this point on previous phones.

Jeremy

Man this chip stuff has blown up!

It's always the same with Apple products. Do you have an LG/Samsung display? Well, the LG is better because it doesn't have image retention! Do you have a Samsung/Toshiba SSD? Well, the Samsung is better because the read/write speeds are much faster! Do you have a TSMC/Samsung chip? Well, the TSMC is better because better battery life!

It just makes people paranoid and feel like their device is inferior. Then they go set up an Apple appointment to get it replaced. I can just imagine them standing there "Nope, that has a Samsung too! I demand you bring out another device. Nope, that's Samsung too! Another! ..yep TMSC, thank you!".

Just use the device and enjoy it or go buy something else.

Well of course I'd love to just use the device and enjoy it but if the battery life is a problem on a phone that can't stay alive for the entire day as it is when in use, why would I jump on board? Interesting conclusion tho.

"Apple iPhone 6S: Just use the device and enjoy it"

I want one but I have to use it for work and the battery life on the iPhone 6 and most phones is already pretty lackluster. My current iPhone 6 is no longer working so I thought about going to replace it today with the 6S but I can't tell if there is a real problem with the battery or not.

Bullza2o

I have a Samsung chip 6s plus 64gb and it shut down overnight 3 times since I got it last week. I always charge it to full and unplug it before I go to bed. The home button was not hot like what I've read though --I was able to touch it at least.

Anyone having the same experience? It seems when people have the shutdown issue they always have the hot home button as well.

Reckoner

I have a Samsung chip 6s plus 64gb and it shut down overnight 3 times since I got it last week. I always charge it to full and unplug it before I go to bed. The home button was not hot like what I've read though --I was able to touch it at least.

Anyone having the same experience? It seems when people have the shutdown issue they always have the hot home button as well.

Well if you have that issue go to the store and trade it! Maybe the new one they'll give you is a TSMC.

Nephtis

shit guys

Apple has sim-free phones available

I may finally be able to get a phone

[edit] nevermind, someone beat me to the 1 phone tucson got again. why are they releasing only 1 goddamn phone.

Thaedolus

Well of course I'd love to just use the device and enjoy it but if the battery life is a problem on a phone that can't stay alive for the entire day as it is when in use, why would I jump on board? Interesting conclusion tho.

"Apple iPhone 6S: Just use the device and enjoy it"

I want one but I have to use it for work and the battery life on the iPhone 6 and most phones is already pretty lackluster. My current iPhone 6 is no longer working so I thought about going to replace it today with the 6S but I can't tell if there is a real problem with the battery or not.

On my TSMC phone the battery life is still pretty lackluster. I'd say it's pretty comparable to my 2 year old 5S I went from.

Jeremy

On my TSMC phone the battery life is still pretty lackluster. I'd say it's pretty comparable to my 2 year old 5S I went from.

I wish I could find any kind of review for it. If I search for battery life I only get news articles from the past two days about what some people are calling...

Batterygate.

I hope we never get better batteries and they just invent an electrical outlet I can take on the go. In fact, keep going backwards! Don't even put a battery in it!

kaskade

Overcast was updated with 3d touch support on the home screen. Nice to be able to just 3d touch and play an episode.

Also, all the features are free now if you weren't using it before no reason not to. I thought of making a thread for it but wasn't sure if it's thread worthy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Then they go set up an Apple appointment to get it replaced. I can just imagine them standing there "Nope, that has a Samsung too! I demand you bring out another device. Nope, that's Samsung too! Another! ..yep TMSC, thank you!".

Just use the device and enjoy it or go buy something else.
Apple's products are so expensive and margins on them so insanely huge, that I don't think anyone should have any moral issues doing something like this, as long as they are allowed to. Since you are allowed to return a product within 15 days for no other reason that you don't like it, I don't see why you wouldn't take advantage of that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Overcast was updated with 3d touch support on the home screen. Nice to be able to just 3d touch and play an episode.

Also, all the features are free now if you weren't using it before no reason not to. I thought of making a thread for it but wasn't sure if it's thread worthy.
It's awesome you mean. I love this new ability to resume my podcast in one touch.

Jeremy

I really can't decide between picking this phone up or just getting a flip phone for a while.

I bought the iPhone 6 shortly after release but had a bad car wreck that destroyed it in July. I had it replaced through Verizon's insurance program (Asurion, who charges a $200 deductible for a refurbished phone), received it on a Friday and dropped it that night in my driveway before I could put it in a case.

The glass slowly started falling out in the bottom right corner but one piece in particular fell out and the screen glitched immediately. I keep my iPhone in my back pocket so the housing bends and they have to completely replace the phone if it's bent.

