• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Anion

So I just returned my Samsung chip only to get a...

...TSMC A9 lol

My battery started to jump down 2% a lot before, so I was sure it was something besides the chip that was wrong or something

Am I right in understanding that if I buy an iPhone from Apple directly in full it comes unlocked? I want to buy the SIM-Free version of the iPhone 6S Plus, but if I can buy it with a SIM card for the carrier I'm jumping to and still have it be unlocked (when bought at MSRP), then I am game.

Gawge

I'm not a fan of cases. I take care of my phone, but drops are inevitable. I dropped mine the other day getting into the car onto the road. The screen is perfectly fine, but the aluminum has some scuffs on it the top is scuffed, the bottom left, and on the right side of the phone. So if you don't have any problems scuffing the device I say go for it. I was mad about scuffing my 750 dollar device for about a day or two then I got over it, and realized it's just a phone. If you enjoy using your phones without cases and that's the way you want to use it then do it.

That was my view. Sure, ideally i'd like to keep my phone lovely and shiny - and I could protect that with a case - but you never even see the lovely and shiny phone with a case on!

I guess the main thing I worry about is the screen from a drop. I haven't cracked a phone screen before (once dropped a Nexus 7 tablet) on the bathroom floor a short distance and the screen cracked.

I tend not to drop my phone, but as you say, drops are inevitable at some point.

Ninja Dom

Something went weird during my restore, so I opted instead to set up my phone as new. Tweaking every setting to my liking, redownloading all my apps, tweaking all THEIR settings, all-in-all took about 5 hours

Now I remember why I try not to set up my phones as new too much

I prefer to do it as new rather than from backup and have done from new every single year. My Mac & iPad have an entire list of iMessages so I can always refer to those if I wanted yo look some old messages up.

But this year with the 6S I restored from backup because I also had Watch. And I didn't want to lose all of the last 4 months Activity settings and I also didn't want to re-tweak the Watch as well as it is also a lengthy process to customise every Watch face personally too.

Am I right in understanding that if I buy an iPhone from Apple directly in full it comes unlocked? I want to buy the SIM-Free version of the iPhone 6S Plus, but if I can buy it with a SIM card for the carrier I'm jumping to and still have it be unlocked (when bought at MSRP), then I am game.

Are you in UK? Because if you are in the UK then yes, it comes fully unlocked at full price. That is the version I bought.

Meh3D

I just had my phone randomly shut down and not turn on at all. I held the power button down for 15 seconds and nothing. Then I held the power and home button and after 7or so seconds and it booted with the apple logo. (128GB Rose Gold iPhone 6S Samsung A9)

That still a major issue going around? It happened to my cousin with his 6 however he wasn't so lucky. Mine did it at 90% battery life! his at 80ish %. My cousins phone won't exit recovery mode and when being updated or restored it errors out with error 53. His 6's screen is horribly cracked and his home button can literally fall out so that probably adds to it.

GWX

Whatsapp just got 3D Touch support, and I'm very happy with that :)

But does it support quick reply from notifications yet? Yep, that's what I thought. Ditched that shit for Telegram a long time ago, if only everyone would do the same :(

I've got a TSMC, and Facebook has been raping it.

TSMC 128 Plus model and snapchat rapes my battery life. Its crazy because I can watch a youtube video and the battery seems to take forever to drop 1% but the moment I hop on snapchat it starts dropping fast. What the hell? I had no idea snapchat was that much of a battery hog.

Ninja Dom

I just had my phone randomly shut down and not turn on at all. I held the power button down for 15 seconds and nothing. Then I held the power and home button and after 7or so seconds and it booted with the apple logo. (128GB Rose Gold iPhone 6S Samsung A9)

That still a major issue going around? It happened to my cousin with his 6 however he wasn't so lucky. Mine did it at 90% battery life! his at 80ish %. My cousins phone won't exit recovery mode and when being updated or restored it errors out with error 53. His 6's screen is horribly cracked and his home button can literally fall out so that probably adds to it.

It's happened to me twice since 6S launch.

A glimmer of hope is that I was reading the Macrumors Forum thread of this and as of iOS 9.1 Public Beta 4, the issue is improved.

Admodieus

My 6S arrived today, TSMC chip too. Really impressed by how much better the Google apps are on the device. Was a big surprise to see Google Authenticator to have Material Design, coming from Android where it still looks like Holo

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TSMC 128 Plus model and snapchat rapes my battery life. Its crazy because I can watch a youtube video and the battery seems to take forever to drop 1% but the moment I hop on snapchat it starts dropping fast. What the hell? I had no idea snapchat was that much of a battery hog.
Youtube goes over hw decoders and compositors on pretty much any handheld device these days.

