• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I haven't had the need to jailbreak my phone since iOS7, what do you guys use it for?

NoSlowAnimations (speeds up iOS animations), StatusHUD2 (puts volume status on status bar, handy so the big popup doesn't block what you're doing), SwipeSelection (swipe on the keyboard to go back/forwards and highlight, 6S has this but you need to 3D Touch on the keyboard but it's less intuitive), Infinidock (scroll your dock), and much more..

Social

I haven't had the need to jailbreak my phone since iOS7, what do you guys use it for?

so many things!

Dimming the screen more than allowed by Apple, Closing all apps at once, clearing badges of apps with a tap, expanding the toggles with a lot more of them, adblocking all sites via HOSTS file but Neogaf of course, adding extra rows and columns on my springboard, adding RAM info at the top, adding seconds to the time on the lock screen.

I could go on, I have so many tweaks and they are all AWESOME

Admodieus

6S Battery life checking in after 24 hours off my first charge. 5 hours 50 minutes of active use, 24 hours 2 minutes of standby time, 33% battery left.

When I got the phone, it was at like 80% - I used it til it was done then charged it back up to 100 and then took it off the charger. Most of my day it sat on Wifi since I worked from home, but I still think this is pretty good.

//ARCANUM

So i went into the Apple store tonight and had a long but ultimately excellent experience. If you missed in from last page, my iPhone 6s was having major inconsistencies in it's battery performance. So I took it in (i'm under 2 weeks), told them it's defective and I'd like a replacement. They didn't even question me or ask for much detail - which was awesome - they just straight up believed me, not that they had reason not to, but some other stores would be real cynical about returns. Anyways they quickly got me a replacement, informed me that the credit check they did (i did the iPhone upgrade program) is good for 30 days so my credit wouldn't be hit again (it would be referencing the same credit report). And I was good to go with a new phone! And on top of all that, the nice lady who helped me had helped me a month or so ago when I was having Apple Watch issues and had to get that replaced. She felt bad for all my issues so she offered me a free Apple Watch sport band of my choosing! I chose the product red one. Pretty flipping awesome service if you ask me.

Then I was thinking about what she said about the credit report staying on file for 30 days. My fiancé and I have been thinking about getting her an iPhone (she has a Galaxy Note 2... time for an upgrade) and with them access the same credit report, it would mean no extra hit on the credit. So I called her in and we got her a 6s too!

So yeah, long night (was there for like 3 hrs lol), but ultimately everything worked out great.

Here's hoping my new 6s performs better on the battery! (I had a samsung and got a samsung replacement lol, but this was not the reason I returned it, check last page for more details)

So i went into the Apple store tonight and had a long but ultimately excellent experience. If you missed in from last page, my iPhone 6s was having major inconsistencies in it's battery performance. So I took it in (i'm under 2 weeks), told them it's defective and I'd like a replacement. They didn't even question me or ask for much detail - which was awesome - they just straight up believed me, not that they had reason not to, but some other stores would be real cynical about returns. Anyways they quickly got me a replacement, informed me that the credit check they did (i did the iPhone upgrade program) is good for 30 days so my credit wouldn't be hit again (it would be referencing the same credit report). And I was good to go with a new phone! And on top of all that, the nice lady who helped me had helped me a month or so ago when I was having Apple Watch issues and had to get that replaced. She felt bad for all my issues so she offered me a free Apple Watch sport band of my choosing! I chose the product red one. Pretty flipping awesome service if you ask me.

Then I was thinking about what she said about the credit report staying on file for 30 days. My fiancé and I have been thinking about getting her an iPhone (she has a Galaxy Note 2... time for an upgrade) and with them access the same credit report, it would mean no extra hit on the credit. So I called her in and we got her a 6s too!

So yeah, long night (was there for like 3 hrs lol), but ultimately everything worked out great.

Here's hoping my new 6s performs better on the battery! (I had a samsung and got a samsung replacement lol, but this was not the reason I returned it, check last page for more details)

I wonder what was wrong with your 6S.

My Samsung 6S+ drained 1% each hour while listening to Harry Potter Audiobooks by Stephen Fry.

//ARCANUM

I wonder what was wrong with your 6S.

My Samsung 6S+ drained 1% each hour while listening to Harry Potter Audiobooks by Stephen Fry.

I think we'll never know lol. The weird thing was that I had random cycles where the battery was FANTASTIC. But 75% of the time the battery was SHITE. Truly the strangest issue I've encountered with an iPhone. I could understand the battery being bad all the time - it would at least make sense, but the random occurrences of great battery life?

giphy.gif

So I'm trying to set up my sister's new iPhone 6S Plus, and I'm getting a huge headache trying to connect to the AppStore. The password and ID are correct, but the message "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" keeps popping up. I tried logging in with my own ID and it worked. What could be the problem?

