• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Gaaraz

It's yours for three hours after your appointment , you're fine

I mean, try and get there ASAP as being timely helps them out a lot, but you got space
Thank you, got there and it was still available, went to pay and it was declined because they didn't have chip and pin. Arggghhhh. Tried the regular 6S 16GB too and the same problem.

The most frustrating part was another guy saw it and said he wanted it, the Apple guy said it was mine, but when the transaction failed instead of it going back online I asked the guy who was serving me to give it to him. Didn't even so much as say thank you, the phone I've been constantly trying to reserve for the past week ;_;

Going to try to sort this out with my bank in the hope they will allow it, but right now a second hand 6 or 6 Plus is looking quite tempting!

demented

I know it's 6s thread but maybe someone can chime in.

I need a 2nd phone and don't wanna pay 200e+ for iphone 5 or newer, need something that won't be slow (mainly for calls, texting apps etc) and battery will last a day. I got some 15eur android but it's annoyingly slow and not sure if I should get iphone 4 or something. I remember they have issues once you upgrade them to newer ios, like I read a lot of 4s' wifi chips died from ios8 upgrade so I'm not sure what to do here.

Red

I know it's 6s thread but maybe someone can chime in.

I need a 2nd phone and don't wanna pay 200e+ for iphone 5 or newer, need something that won't be slow (mainly for calls, texting apps etc) and battery will last a day. I got some 15eur android but it's annoyingly slow and not sure if I should get iphone 4 or something. I remember they have issues once you upgrade them to newer ios, like I read a lot of 4s' wifi chips died from ios8 upgrade so I'm not sure what to do here.
Don't get the 4. The 4s is still okay, likely faster than an aging Android phone, but don't expect zippy. I would be okay using a 4s as my daily driver. I used one until recently as a music player and it did just fine, with the requisite halts and starts of any flagging iOS device (but not like that apoplexy of the 4).

demented

Yeah I'll skip 4. If I can get 4s around 100e it would be ok, or I can add 20e and get nexus4 but I kinda want iphone for 2nd phone despite me not being an apple fan, meh.

Rootbeer

Banned
just get the newest one you can within your budget as each phone has slightly better features, speed and battery life than the previous.

maybe you can make do with a 4S but I have one (I keep it around to play games against myself :p) and I find it unbearably slow... but for your needs maybe it's fine.

The price difference between 4S and a 5 shouldn't be that great, so go 5 if you can. Tons of people are probably dumping their 5S lately so those might not be too expensive either.

Mortemis

Banned
Not just me then. This might sound like a small thing, but I can imagine it getting annoying. And is it my imagination or is scrolling on iPad way faster? Why would they be different?

It's ridiculous, really. It's like there's no momentum at all. I've had this phone for around two weeks now and Im at a point where I'm used to it but still annoyed. Scrolling on android or even an iPad isn't nearly as slow.

I'm mostly talking about safari. The settings app and even Twitter are a little slow still but fine.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's ridiculous, really. It's like there's no momentum at all. I've had this phone for around two weeks now and Im at a point where I'm used to it but still annoyed. Scrolling on android or even an iPad isn't nearly as slow.

I'm mostly talking about safari. The settings app and even Twitter are a little slow still but fine.

It is just Safari. You go to Mercury or Chrome and scrolling is speedy. I think it is slower to not expose the loading of pages into memory.

demented

just get the newest one you can within your budget as each phone has slightly better features, speed and battery life than the previous.

maybe you can make do with a 4S but I have one (I keep it around to play games against myself :p) and I find it unbearably slow... but for your needs maybe it's fine.

The price difference between 4S and a 5 shouldn't be that great, so go 5 if you can. Tons of people are probably dumping their 5S lately so those might not be too expensive either.
I can get 4s around 100 or lower but damned 5 is still strong at 200, barely dipping below from what I can tell, and even when it is its like 170e lowest :/
I have ipad one that I didnt update in years and its so slow ffs need to get new tablet too but I just read books and comics on it and its slow turning pages even, hopefully phone wont be like that, but I just need some basic apps and to call and text, got my main phone for other things :)

Wallach

Just got back from Verizon after some cell plan re-negotiation and picked up the 6s. Coming from a 4, it's a pretty big difference. Wasn't sure I'd like the larger size until I handled it in the store, but I think the visibility is worth the trade-off. One thing I like more than I expected is the rounded surface of the screen. Gives the phone a nicer feel in general usage.

Haven't taken the upgraded guts for a test drive yet, but I imagine most of my games will still get played on my Air 2 anyway.

Gaaraz

He would be wrong. One minute of 4K video would take up about 375MB's so you'd get 32 minutes worth of 4K video if you used all your free storage towards it. That being said if you plan to be shooting in 4K a lot you'll probably want to get the 64GB model.