Number45

Ugh, lead time on the only place I can find the Speck Candyshell Clear in the UK is 2-4 weeks and I'd really like it by the time the phone arrives (which is slated for the week commencing the 26th). Order it and take the risk, and just go caseless until it arrives?

It's the only solid case I've really considered. I've been using a Sena Corsa case since I got my 4s but I really think I'd like the extra rigidity of a hard case given the size of the phone. :/

Jeremy

Ha!

I do love how Apple has acknowledged that removing Apple apps is something people want. It's just a matter of whether or not it happens sooner or later.

The amount of apps I have no interest in has gotten out of control. I don't like a cluttered screen, the idea that it's taking up space or the fact that I'm never going to use it and yet, there it is. I don't like computers or phones to be loaded with bullshit.

The mobile industry needs to do something about batteries in general. I'm not electronics expert but why doesn't battery tech move as fast as other tech?

Wreav

Banned

I have snapchat set to "travel mode" or whatever they call it. doesn't fetch stories in the background.

Daaaaamn. I've already gotten used to the 6S Plus' size apparently, since I got to play around with my friend's regular 6S and was like "holy shit this is small." I knew I'd desensitize at some point, but still. lol

Reckoner

Someone called me today from an unknown number.

I want to believe that it was from the store where I ordered my 6s.

I'll find out tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!

I have snapchat set to "travel mode" or whatever they call it. doesn't fetch stories in the background.

Yeah I just did this. Seems a bit better now.

Daaaaamn. I've already gotten used to the 6S Plus' size apparently, since I got to play around with my friend's regular 6S and was like "holy shit this is small." I knew I'd desensitize at some point, but still. lol

I went from the 6s to the 6s plus and I love the screen size and everything about the phone. I can't go back to a smaller phone ever again haha.

//ARCANUM

So are people having luck getting up at 8am and checking the Apple Store reservations at that time? I've been looking to see if I can get a black 64gb verizon 6s+ for the past 1.5 weeks now and i'm yet to see it at either of the stores in my city. i'm guessing I really need to get up at 8am and check then, huh?

This is 6s with low power mode on vs a 6s Plus without low power mode on. Both TSMC.

PPYuEbH.jpg
axoI2UE.jpg

OK first day of real use (at Disney World Magic Kingdom all day), and I am having real issues.

EDIT: dummy me forgot a HARD reset. I was doing a SOFT one. ALL BETTER.

Also, is the PhotoStream folder in Photos a thing of the past with iCloud photos? I turned on PhotoStream and no folder on my phone. Is it just different now?

EDIT: HAHA figured this out too.

AllenShrz

I guess I'm lucky, my 6s battery with a Samsung chip last me trough all the day, by midnight I have around 50% battery left.

The apps that use the battery the most are, safari, downcast, whatsapp, line and spotify.

I guess I'm lucky, my 6s battery with a Samsung chip last me trough all the day, by midnight I have around 50% battery left.

The apps that use the battery the most are, safari, downcast, whatsapp, line and spotify.

I'm pretty sure that's common. This chip thing is a big exaggerated.

//ARCANUM

woah. 6s? not 6s PLUS? my battery is drained about by 9pm usually and i take it off the charger at about 1030am... but I'm using my phone A LOT during the day. how much are you using it? can you post your battery usage page (the bottom of the page) from the end of your day?

AllenShrz

woah. 6s? not 6s PLUS? my battery is drained about by 9pm usually and i take it off the charger at about 1030am... but I'm using my phone A LOT during the day. how much are you using it? can you post your battery usage page (the bottom of the page) from the end of your day?

Yes, 6s non plus.

This is my current charge, I unplugged at 7:20 am and now is 10:20 am, and I´ve used it for browsing, messaging, podcast since then.
pzno0Se.png

//ARCANUM

Yes, 6s non plus.

This is my current charge, I unplugged at 7:20 am and now is 10:20 am, and I´ve used it for browsing, messaging, podcast since then.
pzno0Se.png

Sorry I mean can you put up the very bottom of the battery page? It shows total usage there.

Edit - also wow, only down 4% in 3hrs? That's kinda insane battery life. Like better than I got on my previous 6+. Are you running with like all system services off or something? Or maybe it's because you're on a 4G network as opposed to LTE? Maybe LTE just drains the battery that much quicker?

Double edit - hell, even one match of hearthstone drops my battery at least 2-3%, even more if it's a long match. (I'm on a 6s)

AllenShrz

Sorry I mean can you put up the very bottom of the battery page? It shows total usage there.

