• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Sun Drugs

The way it works, at least for me is not 3D touch to get the trackpad mode to engage and then press deeper to select text. It works like this: 3D touch to get trackpad mode to turn on, then release the 3D touch while leaving your thumb on the screen (like never lift you thumb off the screen, just don't be pressing down like a 3D touch), then move the cursor to where you want to start your text selection, and then apply a 3D touch again and you should be able to start selecting text. I hope that is easy enough to understand, I wasn't sure exactly how to explain it without being able to demonstrate it.

Thank you! This did it for me. I think I wasn't doing it quick enough before. You kinda have to do it in one swift "motion", so to speak. I am able to do it consistently now, thanks again.

Thank you! This did it for me. I think I wasn't doing it quick enough before. You kinda have to do it in one swift "motion", so to speak. I am able to do it consistently now, thanks again.

No problem. Glad you could understand how I tried to explain it. Would be something that would be so much easier to try and show someone in person.

DedValve

Banned
So how does cases with external space storage work? I found this case that provides extra space for iphones up to 128gb extra but how exactly does that work and is it supported for everything? Could I prioritize what goes on the phone and what goes on the case?

Needless to say I'm skeptical as iOS has zero reason to offer storage support unlike android. The case in question: http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-6-plus

Also is there an alternative for google play music for storing songs on the cloud and downloading them thats also cross platform? I don't like how when you download songs that are yours for some reason other music players can't read them and your forced to use the app.

So how does cases with external space storage work? I found this case that provides extra space for iphones up to 128gb extra but how exactly does that work and is it supported for everything? Could I prioritize what goes on the phone and what goes on the case?

You use an manufacturer app for everything. Some apps may support the manufacturer app but on a case by case basis. Like I'm pretty sure VLC can play files from a Morphie.

zeshakag

Just picked up my 6s yesterday.

God damn this touch ID is fast. It's so nice to be able to turn on and unlock your phone with a single thumb click.

Everything is so goddamn fast.

DedValve

Banned
You use an manufacturer app for everything. Some apps may support the manufacturer app but on a case by case basis. Like I'm pretty sure VLC can play files from a Morphie.

I...think I understand. So its not universal which I guess. I would mainly use something like this for music so I can keep the main phone free for games and other apps. So I would need to research if music player apps function with this mophie app then.

I found a good iTunes deal! This requires a VISA card.

You can use the $20 off $70 Visa Checkout at Staples and then they have also have buy 1, get the 2nd 30% off with code 24324 for itunes gift cards.

For the second iTunes gift card, they took 30% off the price after the 20$/70$ discount was applied.

Each card was $40 after the Visa Checkout discount...30% of 40 =$12...$40+40-12 = $68.

$100 iTunes Gift Card for $68!

Got a 6S+.

I keep getting the cannot sync because computer is no longer authorized error. I deauthorized, signed out and rebooted my MBP (late 2013) and my iPhone 6S+. Still getting the same error. Cannot sync. Tried removing all third party apps too.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Ninja Dom

Got a 6S+.

I keep getting the cannot sync because computer is no longer authorized error. I deauthorized, signed out and rebooted my MBP (late 2013) and my iPhone 6S+. Still getting the same error. Cannot sync. Tried removing all third party apps too.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Cable sync or wifi?

Use a cable sync. The very first time you'll get a "Trust this computer" box pop up on your iPhone. Select "Trust" (of course). I don't think you can start a wifi sync until after you've first performed a cable sync.

Cable sync or wifi?

Use a cable sync. The very first time you'll get a "Trust this computer" box pop up on your iPhone. Select "Trust" (of course). I don't think you can start a wifi sync until after you've first performed a cable sync.

Cable sync only. I did select "Trust" on the initial pop-up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How do you turn off/manage apps to save battery life

Think I've heard you could do that but I'm not sure

You mean like force closing apps from the multi-task screen?

I don't think that's ever helped save battery life on iOS, but I may be mistaken.

How do you turn off/manage apps to save battery life

Think I've heard you could do that but I'm not sure

Pretty efficient management, the multitasking menu is more like a recently used apps, even if they're open its not really running so don't worry about it too much. The apps that use GPS in the background you can probably close once you're done (that is, if they're still running GPS for some reason)

I just leave everything running and don't force close that much. When apps ask about using location make sure they only use it while using the app. Some apps want to check location even if you're not using the app. I turn that off. You can probably save some battery going to settings and turning off background app refresh for apps you don't need to keep updated all the time. While you're in settings, go to Privacy>Location Services and look for apps you don't need/want to activate location.

Battery has been fine for me and I don't micromanage it much at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pretty incredible that the 6S Plus is still completely sold out in the UK. Seems to be doing better than I expected.

No, I think they just haven't restocked stores. It's been unavailable to reserve in any stores for several days now (I know, I've been trying multiple times per day), and no retailers have any yet - yet the 6s is readily available.

I hope they send a big shipment in this week, I don't want to wait until November 6 which is what my order currently says. And by then I'll be reading impressions of surface pro 4s and spending the money on one of those instead..

Question: is iCloud per device or per account? I.e. Will I be sharing my space between my iPad and iPhone for backups or do I get extra?

Gaaraz

It's the same in America - was checking constantly but the stock was so limited.

Been using it for a bit today and after so much hassle of getting it, I'm actually super underwhelmed :(

//ARCANUM

No, I think they just haven't restocked stores. It's been unavailable to reserve in any stores for several days now (I know, I've been trying multiple times per day), and no retailers have any yet - yet the 6s is readily available.

