• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Got my 6S plus, it has a TSMC chip. It's not perfect though, some spots at the corner of the screen is slightly darker, not sure if it will disappear after some time like some previous screen problems some iPhones had. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Im really baffled, a lot of people complain about this and bad battery life and mine with a samsung chip last all the day and not even once since I got it I felt it was warm.

What do people run on them to kill the battery or make it warm? Not even gaming I feel it gets any hotter.

Possibly still running through the indexing processes if you just set it up?

I have no idea, I'm currently on a Galaxy S6 right now and before that I got rid of my 6+ in August, it is no where as warm as my new 6S+.

I didn't even start up the phone with a back up, set it up as a brand new phone, not even the SIM is inside yet. Running it on Wifi at the moment and I'm playing around with Apple's own News app and I can feel the top right edge of the phone getting warmer than usual.

//ARCANUM

well this is certainly frustrating. i tried my luck getting a 6s+ this morning. woke up early, refreshing at 8am and when it finally pops up... they have the exact same stock they had when they closed last night. sigh :(

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Got my 6S plus, it has a TSMC chip. It's not perfect though, some spots at the corner of the screen is slightly darker, not sure if it will disappear after some time like some previous screen problems some iPhones had. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Don't wait to see if it gets better. Do you have an apple store local to you? If so, make an appointment to bring it in on their website. They typically have exchange units at the store.

I got my 6S+ exchanged because of dead pixels.

Newline

Particularly in the bottom left? That's a known defect on 6S+'s which is caused by pinching of the display due to how tightly everything is packed. I doubt you'll find a 6S+ without that issue.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is there a way to get a live photo to animate on a lock screen without force touch?

If the screen issue doesn't go away in a couple of days, and it were me, I'd be on the horn with Apple getting it repaired/replaced. For as expensive as these phones I wouldn't settle for a defect like that.

Particularly in the bottom left? That's a known defect on 6S+'s which is caused by pinching of the display due to how tightly everything is packed. I doubt you'll find a 6S+ without that issue.
Yes, though it's only noticeable under white background, I also have a bit of backlight problem like this, but less severe, and also only noticeable with white background.
Don't wait to see if it gets better. Do you have an apple store local to you? If so, make an appointment to bring it in on their website. They typically have exchange units at the store.

I got my 6S+ exchanged because of dead pixels.

If the screen issue doesn't go away in a couple of days, and it were me, I'd be on the horn with Apple getting it repaired/replaced. For as expensive as these phones I wouldn't settle for a defect like that.
I'm gonna wait a while and see. There's no Apple Store in Taiwan, only premium resellers, I bought it from Apple's website, returning would leave me weeks without a phone.

And it looks like restoring backup from iCloud also includes downloading your entire music library for you if you have Apple Music, no wonder it's taking forever.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
And it looks like restoring backup from iCloud also includes downloading your entire music library for you if you have Apple Music, no wonder it's taking forever.

I got mine yesterday and even though it's pulled down all my apps, music, photos and settings, it still says 'Restoring from iCloud' on the lock screen.

Wreav

Banned

I'm lying if I say I'm happy with the camera upgrade. Sure, 4K video is nice, but pictures day in and out are barely noticeably better than the 6. The 6's sensor was already lagging behind the S6 and G4, and by this time 6 months from now, the iPhone will be even farther in the dust.

Not to say it doesn't take good pictures, it's just not taking great pictures.

Erebus

I wish smartphones would increase the size of their lenses and sensors outside of a few niche products. They are working magic with software and tiny optics but why not work with physics instead of fighting it?
Because phones are getting slimmer and slimmer every year, I guess.

//ARCANUM

Well I did a simple little battery test - I took it off the charger at 8am and didn't touch it. I look at the battery at 11am and its down to 92%. 8% lost in 3hrs standby and it says that "usage" was 1hr15mins..... But I wasn't using it.... And the only apps I have background refresh on are Gmail, FB Messenger, Twitter & Weather. Everything else is turned off. And I completely uninstalled the Facebook app too since I've read about it being a battery hog. So is my 8% loss in 3hrs standby normal? And why the heck is it says my phone was used for over an hour when it was sitting there (and I was asleep)??

I'm on an iPhone 6s btw.

Edit - I did the quick math and that would between 30-40hrs standby so I guess that's normal? (Nowhere near what the guy on the last page is getting, but his is an anomaly).... But yeah, what's up with the over an hour of usage report? Do I have a Ga.....ga......ga......ghooooooooost?

VPhys

Apple is now selling the iphone without sim (unlocked.)

Are the Verizon iphones identical to the iphones sold without a sim?

Nephtis

Given what I've read so far, the sim-free phones are basically the ATT model without having to be chained to ATT for any period of time (band 30).

Verizon, Tmo and Sprint all use the same base model, so if you buy it outright, you should be able to use the phone with any carrier, with the exception of ATT's band 30.

Red

Because phones are getting slimmer and slimmer every year, I guess.
Yeah. It just seems counterproductive to slim down a millimeter or two at the expense of camera quality and battery life. Processors and software get more efficient to compensate but we never see any real big leaps anymore. Most of the improvements are behind the scenes.

