• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

//ARCANUM

Well, I made the jump from a 6+ to a 6S+ last night. I am switching carriers, so I figured it would also be a good reason to upgrade. I bought the SIM-Free version from a nearby Apple Store and traded in my old 6+. Yeah, I know I could've gotten more value if I had sold the phone outright, but I didn't want to bother with that, so the value difference decision was made on account of the value of my time.

All in all, this phone is fast! And I am liking 3D Touch 9on the phone with the few apps that use it. Turning the keyboard into a trackpad has been god-tier for moving the cursor when selecting text. That has always been a source of frustration for me.

Anecdotal evidence and all that jazz, but every Apple Lightning cable I've owned has had the sheathing break and peel near the Lightning plug side. Every single one! Whereas my Amazon lightning cables have been without issue

Turning the keyboard into a trackpad? What? Is this an app or some feature I'm completely.... Holy crap, no joke as I was typing this I just tried 3D touching my keyboard and now my mind is blown. Holy crap. This is the best use for 3D Touch I've seen so far. HOLY CRAP. Thank you!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anybody know if the new Apple charging dock works with the Iphone 6s plus with the Apple leather slip case that covers the back and sides?

They say it is designed to work with their official cases (likely third party too, but they only state theirs).

I'd love a way to easily duplicate apps across platforms. My first iphone so setting it up from new, but I have had multiple ipads and so I know mostly which apps I'll want on the iphone and how I want my folders set up - I just have to do it all manually..

Admodieus

Turning the keyboard into a trackpad? What? Is this an app or some feature I'm completely.... Holy crap, no joke as I was typing this I just tried 3D touching my keyboard and now my mind is blown. Holy crap. This is the best use for 3D Touch I've seen so far. HOLY CRAP. Thank you!!

Yes, it's by far the most used feature for me

Vyer

I just got an iPhone 6s this week. I am really impressed. I have never had an iPhone and I kind of got sick of Android for various reasons. I upgraded from a Samsung S4 by the way. I don't like big phones and the S4 was slightly too big for me.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys can recommend me some apps. I haven't kept up with apps at all (not even on my android phone because I only had 200MB of data, and I just upgraded to 15GB) and I feel overwhelmed. It seems like I can now do everything but I don't even know where to starts. I am looking for more like utility and make-life-easier apps. Possibly a better weather app, and stuff like that. I picked up the flashlight app because that is awesome, though that is the only thing I know of.

I don't play many games (if at all) on my phone just as an fyi (though I can make an exception for an exceptional one).

I like Wunderground for weather. Clips is a useful utility (manages things you've copied to the clipboard and you can access them from the Notification Center). I use Overcast for podcasts. Of course there's all the social media stuff. Anylist is also pretty useful for my family.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cheney's summary sentence is: "So… making chips serves as the moat around untold strategic advantages: development secrecy, hyper optimization, supplier negotiating power, etc."

The user experience on iPhone would be much the same (barring performance/watt) even if Apple was using chips designed by MediaTek, Samsung, or Qualcomm. There's nothing special in the A9 that allows for Apple's APIs, UI, or UX (again, beyond performance). Even the profit margins would not be hugely different (the highest end Snapdragons can be found in $250 phones). I'm not denying that designing the A9 in-house has benefits, just that it's not as important as Cheney makes it out to be.

Performance is the main point, though. The hyper optimization bit in your quote. They design the chips for themselves and only themselves and can dictate chipset features based on the direction they want to go with the software and vice versa. It seems like a massive advantage to me.

If they end up surpassing Intel's mobile PC chips when it comes to performance per watt, that would be huge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are the best camera apps? I want something that'll give me decent control over settings if that is possible on iPhone.

LordOfChaos

Yuss, work got me a 6S, I thought I'd get a 6 since the timing was right on the nose when they ordered it.

TouchID setup really is painless now, used to hate it before, now I registered 4 fingers for shits and giggles, hah.

I knew it was a 6S from the heft before turning it around to see the S, you can feel the difference, but I don't mind it, it's already so light.

The bottom edge seems sharp though where the screen glass should meet the metal case smoothly, the glass seems a bit raised from where it should lay. Is that normal?

3D Touch is cool, don't know why people were complaining it took too much pressure. I left it on normal. On light my long presses are mistaken for 3D touches sometimes. Swipe in from side gesture could use more reliability.

TouchID is definitely fast, a few times I did experience what others are saying about trying to just get to the lock screen but having it unlock. It's not that fast most times though I find, it still takes a fraction of a second.

My battery life wasn't great the first two days, but I discovered Facebook background activity was killing everything. Found some articles on it too. Turns out they use more power with background app refresh turned off then on, since they try to stay active with sneaky methods. What bags of shit.

https://www.macstories.net/linked/the-background-data-and-battery-usage-of-facebooks-ios-app/

Red

What are the best camera apps? I want something that'll give me decent control over settings if that is possible on iPhone.
Lots of good ones. Manual, 645 Pro, Camera+, and ProCam are all solid. These apps generally give you manual control over ISO, shutter speed, and focus.