Honestly some people are going to tell you 16GB's isn't enough but depending on your uses it'll be fine. Right now I have 24 apps, a few playlists and a couple of pictures on my device and I still have 6.8GB's left with most of those apps being large sized games like Hearthstone.
Eh, I think you may have convinced me to get a 16GB after all.

Am I right in thinking that iCould would make it super easy for me to delete photos and movies from my device regularly?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Eh, I think you may have convinced me to get a 16GB after all.

Am I right in thinking that iCould would make it super easy for me to delete photos and movies from my device regularly?

Nope. If you delete from your phone it deletes from icloud.
You will need to use something like google photos to move things off your device and onto the cloud.

This is one of the reasons why having the 16gb sucks really bad. I was only able to have 2-3 games installed at any given time when I had my 16gb 6+. Really glad I got the 64gb this time around.

Gaaraz

I see, thank you. So iCould could still possibly work, I'd just have to constantly move stuff onto my PC? That doesn't sound too bad, but maybe 64GB is a better option.

I hardly use my phone right now, especially since I have a Canon S100, but that will likely change if I get a 6S I guess.

Maximus.

Thank you, got there and it was still available, went to pay and it was declined because they didn't have chip and pin. Arggghhhh. Tried the regular 6S 16GB too and the same problem.

The most frustrating part was another guy saw it and said he wanted it, the Apple guy said it was mine, but when the transaction failed instead of it going back online I asked the guy who was serving me to give it to him. Didn't even so much as say thank you, the phone I've been constantly trying to reserve for the past week ;_;

Going to try to sort this out with my bank in the hope they will allow it, but right now a second hand 6 or 6 Plus is looking quite tempting!

Why didn't you call the bank on the spot. Sure they could've sorted that for you.

Edit: people vouching for 16gb are crazy. You have to manage your phone to the max. Close to full? Have fun deleting shit to install updates. Constantly moving photos and video to your comp is annoying, especially if you want to have easy access to your media. iCloud Photo Library does fix this issue. If you listen to music, that will take a ton of space. Apps are generally 100mb-2gb depending on factors and can get filled quite quick. 32gb is ideal, but since that's obviously not available, 64 is the best option.

Gaaraz

To be honest since I told them I was coming to America and would likely buy a new phone I just didn't think they would flag it it up as being fraudulent. On hindsight I should have called (tbh I'm surprised they don't have an automated system) but I'm fake I didn't get a 128Gb anyway.

They did say that generally if a card gets stolen in America the first place people go to is the Apple store though, it's absolutely crazy that you can pay on a card so easily here. I've got a new card but it was only today when I called them I realised I haven't signed it. I've made probably 30 transactions on it since I got here and not a single person been checked the signature. Makes me really appreciate chip and pin!

//ARCANUM

Hey so.... I have a samsung iPhone 6s and I think my phone might actually be defective BEYOND the whole "chipgate" thing. I'm running geekbench battery test now and my phone is losing 1% of battery every 2.5 minutes. There's nothing running in the background either. At these numbers that would put my battery at lasting just over 4 hours of usage in a day.... that seems super super bad. Am I crazy here? or should I return this tomorrow? to me this seems way worse than the samsung specs we've been seeing. (and I'm running the test now because I have been getting surprisingly poor battery life for my first week of use.)

ZeroX03

Banned
Hey so.... I have a samsung iPhone 6s and I think my phone might actually be defective BEYOND the whole "chipgate" thing. I'm running geekbench battery test now and my phone is losing 1% of battery every 2.5 minutes. There's nothing running in the background either. At these numbers that would put my battery at lasting just over 4 hours of usage in a day.... that seems super super bad. Am I crazy here? or should I return this tomorrow? to me this seems way worse than the samsung specs we've been seeing. (and I'm running the test now because I have been getting surprisingly poor battery life for my first week of use.)

If you're getting unnaturally high battery drain, yes, it's time to return it.

Reckoner

Damn

I was set on the 6s, but the plus has me itching back again. I come from a Nexus 6, and I kind of enjoyed the screen size. However, it was not that great while on the bus, gym and between huge crowds in concerts and stuff.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Damn

I was set on the 6s, but the plus has me itching back again. I come from a Nexus 6, and I kind of enjoyed the screen size. However, it was not that great while on the bus, gym and between huge crowds in concerts and stuff.

If you are in a huge crowd at a concert put your phone away and enjoy the moment.

Never really understood the motivation of playing on cell phones during events like that.

Ninja Dom

Does anyone know what fps the front camera records video at? I know it's 720p. I just recorded some video and it's damn smooth. I'm not at home to put the video on my computer and check.

