• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Wreav

Banned
It's a weird issue with Google Sync & iOS. If you manually change a contact's picture on the iPhone, that contact's image should be fullscreen.

I never bothered because it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Copied all my contacts from Google to iCloud, and full screen contact pictures work now that I'm not syncing Google contacts. Thanks!!

Admodieus

Ended up going with the regular 6S; availability on the Plus is not until mid November around here, and I wasn't sold on the huge form factor anyway.

Should be here Wednesday. Any case or accessory recommendations? I've had different people recommend the Leather and Silicon cases sold by Apple.

I have been lightly following the chip issue with Samsung and the other. My wife and I haven't bought phones yet but does anyone know if say in a month or two the chip issue will all be sorted out or will it continue to be split and a lottery? Has Apple stated they will continue to farm it out to both places or was it done like that initially to meet demand?

I hope Facebook will update Paper as well, it's so good, yet hasn't been updated since last March.

I've been a Paper person for the longest time, but finally said fuck it and gave up. It feels like a project they let Mike Matas work on to keep him happy, but have no intention of supporting long term.

I was surprised that they never made a full iPad app, and was surprised again when I looked at the amount of battery usage of the app cost me. Back to the regular app for me.

3D Touch is legitimately the game changer the reviews said. It won't happen overnight, but it'll slowly become more and more essential to the phone experience to the point where it's on every phone and you'll use it for everything. Using it on the GAF subscriptions folder to check is great.

I only use my home button for Touch ID at this point. The blazingly fast Touch ID.

I haven't used 3D touch passed the initial tries, it really looks more like a marketing gimmick the way it's currently implemented.

It often takes more time to hold and get to where you want to go, than click and go back the "regular" way.

For example I feel "holding" on neogaf thread titles doesn't bring any real benefit compared to just opening the thread and sliding back to come back to the previous page afterwards.

Hopefully they find a more useful implementation in the future.

Wreav

Banned
I have been lightly following the chip issue with Samsung and the other. My wife and I haven't bought phones yet but does anyone know if say in a month or two the chip issue will all be sorted out or will it continue to be split and a lottery? Has Apple stated they will continue to farm it out to both places or was it done like that initially to meet demand?

Apple's official reply was that both chips are within 2-3% of each other. They'll likely continue to split the chips.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've been a Paper person for the longest time, but finally said fuck it and gave up. It feels like a project they let Mike Matas work on to keep him happy, but have no intention of supporting long term.

I was surprised that they never made a full iPad app, and was surprised again when I looked at the amount of battery usage of the app cost me. Back to the regular app for me.
I have an opposite experience than you: paper draws so little battery compared to Facebook. It's quite perfect as it is, I just wish it could have 3D Touch. I also use the iPhone app on my iPad, and I like it just as much there.

demented

I've got a question about iMessage, first time with iphone so not sure, it's stuck on waiting for activation, was same yesterday but ended up unsuccessful but not after reactivating it says waiting. I went into airplane mode with wifi on and it can send messages and pics, receive too so I guess it's working but I'd still feel better if it said activated lol. Can only use my apple id email not number now, no option, if anything for that.
Also can it be because I'm in roaming I can't receiving activation code or whatever it's supposed to? In before all that retying to activate makes my bill go upuppp

Vyer

I've got a question about iMessage, first time with iphone so not sure, it's stuck on waiting for activation, was same yesterday but ended up unsuccessful but not after reactivating it says waiting. I went into airplane mode with wifi on and it can send messages and pics, receive too so I guess it's working but I'd still feel better if it said activated lol. Can only use my apple id email not number now, no option, if anything for that.
Also can it be because I'm in roaming I can't receiving activation code or whatever it's supposed to? In before all that retying to activate makes my bill go upuppp

are you sure it's sending on wifi? (blue messages)

If so, it's probably an issue with your roaming/carrier, as it can't tie into your phone number

Ninja Dom

I haven't used 3D touch passed the initial tries, it really looks more like a marketing gimmick the way it's currently implemented.

It often takes more time to hold and get to where you want to go, than click and go back the "regular" way.

For example I feel "holding" on neogaf thread titles doesn't bring any real benefit compared to just opening the thread and sliding back to come back to the previous page afterwards.

The way I do it is to press on the thread title or link and slide it up at the same time. That way the pop-up screen stays in place and isn't obscured by your thumb. Have a good look at the first post in the thread while the pop-up screen is there. If I want to continue reading then I touch the 'Open In A New Tab' dialog box below. If I don't want to read I swipe the pop-up box down.

It works easier on Neo-GAF mobile.

I also use this to pop links in my iMessages and my emails. So handy rather than leaving iMessage or email to go to a link that you don't want to read once you've seen the webpage open up.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Ended up going with the regular 6S; availability on the Plus is not until mid November around here, and I wasn't sold on the huge form factor anyway.

