• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't know why but the icons suddenly disappeared in the updates section of the app store.

Any way to fix this? I really don't wanna restore the whole phone for just this. :(

I concur with some others in this thread, it's got to be a server-side thing for Apple. It was not happening a few days ago. It should clear itself up on its own when they fix it.

Garou

I have now had two bricked new Iphone 6S devices in the space of 4 hours. After many years I've finally upgraded this morning, and apparently there is an issue where if your old iphone is not at IOS 9.0.2 it can brick the phone.

My old iphone is a 3GS, so can't ever be on IOS 9.0.2. So both times I've tried to restore the new phone from back up, it bricks the phone - it gets stuck in an automatic loop trying to install the software, and it's literally impossible to break. Factory reset from within Itunes won't do it, reset using the buttons on the phone won't do it - nothing.

I'm really shocked to be honest - I've had apple products for years since the first gen Ipod, and never known anything like this to happen.

So now I have to return a second iphone to the shop I bought it from, and can't transfer over *anything* from my existing iphone - contacts, music, apps, saved data, anything.

Utterly shocked by how shite the 6S and Itunes has proven to be, and how the hell Apple has managed to release such an incredibly easy bug into the wild that literally bricks your phone.

(Sorry I needed to rant because I've wasted a day doing this and travel back and forth).

You should be able to get into DFU-mode on any iPhone:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-enter-dfu-mode-on-your-iphone/

After you reset it back to 9.0.2 try a restore through iCloud-backup, not iTunes, that's supported on iOS6 which is on your 3GS.

Vyer

I have now had two bricked new Iphone 6S devices in the space of 4 hours. After many years I've finally upgraded this morning, and apparently there is an issue where if your old iphone is not at IOS 9.0.2 it can brick the phone.

My old iphone is a 3GS, so can't ever be on IOS 9.0.2. So both times I've tried to restore the new phone from back up, it bricks the phone - it gets stuck in an automatic loop trying to install the software, and it's literally impossible to break. Factory reset from within Itunes won't do it, reset using the buttons on the phone won't do it - nothing.

I'm really shocked to be honest - I've had apple products for years since the first gen Ipod, and never known anything like this to happen.

So now I have to return a second iphone to the shop I bought it from, and can't transfer over *anything* from my existing iphone - contacts, music, apps, saved data, anything.

Utterly shocked by how shite the 6S and Itunes has proven to be, and how the hell Apple has managed to release such an incredibly easy bug into the wild that literally bricks your phone.

(Sorry I needed to rant because I've wasted a day doing this and travel back and forth).

what was the 3GS on? I mean I don't even know when that was last supported as far as iOS releases go. That was even before iCloud handled stuff like restores when it comes to Contacts and such.

Your old phone doesn't have to be a 9.0.2 to restore, but at least something that would get you an icloud backup. It sounds like you haven't updated even your 3GS software in a long time.

honestly other than contacts so many apps have probably moved on since then you probably would have had issues with a lot of compatibility anyway.

Juice

That sucks a lot. The only thing I can imagine doing is to perhaps restore to an intermediate device like an iPad, iPod touch, or older iPhone and upgrade.

I'm on team StartFresh. Which really only forfeits my activity and health data since everything else is in cloud services for me these days

Maximus.

I've grown to really like the size of the plus. I have large hands and it makes it easy to grip. I have gotten used to using two hands for certain functions. I like the weight and size for holding and typing. When watching YouTube or Netlfix with one hand, sometimes I do get a bit tired, but it's a much more enjoyable viewing experience. The battery life is great too, it lasts me a day/ 1.5 days. Going back to holding the 5S or 6, they feel so tiny and weird now. Crazy how a few weeks ago I thought the plus was this insanely large phone, but now I prefer it.