EDIT: I do think it's 30fps actually.

Reckoner

If you are in a huge crowd at a concert put your phone away and enjoy the moment.

Never really understood the motivation of playing on cell phones during events like that.

You're implying that I'm one of those dudes with his phone always up just filming and taking photos. But I'm talking about the in between moments in festivals where I just want to check and reply to messages etc. and it's just a bit cumbersome to use with so little space. Also during the concerts where you just want to go cray and have always to take care because the phone may fall out from the pocket as it is too big.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You will need to use something like google photos to move things off your device and onto the cloud.

This is one of the reasons why having the 16gb sucks really bad. I was only able to have 2-3 games installed at any given time when I had my 16gb 6+. Really glad I got the 64gb this time around.

What - really? That's crazy. Is there no way to mark it as a keeper? A huge benefit of cloud storage is not needing so much device storage - handy when Apple decide to ship the base model with 16GB. Does it at least have an option to resize local photos to a smaller size and keep the cloud ones full size, to save space?

Although I to to use one drive on my android for photo backups as they show up nice and quick on my PC, so I use it for taking photos of things I'm selling for instance. I suppose that would get around the problems but not ideal. As far as I know, one drive, Dropbox, Google drive - all keep your cloud photos even if you delete locally. The logical option. Why would apple do the opposite?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You're implying that I'm one of those dudes with his phone always up just filming and taking photos. But I'm talking about the in between moments in festivals where I just want to check and reply to messages etc. and it's just a bit cumbersome to use with so little space. Also during the concerts where you just want to go cray and have always to take care because the phone may fall out from the pocket as it is too big.

If I go for a 6+ i'll probably grab an Apple Watch when the new ones come out to help deal with notifications. That works well with my Z3 and android wear at the moment so I don't need to be handling a slippery phone in the middle of the train or crowd. Then the phone can just come out in more controlled situations

numble

What - really? That's crazy. Is there no way to mark it as a keeper? A huge benefit of cloud storage is not needing so much device storage - handy when Apple decide to ship the base model with 16GB. Does it at least have an option to resize local photos to a smaller size and keep the cloud ones full size, to save space?

Although I to to use one drive on my android for photo backups as they show up nice and quick on my PC, so I use it for taking photos of things I'm selling for instance. I suppose that would get around the problems but not ideal. As far as I know, one drive, Dropbox, Google drive - all keep your cloud photos even if you delete locally. The logical option. Why would apple do the opposite?

The iPhone keeps a very low-res thumbnail and if you open it, it will load the full-res version from iCloud. Only recent photos will have the full-res version on the iPhone. Otherwise, its just a thumbnail/low-res version stored on your iPhone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The iPhone keeps a very low-res thumbnail and if you open it, it will load the full-res version from iCloud. Only recent photos will have the full-res version on the iPhone. Otherwise, its just a thumbnail/low-res version stored on your iPhone.

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad.

gimmmick

Damn

You are going to be that guy with a tablet in hand at a concert. It seriously bugs the shit out of me how people can just stare at a phone while recording the show instead of just enjoying the performance. I used to do the same when I was a lot younger, and there is no point to it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best tactic in the uk to get a 64GB plus? Buy online from Apple or Carphone etc and while I'm waiting try spamming the reservation pickup option and if I get one, cancel the preorder?

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
There seems to be a grain of dust in the camera of my 6S Plus. I discovered it while admiring the beauty of the new phone in every detail.

It doesn't seem to influence the pictures I take, yet I am concerned that it coult become a problem in the future.

What do you think?

It seems as if I will never get a perfect Apple product.

- the band of my watch didn't close
- my girlfriend's iPhone 6 had a faulty home button
- my own iPhone 6 had a white spot (not only a pixel) in the display

The have great customer service but I don't want to have to use it every time I buy a device from them.

samn

It's the geekbench battery test so it's running your CPU at abnormally high and sustained levels. I think 4 hours is a normal figure for that test.

Mogwai

There seems to be a grain of dust in the camera of my 6S Plus. I discovered it while admiring the beauty of the new phone in every detail.

It doesn't seem to influence the pictures I take, yet I am concerned that it coult become a problem in the future.

What do you think?

It seems as if I will never get a perfect Apple product.

- the band of my watch didn't close
- my girlfriend's iPhone 6 had a faulty home button
- my own iPhone 6 had a white spot (not only a pixel) in the display

The have great customer service but I don't want to have to use it every time I buy a device from them.

I've had grain of dust on my camera (iPhone 5) for years now. I've never had a picture where I noticed it.