Sami+

Getting a 6s in about an hour from Verizon today - apparently the 6s Plus needs to be ordered ahead of time and since my 5s completely broke I need a new one today. Do you guys think it'd be possible to come into the store in a few days and tell them I want an exchange, and just pay the difference? Say that I wasn't satisfied with the screen size and battery life or something.

VSCO.

samn

I just got an iPhone 6s this week. I am really impressed. I have never had an iPhone and I kind of got sick of Android for various reasons. I upgraded from a Samsung S4 by the way. I don't like big phones and the S4 was slightly too big for me.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys can recommend me some apps. I haven't kept up with apps at all (not even on my android phone because I only had 200MB of data, and I just upgraded to 15GB) and I feel overwhelmed. It seems like I can now do everything but I don't even know where to starts. I am looking for more like utility and make-life-easier apps. Possibly a better weather app, and stuff like that. I picked up the flashlight app because that is awesome, though that is the only thing I know of.

I don't play many games (if at all) on my phone just as an fyi (though I can make an exception for an exceptional one).

Overcast is a now-free podcast app, Purify blocks ads in Safari, 1Password keeps all your passwords locked behind TouchID, and Launch Center Pro (alternatives are available, like Workflows, I haven't tried these lately but check whatever you get has home-menu 3D touch shortcut support) allows you to do semi-automate a bunch of cool stuff.

Shun

Camera+ is by far the best Camera app on iOS with everything it allows you to do. Well worth the ¥100 I payed.

Macros, manual focus, aperture, ISO, shutter speed, white balance, changing tones and curves, temperature, colors, filters, etc.

It's like a mini Photoshop Lightroom on your iPhone. It's amazing.

VSCO is free, but it doesn't have as many options and the interface isn't as streamlined or easy to use as Camera+. It is much more minimalistic tho.

Fjordson

Just bought a 6 foot Anker cable from Amazon. Hope it's good. Going by customer reviews, third party lightning cables seem to be incredibly hit or miss.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tweetbot's 3D touch to preview functionality is quite good. Very pleased with the update.

S¡mon

Banned

You'll likely already know about the big apps like Facebook, Twitter or Whatsapp so I won't talk about those, but here are a few apps that are lesser known (or at least not that big, which I like).

Yahoo Weather
You talked about a weather app. The Yahoo Weather app is really slick. The standard iOS weather app is actually based on the Yahoo one.

Google Maps
Yes, this is not a small, unknown app. But I still want to mention it: (where I live), it's got the most accurate and up to date apps. Additionally, it's got a lot of real-time data. It's not as beautiful as Apple's app, though.

Shazam
You've also likely heard about this one. If you hear a song and you want to know what it's called and who's listening, Shazam is all you need.

Banking / financials
My local bank has a great app for checking my current financial situation. I can easily transfer money and check if my employer has already paid my salary. For me, probably one of my more useful apps. Check if there's an app for your bank.

Postal / delivery apps (FedEx, UPS, etc)
There are some great delivery apps out there which give realtime information about your package. If you shop online, these apps can be real handy.

My favourite app: Spotify
I really like Spotify. Everywhere I go, I can listen to any song I want. Some people are a bit hesitant about these subscription services, but if you listen to music regularly, than it's worth it.
I'd really recommend you to try out Spotify, or any other music subscription service. It's awesome.

S¡mon;181817195 said:
You'll likely already know about the big apps like Facebook, Twitter or Whatsapp so I won't talk about those, but here are a few apps that are lesser known (or at least not that big, which I like).

Yahoo Weather
You talked about a weather app. The Yahoo Weather app is really slick. The standard iOS weather app is actually based on the Yahoo one.

Google Maps
Yes, this is not a small, unknown app. But I still want to mention it: (where I live), it's got the most accurate and up to date apps. Additionally, it's got a lot of real-time data. It's not as beautiful as Apple's app, though.

Shazam
You've also likely heard about this one. If you hear a song and you want to know what it's called and who's listening, Shazam is all you need.

Banking / financials
My local bank has a great app for checking my current financial situation. I can easily transfer money and check if my employer has already paid my salary. For me, probably one of my more useful apps. Check if there's an app for your bank.

Postal / delivery apps (FedEx, UPS, etc)
There are some great delivery apps out there which give realtime information about your package. If you shop online, these apps can be real handy.

My favourite app: Spotify
I really like Spotify. Everywhere I go, I can listen to any song I want. Some people are a bit hesitant about these subscription services, but if you listen to music regularly, than it's worth it.
I'd really recommend you to try out Spotify, or any other music subscription service. It's awesome.

Shazam is now built into Siri, so you can just ask her what song is playing and she'll search for it. Plus it'll get added to a Siri list in iTunes so you can find it later

GWX

Shazam is now built into Siri, so you can just ask her what song is playing and she'll search for it. Plus it'll get added to a Siri list in iTunes so you can find it later

And if you tap on the song, Siri redirects you to the it's Apple Music page (if available).