So I'm trying to set up my sister's new iPhone 6S Plus, and I'm getting a huge headache trying to connect to the AppStore. The password and ID are correct, but the message "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" keeps popping up. I tried logging in with my own ID and it worked. What could be the problem?
Apple is having problem with servers it seems, I can't download or update apps for the past couple of hours.

//ARCANUM

Apple is having problem with servers it seems, I can't download or update apps for the past couple of hours.

yup, you're not alone, seems to be a wide issue: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
(affecting my fiancé and I too)

Shun

Lightning Cables are fine unless you really abuse them.

Macbook Pro chargers tho since you travel so much with it... Mine is patched up with so much electric tape...

Also how much battery does jailbreak affect. I would try again but I really would rather not destroy my battery...

Enco

Google Maps, Keep, Wunderlist and my fitness pal are the only apps I really want to have 3D Touch support. Would be amazing. Especially maps.

Blackhead

Redarse
Ugh I hate these now. Each one is just an opportunity for law enforcement to defeat the encryption security of the device

lol wut?!

Just because a jailbreak is publicly released doesn't mean law enforcement didn't already privately discover and utilize the security breaches. If anything a public jailbreak release incentives Apple to plug the leaks quicker.

The public jailbreak doesn't enable law enforcement to reach over the interwebs and defeat the encryption security of a device. It still requires a device in hand with passcode for the most part and if law enforcement has that you were already fucked without the jailbreak.

New phone's battery is sucking hardcore compared to my previous 6s+

Currently I'm at 61% with 4 hours of usage, 7 of standby, and that's with me charging this thing (just not to full) when I'm driving. My last phone was at 5:41 of usage and 12:17 with 52% left, no recharges. Same settings and everything

I'm hoping it's just the indexing bleeding into day 2...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
first app that exports live photos as gifs or video clips? this will be handy.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/15/live-gif-turns-live-photos-into-gifs/

Also stuck setting my phone up as my primary service is google - has all my contacts/email/calendar. And it needs to send me a verification text but vodafone haven't moved my number across to my new sim yet (of course they've disabled the old one..)

No way to get more than 4 icons in the dock? Plenty of space on the 6+ and I'm so used to it on ipad. If you put phone/messaging/email in there, you only have space for one more :/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No way to get more than 4 icons in the dock? Plenty of space on the 6+ and I'm so used to it on ipad. If you put phone/messaging/email in there, you only have space for one more :/

Not without jailbreaking. I put folders on the dock myself.

Red

New phone's battery is sucking hardcore compared to my previous 6s+

Currently I'm at 61% with 4 hours of usage, 7 of standby, and that's with me charging this thing (just not to full) when I'm driving. My last phone was at 5:41 of usage and 12:17 with 52% left, no recharges. Same settings and everything

I'm hoping it's just the indexing bleeding into day 2...
That's about what I get with a TSMC 6s+. I've been trying to overuse my phone to see what kind of battery I get, and it's usually 10-11 use hours per charge.

Nephtis

Bought a 128GB model. TCMS chip. Silver.

It's a Tmo phone as they didn't have any sim free in stock. The guy at Apple put a VZW sim in, and it recognized it no problem.

I go to Verizon so I can get a sim card, and they're like lol no you need to unlock it with tmo. I go to Tmo and they're like lol no you need to have an active account with us. I'm going to talk to a friend that's a manager at Tmo for help with unlocking the phone. If that doesn't work I'm returning the phone.

To be clear though, the phone itself is not carrier locked as long as you have a sim for the phone. but to have the phone added to your account the legit way with VZW you need to go through the unlocking process at tmo. So it's not, but it kind of is.

Sami+

Soooooo I dropped my 5s and the screen is straight busted. Pure black. Ugh.

My contract with Verizon ends in two weeks, I'm gonna try to go to their store today and ask the guy if I can buy my 6s early. Fucking sucks though.

Sarye

For anyone having battery issues, check to see if facebook is running in the background... or generally check the battery usage to see if something weird is draining the phone.

That was the culprit for me.

emag

6S Battery life checking in after 24 hours off my first charge. 5 hours 50 minutes of active use, 24 hours 2 minutes of standby time, 33% battery left.

My 6S (Samsung) is down to 20%-25% when I plug it on days it's used for ~45 minutes of streaming video/board gaming and a bit higher on other days (unplugged from 6:30 AM to 10:30 PM, streaming music throughout the work day, also used for light web browsing and Pulse newsreading; no significant background usage otherwise). Battery life is tolerable for me.

Hmm... I think you might be dismissing his arguments too greatly.

I definitely have met my fair share of people who simply do not like how things "work" on their Android devices and have switched to iPhone as a result.

I don't think he was implying that anything about the A9 or Apple's other chips are super "secret" or anything, simply that Apple, as a company, can design their chips with the sole goal of working well in their devices that run their software to create a much better experience.

What would you propose causes the disparity if not for their ability to provide a user experience that so many people prefer?

