• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

You're acting like what I'm saying is an opinion. It's a fact that AT&T is a much better service than T-Mobile, not an opinion. Value wise it may be, but coverage wise it's a fact AT&T always had and always will have better coverage than T-Mobile will ever dream of having.

Remember also that you only get 50MB of roaming data while you're roaming on AT&T with T-Mobile. So yeah, don't go near Mount Rushmore, the entire state of Montana, Charleston WV, or take a cross country drive on I-80 and expect any streaming music to last more than an hour.

adelante

Very happy owner of a 6s here. Had a Nokia 1520 previously so I'm all too familiar with owning giant-ass phablets, in fact I was dead set on getting the Plus since I was already accustomed to a big screen. With the addition of OIS and a bigger battery you'd have thought this decision was a no-brainer, but I got the smaller phone due to stock shortages and I gotta say I'm not regretting the choice at all. I do sometimes miss the bigger screen when reading stuff online but that's pretty much it, the battery is pretty damn awesome (as long as you keep the Facebook app off the phone) and the camera is great.

More than anything else, I just appreciate actually having a phone-sized phone again. Usability on the 6s is so much better than any phablet, I hadn't realized how much I missed just being able to work a phone with one hand until I got the 6s.

This is one of the main reasons why I'll be buying the regular 6s when my contract is up. After having used a Note 2, 3, 4 for the past three years, I forgot how much better ergonomics a small phone offers when I got to play around with the 6s the other day (and I have relatively big-sized hands). I've absolutely no problem with the smaller battery life as I've been carrying around a portable charger with me even when I owned all those Galaxy Notes (very heavy user here, 3000+mah batt is barely enough for me). And if I want big comfortable screen, I'm thinking of going with an actual tablet (looking to get the new Surface Pro).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Very happy owner of a 6s here. Had a Nokia 1520 previously so I'm all too familiar with owning giant-ass phablets, in fact I was dead set on getting the Plus since I was already accustomed to a big screen. With the addition of OIS and a bigger battery you'd have thought this decision was a no-brainer, but I got the smaller phone due to stock shortages and I gotta say I'm not regretting the choice at all. I do sometimes miss the bigger screen when reading stuff online but that's pretty much it, the battery is pretty damn awesome (as long as you keep the Facebook app off the phone) and the camera is great.

More than anything else, I just appreciate actually having a phone-sized phone again. Usability on the 6s is so much better than any phablet, I hadn't realized how much I missed just being able to work a phone with one hand until I got the 6s.

I might switch. The 6s+ feels big to me with a case on (even the alim Apple silicon case). Naked it is borderline ok but then I'm worried about scratching/damaging it. I bought based on the battery life, larger screen for more enjoyable browsing and video, and the OIS for the camera.

Well I usually carry a portable charger with me, and I'm not a super heavy user anyway so I think the battery would be ok. The size - well I'm sitting here on the sofa browsing on my iPad looking at my iPhone on the coffee table. Basically when I'm at home it won't get used much, as the iPad is way better for video and browsing. Out and about I'm not really watching videos anyway. Optical stabilisation is nice for stills but realistically I can live without it. For video the digital stabilisation seems good - is there a dramatic difference in camera shake on video shot on the 6s vs 6s+? And can you comoensate for that in something like premier elements? I mostly take photos rather than video so although stability would be welcome, maybe I can work around it?

Fundamentally though the 6s just nestles in your hand - the 6s+ balances *on* my hand.

If I return the plus to the Apple Store within 14 days and get a 6s, can I still return the 6s if I regret that and grab a plus again, or is that my one replacement card use up?

jts

...hate me...
The thing about sizes is that there isn’t an end-all for anyone, or for most people at least. You’ll appreciate the good sides of each size point, taking them with the drawbacks.

Right now my phone is my main device, I don’t carry my laptop around, I don’t own an iPad anymore, so I’m sure I’ll be absolutely delighted with that screen size and battery life of the Plus.

Downside: not so handy to use in small day-to-day things (one hand usage). I take it.

Doesn’t mean that in the future I won’t appreciate that practicality more than screen size and might go back to a smaller handset.

When I switched from a full size iPad to a mini I went like “whoa, it’s like an iPad in a much more portable form factor, much better”. Right now I’d probably go for a Pro, or at least the Air.

