• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Bullza2o

I suppose it depends on when you got to the iPhone after it had shutdown. Maybe it had cooled. Happened to me once overnight and my Home Button wasn't hot, but I don't know how long it had been shutdown for.
That's true.

Did you or anyone with a similar situation replace your phone? I chatted with apple support and they said the hardware was fine. Was told to restore as new. Hope this fixes it...

OK so I spent a couple hours pricing new service plans and finalized so I am hyped for that new iPhone magic. Like a fool I walked into the store today in FL and expected a phone to be sitting there. NOPE. So I'm going to use the website and reserve a phone and time.

I'm going to get it through the Apple iPhone Upgrade program, so a couple questions:

When do the new phones for the day pop up in the reserve system? After midnight in my time zone? At store open? ???

I was sure of getting a 6s and that the plus was too big, then I used it in the store and I need the bigger screen.

The 6S+, so far does it seem that they have mostly the chip? Any stats out there? Besides the camera stabilization, and the longer battery life, and other huge differences?

As for cases. I want a minimal design, cause that Rose Gold is precious to my heart now. LOL

Any great cases that fellow GAFers would recommend?

Thanks all!

Oh damn one more question, I know that the Apple Upgrade program requires the phone to be activated there. I am switching from Verizon to ATT that day. Should I reserve a phone with an Verizon activation, then later than day swap SIM cards at ATT once my number is transferred? I've never had an unlocked phone before so pardon my ignorance. ;)

Gaaraz

Popped into the Apple store quite a few times now with no luck of getting a 64GB 6S Plus. Only in San Francisco for one more day then into Vegas where I think I'll have even less luck. Getting close to giving up now :(

Popped into the Apple store quite a few times now with no luck of getting a 64GB 6S Plus. Only in San Francisco for one more day then into Vegas where I think I'll have even less luck. Getting close to giving up now :(

The site says they open reserves up again at 8am for the Upgrade Program so I'm hopeful. Got an event tomorrow evening and it would be cool to cover it with an upgraded camera.

Gaaraz

Thanks, can I reserve using that and just pay outright when I get there? Even so, I've been checking all day and had no luck with a 64GB :( Saw a few 16GB Rose Golds though

The site says they open reserves up again at 8am for the Upgrade Program so I'm hopeful. Got an event tomorrow evening and it would be cool to cover it with an upgraded camera.

Thanks, can I reserve using that and just pay outright when I get there? Even so, I've been checking all day and had no luck with a 64GB :( Saw a few 16GB Rose Golds though

My local stores have received NO shipments of 6s Plus models since launch

Supply shortages are real for Plus models

Ninja Dom

That's true.

Did you or anyone with a similar situation replace your phone? I chatted with apple support and they said the hardware was fine. Was told to restore as new. Hope this fixes it...

No I never replaced it. It only happened the once, which was a few days after I first got it. iOS 9.0.2 wasn't available when it happened. I just carried on using the phone as normal, I never restored it as new or anything. Just continued on. My iPhone stays on 24 hours a day, I never switch it off, and as it hasn't happened since, I'm not too worried.

It has taught me to set a secondary alarm clock on another device as I use my iPhone as an alarm clock. I wouldn't want the iPhone to turn off overnight and I then miss my alarm.

cocopuffs

Banned
Last iPhone I owned was the 5 before moving to Android. But seeing the 6 and 6S out in public, wow the phones really look nice, screen is bright and sharp and the screen size is actually reasonably big now.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered a Nexus 6P, I'd probably switch back.

Now if only iOS had an actual "home-screen" (i.e Android with a separate app drawer). That would make it perfect for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
May I inquire as to which situations you find 3D Touch useful? (I do love the multitouch gestures on iPads for task switching and returning to the home screen.)

In low light conditions, the main photo is slightly degraded with Live Photos turned on. The feature also uses additional storage when enabled.

Live Photos seem to be a bad compromise for me. I'd rather just record high quality video (which admittedly requires a lot more storage). I can believe that others might find the tradeoffs worthwhile. I could probably live with the 12 fps low quality video if there wasn't the abrupt, jarring transition to the picture in the middle.

I think the point of things like Live Photos is that you are just taking photos. Taking video is great, but that requires a concious choice to do so and the situations where you do may be very different. The quality might not be great, but it's all about the memories.

Are there any examples of Live Photos that others can view? I'd be curious to compare the quality to lumia cinemagraphs which I found were good quality (and exportable as MP4), but they didn't continue after the photo was taken - only before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I honestly feel like the 6/6S is the perfect sized phone.

But is it the perfect sized web browser/video watcher/photo taker? I agree the 6s feels great in the hand, but I swapped my z3c for a z3 because the 4.7" screen felt too small.

If only Apple had done a 5.2" screen. 4.7 & 5.5 are too far apart IMO.

Does anyone in the UK know which operators support wifi calling on iPhone? Primary reaso to switch is wifi calling because my mobile signal is so shit. EE and Vodafone support it, but does anyone else?

Ambient80

OK so I spent a couple hours pricing new service plans and finalized so I am hyped for that new iPhone magic. Like a fool I walked into the store today in FL and expected a phone to be sitting there. NOPE. So I'm going to use the website and reserve a phone and time.

I'm going to get it through the Apple iPhone Upgrade program, so a couple questions:

When do the new phones for the day pop up in the reserve system? After midnight in my time zone? At store open? ???