I managed to break the screen on my 5s, a first since I've only ever drowned them before. I'm probably going to go with the 6s+, but I think I'm going to need to make a decision on my plan. I'm with AT&T and I've still got the grandfathered unlimited plan. I know it's not that great a value anymore, something like $90 a month for unlimited texts, calls and data (until they throttle me at 5 gigs.) I know it's probably time to move on, but I'm having trouble bringing myself to get rid of it. Maybe it's because of how hard they've tried over the years to get me off it, or it being a remnant of an earlier and better time, when we thought the internet would be unlimited and not capped at preposterously low numbers.

Has anyone here made the switch? Does anyone still have their grandfathered plan? I'd like to figure out what I'm going to do before I show up at the store.

//ARCANUM

I managed to break the screen on my 5s, a first since I've only ever drowned them before. I'm probably going to go with the 6s+, but I think I'm going to need to make a decision on my plan. I'm with AT&T and I've still got the grandfathered unlimited plan. I know it's not that great a value anymore, something like $90 a month for unlimited texts, calls and data (until they throttle me at 5 gigs.) I know it's probably time to move on, but I'm having trouble bringing myself to get rid of it. Maybe it's because of how hard they've tried over the years to get me off it, or it being a remnant of an earlier and better time, when we thought the internet would be unlimited and not capped at preposterously low numbers.

Has anyone here made the switch? Does anyone still have their grandfathered plan? I'd like to figure out what I'm going to do before I show up at the store.

I gave up the grandfathered plan years ago when I learned about the throttling. Switched to Verizon and never looked back.

gimmmick

I gave up the grandfathered plan years ago when I learned about the throttling. Switched to Verizon and never looked back.

This is what I told my buddy when ever his wife wants him to add him to the family plan on ATT. He doesn't want to give up his unlimited data plan, but can save a lot of money being on a 20 gig plan with his wife family plan (which they don't even use half of that data). What's the whole point of unlimited if the company is going to throttle you?

//ARCANUM

This is what I told my buddy when ever his wife wants him to add him to the family plan on ATT. He doesn't want to give up his unlimited data plan, but can save a lot of money being on a 20 gig plan with his wife family plan (which they don't even use half of that data). What's the whole point of unlimited if the company is going to throttle you?

seriously, with the throttling i wonder if you could even *hit* 20 gigs in a month?

I've decided to send my phone back for a new one, not gonna settle on minor defects after spending so much money. How long does it usually take to send a new one after receiving the original product?

Vov

Anecdotal evidence and all that jazz, but every Apple Lightning cable I've owned has had the sheathing break and peel near the Lightning plug side. Every single one! Whereas my Amazon lightning cables have been without issue

If you live near an Apple Store and don't want to make an appointment you can just go to accessories section like you plan to buy a lightning cable. Ask the salesperson what the warranty is on cables that come with the iPhone. They will say a year, then pull your broken one out of your pocket and they will switch it out immediately at no charge.

If you live near an Apple Store and don't want to make an appointment you can just go to accessories section like you plan to buy a lightning cable. Ask the salesperson what the warranty is on cables that come with the iPhone. They will say a year, then pull your broken one out of your pocket and they will switch it out immediately at no charge.

Old policy. Maybe some still do that out of kindness, but now broken cables have to go through a technician/Genius Bar as well

Thanks for that pointer! My nearest Apple Store is 50 miles in either direction. I just bought some Amazon cables to replace my Apple ones, so I should be good to for a while.

Thank you everyone for the app recommendations. Being a new user, it is really helpful.

How do you know which chip you got? Right now I am at 50% battery, and this is with 24 hours of standby and 4 1/4 hours of usage. It is way better than the Samsung S4 I had. I have a iPhone 6s 64gb space grey btw.

Thank you everyone for the app recommendations. Being a new user, it is really helpful.

How do you know which chip you got? Right now I am at 50% battery, and this is with 24 hours of standby and 4 1/4 hours of usage. It is way better than the Samsung S4 I had. I have a iPhone 6s 64gb space grey btw.

Lirum Device Info Lite - System Monitor by Rogerio Hirooka
https://appsto.re/us/-AarJ.i

Download that app. On the home screen of the app, it would say Model: n(66 or 71) map if it's a TSMC, N(66 or 71) ap (no "m") if it's Samsung.

Fjordson

Wasn't sure where else to ask this but...

Has anyone had this issue where you pre-order an album from iTunes, but once it's out you can't download it? Under "price" for each song is just a grayed out "purchased" button but I can't figure how to download any of the songs. They aren't showing up in my purchased list and they aren't showing up in my hidden purchased list. Getting really annoying....

Lol so it says "battery information will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes".... Wtf? It shows me the times but none of the breakdown by apps. So I hard reset and now I have to charge to full again to see lol. I'm gonna charge it to 100%, not touch it for 30mins and then see how much loss there is. Only additional factor I can think of is I have an Apple Watch? But it wasn't being used either during the loss of 8%. It was on the charger.
My 6s is giving me the same message now. Should I try a hard reset? Or maybe uninstall apps one by one to see if any of them affect this?

Ninja Dom

Anandtech taking a long time with their iPhone 6S review. I'm really eager to read this. Why do you think it's taking so long? Phone has been out 3 weeks now.

Top Bottom