Variety is the spice of life innit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok this is annoying. So, 'hey siri' seems useful, even if I mostly use it for setting cooking timers. But it is getting triggered whenever I say my daughters name - Daisy. So I will probably have to turn it off - would be nice to change the trigger phrase..

jts

...hate me...
Ok this is annoying. So, 'hey siri' seems useful, even if I mostly use it for setting cooking timers. But it is getting triggered whenever I say my daughters name - Daisy. So I will probably have to turn it off - would be nice to change the trigger phrase..
Can’t you change your daughter’s name instead?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The thing about sizes is that there isn’t an end-all for anyone, or for most people at least. You’ll appreciate the good sides of each size point, taking them with the drawbacks.

Right now my phone is my main device, I don’t carry my laptop around, I don’t own an iPad anymore, so I’m sure I’ll be absolutely delighted with that screen size and battery life of the Plus.

Downside: not so handy to use in small day-to-day things (one hand usage). I take it.

Doesn’t mean that in the future I won’t appreciate that practicality more than screen size and might go back to a smaller handset.

When I switched from a full size iPad to a mini I went like “whoa, it’s like an iPad in a much more portable form factor, much better”. Right now I’d probably go for a Pro, or at least the Air.

Variety is the spice of life innit.

Wise words. But those choices can be initially difficult to figure out. Maybe I'll stick with the plus for a year and then I'll have a good idea whether to go big or small with the 7? Could also possibly sell my iPad Air 2.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Alright guys, I'm kinda looking for some input. I've been an Android guy since the first HTC Evo. I'm currently on an HTC One (M8). I've had it for 18 months and it's at a point where it's crashing, freezing, etc. In ready to move on.

I'm strongly considering a 6s or the plus. Do you guys think it's worth the price though? I know Apple has a better system and I wouldn't mind being able to get my iTunes music from my pc onto my phone without having to use multiple apps. Plus having a phone that I know will be great for 2+ years is something I'd like as well.

Basically, why I'd the iPhone better than the Note 5 or the GS6 Edge+? Do you guys have any thoughts on it? I appreciate any advice...

Social

just give your daughter a new nickname :).
but I don't get how it gets triggered for you, those names are so different.

DarKshodaN

just a quick question, is worth it to upgrade from a iphone 6 plus 64gb to an iphone 6s plus 16gb? Could trade it in, nearly without to pay more

Will get the iphone 7 anyway when it comes out, so i don't know if i should just skip the 6s

LCfiner

just a quick question, is worth it to upgrade from a iphone 6 plus 64gb to an iphone 6s plus 16gb? Could trade it in, nearly without to pay more

Will get the iphone 7 anyway when it comes out, so i don't know if i should just skip the 6s

maybe.

do you love the big screen of the plus?

how much space do you use for media and big apps?

if the answers are “no” and “just a little”, then you might appreciate the faster speed and 3D touch of the s version…

Red

My wife traded in her 6 for a 16gb rose gold 6s. We were both lucky enough to get TSMC chips. One thing I haven't seen mentioned but I've noticed consistently over three days: her phone gets a better signal than my 6s+. This is predictable and repeatable. Where I get 4 dots, she gets 5. Where I get 3, she gets 4. She's always 1 higher.

Metallic pink also looks great. White and pink is a nice combination.

Hattori

Banned

If you can wait, do so. Don't settle for a 16GB its not worth it.

ZRdWSZb.jpg

Clean desktop finally complete 🙌🏻

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My wife traded in her 6 for a 16gb rose gold 6s. We were both lucky enough to get TSMC chips. One thing I haven't seen mentioned but I've noticed consistently over three days: her phone gets a better signal than my 6s+. This is predictable and repeatable. Where I get 4 dots, she gets 5. Where I get 3, she gets 4. She's always 1 higher.

Interesting. That could be a justification to switch to the 6s from my 6s+ as we have poor reception our house (wifi calling will help there though)

Going to buy a 6s tomorrow and run it in parallel with my plus for a week before deciding which to return.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ZRdWSZb.jpg

Clean desktop finally complete ����

But it's not a desktop...

Still, I like your implementation of emoji for the folder titles!