If you get a faulty unit you should keep returning it until you get one that's proper. Apple's shitty QC will only get worse if people accept their declining standards. Lazy QC is not acceptable when the company charge a premium for their products. At least that's how I see it.

I'm getting a 6S next week. I'll keep retuning it until I get one without any obvious faults. Image retention, dead pixels and loose Home buttons especially.

Reckoner

You are going to be that guy with a tablet in hand at a concert. It seriously bugs the shit out of me how people can just stare at a phone while recording the show instead of just enjoying the performance. I used to do the same when I was a lot younger, and there is no point to it.

Chill. I'm not one of those guys.

I already replied and that wasn't what I meant at all. I'm just talking about using the goddamn phone between performances to text and stuff. There's not much space and with such a big phone it makes things even more awkward and cumbersome.

Btw, regular 6s Space Gray 64gb ordered. I hope they get new stock by Friday.

Red

I can get 4s around 100 or lower but damned 5 is still strong at 200, barely dipping below from what I can tell, and even when it is its like 170e lowest :/
I have ipad one that I didnt update in years and its so slow ffs need to get new tablet too but I just read books and comics on it and its slow turning pages even, hopefully phone wont be like that, but I just need some basic apps and to call and text, got my main phone for other things :)
The current weak points of the 4s are app loading and memory management. Lots of app refreshing and lots of waiting for apps to launch. If you stick to only one or two apps at a time it still works okay. It handles iOS 9 much better than older phones handled their later updates.

I purchased an OtterBox 6/6S Defender case for my iPhone 6S and it unfortunately didn't fit.

Are there any alternative cases you'd guys recommend?

During my research for my 6 many people said the defender case does not fit well so I got the commuter which fit well.

Enco

Best tactic in the uk to get a 64GB plus? Buy online from Apple or Carphone etc and while I'm waiting try spamming the reservation pickup option and if I get one, cancel the preorder?
Go with Apple.

Order it and try to get a reservation. Cancel if you get one.

demented

The current weak points of the 4s are app loading and memory management. Lots of app refreshing and lots of waiting for apps to launch. If you stick to only one or two apps at a time it still works okay. It handles iOS 9 much better than older phones handled their later updates.

Thanks, sounds good. I'm kinda ocd so I always close apps or keep them closed haha. Mainly I'll be using viber, whatsapp and maybe some ios only apps if it can run them, but I usually do everything else on my main phone. Think I'll go buy one today then.
Edit: bought it, works great and it's in very good condition

pbsapeer

Banned
Had an order with Apple but was about 2 weeks. Ended up ordering a click and collect at a car phone warehouse near me. At least 4 stores had a supply of what I wanted, 1 didn't!

Kibbles

Really? I thought the whole frustration from the iCloud hack was people has photos leaked that they had deleted.

rezuth

Really? I thought the whole frustration from the iCloud hack was people has photos leaked that they had deleted.

If you do a backup with the photos still on the device when you restore from that backup obviously the pictures will still be there.

Gaaraz

Card unblocked, 64GB space grey plus reserved, absolutely perfect. Except the store closes at 7 and I've just checked and our flight doesn't get in to Vegas until 5pm. Two hours to get from the airport to Luxor, check in, drop off our bags then get to the fashion show mall somehow. Never going to happen, sigh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Card unblocked, 64GB space grey plus reserved, absolutely perfect. Except the store closes at 7 and I've just checked and our flight doesn't get in to Vegas until 5pm. Two hours to get from the airport to Luxor, check in, drop off our bags then get to the fashion show mall somehow. Never going to happen, sigh.

Get a cab to take you to the Apple Store, wait for you while you pick up the phone, then head to the Luxor?

//ARCANUM

It's the geekbench battery test so it's running your CPU at abnormally high and sustained levels. I think 4 hours is a normal figure for that test.

if it was the norm then I would feel fine, unfortunately everyone else online has been posting their comparison shots with the TSMC chip and they've been getting over 6 hours on their samsung chip :/

edit - whoops i was looking at 6s+ benchmarks. the 6s averages at 4.5hrs which is what mine is. wow, what a shit battery :/

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Damn

People blow the size way out of proportion. The phone isn't even big. And I'm only 5'5-5'6. The regular 6s is way too small for a phone in 2015.

Redmoon

Just got my new 6s 64GB space grey today. Settled for a 6s because I wasn't really feeling up to the size of a 6s+ at the time, plus the store didn't have any (and wouldnt for a week) and they we're also offering a free tablet with new phones for the weekend, so I figured why not :p.

Wanted the 6s+ for the bigger battery/higher res screen, but wasn't willing to give up the ability to use only one hand yet (and my hands are pretty big) I'll do the Plus model come the 7s. So far loving the speed and really liking the peek feature.

Top Bottom