Should be here Wednesday. Any case or accessory recommendations? I've had different people recommend the Leather and Silicon cases sold by Apple.
If you're going to do case the only two options (imo) are the Apple leather case because they're so classy looking, or a clear case.

I have this clear case, it is regarded as one of the best cases you can get. It is cheap, minimal, and it has the dust covers for the Lightning port and headphone jack, so you don't get lint and dust in them. Also a screen protector is included, I don't like screen protectors, but it is there if you need it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012TCKFP6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Red

Ars Technica has posted a TSMC/Samsung chip comparison in line with real world use.

Anyone else have trouble with the 3D Touch touchpad/keyboard thing? If I want to place a cursor i try pressing through to the first level of pressure but most of the time I just get stuck on whatever key my finger happened to land on. And when I do get the cursor to come up i usually can't press through to start highlighting. I feel like I'm going to crack the front glass of the phone. When I get it to work it's so finicky I pretty much always end up deleting whatever text I wanted to manipulate. This was one of the most exciting new features for me but either I am fumbling like a 90 year old on a PC or the feature is so touchy (pun intended) that it is more a novelty than a genuine improvement.

It's as if the 3D Touch features require you to wait a moment between each action. It is not as fluid as I want it to be.

Wreav

Banned
Ars Technica has posted a TSMC/Samsung chip comparison in line with real world use.

Anyone else have trouble with the 3D Touch touchpad/keyboard thing? If I want to place a cursor i try pressing through to the first level of pressure but most of the time I just get stuck on whatever key my finger happened to land on. And when I do get the cursor to come up i usually can't press through to start highlighting. I feel like I'm going to crack the front glass of the phone. When I get it to work it's so finicky I pretty much always end up deleting whatever text I wanted to manipulate. This was one of the most exciting new features for me but either I am fumbling like a 90 year old on a PC or the feature is so touchy (pun intended) that it is more a novelty than a genuine improvement.

It's as if the 3D Touch features require you to wait a moment between each action. It is not as fluid as I want it to be.

Working fine for me. I have 3D Touch set to "light".

samn

Seriously, don't worry about it. You only see a substantial difference when you run Geekbench non-stop at 100% CPU usage over the course of an entire battery cycle. You are never going to see this kind of usage in the real world - the CPU only ramps up that high very occasionally, not enough to make a difference over the course of a day.

Reckoner

I went for the Anker Slim Shell. I don't want people to know that I have an iPhone and it looks like a good quality case.

Ninja Dom

Seriously, don't worry about it. You only see a substantial difference when you run Geekbench non-stop at 100% CPU usage over the course of an entire battery cycle. You are never going to see this kind of usage in the real world - the CPU only ramps up that high very occasionally, not enough to make a difference over the course of a day.

Recording 4K video is probably the most processor intensive thing I think you can do with the 6S. Also FaceTime calls over cellular network used to heat up the earlier iPhones (the 5 and 5S). It isn't so bad now on the 6S.

What other really processor intensive things would you do on the 6S? iMovie editing & manipulation of 4K video?

Arcteryx

Is it a new SIM? or are you using one swapped from an Android device?

derek212

I have a question!

I have an 5s on a 2yr contract that ended last week. If I do the next program do I need to send it in or do I keep it ?

Sun Drugs

I can't get it to work either. It is very frustrating, I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any advice on the best insurance to go with?

I just checked with my home insurance and they cover accidental damage/loss/theft of my mobile phone, so that's worth checking first. might also be something you can add to your policy for a lot less tha AppleCare etc

Social

Bought an iPhone 6s 64GB space grey for my wife today in Paraguay, to use in Brazil.

It came with an AT&T sim card installed which was odd... it was also quite hard to open the sim tray, took me like half an hour of trying! It finally popped open and it works just fine with my wife's Brazil sim card. I think it's an unlocked model, it must be.

I checked the processor and it's not a Samsung! Hooraaaay!

Really happy for my wife :).

Vyer

I think I've had the key thing once or twice, but I pretty much have a feel for it and can do it consistently. Use the sensitivity in settings to get a good feel for how to enable it/practice.

I find its a lot more finicky on the iPad.

I have a question!

I have an 5s on a 2yr contract that ended last week. If I do the next program do I need to send it in or do I keep it ?

You should be able to keep the 5S and do whatever you want with it. You can also trade it in for credit, but don't think you would get much compared to selling it on your own.

Gawge

Hi all, a couple of days ago I posted in this thread for advice on which phone to get, and now I have an iPhone 6s! Thanks for your advice.

Just getting used to iOS now, and loving it. Everything is so quick and great. I'm sure I have much more to discover. A couple of quick early questions:

Do I need a case? Most people I see with iPhones seem to have them, but i've never used a case with a phone before.