You're acting like what I'm saying is an opinion. It's a fact that AT&T is a much better service than T-Mobile, not an opinion. Value wise it may be, but coverage wise it's a fact AT&T always had and always will have better coverage than T-Mobile will ever dream of having.

Again, this may be true for you, but it's not an objective fact that applies to everyone. Where I am, T-Mobile has faster 4G/LTE speeds than Verizon or AT&T. Coverage seems equal.

Red

Again, this may be true for you, but it's not an objective fact that applies to everyone. Where I am, T-Mobile has faster 4G/LTE speeds than Verizon or AT&T. Coverage seems equal.
Same. I don't know if it was network congestion or some other issue, but on Verizon my reception would often choke even if I was obstensibly getting a full 4G signal. YouTube videos would stop over and over to buffer, web pages would get stuck on loading limbo, songs would cut off or take a long time to start playing over Spotify. T-Mobile has been uniformly excellent. I have not had a single stutter.

clav

Alright guys, I'm kinda looking for some input. I've been an Android guy since the first HTC Evo. I'm currently on an HTC One (M8). I've had it for 18 months and it's at a point where it's crashing, freezing, etc. In ready to move on.

I'm strongly considering a 6s or the plus. Do you guys think it's worth the price though? I know Apple has a better system and I wouldn't mind being able to get my iTunes music from my pc onto my phone without having to use multiple apps. Plus having a phone that I know will be great for 2+ years is something I'd like as well.

Basically, why I'd the iPhone better than the Note 5 or the GS6 Edge+? Do you guys have any thoughts on it? I appreciate any advice...

Official updates. For Samsung users, you generally wait until the next flagships are out to get the current Android update. I don't expect Marshmallow until March/April 2016. So many Android devices are not patched up with Stagefright 2.0. Samsung hasn't released a second update to fix that.

I would consider the 6S. Somehow the 6S+ is using a lesser screen than the phone is outputing and is the heaviest smartphone on the market. Antenna reception is much better on the smaller one.

Some things to consider that Android has over iPhone:

1. Notification LED. Android phones have a way to notice when they missed a call or message or other notification without turning on the phone's screen.

2. Firefox. Apparently Firefox iOS has no plans to include extensions that Android + Desktop/Laptop users enjoy.

3. Twilight. If you like f.lux on your laptop/desktop, it's not available on iOS unless you root it, which means you are also making your phone susceptible to hacks.

4. Not dependent on iTunes. Getting a custom ringtone to work isn't easy without iTunes installed. If you're a Mac user, then this wouldn't bother you. However, if you're not a Mac user, then prepare to spend some time to change your ringtone. This is why most iPhone users don't bother changing the default set sound set.

5. Higher ppi screens due to high resolutions + best photo taking camera. iPhone used to be the leader for picture taking, but still holds a considerable lead in video filming. Android flagships this year caught up on picture taking.

6. Tighter integration of Google Now. If Siri doesn't understand your voice, then you will miss Google Now a lot.

If you're tired of Android not getting updated, don't like the Nexus Phones, and don't mind rebuying some apps you use, then go get an iPhone.

Well just ordered a 6s+ for the wife who insisted on the plus size. I personally thought the 6s was perfect size.

Its a surprise and was thinking about giving it to her for Christmas but if she doesn't like the size can she get the 6sfree of charge trade in from Apple? (And an extra $100).

So I might just give it to her earlier. Read some stuff about the phone heating up. Hope we have no issues.

I've never understood why people do this, deliberately avoiding features of the phone that are supposed to make using it so much easier... for what? Large wallpaper should be what the lock screen is for
not sure what i'm misusing; I can still peek and push just fine, stuff is just inside a folder vs screen swiping.

It also pushed apps to the center of the screen which is much nicer for reachability/one hand use

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
So for all you 6S+ people, what's your usual battery life at? Because the first few days I had it, I'd go to sleep with it at 100%, and wake up with it still there. But this morning it was already at 65%.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
"They've been deploying the new 700MHz spectrum network that is considerably improving coverage over rural areas."

But will it actually work though ? Doubt it.
It does work. T-Mobile has turned on the 700Mhz spectrum in my area and I get a great improvement in coverage inside buildings and outside cities on my 6S compared to my previous phone that lacks LTE band 12. It's pretty much negated the only complaint I had about T-Mobile.