So I have an iPhone 6 on Verizon's Edge program that will cost about $600 to pay off completely. I could replace it for $200 through Asurion, which I also don't have. Or I could get a $50 flip phone and just wait it out until I'm able to pay off the iPhone 6 and then purchase the 6S (AND A CASE).

Ninja Dom

I suppose it depends on when you got to the iPhone after it had shutdown. Maybe it had cooled. Happened to me once overnight and my Home Button wasn't hot, but I don't know how long it had been shutdown for.

JaseMath

So it looks like my service provider screwed up and I might have gotten a free iPhone out of it. I called to pay it off yesterday and was told I had a zero balance and didn't owe anything. Wouldn't surprise me given all the confusion and fuckery while switching providers.

Fingers crosssed.

Wizman23

Banned
Any of you having issues with 3D Touch? I notice after awhile the haptic feedback "pop" stops working when you press the screen. It still works as intended, but without the feedback. Restarting the phone fixed the problem, but still I shouldn't have to do that

Iolo

For some reason, my status bar icon won't stop spinning if I'm on the "desktop". Going into apps like safari for example, doesn't activate the spinning unless there's some web activity. It also won't spin if it put it in airplane mode.

I've disabled a shit load of cellular data on apps that don't need it. Tried low power mode. Restarted phone.

I have unlimited t-mobile LTE data, so idc about exceeding a limit.. I'm just worried about it sucking my battery life.

Has anyone experienced this on their 6s?

If you restored from icloud check whether your icloud backup is still trying to restore.

derek212

I have a question!

I have an 5s on a 2yr contract that ended last week. If I do the next program do I need to send it in or do I keep it ?

//ARCANUM

Got a question here:

So I have an iPhone 6s on the Apple Upgrade Program. I'm within my return period. I want to take it back to the apple store and have it exchanged for another one because I believe my battery is defective. It's behavior is not consistent with anyone else's i've seen, it is draining incredibly quick with very few background refresh apps on and not heavy usage. (for example the other night it hit 20% and I put it on low power mode. in less than an hour - probably 30-40 mins - it had dropped to 15% just sitting in my pocket. again on LOW POWER MODE.)

So what is the process? Will they just scan mine back in and scan me a new one and that's it? Or will they have to cancel out the whole financing agreement, refund my money, and then start the process all over again, re-checking my credit and all that? I'm sure some of you have done this for the whole Samsung to TSMC swap, so I'm wondering what the experience is.

Thanks!

and I'm on Verizon if it makes a difference.

emag

After a few days of using my new iPhone 6s, I've disabled both 3D Touch (via Settings->General->Accessibility) and Live Photos (via the icon in the Camera app).

As a new parent, I'm right in the target demographic for Live Photos -- I bought the 6s largely for the camera. However, I just can't get over the low framerate and the jarring transition on 3D Touch (or long-press). It doesn't help that there isn't any indication that an image is a Live Photo in the Photos app. Am I capturing/using/viewing Live Photos incorrectly or are these just not meaningful concerns for others?

I didn't/don't expect 3D Touch to reach its full potential anytime soon, but it doesn't seem to fit in my workflow at all. Peeking/popping (hold with medium pressure to preview, then press harder to open) in Safari and Mail seems like more of a hassle than just clicking through to the webpage/email. On the homescreen, Maps has a useful shortcut (route home), but the "shortcuts" (hard-press, select from a pop-up menu) in general are just as intensive as opening the respective apps and selecting the respective tab (e.g., stop-watch for the Clock app). Moreover, even with the 3D Touch sensitivity adjusted to the lightest setting, I have to exert much more pressure than I'm comfortable with to activate the feature (even my mom doesn't press touchscreen buttons that hard anymore). Discover-ability is also poor -- it's really unclear what objects can be 3D Touched (although in the apps I've tried, the functionality is mostly limited to peek/pop). Are others finding 3D Touch more useful than I am?

[On another note, I still feel that the 6/6s is too big. I loved the 5C's shape and size (although I never owned one myself). Unfortunately, it has dated internals. The 5S is still very capable, however, and I'm attempting to convince my wife to trade hers with my 6S.]

//ARCANUM

After a few days of using my new iPhone 6s, I've disabled both 3D Touch (via Settings->General->Accessibility) and Live Photos (via the icon in the Camera app).

