• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

LordOfChaos

That's true, but having thought about it a bit I'm not sure it really matters.

Nobody plays heavy games for an entire battery cycle. If they only game for 1-2 hours then they'll only see the 20% variation for that 1-2 hours. The battery will drain at a consistent rate for the rest of the cycle.

I'm happy with Apple's answer, for now.

Yeah, there's that. For more idle workloads they said the difference was 1-2%, so unless you game on it for more than one or two hours it won't make a huge difference in the end.

It's still just interesting from the perspective of seeing the same chip on the same generation of fabrication plants, just with two different plants and thus different results. And the larger one doing better, at that.

Guys please please please, I need help!

The notification bar is stuck on my phone covering the top half of my screen and I can't do anything with the phone. I can't see who's calling, I can't make phone calls or text, see other notifications, just nothing. It's stuck with 80% battery left and it isn't going to bleed fast enough before I have to leave tomorrow. I can't shut off the phone because the slide is being blocked by the notification bar.

Is there anyway to reset the phone without losing all my stuff?

The notification bar is stuck on my phone covering the top half of my screen and I can't do anything with the phone. I can't see who's calling, I can't make phone calls or text, see other notifications, just nothing. It's stuck with 80% battery left and it isn't going to bleed fast enough before I have to leave tomorrow. I can't shut off the phone because the slide is being blocked by the notification bar.

Hold the sleep/wake button for 10 seconds, then hold the home button (while still holding the sleep/wake button) then the phone should do a restart.

what chip is it?

Thank you so much! I was looking online but all of them said that doing this would hard reset your phone. Phew, thanks much!

I don't even know how to look for this. Where would I find it?

Hope that works for you. I don't think even if you hold onto the buttons all the way through it would do a hard reset (like deleting stuff?) it's the equivalent of sliding to power off and turning it on again.

Here's the instructions for finding the chip maker.

Getting real tired of your crap, TSMC-folk.

I'll trade u dis phone 4 urs
Oh, and i throw in 1 more Samsung phone. U can have 2 Sams.

Thank you so much! I was looking online but all of them said that doing this would hard reset your phone. Phew, thanks much!

"Hard reset" is just kind of the iPhone community term for a forced reboot of the device. There's no way using the hardware buttons to wipe your iPhone or delete any content.

The wife and I are looking to upgrade our 5s's and keep our unlimited data plan from back in the OG iPhone days. We went to AT&Ts website, and the option for the traditional subsidized 2 year contract doesn't show up. My understanding is that there is some convoluted way to still get this option via their website, but I'm coming up short. Any advice?

Anion

Word is on the street the the TSMC iPhone has passed the Turing Test and in already obtained the solution for ending all cancer.

Lol

Red

I know real world difference in battery life is negligible, but I can't say I wasn't relieved to see I got TSMC.

The 6s+ is beautifully smooth and has great features. I did not realize it had landscape tab support in Safari, which is awesome. There are a lot of little improvements that add up to a more robust workspace than iOS on a smaller device. But man, I am typing on my 5S and it feels so much more comfortable, especially using my non dominant hand. It's going to be tough leaving this form factor.

Got 2534/4313 on geekbench. Pretty happy.

The 6s+ also charges faster than my 5s. Is that a new thing? I'm using my 5s's USB cable, plugged directly into the wall (no brick). This is the same set up I used for my 5s, which sipped a charge, whereas this 6s+ got to 15% from empty in around 5 minutes.

Anyone here on Verizon with info on 6S+ arrival estimates? I'd like to trade up, but my 14 day exchange period ends next Wednesday and I'm not sure if they'll have any Plusses in stock by then.

They will start the swap and allow you to send in your 6S when you get the plus.

Reckoner

Just think of the horror it will be when people send their TSMC phones for repair for whatever reason and get a Sammy one in return.

Dark days those will be.

Fun story time!

On the night preorders went up, I ordered a 64GB Space Grey 6s Plus T-Mobile phone. T-Mobile because I was buying it full price anyway, despite me having AT&T. No big deal, phone arrives and I pop my SIM card in, easy peasy. Works just as intended.

Now I never wanted to keep the full price phone, I can't afford that. Every time I looked at my credit card bill I cried a little. So my plan was to use it until I reserved an AT&T model of the same variety at my local Apple Store to do the iPhone Upgrade Program with. However, there's a 14 day return window and in that time none of my local stores were getting any of my model in. Today was the 13th day, so it was kinda getting down to the wire. Someone who I know who works at the store says "Dude, I have your solution! Just return the phone you have, instantly rebuy that exact model on the IUP."

