• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Just got a 64GB 6S last night. Loving it so far, moved from a 5S.

Thinking of getting a case, nothing too crazy just something to support the back and the sides so I don't feel bad resting it anywhere. Suggestions?

Reckoner

Thinking of getting a case, nothing too crazy just something to support the back and the sides so I don't feel bad resting it anywhere. Suggestions?

Official one, Anker Slim Shell Cases, Spiegen... all good ones.

Can't wait for mine to arrive. Gonna be quite a shock going from 3.5 to 5.5 but my hands are ready!
The screen is bigger but not overly so, you'll probably get more tripped up by the lock button moving to the side if you're like me. It doesn't choke on... Anything.

Ball hard and get a lizard skin case

http://www.vianelnewyork.com/collections/iphone-cases

Number45

The screen is bigger but not overly so, you'll probably get more tripped up by the lock button moving to the side if you're like me. It doesn't choke on... Anything.
The lock button on my 4S is currently fucked, so a way of locking my phone that doesn't require the use of the accessibility feature will be heaven. I don't care where the button is!

If anything, I'm more bothered about the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone. All the blood will rush to its head while it's in my pocket. :'(

LordOfChaos

I think the TouchID 2 magic trick with unlocking when you just wanted to press home is cheating a bit. If I make sure to keep my finger off it and then click it fast, it doesn't unlock. If my finger was resting on it and then I click it fast and remove my finger, then it does unlock. I think it's constantly reading fingerprints while the screen is off, and the 6 was not.

Not that it matters -it's a cheat, but a good cheat, just had to retrain to use the power button instead. But I think that's what's going on, since the 2x faster explanation didn't do justice to how fast it sometimes registers.

Redmoon

100% certain something is up with the time logging since last full charge. Unplugged my 6s Monday at 7AM. It died at 1PM Friday. 102H yet it shows I have 109. Anyway (6s again) :

KqiGpRd.jpg

Looking forward the the Plus' battery life whenever I get one ^^

Fjordson

Just looking at the two there isn't a huge difference, but after using the 6S for a few weeks my 5 feels sooo tiny. It's crazy.

Sami+

So my dad's trying, again, to buy an iPhone off craigslist. 6s for $350. Wants me to make sure he doesn't get ripped off. Mm.

Cross your fingers and hope I don't get shot today guys. 😂

What cases are you all using? Do they interfere with 3D Touch, particularly swipe from left for multitasking?

I got a waterproof one free from Verizon that I only use for watching Netflix in the shower.

HvySky

Just got an email saying my phone shipped! So excited!

If it's two day air delivery, and it shipped today, then I assume I should expect it on Monday? Sprint said they'd call me when it arrived in-store, but clearly patience isn't always one of my stronger qualities.

I'm still naked. No case.
I tried that with my 6+ and the screen and back got scratched. I wound up exchanging it through AppleCare+ and the replacement was instantly enveloped in a case and screen protector. Never again will I go naked. I had an iPhone 5 that lasted two years without a single scratch on the screen, but the 6+ got scratched very quickly. And this was just from normal use.

I think the TouchID 2 magic trick with unlocking when you just wanted to press home is cheating a bit. If I make sure to keep my finger off it and then click it fast, it doesn't unlock. If my finger was resting on it and then I click it fast and remove my finger, then it does unlock. I think it's constantly reading fingerprints while the screen is off, and the 6 was not.

Not that it matters -it's a cheat, but a good cheat, just had to retrain to use the power button instead. But I think that's what's going on, since the 2x faster explanation didn't do justice to how fast it sometimes registers.

Honestly I just press the home button with the tip of my thumb (basically with my nail) if I don't want to actually unlock my phone. It never unlocks that way. I still love how fast TouchID is though. I never used to lock my phones with pass codes before this phone because it took too long to get in. This thing is basically undetectable. So fast.

Ok. weird but ok - why not just have a big red button on the screen? Actually I'm pretty sure I've had a big red button on the screen with an incoming call. But only once.

It's pretty dumb...if your screen is already on, you can't deny a call, but if it was off, you'll get a chance to press a red button on the screen...or vice versa. It's something silly like that.

cchum

It's pretty dumb...if your screen is already on, you can't deny a call, but if it was off, you'll get a chance to press a red button on the screen...or vice versa. It's something silly like that.

I think it's there so you don't accidentally hang up or deny a call when trying to fish the phone out of pocket/purse.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it's there so you don't accidentally hang up or deny a call when trying to fish the phone out of pocket/purse.

Makes sense. So then have a 'swipe left to dismiss' like they have a swipe right to answer. Or let you unlock the phone and then have an on screen button. Nobody using an iPhone for the first time will have any clue how to reject a call.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So what will be the best way to sell my 6s+ 16GB. I was being cheap and didn't want to pay the 850 dollars for the 64GB, that was a terrible mistake. Now I can't return the phone because the 14-day return period is over. AT&T said they'll give me credit towards a new one, but it'll only be like 400 dollars. I also really want a Space Grey 6s+ instead. So I have two major reasons why I want to sell my current 6s+. I need the 64GB, and plus the Space Grey looks soooooo nice and classy in person.

Edit- Also the funny thing is, is I don't have not 1 song on my phone, because I stream via Spotify. And all I have installed is 9 Apps that I use daily Twitter, Bleacher Report, Bank Of America, YouTube, Amazon, My AT&T, and Gmail. And just like two 1080p 60FPS vids. Wow the 16GB is trash.