Charger - So I can't use all my normal chargers. Is there a recommended cable (e.g. from amazon) that I could order, just to that I have one to carry around and also leave one at home?

demented

Is it a new SIM? or are you using one swapped from an Android device?

Swapped it, I reset network settings too but didn't do much. I asked and my sister had same issues but she doesn't use it due to bad internet connection and for other friend it took month to just change in settings hm. Hopefully for me it will work once I get back into sim card's home country but since it all works oh well, it's just weird and me being OCD want it to say what it's supposed to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Copied all my contacts from Google to iCloud, and full screen contact pictures work now that I'm not syncing Google contacts. Thanks!!

How did you do this? Don't have my iPhone yet but will probably need to do it too. Any way to sync back across to google eg on the web or using a computer?

How did you do this? Don't have my iPhone yet but will probably need to do it too. Any way to sync back across to google eg on the web or using a computer?

You can add your Google account to your iPhone, have it sync down contacts, then turn on contact syncing in the iCloud settings. Should copy everything over

Thank you !! I've been getting diffrent answers from everyone including AT&T

You're welcome! I can tell you from experience since I too have AT&T and I did that myself back when I decided to try the Galaxy S5 when it came out. Good phone but wasn't for me.

Charger - So I can't use all my normal chargers. Is there a recommended cable (e.g. from amazon) that I could order, just to that I have one to carry around and also leave one at home?

Any cable is fine really as long as it's MFI certified. Personally I would get a cable that's braided for longer durability. There's plenty to choose from at Amazon at difference price points.

ZeroX03

Banned
Apple standby battery life has always been superb, but it seems a lot of the 6S battery enhancements are aimed at standby/background apps. It's better than ever. Moving the motion processor and offloading Hey Siri to it has meant I'm noticing improved standby life while still having it always on.

Majine

Banned
Would be cool if you could peak into notifications to see their full context.

I know, there would be privacy issues with being able to see an iMessage conversation without unlocking the phone.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So strange, yesterday it was there, but today California is omitted from the states where you can reserve to pickup and iphone in an Apple store.
These do not go live until 8am local time and end at some point later in the day before retail stores close.

You probably checked to early in the day.

I can't get it to work either. It is very frustrating, I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

The way it works, at least for me is not 3D touch to get the trackpad mode to engage and then press deeper to select text. It works like this: 3D touch to get trackpad mode to turn on, then release the 3D touch while leaving your thumb on the screen (like never lift you thumb off the screen, just don't be pressing down like a 3D touch), then move the cursor to where you want to start your text selection, and then apply a 3D touch again and you should be able to start selecting text. I hope that is easy enough to understand, I wasn't sure exactly how to explain it without being able to demonstrate it.

I still appreciate the size of the 5s. Having such a feature-rich device at that small size was like magic. When wearables become more compelling I might move past that. But the 6s+ offers so many great features specific to its size that I am more than happy with it. I am confident in saying I am happier with it than any other phone I've owned. The build is so nice it is difficult to think of it as just a smartphone. It compares favorably to anything else I own. It's such a slick package, so fast and enjoyable to use.

My problem is, while the Plus models have more screen real estate, they still are functionally just larger iPhones. They aren't like iPads where there are a rich collection of apps that leverage the larger screen size (and better aspect ratio) for a more creation and production-focus.

This may get a little better as more and more apps update for the Plus resolution (this is still happening, a year later), and 3D Touch will increase the ways that you can interact with the device, opening up additional possibilities.

zigg

For those who ordered from apple dot com and weren't part of the initial wave—how long does "Preparing for Shipment" take? Just got charged this morning and it switched over from "Processing", but for some reason my delivery date was pushed out to next week at the same time. Not quite sure what's going down here.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Hi all, a couple of days ago I posted in this thread for advice on which phone to get, and now I have an iPhone 6s! Thanks for your advice.

Just getting used to iOS now, and loving it. Everything is so quick and great. I'm sure I have much more to discover. A couple of quick early questions:

Do I need a case? Most people I see with iPhones seem to have them, but i've never used a case with a phone before.

I'm not a fan of cases. I take care of my phone, but drops are inevitable. I dropped mine the other day getting into the car onto the road. The screen is perfectly fine, but the aluminum has some scuffs on it the top is scuffed, the bottom left, and on the right side of the phone. So if you don't have any problems scuffing the device I say go for it. I was mad about scuffing my 750 dollar device for about a day or two then I got over it, and realized it's just a phone. If you enjoy using your phones without cases and that's the way you want to use it then do it.

Iolo

Yeah I don't find it incredibly useful either, it's fine but not a game changer. One big problem is that most sites (eg Washington Post) have their headline in giant text, so your preview is ... the headline. That said, I've been peeking links more over time.

Top Bottom