Cheney's summary sentence is: "So… making chips serves as the moat around untold strategic advantages: development secrecy, hyper optimization, supplier negotiating power, etc."

The user experience on iPhone would be much the same (barring performance/watt) even if Apple was using chips designed by MediaTek, Samsung, or Qualcomm. There's nothing special in the A9 that allows for Apple's APIs, UI, or UX (again, beyond performance). Even the profit margins would not be hugely different (the highest end Snapdragons can be found in $250 phones). I'm not denying that designing the A9 in-house has benefits, just that it's not as important as Cheney makes it out to be.

Gaaraz

Can anyone please recommend a good non-leather case that will protect the front of the phone/screen? Something that flips similar to the smart case (though doesn't need the smart features) would be great. I'm in the UK but I imagine most are available there too. Thanks!

Gaaraz

By the way, I didn't realise until just now that this thing has a pedometer built in, we're averaging 9 miles a day and almost 25,000 steps! :O wouldn't have thought it'd be a lot more than half that.

Oxn

Is there a consensus on wireless charging for the iphone 6?

I just bought a charging pad plus a 6plus receiver built into the case. Do they damage your battery? Good bad?

//ARCANUM

First testing on the replacement 6s is going fantastically! I usually sit on my phone for 20-25 minutes dicking around when I wake up. On my previous 6s I'd already be down to 94-92% at this point. On my replacement? I've been up for about 25 mins using it nonstop and I'm still at 100%. Boy am I glad I got a replacement. ^_^

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah it really does. :/ I returned it and got the leather one. It has the same problem but probably only 15% as bad as the silicon one.

how is the grip? need something with traction. Might try a couple of thin/transparent spigen ones. The silicon seems really thick too - the camera goes from protruding to recessed on the back

can you return to any apple store? The one I bought my case from was a 150 mile round trip (only place had the 6s+ in stock). I'd prefer to return to the one that's a 25 mile round trip instead :)

Admodieus

I picked up a Supcase Case for my 6S and love it. Used one before for a Moto X. Minimalist but allows you to have a good secure grip on the phone.

//ARCANUM

how is the grip? need something with traction. Might try a couple of thin/transparent spigen ones. The silicon seems really thick too - the camera goes from protruding to recessed on the back

can you return to any apple store? The one I bought my case from was a 150 mile round trip (only place had the 6s+ in stock). I'd prefer to return to the one that's a 25 mile round trip instead :)

the apple store should have leather cases on display that you can try on. try one out when you return your silicon one and see how it feels!

ruxtpin

Banned
wow, thanks guys I'm definitely exchanging it tonight. btw ruxtpin, did you end up returning yours/exchanging? how did that go?

Late response. I took mine back to Verizon, paid the re-stock fee, and now waiting on a 6S Plus. I've got a work phone I can use in the meantime, but even if I took my 6S to the Apple store and they ran a battery diagnostic on my phone and told me it was OK I wouldn't be able to deal. I'll do with a bigger phone if it means better battery. I actually think my 6S had worse battery than the 5S I had previously.

I just got an iPhone 6s this week. I am really impressed. I have never had an iPhone and I kind of got sick of Android for various reasons. I upgraded from a Samsung S4 by the way. I don't like big phones and the S4 was slightly too big for me.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys can recommend me some apps. I haven't kept up with apps at all (not even on my android phone because I only had 200MB of data, and I just upgraded to 15GB) and I feel overwhelmed. It seems like I can now do everything but I don't even know where to starts. I am looking for more like utility and make-life-easier apps. Possibly a better weather app, and stuff like that. I picked up the flashlight app because that is awesome, though that is the only thing I know of.

I don't play many games (if at all) on my phone just as an fyi (though I can make an exception for an exceptional one).

Red

There is flashlight built into iOS. Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access it in control panel.

My daily apps are Downcast and Audible. General make life easier apps: Evernote, IFTTT, and Hooks.

Does anybody know if the new Apple charging dock works with the Iphone 6s plus with the Apple leather slip case that covers the back and sides?

Well, I made the jump from a 6+ to a 6S+ last night. I am switching carriers, so I figured it would also be a good reason to upgrade. I bought the SIM-Free version from a nearby Apple Store and traded in my old 6+. Yeah, I know I could've gotten more value if I had sold the phone outright, but I didn't want to bother with that, so the value difference decision was made on account of the value of my time.

All in all, this phone is fast! And I am liking 3D Touch 9on the phone with the few apps that use it. Turning the keyboard into a trackpad has been god-tier for moving the cursor when selecting text. That has always been a source of frustration for me.
Lightning Cables are fine unless you really abuse them.
Anecdotal evidence and all that jazz, but every Apple Lightning cable I've owned has had the sheathing break and peel near the Lightning plug side. Every single one! Whereas my Amazon lightning cables have been without issue

Top Bottom