LordOfChaos

Hey Siri...Isn't that good. You have to try to eliminate background noise and project your voice to the phone, to the point where you're probably leaning into it and could have activate it physically anyways.

Idk. Does it hone in on your voice more over time?

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm still naked. No case.

Same but I am really wanting to get a case soon... because I plan on selling mine so I can get an iPhone 7 next year and I need to keep it in the best condition possible

Preferably something low profile. Clear would also be good.

Purexed

Banned
Feel like I won the lottery. I sent my Samsung 6S+ phone into AppleCare because I felt the battery life was way worse than what I had on my original 6 Plus. With normal use, my battery drain would be about 14% an hour.

Got a TSMC version back today, and so far, the battery is about on par with my old 6 Plus.

LordOfChaos

I'll never understand the appeal of clear cases.

Looks like those jelly shoes little girls used to wear.

The appeal is *not* drawing attention to the cases design. A thin clear case should showcase the phone itself that took large teams a long time to make, vs opaque cases that just show whatever was designed in a few weeks by case makers.

LordOfChaos

By the way - battery life is much much better today after getting rid of the Facebook and Messenger apps with their sneaky background shit. It was at 65% by 5 today, yesterday it was down to 40 by then and 17 by end of day.

Still not where my Moto G was I think, but I can deal.

The appeal is *not* drawing attention to the cases design. A thin clear case should showcase the phone itself that took large teams a long time to make, vs opaque cases that just show whatever was designed in a few weeks by case makers.
Do you know of any case examples that fit this description?

toohectic

You can decline a call by pressing the Sleep button.

Yep, but you can also double click the sleep/wake button to decline the call and instantly send the caller to voicemail. A single click will decline the call, but the caller will have to listen to the standard number of rings before going to voicemail.

gamma

Yep, but you can also double click the sleep/wake button to decline the call and instantly send the caller to voicemail. A single click will decline the call, but the caller will have to listen to the standard number of rings before going to voicemail.

A single press doesn't decline the call, it just mutes the ringtone.

Ok. weird but ok - why not just have a big red button on the screen? Actually I'm pretty sure I've had a big red button on the screen with an incoming call. But only once.

From User Guide:

Silence a call. Press the Sleep/Wake button or either volume button. You can still answer the call after silencing it, until it goes to voicemail.

Decline a call and send it directly to voicemail. Do one of the following:

Press the Sleep/Wake button twice quickly.

Press and hold the center button on your headset for about two seconds. Two low beeps confirm that the call was declined.

Tap Decline (if iPhone is awake when the call comes in).

NYR

Same but I am really wanting to get a case soon... because I plan on selling mine so I can get an iPhone 7 next year and I need to keep it in the best condition possible

Preferably something low profile. Clear would also be good.
I used to buy $40 Power Support cases. I switched this year to $1 TPU cases off of eBay. Clear, slim, protect the device at almost no cost.

Only issue is they yellow, but swap one out every 2 months, at one $1 each, just order 10.

Akira

Is it just me or does the iPhone 6S Plus size not feel TOO big and it's just right? I guess it could stand to lose bezels on the top and bottom and even the sides when I look at it in device photos, but I don't feel that need when I'm actually using it, holding it, and looking at the screen. Coming from the 5inch Nexus 5, I TOTALLY understand when people say smaller phones feel like toys now. Even more so when I held my old iPhone 4.

I'm not sure if I can move down to a smaller screen now. I'd prolly love it if Apple shaved bezels on all sides and kept the same 5.5-inch screen for the 7 Plus, but I feel like it'd just be cherry on top. I love how the 6S feels.

Is it just me or does the iPhone 6S Plus size not feel TOO big and it's just right? I guess it could stand to lose bezels on the top and bottom and even the sides when I look at it in device photos, but I don't feel that need when I'm actually using it, holding it, and looking at the screen. Coming from the 5inch Nexus 5, I TOTALLY understand when people say smaller phones feel like toys now. Even more so when I held my old iPhone 4.

I'm not sure if I can move down to a smaller screen now. I'd prolly love it if Apple shaved bezels on all sides and kept the same 5.5-inch screen for the 7 Plus, but I feel like it'd just be cherry on top. I love how the 6S feels.

Plus' size is perfect after having it for less than a week. I couldn't do a smaller phone now.

Hell, I cannot believe how readable comics are on this beauty. JOY!

Question - those of you that stream Spotify or Apple Music or whatever a lot, what's your data usage monthly?

I upgraded to 15gb/month with my partner, and the most he uses is like 1-2gb, so I'm thinking I should be ok.

Red

After using it a while, I dislike the size of the 6s+. I wish the smaller phone had OIS and similar battery. The regular 6s is very comfortable, much more enjoyable to use.

3D Touch to open task manager and switch between apps simply feels better and more responsive on the regular 6s. My 6s+ feels like the 3D Touch panel does not extend to the screen edge or something. It is really difficult to get the action to function as intended. On a 6s I can do it no problem.

If anyone is interested, I'll probably be selling a gold 6+ framexframe bumper in a couple of weeks. $25 and you pay shipping. It's like new.

Question - those of you that stream Spotify or Apple Music or whatever a lot, what's your data usage monthly?

I upgraded to 15gb/month with my partner, and the most he uses is like 1-2gb, so I'm thinking I should be ok.

I stream Apple Music with high quality over cellular level on all the time and usage is fine. Me and two other people manage to keep it under 15gb per month

Top Bottom