Red

I've grown to really like the size of the plus. I have large hands and it makes it easy to grip. I have gotten used to using two hands for certain functions. I like the weight and size for holding and typing. When watching YouTube or Netlfix with one hand, sometimes I do get a bit tired, but it's a much more enjoyable viewing experience. The battery life is great too, it lasts me a day/ 1.5 days. Going back to holding the 5S or 6, they feel so tiny and weird now. Crazy how a few weeks ago I thought the plus was this insanely large phone, but now I prefer it.
There are many functions I still prefer on my 5s. Typing, use as a podcast/music player, pedometer, etc. The 6s+ is much better for reading, viewing photos, and other visual media. I actually like the 5s more as a phone, although I get better reception on my 6s+.

Although typing on my 5s feels better, the size of the 6s+ presents it as a better productivity device. I have pages and docs installed on my 6s+ and they have been useful. I never considered using them on the 5s.

I am a little disappointed there is no Scrivener app available on iOS. I thought there was, but must have dreamt it.

So in 26 mins of just being on the phone browsing the web, snapchat, and messing with settings..I went from 80% to 75%. Would that be considered good for a 6S Plus TSMC 😨?

Red

So in 26 mins of just being on the phone browsing the web, snapchat, and messing with settings..I went from 80% to 75%. Would that be considered good for a 6S Plus TSMC 😨?
5%/26 minutes screen on time. 26 minutes*20 = 520 minutes. A little more than 8.5 hours screen on time. Sounds pretty good to me.

Robot Pants

Wow fuck AT&T and their Next bullshit.
I checked out everything last week, went on my ATT account and looked at my upgrade options and they had the option for the 64gb 6s for TWO YEARS. Knocks 450 off the price immediately.

Now that I can buy the phone, that option is nowhere to be seen. Only no contract, or their next bullshit which I refuse to be a part of.

Might have to switch carriers.

edit: ok wow. for anyone using chrome or opera, ATT is having a problem with their website.
The two year option WILL NOT show up.. (hmmm interesting)
But it will on IE. Very stupid. Didnt have this problem last week.....

Ninja Dom

Not true. There are plenty of apps on the app store that will tell you which chip you have, including the latest version of Geekbench 3.

Sorry guys, I stand corrected.

I've just had my second shutdown on my 6S

I fell asleep for about 4 hours and got woken by an incoming FaceTime call. Except it was only ringing on my iPad instead of both my iPad and iPhone. I thought it was odd. I went to my iPhone and it looked like it was off.

BUT I also have an Apple Watch and there was no lost connection icon on the Watch AND pinging the iPhone from the Watch still worked, the iPhone responded. No new data was loading from the Watch and the last fresh data the Watch received was 2 hours prior.

So I still had to restart the iPhone by holding the lock button and Home button together. Second random shutdown since receiving on launch day. No hot Touch ID (iPhone could have shut off earlier and cooled), Samsung chip.

Maximus.

There are many functions I still prefer on my 5s. Typing, use as a podcast/music player, pedometer, etc. The 6s+ is much better for reading, viewing photos, and other visual media. I actually like the 5s more as a phone, although I get better reception on my 6s+.

Although typing on my 5s feels better, the size of the 6s+ presents it as a better productivity device. I have pages and docs installed on my 6s+ and they have been useful. I never considered using them on the 5s.

I am a little disappointed there is no Scrivener app available on iOS. I thought there was, but must have dreamt it.

I do miss the idea of a small smartphone. Before, I thought the 5/5S was perfect. My gf still uses a 5S and I still enjoy it. It's just that now that I have been able to use the 6/6S Plus, I have adjusted and enjoy what they offer as well. Phones have gotten really big, but right now I don't mind.

Magnus

How much should I be able to get for my iPhone 5S 16gb Rogers? New battery in there. Very very minor scratch on the side frame. Screen's perfect. In box and packaging.

(Cross post from another thread)

Gawge

I know this is the iPhone thread, but any opinions on 6s v s6 v z5?

Looking to upgrade from my s4, never had an iPhone before. Hearing mixed reviews of all three.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
After a few days with the 6s+ I have to say I am really impressed with the phone. Outside of a few weird iOS bugs (mostly Settings freezing at launch) it is so pleasant to use. The 2GB of RAM improves the experience more than I had anticipated.