Given what I've read so far, the sim-free phones are basically the ATT model without having to be chained to ATT for any period of time (band 30).

Verizon, Tmo and Sprint all use the same base model, so if you buy it outright, you should be able to use the phone with any carrier, with the exception of ATT's band 30.
The Sim-Free version is actually a different model number. Check out Apple's handy-dandy chart here. Model A1633/A1634 is the Sim-Free model and the others are their respective carrier's signal transmission methodology.

Gawge

Is there any way to see 'recently played' songs in the Music app when you are listening to Beats 1?

Also, I see playlists - but I can't find an obvious place to search for curated playlists. Is there a place where you can search people's playlists? Top playlists? Keywords?

Red

Camera sensors are getting larger.
For the iPhone 6s that is specifically not the case. Megapixels are always creeping up but that does not always correspond to an increase in the size of the sensor. The iPhone 6 and 6s both have a 1/3" sensor. As a consequence of the move to 12 megapixels, the 6s actually has a smaller pixel size than the 4s (I can't find information for earlier phones; it is possible that it has a smaller pixel size than the 4 or earlier). Sensors themselves may be improving, but again it is by finding ways around the limitations introduced by smaller sizes instead of embracing larger formats and the benefits they bestow.

I know this argument is a fart in the wind. Phones keep miniaturizing. There is little indication they will change course and move en masse toward larger camera optics and battery size.

//ARCANUM

FYI apparently the Apple Store will NOT sell a Sim Free iPhone on the apple upgrade program (even though the online reservation system allows you to reserve one for that). They say that the phone has to be activated on a carrier before they can sell it to you. There's a whole gross thread on macrumors on this. But yeah it's pretty shitty. :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well I did a simple little battery test - I took it off the charger at 8am and didn't touch it. I look at the battery at 11am and its down to 92%. 8% lost in 3hrs standby and it says that "usage" was 1hr15mins..... But I wasn't using it.... And the only apps I have background refresh on are Gmail, FB Messenger, Twitter & Weather. Everything else is turned off. And I completely uninstalled the Facebook app too since I've read about it being a battery hog. So is my 8% loss in 3hrs standby normal? And why the heck is it says my phone was used for over an hour when it was sitting there (and I was asleep)??

I'm on an iPhone 6s btw.

Edit - I did the quick math and that would between 30-40hrs standby so I guess that's normal? (Nowhere near what the guy on the last page is getting, but his is an anomaly).... But yeah, what's up with the over an hour of usage report? Do I have a Ga.....ga......ga......ghooooooooost?
That is absolutely not normal. I've been measuring standby battery times since the iphone 5, and an iphone left untouched should not lose more than 1 - 1.5% battery per hour. This has been the case with my iphone 5 and 6, even after a year or so of use. 8% sounds wildly out of proportion. Check if something is constantly fetching your location. Check in the battery settings what is causing the drain. If you tap on the list, you'll see for each app or service just how long it's been active.

//ARCANUM

That is absolutely not normal. I've been measuring standby battery times since the iphone 5, and an iphone left untouched should not lose more than 1 - 1.5% battery per hour. This has been the case with my iphone 5 and 6, even after a year or so of use. 8% sounds wildly out of proportion. Check if something is constantly fetching your location. Check in the battery settings what is causing the drain. If you tap on the list, you'll see for each app or service just how long it's been active.

Lol so it says "battery information will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes".... Wtf? It shows me the times but none of the breakdown by apps. So I hard reset and now I have to charge to full again to see lol. I'm gonna charge it to 100%, not touch it for 30mins and then see how much loss there is. Only additional factor I can think of is I have an Apple Watch? But it wasn't being used either during the loss of 8%. It was on the charger.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lol so it says "battery information will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes".... Wtf? It shows me the times but none of the breakdown by apps. So I hard reset and now I have to charge to full again to see lol. I'm gonna charge it to 100%, not touch it for 30mins and then see how much loss there is. Only additional factor I can think of is I have an Apple Watch? But it wasn't being used either during the loss of 8%. It was on the charger.
My iphone 6 is connected to an apple watch as well. If I don't use either, the battery goes down approx 1% per hour. In fact, when charged to 100%, it can take a few hours before the phone reports going down to 99% (probably because charging can actually go above nominal 100%), and from that point on, it's 1% per hour drain if left untouched.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this article the other day about how Apple choosing to take their chip design in house has pretty much secured them as the only company that really can profit from the smartphone market and also puts them in a position of power in just about any other industry that can use the same chips alongside Apple software.

http://stevecheney.com/on-apples-incredible-platform-advantage/#rf6-1036

Thought it was an interesting read.

ruxtpin

Banned

I didnt have that battery message come up, but had issues with my 6s battery similar to what you describe. I even put it in airplane mode for 3 hours (so I would have thought my battery would have dropped 1-2% over that time) and it ended up dropping 10%.

//ARCANUM

My iphone 6 is connected to an apple watch as well. If I don't use either, the battery goes down approx 1% per hour. In fact, when charged to 100%, it can take a few hours before the phone reports going down to 99% (probably because charging can actually go above nominal 100%), and from that point on, it's 1% per hour drain if left untouched.