I say "That will work?" He says yeah, all the store has to do is return the phone, move the item back into "sellable" in their internal system, and resell it to me on the IUP. Perfect, I thought! A flawless solution! So I do just that, I return my current 6s+ with the intent to rebuy it a second later, but this time on the IUP instead of it costing $900+

I totally forgot I ordered a T-Mobile phone and I have AT&T. Yes this matters, since the phone HAS to be activated, and their process will only register a T-Mobile phone as activate-able on T-Mobile

So I return the phone, see the receipt and go "Oh shit, I totally forgot this is a T-Mobile." So my entire plan falls apart. I'm in the store without a phone because I just returned it, I'm unable to rebuy it on the IUP because it's not on my carrier, and I'm unable to rebuy it anyway because it takes a few days for the refund to go through and I don't feel good putting another $900 on my credit card

So yeah. I'm back to using a 6 Plus because I forgot what model of phone I ordered

PreFire

For some reason, my status bar icon won't stop spinning if I'm on the "desktop". Going into apps like safari for example, doesn't activate the spinning unless there's some web activity. It also won't spin if it put it in airplane mode.

I've disabled a shit load of cellular data on apps that don't need it. Tried low power mode. Restarted phone.

I have unlimited t-mobile LTE data, so idc about exceeding a limit.. I'm just worried about it sucking my battery life.

Has anyone experienced this on their 6s?

jts

...hate me...
Sales just opened up here, 128GB Plus sold out.

This is my current usage profile on a 5:

zroP4ko.jpg

Should I settle for the 64GB Plus or just wait out?

Sales just opened up here, 128GB Plus sold out.

This is my current usage profile on a 5:

Should I settle for the 64GB Plus or just wait out?

Why would that be settling, you have tons of free space left. Unless you see your usage ramping up by a lot

jts

...hate me...
Why would that be settling, you have tons of free space left. Unless you see your usage ramping up by a lot
I'm thinking stuff like thirst for more content on that big screen (apps, videos), plus 12Mpx photos, slo-mo video (ocasional 4K for fun), etc can spike up my storage needs quite a bit, though mitigated by iCloud.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm thinking stuff like thirst for more content on that big screen (apps, videos), plus 12Mpx photos, slo-mo video (ocasional 4K for fun), etc can spike up my storage needs quite a bit, though mitigated by iCloud.

Can't you set it so that the 12mp photos are automatically uploaded to iCloud and it keeps device optimised smaller versions on the device?

Anyway, 14GB should be enough for tons of photos - 12mp Jpegs aren't taking up a huge amount more space than 8mp ones

Red

For some reason, my status bar icon won't stop spinning if I'm on the "desktop". Going into apps like safari for example, doesn't activate the spinning unless there's some web activity. It also won't spin if it put it in airplane mode.

I've disabled a shit load of cellular data on apps that don't need it. Tried low power mode. Restarted phone.

I have unlimited t-mobile LTE data, so idc about exceeding a limit.. I'm just worried about it sucking my battery life.

Has anyone experienced this on their 6s?
Maybe an iOS bug? You on 9.0.2?

I think the phone dos that while it's indexing.

Is there a way to change the frame you want your Live photo to stay on? I have a photo that's a flash of white light but when I play it there's a few frames that would make a good photo.. any way to do this? Obvs aware that the frame I pick won't be as good quality as a regular photo but better than a white light of nothing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just tried out the 6S and 6S plus in a store. Still don't know which to get. The 6 felt lovely in the hand and pocket, whereas the plus felt a bit precarious in the hand (fits in my pocket ok). But the browsing real estate of the plus is really nice, and the slightly larger font doesn't hurt as I get older ;)

This is compared to my current z3 which is a 5.2" screen in a phone roughly halfway between the two iphones in size. I had a z3 compact for a while which has a 4.7" screen but it felt a bit small. But then 5.5" feels big (especially with apples bezels).

Also have to consider when I'll use it. Likely when I get home the phone will mostly sit unused as I'll use my iPad air 2. Although I've thought about going 6+ and ditching the iPad, I think I'd miss the size of the iPad too much. Really not sure.

BTW, is there any way to adjust the inertia on scrolling? On android, chrome has a really nice feeling which let's you flick and scroll down a long page quickly - good for eg gaf pages where you want to get near the bottom quickly. But on iPhone it seemed very 'sticky' - you'd flick and then It'd screech to a halt quickly. Felt heavy and not great.

samn

BTW, is there any way to adjust the inertia on scrolling? On android, chrome has a really nice feeling which let's you flick and scroll down a long page quickly - good for eg gaf pages where you want to get near the bottom quickly. But on iPhone it seemed very 'sticky' - you'd flick and then It'd screech to a halt quickly. Felt heavy and not great.

No, but if you scroll quickly a few times in succession, it will accelerate.

Red

Don't know if it's me being nuts but I'm like 90% sure my framexframe exam is not the same colored gold as my phone. It's close but not the same.

Business

Also have to consider when I'll use it. Likely when I get home the phone will mostly sit unused as I'll use my iPad air 2. Although I've thought about going 6+ and ditching the iPad, I think I'd miss the size of the iPad too much. Really not sure.