Does anyone have suggestions for swiping keyboards? One thing that feels less good with the + is typing, since the phone is so big and every time I lift my thumb I lose a point of contact.

Are there any one handed keyboards optimised for 6+? Eg smaller keyboard shifts over to one side of the screen?

Looking to upgrade from my s4, never had an iPhone before. Hearing mixed reviews of all three.

Mixed reviews of the 6s? I think I've only heard positive things about it. It really depends on if you want an iPhone or something Android based.

Don't know about the Z5, but I would get a 6S over an S6 any day of the week. S6 runs snappy for maybe the first 4 weeks and then becomes a stuttery mess with garbage battery life. Every. Damn. Time.

Akira

Honestly, having read the GS6 thread there seems to be major shortcomings with the phone such as stuttering performance (maybe due to Touchwiz) and awful battery life. Its specs and build are probably the best Samsung has done so far, but I'm hearing a lot of people switching GS6 to iPhone. The Z5, I'm not sure about but if you like the Omnibalance design go for it. The Z2/Z3 battery life was quite beastly from reading reviews. Z5 looks to continue that.

Back in 2012, I was actually looking forward to the Xperia Z line. I was on my iPhone 4 that was on its last leg. I was following rumors daily about the Z flagship, even starting a thread here on OT. Eventually in Fall 2013, I ended up with the Nexus 5 which I was happy with in the beginning. But the experience quickly deteriorated and battery life went from decent to abysmal. Random apps crashing, phone shutting down, keyboard disappearing when trying to type (this was the most annoying thing), and phone heating up from app background activity. And this was on stock Android with little to no customization.

Two years with Android was enough from me to swear ever returning. Obviously, people have different experiences with Android / iPhone but for me unless Apple majorly changes the quality and direction of iPhone I'll probably stick with them. Fast forward to now, and I'm so happy with my iPhone 6S Plus TSMC Edition®. Last night I thought I plugged in my phone to charge, only to see in the morning that the charger wasn't plugged in. The battery was at 20% after 9 hrs of usage (Youtube, Skype, Music, Facebook, and browsing mostly) and 36 hrs of standby. And that's without using Low Power mode.

Ninja Dom

Why do you reckon Apple never added or used the folding plug design from Watch on the 6S and 6S Plus?

watch.jpg

Gawge

Mixed reviews of the 6s? I think I've only heard positive things about it. It really depends on if you want an iPhone or something Android based.

Don't know about the Z5, but I would get a 6S over an S6 any day of the week. S6 runs snappy for maybe the first 4 weeks and then becomes a stuttery mess with garbage battery life. Every. Damn. Time.

Honestly, having read the GS6 thread there seems to be major shortcomings with the phone such as stuttering performance (maybe due to Touchwiz) and awful battery life. Its specs and build are probably the best Samsung has done so far, but I'm hearing a lot of people switching GS6 to iPhone. The Z5, I'm not sure about but if you like the Omnibalance design go for it. The Z2/Z3 battery life was quite beastly from reading reviews. Z5 looks to continue that.

Back in 2012, I was actually looking forward to the Xperia Z line. I was on my iPhone 4 that was on its last leg. I was following rumors daily about the Z flagship, even starting a thread here on OT. Eventually in Fall 2013, I ended up with the Nexus 5 which I was happy with in the beginning. But the experience quickly deteriorated and battery life went from decent to abysmal. Random apps crashing, phone shutting down, keyboard disappearing when trying to type (this was the most annoying thing), and phone heating up from app background activity. And this was on stock Android with little to no customization.

Two years with Android was enough from me to swear ever returning. Obviously, people have different experiences with Android / iPhone but for me unless Apple majorly changes the quality and direction of iPhone I'll probably stick with them. Fast forward to now, and I'm so happy with my iPhone 6S Plus TSMC Edition®. Last night I thought I plugged in my phone to charge, only to see in the morning that the charger wasn't plugged in. The battery was at 20% after 9 hrs of usage (Youtube, Skype, Music, Facebook, and browsing mostly) and 36 hrs of standby. And that's without using Low Power mode.