I was sure of getting a 6s and that the plus was too big, then I used it in the store and I need the bigger screen.

The 6S+, so far does it seem that they have mostly the chip? Any stats out there? Besides the camera stabilization, and the longer battery life, and other huge differences?

As for cases. I want a minimal design, cause that Rose Gold is precious to my heart now. LOL

Any great cases that fellow GAFers would recommend?

Thanks all!

I know if you're using the site to check and see what inventory they have, an Apple rep on the phone told me that those numbers update at 8am every day.

I have a 6s+ and though I'm not exactly sure what your second question is asking, it has the Samsung chip. I have zero complaints. Got 48 hours on one charge 100-0% with moderate use. I think the bigger battery and OIS are the only "objective" improvements over the 6s, the rest is preference.

Oh damn one more question, I know that the Apple Upgrade program requires the phone to be activated there. I am switching from Verizon to ATT that day. Should I reserve a phone with an Verizon activation, then later than day swap SIM cards at ATT once my number is transferred? I've never had an unlocked phone before so pardon my ignorance. ;)

This is what I would do. They need your current carrier information when you do the upgrade program. I'd sign it up with your current one, then just change it over when you make your switch official.

Robot Pants

Sorry guys I haven't read the whole thread but I'm planning to get a 6s tomorrow or at least order one. How can I tell if it's a Samsung chip or not?

Jack-25

Neo Member
Anyone know if it's just the first batch of new 6s's that may have the Samsung chip? If I buy the 6s in a few months time will all chips be TSMC?

Erebus

Aw yeah nice taste. For now Im using a clear Insignia/Best Buy branded case lol
KjtnVdh.jpg

I don't know why but the icons suddenly disappeared in the updates section of the app store.

Any way to fix this? I really don't wanna restore the whole phone for just this. :(

LCfiner

I have the same icons missing on the app sore updates page. I just assumed it was on Apple’s end on the store. nothing to do with the hardware or iOS

ZeroX03

Banned
6S seems firmer than the 6. Still feels premium but like it can handle a lot more punishment without a case. That new aluminum at work.

Apple says my iPhone has been shipped out, but the tracking info was from last month, delivered to another person, has anyone experienced something similar before?

Ninja Dom

Sorry guys I haven't read the whole thread but I'm planning to get a 6s tomorrow or at least order one. How can I tell if it's a Samsung chip or not?

There used to be a free app that you could download from the App Store that told you. Apple pulled it for obvious reasons.

The other way is to go to a specific website which then prompts you to install a profile from China on your iPhone, and then run an app. It isn't a recommended to use this method as the app connects to a certain server in China somewhere and potentially uploads lots of user data from your iPhone to them.

So until another regular app comes out there isn't a safe way of knowing what chip you have.

EmiPrime

There used to be a free app that you could download from the App Store that told you. Apple pulled it for obvious reasons.

The other way is to go to a specific website which then prompts you to install a profile from China on your iPhone, and then run an app. It isn't a recommended to use this method as the app connects to a certain server in China somewhere and potentially uploads lots of user data from your iPhone to them.

So until another regular app comes out there isn't a safe way of knowing what chip you have.

Not true. There are plenty of apps on the app store that will tell you which chip you have, including the latest version of Geekbench 3.

Anion

KjtnVdh.jpg

I don't know why but the icons suddenly disappeared in the updates section of the app store.

Any way to fix this? I really don't wanna restore the whole phone for just this. :(
Yeahhhh
Just checked and my phone has the same thing happening...

rezuth

The developer pulled it not Apple
https://twitter.com/LirumLabs/status/652152584967360513?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
We took the app down from the App Store due to issues with latest devices and the latest iOS. Until we can deliver an update.

Try using Geekbench 3.

Gaaraz

This is fucking painful. If I didn't need an iPhone for work I would've just got a Nexus 6P already :/

So tempted just to pick up a second hand 6 Plus now.

nikos

KjtnVdh.jpg

Το ίδιο γίνεται με το δικό μου. I think the issue is on Apple's end.

Maledict

I have now had two bricked new Iphone 6S devices in the space of 4 hours. After many years I've finally upgraded this morning, and apparently there is an issue where if your old iphone is not at IOS 9.0.2 it can brick the phone.

My old iphone is a 3GS, so can't ever be on IOS 9.0.2. So both times I've tried to restore the new phone from back up, it bricks the phone - it gets stuck in an automatic loop trying to install the software, and it's literally impossible to break. Factory reset from within Itunes won't do it, reset using the buttons on the phone won't do it - nothing.

I'm really shocked to be honest - I've had apple products for years since the first gen Ipod, and never known anything like this to happen.

So now I have to return a second iphone to the shop I bought it from, and can't transfer over *anything* from my existing iphone - contacts, music, apps, saved data, anything.

Utterly shocked by how shite the 6S and Itunes has proven to be, and how the hell Apple has managed to release such an incredibly easy bug into the wild that literally bricks your phone.

(Sorry I needed to rant because I've wasted a day doing this and travel back and forth).

Red

After a few days with the 6s+ I have to say I am really impressed with the phone. Outside of a few weird iOS bugs (mostly Settings freezing at launch) it is so pleasant to use. The 2GB of RAM improves the experience more than I had anticipated.

Does anyone have suggestions for swiping keyboards? One thing that feels less good with the + is typing, since the phone is so big and every time I lift my thumb I lose a point of contact.

Top Bottom