Was considering the same the other day at the Apple store and decided that, although the extra screen real state is nice, at the end of the day it's still not good enough to substitute the iPad air I have at home.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I wonder if enough people complain Apple would make Samsung do something about it.

Why would Samsung need to do anything? As an Apple vendor, they would have been provided specs they needed to meet for any supplied components. If they didn't meet those specs, Apple would not have accepted the parts. If you're mad at someone, be mad at Apple.

Ninja Dom

Is there a way to change the frame you want your Live photo to stay on? I have a photo that's a flash of white light but when I play it there's a few frames that would make a good photo.. any way to do this? Obvs aware that the frame I pick won't be as good quality as a regular photo but better than a white light of nothing.

From what I can tell, it isn't possible. I use a Mac and before the El Capitan update, a Live Photo had a picture and a separate movie when it was viewed in Photos app on Mac. Since the El Capitan update the Photos app now displays the Live Photo as a single picture that animates.

So it seems a Live Photo is a picture and a movie file stitched together. I haven't yet put a Live Photo into iMovie to see what can be done with it yet.

LordOfChaos

I wonder if enough people complain Apple would make Samsung do something about it.

It's in a fabrication plants best interests to have competitive performance per watt, and I'm sure Apple tried to get them to be closer already. The problems are larger than Samsung just needing a nudge, I'm sure. Different fabrication plants, on the same generation of shrink, always have differences like this. Apple and Samsung will have already tried.

I expect in the coming months as both fabs mature, we'll see better characteristics from both as well, so it may even out or they may even swap spots.

jts

...hate me...
Ordered the 128GB 6s Plus in Space Grey from a different provider. Screw it (it’s still unlocked, can use with my current provider).

Now a new wait begins.

And distressful thoughts about what chip I’ll get. Sometimes I dream it’s a TSMC. I just don’t want to wake up from that.

It's in a fabrication plants best interests to have competitive performance per watt, and I'm sure Apple tried to get them to be closer already. The problems are larger than Samsung just needing a nudge, I'm sure. Different fabrication plants, on the same generation of shrink, always have differences like this. Apple and Samsung will have already tried.

I expect in the coming months as both fabs mature, we'll see better characteristics from both as well, so it may even out or they may even swap spots.

Yeah, I'm thinking Samsung is within the specs now but Apple could be nudging for better performance in future chips or else TSMC gets the bulk of the future orders. Also may influence A10 chips. Samsung will be motivated to get better since they're not the sole supplier this time.

Ninja Dom

AnandTech Conclusion said:
Wrapping things up then, where do we stand? The short answer is that all we know is that we don't know. What we know is that there isn't enough information currently out there to accurately determine whether the TSMC or Samsung A9 SoC has better power consumption, and more importantly just how large any difference might be. 1-on-1 comparisons under controlled conditions can provide us with some insight in to how the TSMC and Samsung A9s compare, but due to the natural variation in chip quality, it's possible to end up testing two atypical phones and never know it.

At the end of the article.

Man this chip stuff has blown up!

It's always the same with Apple products. Do you have an LG/Samsung display? Well, the LG is better because it doesn't have image retention! Do you have a Samsung/Toshiba SSD? Well, the Samsung is better because the read/write speeds are much faster! Do you have a TSMC/Samsung chip? Well, the TSMC is better because better battery life!

It just makes people paranoid and feel like their device is inferior. Then they go set up an Apple appointment to get it replaced. I can just imagine them standing there "Nope, that has a Samsung too! I demand you bring out another device. Nope, that's Samsung too! Another! ..yep TMSC, thank you!".

Is it just Apple that this happens to or do people do it for other products???

Just use the device and enjoy it or go buy something else.

jts

...hate me...
Man this chip stuff has blown up!

It's always the same with Apple products. Do you have an LG/Samsung display? Well, the LG is better because it doesn't have image retention! Do you have a Samsung/Toshiba SSD? Well, the Samsung is better because the read/write speeds are much faster! Do you have a TSMC/Samsung chip? Well, the TSMC is better because better battery life!

It just makes people paranoid and feel like their device is inferior. Then they go set up an Apple appointment to get it replaced. I can just imagine them standing there "Nope, that has a Samsung too! I demand you bring out another device. Nope, that's Samsung too! Another! ..yep TMSC, thank you!".

Is it just Apple that this happens to or do people do it for other products???

Just use the device and enjoy it or go buy something else.
There’s a few instances with stuff like TVs getting different quality panels, also portable consoles etc. I’m pretty sure even cars have had this kind of issues sometimes.

I guess it’s just all the more annoying the more expensive the products. But c’mon, I really can’t blame consumers. They make all these brands rich as hell and there’s nothing good coming out of shaking their trust and buying confidence.

Top Bottom