Red

Official updates. For Samsung users, you generally wait until the next flagships are out to get the current Android update. I don't expect Marshmallow until March/April 2016. So many Android devices are not patched up with Stagefright 2.0. Samsung hasn't released a second update to fix that.

I would consider the 6S. Somehow the 6S+ is using a lesser screen than the phone is outputing and is the heaviest smartphone on the market. Antenna reception is much better on the smaller one.

1. Notification LED. Android phones have a way to notice when they missed a call or message or other notification without turning on the phone's screen.

2. Firefox. Apparently Firefox iOS has no plans to include extensions that Android + Desktop/Laptop users enjoy.

3. Twilight. If you like f.lux on your laptop/desktop, it's not available on iOS unless you root it, which means you are also making your phone susceptible to hacks.

4. Not dependent on iTunes. Getting a custom ringtone to work isn't easy without iTunes installed. If you're a Mac user, then this wouldn't bother you. However, if you're not a Mac user, then prepare to spend some time to change your ringtone. This is why most iPhone users don't bother changing the default set sound set.

5. Higher ppi screens due to high resolutions + best photo taking camera. iPhone used to be the leader for picture taking, but still holds a considerable lead in video filming. Android flagships this year caught up on picture taking.

6. Tighter integration of Google Now. If Siri doesn't understand your voice, then you will miss Google Now a lot.

If you're tired of Android not getting updated, don't like the Nexus Phones, and don't mind rebuying some apps you use, then go get an iPhone.
iPhones allow the flash to be used as a notification LED.

It does work. T-Mobile has turned on the 700Mhz spectrum in my area and I get a great improvement in coverage inside buildings and outside cities on my 6S compared to my previous phone that lacks LTE band 12. It's pretty much negated the only complaint I had about T-Mobile.
This is good to hear. I just switched to T-Mo after nearly a decade with Verizon. I'm in a suburb to a very large city, so I'm not worried about coverage. I had one dot with Verizon in my house and with T-Mo I'm at two. Though at home none of that matter with Wifi-Calling. Which is a huge benefit to me.

mrkgoo

So for all you 6S+ people, what's your usual battery life at? Because the first few days I had it, I'd go to sleep with it at 100%, and wake up with it still there. But this morning it was already at 65%.

Why not check the battery app? It will show a percentage of battery as used per app in last 24 hours.

DarKshodaN

Thanks for all the replies, they helped me to alot! Guess i will use my iphone 6 plus for another year and get the iphone 7 when it's out.

Nephtis

How screwed am I?

I've invested quite a bit of time on two games - PVZ2 and Brave Frontier on Android. I finally got an iphone 6s+ sim free (though it's samsung, it's already noticeably hotter and the battery life sucks compared to my friend's tcms), and I've been trying to find a way to transfer the profiles from android to ios

I've been searching on google but nothing seems to pan out.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

Awesome! Thank you for the advice. In gonna play with a 6s and a plus to see which size I like better.

I have just realized the things I like about Android that I kept using to justify buying Android phones aren't things I really need anymore. I'm excited to see if I'll like using an iPhone better.

Sami+

Sometimes I miss my old jailbroken 5s setup but I dunno if it's worth the hassle of jailbreaking again, honestly. I'm happy with the vanilla experience on iOS9 for the most part.

I use my own photography now because I'm narcissistic but other than that don't do anything special. Don't care that much anymore lol.

One little LED did? Are you sure? Thier power draw should be in the milliwatts. Really shouldn't budge battery life more than fractions of a percent.

Some times I would leave the phone off the charger over night and it could be at like 83% and when I wake up It'll be down to like 50%.

LordOfChaos

Some times I would leave the phone off the charger over night and it could be at like 83% and when I wake up It'll be down to like 50%.

Yeah, but how do you know that's all from the LED and not networking and other battery drains? LEDs power draw should be miniscule even for phone sized batteries.

Fjordson

So I downloaded the new tweetbot and it's pretty nice, but is there a way to see all of someone's photos / videos? On the default Twitter app everyone's profile has a "media" tab that lets you see that. But tweetbot seems to only have "recent media" that shows like 6 things. Would rather just have "all media" to see everything, but I don't see where I can enable that.

Top Bottom