I hope they send a big shipment in this week, I don't want to wait until November 6 which is what my order currently says. And by then I'll be reading impressions of surface pro 4s and spending the money on one of those instead..

Question: is iCloud per device or per account? I.e. Will I be sharing my space between my iPad and iPhone for backups or do I get extra?

iCloud is per account. So whichever plan you have is shared amongst all your devices. (Personally I do 50gb for $0.99/month for my iPhone and MacBook Pro.)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

5gb free per account, the iCloud camera roll is exempt and doesn't count against that, only local photos etc do.

I've been telling friends and coworkers this for years. They always look at me like I'm crazy and continue to force quit every app they use.
I have a colleague that will open one app, then force close it. Then open the next app, close it etc. Its maddening to watch.

Red

I have a colleague that will open one app, then force close it. Then open the next app, close it etc. Its maddening to watch.
Yup that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's a stupid thing to be mad about but I feel this little twinge of anger every time I see it happening, made worse by the fact that every time I correct someone they tell me that I'm wrong.

How much time have these people wasted waiting for apps to relaunch, I wonder.

I've been telling friends and coworkers this for years. They always look at me like I'm crazy and continue to force quit every app they use.

Technically they're not wrong because there are some rogue apps out there that still run in the background if you don't force close them. Facebook is famous for being a battery hogger and it's mostly because it somehow manages to run in the background unless you force close it.

samn

Technically they're not wrong because there are some rogue apps out there that still run in the background if you don't force close them. Facebook is famous for being a battery hogger and it's mostly because it somehow manages to run in the background unless you force close it.

iOS allows it 10 minutes of background activity every time you soft-close it.

It would be cool if Apple went after the most popular apps and pressured them to decrease their battery usage. They're harming battery life on hundreds of millions of their devices after all.

Guess Who

Banned
iOS allows it 10 minutes of background activity every time you soft-close it.

Google for "Facebook background activity" over the past month and check out how many hours of background activity iOS often reports for it even without background app refresh enabled. They have somehow broken the system.

Jake.

not really an 'issue' per se, but is there anyway to make auto-lock work when a podcast is playing? it dims when it's supposed to, but the screen just stays on and never actually turns off. the podcast app seems to be the only one that prevents it from occurring.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Google for "Facebook background activity" over the past month and check out how many hours of background activity iOS often reports for it even without background app refresh enabled. They have somehow broken the system.
Use Paper guys. If you can live without Events in your Facebook, you'll get a much more pleasant UI, with zero battery issue (3% battery usage in the last 7 days, with background refresh on).

Spinifex

Use Paper guys. If you can live without Events in your Facebook, you'll get a much more pleasant UI, with zero battery issue (3% battery usage in the last 7 days, with background refresh on).

Paper has events. It also still has built in messaging. It's the superior app and I hate how Facebook lets it languish as a barely supported US only app.

marc^o^

No way to install it outside of the US?
Just create a US account. First disconnect your current account, change the region, go back to the App Store and (important) try to download a free app, so it won't request a credit card. Find a postal adress from a US state (google can help you), and you're done.

samn

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. That 10 minute grace period is how they have broken it.

MedIC86

Well i sold my 6 and bought a 6s+....i love it, its such a nice phone. I was really doubting because of the size, but in less then i day i got used to it.

Something went weird during my restore, so I opted instead to set up my phone as new. Tweaking every setting to my liking, redownloading all my apps, tweaking all THEIR settings, all-in-all took about 5 hours

Now I remember why I try not to set up my phones as new too much

Vyer

Something went weird during my restore, so I opted instead to set up my phone as new. Tweaking every setting to my liking, redownloading all my apps, tweaking all THEIR settings, all-in-all took about 5 hours

Now I remember why I try not to set up my phones as new too much

honestly i kinda like doing it. I don't do it as much with my Windows desktop, but even there I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of my favorite parts of building a new machine.

Something about that fresh start. Plus the added bonus that it usually helps with performance and clearing little nagging issues.

honestly i kinda like doing it. I don't do it as much with my Windows desktop, but even there I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of my favorite parts of building a new machine.

Something about that fresh start. Plus the added bonus that it usually helps with performance and clearing little nagging issues.

Alright I'll admit it, I like it too

But I seriously don't like how long it takes

hwalker84

Having issues with email notifications being unresponsive to clearing. Can't remove them until I soft reboot. Has anyone seen that issue? I do get a decent amount of email during the day.

When this happens the notification cannot be removed. Sent to trash, Replied to, or cleared. Any suggestions besides rebooting once a day or so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iPhone get! 64GB space grey 6s plus. Did an entire lap of the M25 as a round trip - about 150 miles.

Is it worth using the android migration tool, or just set everyone up fresh? And as someone that currently uses google services for email/contacts/calendar, what's a good way to set them up? On my iPad checking for email every 15 minutes is ok, but if I can get push somehow on iPhone it will be great. And I'd like to continue to use google services - especially a shared calendar with my family.

marc^o^

iPhone get! 64GB space grey 6s plus. Did an entire lap of the M25 as a round trip - about 150 miles.

Is it worth using the android migration tool, or just set everyone up fresh? And as someone that currently uses google services for email/contacts/calendar, what's a good way to set them up? On my iPad checking for email every 15 minutes is ok, but if I can get push somehow on iPhone it will be great. And I'd like to continue to use google services - especially a shared calendar with my family.
If your contacts were saved on the phone, you may want to use the migration tool. Otherwise you can start from fresh,you'll get everything back through your google account.

Top Bottom