Edit - also wow, only down 4% in 3hrs? That's kinda insane battery life. Like better than I got on my previous 6+. Are you running with like all system services off or something? Or maybe it's because you're on a 4G network as opposed to LTE? Maybe LTE just drains the battery that much quicker?

Double edit - hell, even one match of hearthstone drops my battery at least 2-3%, even more if it's a long match. (I'm on a 6s)

I dont know if being a 4G or LTE makes a difference. Location services are enabled, but icould is disabled.

Hearthstonedoes drops the battery but I dont feel is a significant drain.

Also, Ive never felt the iphone warm, as contrary to what some reviews say. My old HTC one got waaaaaay much warmer for doing basic tasks, never mid gaming with it, it would get unconformable hot.

//ARCANUM

I dont know if being a 4G or LTE makes a difference. Location services are enabled, but icould is disabled.

Hearthstonedoes drops the battery but I dont feel is a significant drain.

Also, Ive never felt the iphone warm, as contrary to what some reviews say. My old HTC one got waaaaaay much warmer for doing basic tasks, never mid gaming with it, it would get unconformable hot.

Well whatever you're doing, keep doing it. You're getting amazing battery life! I'm shocked!

AllenShrz

The only thing I did that maybe helped with the battery life was to check all the apps I have installed and block them for giving me notifications, almost all of them, and disable background activity when I felt was unnecessary.

Sun Drugs

Got the 6s last week and I still can't believe how excellent the battery is. If I charge it to to 100 percent before bedtime and unplug it, it'll hardly lose anything by sunrise. Coming from an HTC One M7, I am so pleased.

Against my better judgment I bought an unlocked 6S+ from Apple. I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile, so I figured may as well get a new phone, too. Coming from a 6+ I'm not expecting a huge upgrade.

So, where would be the best place to sell my old iPhone 6+? I've about a year left of AppleCare+, which complicates things.

//ARCANUM

Against my better judgment I bought an unlocked 6S+ from Apple. I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile, so I figured may as well get a new phone, too coming from a 6+ ai'm not expecting a huge upgrade.

So, where would be the best place to sell my old iPhone 6+? I've about a year left of AppleCare+, which complicates things.

Honestly, you're probably looking at getting the most money from Craigslist. If you do sell on craigslist, I believe there is a process in place to transfer applecare to the new owner since applecare stays attached to the device.

Against my better judgment I bought an unlocked 6S+ from Apple. I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile, so I figured may as well get a new phone, too coming from a 6+ ai'm not expecting a huge upgrade.

The two gigs alone make this a no-brainer. :)

Honestly, you're probably looking at getting the most money from Craigslist. If you do sell on craigslist, I believe there is a process in place to transfer applecare to the new owner since applecare stays attached to the device.
That's a good idea. I normally don't think about Craig's List as it's a hive of scum and villainy worse than FleaBay.

The two gigs alone make this a no-brainer. :)
I'll never understand why Apple put o my 1GB in the 6/6+.

Did you go from a 6/6+ to a 6S/6S+, Bear Force? Or anyone, for that matter, was it a minor upgrade or definitely worth it?

//ARCANUM

That's a good idea. I normally don't think about Craig's List as it's a hive of scum and villainy worse than FleaBay.

Did you go from a 6/6+ to a 6S/6S+, Bear Force? Or anyone, for that matter, was it a minor upgrade or definitely worth it?

I've sold all my iPhone on Craigslist since the first gen model and never had any issues personally. Just be smart about it. Meet in public - at a Starbucks or something.

Edit - also, there's always the Buy/Sell/Trade thread on NeoGaf. I've done lots of buying and selling there. It's a real safe place for that sort of thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I went from an iPad Air 1 to air 2 almost entirely for the 2GB ram and it was probably the best iPad upgrade I've done except for the og iPad to iPad 2. Makes safari actually usable.

Gaaraz

Is there anyway to see only battery usage since the last charge? Battery use in the past 24 hours doesn't seem very useful

I just got my iPhone 6s+ 64GB Space Grey factory unlocked. This phone seems to run hot, compared to my other ones.

Do the Samsung chip phones run more hot than the TSMC ones?

AllenShrz

I just got my iPhone 6s+ 64GB Space Grey factory unlocked. This phone seems to run hot, compared to my other ones.

Do the Samsung chip phones run more hot than the TSMC ones?

Im really baffled, a lot of people complain about this and bad battery life and mine with a samsung chip last all the day and not even once since I got it I felt it was warm.

What do people run on them to kill the battery or make it warm? Not even gaming I feel it gets any hotter.

Top Bottom