I didnt have that battery message come up, but had issues with my 6s battery similar to what you describe. I even put it in airplane mode for 3 hours (so I would have thought my battery would have dropped 1-2% over that time) and it ended up dropping 10%.

wow, thanks guys I'm definitely exchanging it tonight. btw ruxtpin, did you end up returning yours/exchanging? how did that go?

right but they all are unlocked, so you could still go with any carrier you want, no?
Ah, good point. I thought the SIM-Free phone supported more bands, but apparently not. Yeah, you should technically be able to jump between carriers with an iPhone, because, like you said, they all come unlocked regardless.

SURGEdude

wow, thanks guys I'm definitely exchanging it tonight. btw ruxtpin, did you end up returning yours/exchanging? how did that go?

Yeah if you find it losing over 2% an hour in with no use you should exchange it ASAP.

On a sidenote I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of the battery in my Sammy 6S+ because it can get quite hot. High temps are pretty lethal to lithium batteries.

emag

Saw this article the other day about how Apple choosing to take their chip design in house has pretty much secured them as the only company that really can profit from the smartphone market and also puts them in a position of power in just about any other industry that can use the same chips alongside Apple software.

http://stevecheney.com/on-apples-incredible-platform-advantage/#rf6-1036

Thought it was an interesting read.

I don't find Cheney's arguments persuasive. Yes, Apple has the chip design lead in the mobile space. Yes, Apple takes in the vast majority of profits in the mobile space. But the disparity is not due to the other mobile device manufacturers being price-gouged, performance-bound or otherwise hindered by Qualcomm and MediaTek. Consumers (even tech journalists) by and large don't care about the performance difference between, say, the Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6S. 3D Touch and other OS features have virtually nothing to do with the "secret" design of the A9.

//ARCANUM

Okay so I'm running another battery test on my phone. I charged it to 100% and then didn't touch it for 30 minutes. I check it now and it's still at 100%.... which is GOOD, but inconsistent with what happened earlier. Also I check on usage and it says I've used it 14 mins lol. Which again, it's been sitting here with the screen off. So no idea what that's about and I can't see what apps were being used in the background or anything, because it still has that message that says "use your iPhone for a few minutes before you can see battery info blah blah".... so is that 14 mins of usage just gmail refreshing and stuff like that in the background?

even though the battery seems to be doing better *this* time, the tests are inconsistent and I'm still thinking I need to exchange it because of that.

edit - update: after over an hour it's still at 100% charge after not turning it on more than a few times to check battery level. SUPER inconsistent.

Ninja Dom

Usage includes background usage which will occur even if your screen is turned off. Usage is not just down to you physically using the phone. Yeah so Gmail refreshing and other apps.

Redmoon

So far I'm doing real good on battery life on the first charge. Far Far better than my 5s. On my 5s I'd have lost like 10% throughout the workday while the phone was locked and in Low Power Mode.

Got tired of waiting so this is my hours at 50% left with LPM since I don't need full power anyway for daily use. Will post at 1% left.

Rolling 6S.

SDNjO2w.png

Will do another with heavy night usage on the phone after to see what usage life is like.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Official Apple lightning dock or twelve south hirise? I like the lower design of the apple dock so it is less visible when not in use, but the hirise has a back to support the rear of the phone which seems sensible so it isn't just putting the entire weight through that one port.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't find Cheney's arguments persuasive. Yes, Apple has the chip design lead in the mobile space. Yes, Apple takes in the vast majority of profits in the mobile space. But the disparity is not due to the other mobile device manufacturers being price-gouged, performance-bound or otherwise hindered by Qualcomm and MediaTek. Consumers (even tech journalists) by and large don't care about the performance difference between, say, the Nexus 6P and the iPhone 6S. 3D Touch and other OS features have virtually nothing to do with the "secret" design of the A9.

Hmm... I think you might be dismissing his arguments too greatly.

I definitely have met my fair share of people who simply do not like how things "work" on their Android devices and have switched to iPhone as a result.

I don't think he was implying that anything about the A9 or Apple's other chips are super "secret" or anything, simply that Apple, as a company, can design their chips with the sole goal of working well in their devices that run their software to create a much better experience.

What would you propose causes the disparity if not for their ability to provide a user experience that so many people prefer?

Ninja Dom

Official Apple lightning dock or twelve south hirise? I like the lower design of the apple dock so it is less visible when not in use, but the hirise has a back to support the rear of the phone which seems sensible so it isn't just putting the entire weight through that one port.

I really like the Apple lightning dock but at £39.99 it's just too expensive. I remember my iPhone 1st gen (2007) came with the dock as part of the package.

I don't know if this has been asked before but is anyone else worried about the docking station, just seems so easy to break. I like the look but I would be worried about ruining it or my expensive ass phone lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know if this has been asked before but is anyone else worried about the docking station, just seems so easy to break. I like the look but I would be worried about ruining it or my expensive ass phone lol

I was worried too but from reading up the port on the iPhone seems quite sturdy, and presumably Apple wouldn't make something like that without testing it

Top Bottom