Thanks for this!

I'm not set on Android or anything. The S4 has served me fairly well until the last 6 months or so - battery life usually lasts me a day but sometimes heats up and drains super quick. More annoying are some issues with the microphone, and storage issues after 20 months of software updates (even though I have an SD card, I can't even download the latest software update, barely have any apps, and had to move most of my pictures to my computer).

So yeah, maybe it's time from a change given I have heard misgivings about the S6. Might see whether I can get a better deal on the Z5 or the 6s.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Last week I purchased the 5s again (this time 32Gb) over the 6s because of the size issue. Hopefully iPhone 6c or iPhone 7 have a 4" version.
You're not going to see 4" phones anymore. Everything is getting bigger. The way the smartphone market is going, the 7 may have a 5" screen.

Ninja Dom

Are you in the UK? I didn't get a folding plug here in the US, just the standard one (iPhone, not iPad)

I think everybody got the folding plug with the Apple Watch, UK or US. I'm in the UK and as far as I'm aware there are no folding plugs with any of the iPhone models. Yes I got the folding plug with my UK Apple Watch.

I think everybody got the folding plug with the Apple Watch, UK or US. I'm in the UK and as far as I'm aware there are no folding plugs with any of the iPhone models. Yes I got the folding plug with my UK Apple Watch.
I didn't get a folding one with my watch, just a regular iPhone style one

sport, bought in june, US

Putzweg

Why do you reckon Apple never added or used the folding plug design from Watch on the 6S and 6S Plus?

watch.jpg

My guess is that it cost more money and probably there is enough production capabilities to supply the amount of adapters needed for the iPhone.

So i just walked in and upgraded to an iPhone 6S Silver 16 GB (I dont use more than 2-3 downloaded apps and the few photos i take i always dump onto my rmbp asap).

-Is there no way to make the scrolling faster in Safari?
-I must have totally missunderstood all the news because i thought the iPhone 6S because of the vibration engine would have the same "fake" trackpad technique as the new rMBP. I mean what is the freaking vibration engine taking up so much space all about then?! the small vibration feedback when i force touch?

Right, here in the US we didn't get a folding plug with the Watch. I've never even seen that thing before

LEGGZZZZ

Thinking about switching from my note 5 to a 6s plus. Went to the Apple Store, played around with one, it seems pretty nice, like the peep and pop. Just a little hesitant since I've never owned and iPhone (bought my sister a 5s). Anyone else Make the switch from Android to Apple?

samn

Right, here in the US we didn't get a folding plug with the Watch. I've never even seen that thing before

US plugs aren't nearly as painful to step on. Whereas UK plugs sit flat on their back with all three pins judding right into your foot.

Thinking about switching from my note 5 to a 6s plus. Went to the Apple Store, played around with one, it seems pretty nice, like the peep and pop. Just a little hesitant since I've never owned and iPhone (bought my sister a 5s). Anyone else Make the switch from Android to Apple?
I bought a used iPhone 6 the other day and made the switch for the first time forever since the last iPhone I owned was the 3GS. Overall I'm liking iOS a lot and the smoothness and fluidity feels really great coming from my old Android. There are a few quirks I already find annoying like how you still can't customize your home screen icons without everything getting rearranged when you try to do so and I also don't like how slow the scrolling is coming from Android.

Gaaraz

Fed up of waiting for a 64GB 6S Plus now (I've been checking constantly) so was just in the store and they had one 16GB.

I went to buy it, and the guy said it'd have less of one minute of video recording at 4K. The fuck? I'm not sure I believe him, assuming you get 10GB free on the device, and have 4GB of apps, that'd mean 1 minute of video is 6GB?!

Fed up of waiting for a 64GB 6S Plus now (I've been checking constantly) so was just in the store and they had one 16GB.