As a new parent, I'm right in the target demographic for Live Photos -- I bought the 6s largely for the camera. However, I just can't get over the low framerate and the jarring transition on 3D Touch (or long-press). It doesn't help that there isn't any indication that an image is a Live Photo in the Photos app. Am I capturing/using/viewing Live Photos incorrectly or are these just not meaningful concerns for others?

the symbol at the top of the camera screen that has the 3 circles is the live photo button. if it's yellow then it's a live photo, to turn off live photo you just tap it and make it white.

t88ZoPd.jpg

edit - OH whoops you mean wether its a live photo in the actual PHOTOS app. yeah it seems like they would have an auto album for live photos, but they don't for some reason :/ only way you can tell if it's live is if you swipe into it and it moves a little during the swipe. it's an odd omission for sure.

samn

the symbol at the top of the camera screen that has the 3 circles is the live photo button. if it's yellow then it's a live photo, to turn off live photo you just tap it and make it white.

yes they know that, they were asking about the Photos app

As for your question about the exchange, I'm sure it would be processed like any other for a faulty device - they take the old one, check the battery's faulty, then swap it for a new one. You shouldn't need to mess around with financing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I find hat a little odd as a complaint. Sure, they aren't exactly Harry Potter magic photos, but they still show motion before and after the moment the photo was taken. I've had similar on my Windows phone previously and loved them - they are *perfect* for candid family shots. Think how you look at an old photo and it brings back memories. Now think how that feeling might be amplified by seeing the person come to life for a moment.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to disable it. Does it affect the quality of the main photo it takes?

emag

So hard going back to my iPad Mini 4 without 3D Touch. It's awesome.

May I inquire as to which situations you find 3D Touch useful? (I do love the multitouch gestures on iPads for task switching and returning to the home screen.)

I'm not sure why you feel the need to disable it. Does it affect the quality of the main photo it takes?

In low light conditions, the main photo is slightly degraded with Live Photos turned on. The feature also uses additional storage when enabled.

Live Photos seem to be a bad compromise for me. I'd rather just record high quality video (which admittedly requires a lot more storage). I can believe that others might find the tradeoffs worthwhile. I could probably live with the 12 fps low quality video if there wasn't the abrupt, jarring transition to the picture in the middle.

Kama_1082

Banned
May I inquire as to which situations you find 3D Touch useful? (I do love the multitouch gestures on iPads for task switching and returning to the home screen.)

In low light conditions, the main photo is slightly degraded with Live Photos turned on. The feature also uses additional storage when enabled.

Live Photos seem to be a bad compromise for me. I'd rather just record high quality video (which admittedly requires a lot more storage). I can believe that others might find the tradeoffs worthwhile. I could probably live with the 12 fps low quality video if there wasn't the abrupt, jarring transition to the picture in the middle.

Using it for links as well as the trackpad has made it worth it for me

Okay there must have been some defect with my OPO for me to get worse battery life from that than my Apple Galaxy 6S considering the latter is supposed to be relatively mediocre to bad in that department.

Ninja Dom

On the 6S as you scroll through the photos in Photos app each Live Photo will play 2 frames before displaying the static main pic. This is how you tell it's a Live Photo.

The Live Photo icon flashes up briefly when you scroll onto a Live Photo in the Photos app on an iPad.

I love Live Photos. The telling thing about my 6S is that I've had it two weeks now (launch day) and I've already taken almost 300 pics and videos with it. Live Photos, static photos, panoramas, 60fps video and 4K video. I absolutely love it. I've taken far more photos with the 6S this year than this time last year with the 6.

Live Photos take practice. Learn your lighting conditions. Low light doesn't work well, and the flash can take getting used to. Remember that it's "recording" while the word LIVE is at the top of your screen. Get it all right and Live Photos can be wonderful.

My lock screen is a Live Photo of my 7 year old daughter and it's fantastic. Great photo that looks really nice when it animates. It's impressive.

If you edit a Live Photo, do the colour/bright/contrast changes you've made to the still image apply to the before and after images (live) images?

Reckoner

iPhone 6s slim shell anker case looks pretty cool. Just a suggestion for folks looking out for a cheap case. It's 15 euros on Amazon.de.

Admodieus

Thinking of coming over from Android, partly for the synergy with my MBP. I know the basics of iMessage on the desktop and Continuity, but are there any other benefits that I can expect to use?

The best part of the 3D Touch for me is the App Switcher gesture. You can have your hand centered on the big iPhone 6S Plus screen, and never have to reach down or adjust your grip to hit the Home button. I now use the 3D Touch App Switcher gesture as my primary method to open/switch between apps, and hardly ever use the home button outside of unlocking the phone.

The problem is it’s still one gesture too many to get back to the Home Screen from there (3D Touch Swipe, then swipe to the right, tap, tap app).

Kito

[On another note, I still feel that the 6/6s is too big. I loved the 5C's shape and size (although I never owned one myself). Unfortunately, it has dated internals. The 5S is still very capable, however, and I'm attempting to convince my wife to trade hers with my 6S.]

Last week I purchased the 5s again (this time 32Gb) over the 6s because of the size issue. Hopefully iPhone 6c or iPhone 7 have a 4" version.

Top Bottom