I went to buy it, and the guy said it'd have less of one minute of video recording at 4K. The fuck? I'm not sure I believe him, assuming you get 10GB free on the device, and have 4GB of apps, that'd mean 1 minute of video is 6GB?!
don't buy 16

dhonk

Don't get 16 for real.

A) Don't get a 16GB

B) a minute of video recording at 4K is 375MB

1 minute is 375mb. It's listed in the settings. The guy is an idiot.

He would be wrong. One minute of 4K video would take up about 375MB's so you'd get 32 minutes worth of 4K video if you used all your free storage towards it. That being said if you plan to be shooting in 4K a lot you'll probably want to get the 64GB model.

Honestly some people are going to tell you 16GB's isn't enough but depending on your uses it'll be fine. Right now I have 24 apps, a few playlists and a couple of pictures on my device and I still have 6.8GB's left with most of those apps being large sized games like Hearthstone.

B33

Banned
I purchased an OtterBox 6/6S Defender case for my iPhone 6S and it unfortunately didn't fit.

Are there any alternative cases you'd guys recommend?

Reckoner

I purchased an OtterBox 6/6S Defender case for my iPhone 6S and it unfortunately didn't fit.

I ordered a slim shell Anker case. Haven't tried yet - still waiting for the 6s 64gb to be available -, but seems like a good case for its price.

I'm not sure if this will fit any better, but I got this case for my mom when her Otterbox got super dirty/filled with some water and she liked it. Functionally it seems REALLY similar to the Otterbox which made me wonder why I used to pay $30+ more for the Otterbox.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTHU9BO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

dhonk

Just got a Cinder iPhone 6S screen protector and it's a 10/10 for me.

Force touch works great, same with Touch ID. Noticed no negative impact on anything. Also rocking a full DBrand wrap so I don't have any input on case compatibility.

Reckoner

I'm not sure if this will fit any better, but I got this case for my mom when her Otterbox got super dirty/filled with some water and she liked it. Functionally it seems REALLY similar to the Otterbox which made me wonder why I used to pay $30+ more for the Otterbox.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTHU9BO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How is that built in protector? I had a beetle supcase on my Nexus 6 and the protector was really, really bad.

How is that built in protector? I had a beetle supcase on my Nexus 6 and the protector was really, really bad.
It's pretty much exactly like the one in her Otterbox. The quality of it is fine, but as with the Otterbox it doesn't sit flush with the phone so the touch sensitivity isn't that great especially when you're typing something out, but she doesn't seem to mind much. I was originally just going to peel it out of the case and get her a glass protector instead, but the whole thing is glued together so I realize it would probably damage the case removing it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know if there is a way to copy across download podcasts from pocketcast from one device to another? I must have about 6GB of old episodes all on my android phone which i'dwant to move across to iPhone rather than redownloading (and many of the BBC ones aren't available anymore as they get deleted after 7 days)

Gaaraz

Thanks so much guys, managed to reserve a 128GB (more than I wanted) but panicked and picked the closest time. Have 15 minutes to get there and it's a 40 minute walk. Oops :/

Thanks so much guys, managed to reserve a 128GB (more than I wanted) but panicked and picked the closest time. Have 15 minutes to get there and it's a 40 minute walk. Oops :/

It's yours for three hours after your appointment , you're fine

I mean, try and get there ASAP as being timely helps them out a lot, but you got space

LEGGZZZZ

I bought a used iPhone 6 the other day and made the switch for the first time forever since the last iPhone I owned was the 3GS. Overall I'm liking iOS a lot and the smoothness and fluidity feels really great coming from my old Android. There are a few quirks I already find annoying like how you still can't customize your home screen icons without everything getting rearranged when you try to do so and I also don't like how slow the scrolling is coming from Android.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Yeah, I don't expect a perfect experience. I am more a Web browser though, and between better ram management and peep and pop, I'm thinking the 6s+ may be the better option. Anyone else care to share?

??? I've had both the 6s and now 6s Plus and both the otter boxes I bought for them fit perfectly.

Top Bottom