• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Finally ordered my 6s coming from a 5s. I hope I get the TSMC one. I'll probably return it and order a new one if I get the samsung.

I'll get it by the end of next week. I wasn't this excited for a new Iphone since the 4 came out a long ass time ago. Hope it delivers!

ecurbj

Lirum Device Info Lite - System Monitor by Rogerio Hirooka
https://appsto.re/us/-AarJ.i

Download that app. On the home screen of the app, it would say Model: n(66 or 71) map if it's a TSMC, N(66 or 71) ap (no "m") if it's Samsung.

Interesting because in the video Marques says he has a Samsung with the iPhone 6s+ he is using. But you can see clearly he has a N66mAP which is TSMC in the shot with the Lirum app.

I also have N66mAP TSMC. Pretty cool.

VoxPop

Sometimes I miss my old jailbroken 5s setup but I dunno if it's worth the hassle of jailbreaking again, honestly. I'm happy with the vanilla experience on iOS9 for the most part.

I use my own photography now because I'm narcissistic but other than that don't do anything special. Don't care that much anymore lol.

Yeah, I just jailbroke 2 days ago so didn't really have the time to customize my phone yet. Waiting for tweaks to be released with iOS9 compatibility to go into full on customization mode. Just running a basic set up right now.

dLL5q8X.jpg

Hey guys, question. So I think I decided I'd rather keep my iPhone 6s and instead of returning it, sell my iPhone 6 to try and recoup some of the funds. 3D touch is too useful to go without now heh.

I've never actually sold any of my previous iPhones before, I usually just hand them down to my family members. How much should I try and sell my old iPhone for? Where can I get the most bang for my buck?

My iPhone 6 is a 128GB Unlocked Gold. Phone still in pretty much perfect condition. Is it reasonable to try and get $500 for it? OR should I try for less?

MRSA

Banned
Hey guys, question. So I think I decided I'd rather keep my iPhone 6s and instead of returning it, sell my iPhone 6 to try and recoup some of the funds. 3D touch is too useful to go without now heh.

I've never actually sold any of my previous iPhones before, I usually just hand them down to my family members. How much should I try and sell my old iPhone for? Where can I get the most bang for my buck?

My iPhone 6 is a 128GB Unlocked Gold. Phone still in pretty much perfect condition. Is it reasonable to try and get $500 for it? OR should I try for less?

I got $450 for my unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 in fair condition, I sold it the same day the 6S launched.

I got $450 for my unlocked 64GB iPhone 6 in fair condition, I sold it the same day the 6S launched.
For additional reference, Apple gave me $375 credit for my Verizon iPhone 6+. I know I didn't get fair market value for it, but the difference was worth not having to deal with the hassle of selling it.

Anyone can recommend a good screen protector (front and back)? I've been reading reviews and apparently, some crack at the sides since the iphone has curved edges. I'll buy a spigen case to go along with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nobody mentioned I could send and receive text messages from my iPad if it was connected uo to the iPhone. This is great. I'd really like to be able to do it from my PC like pushbullet used to allow with android..

LordOfChaos

Anyone can recommend a good screen protector (front and back)? I've been reading reviews and apparently, some crack at the sides since the iphone has curved edges. I'll buy a spigen case to go along with it.

At this point definitely go tempered glass. Much better protection, feel, and clarity than goopy bendy ones (they'll shatter on a hard impact - but that's good, it just diverted all that energy from hitting your screen glass). As for brand, not particularly fussed, just look for a good name brand that meets the 6/6S curve nicely rather than leaving a harsh edge.

Number45

Nobody mentioned I could send and receive text messages from my iPad if it was connected uo to the iPhone. This is great. I'd really like to be able to do it from my PC like pushbullet used to allow with android..
You can do this with the other type of PC.

At this point definitely go tempered glass. Much better protection, feel, and clarity than goopy bendy ones (they'll shatter on a hard impact - but that's good, it just diverted all that energy from hitting your screen glass). As for brand, not particularly fussed, just look for a good name brand that meets the 6/6S curve nicely rather than leaving a harsh edge.

I see, thanks for the advice. I´ll be looking into it!

mstevens

So I'm still a part of my dads family plan through AT&T... Can I go to apple, do the yearly upgrade without any hassle? Do they just switch the sim over and call it a day or will he have to come along?

emag

Swappa's a pretty solid place to sell/buy used phones.

https://swappa.com/prices/apple-iphone-6-unlocked/us

Looks like $500 is a reasonable price at the moment for the 128GB Unlocked 6.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much battery drain is there if you allow apps to have location on even when not in use? The Google app really wants me to enable that for 'leave now for meeting x' reminders

dark_chris

Sometimes I miss my old jailbroken 5s setup but I dunno if it's worth the hassle of jailbreaking again, honestly. I'm happy with the vanilla experience on iOS9 for the most part.

I use my own photography now because I'm narcissistic but other than that don't do anything special. Don't care that much anymore lol.

I know the tweaks aren't iOS 9 compatible yet, but what tweaks did you use to get this?

I have a Spigen tough armour case on my normal 6 and can tell you that it cracks at the sides.

Yeah, I just jailbroke 2 days ago so didn't really have the time to customize my phone yet. Waiting for tweaks to be released with iOS9 compatibility to go into full on customization mode. Just running a basic set up right now.
Any chance you can list the tweaks you have installed? Thinking about jailbreaking my 6S and customizing it. Haven't done so since my iPhone 4 so I forgot the names of most of the popular tweaks.

One of my favorite features. barely use the phone at home. It all goes through the iPad. Of course, now I'm stabbing the iPad screen and nothing happens

sold my unlocked 32gb 5 for 200$ on Craigslist

Amazon and other trade in places wanted to give me sub 150

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why am I still thinking about trading up to the plus version...

Grass is always greener. Are you unhappy about anything in your current phone, or just imagining the bigger will be better? I'm thinking to go the other direction. Although each day that passes the plus feels a little smaller in my hand, it is still slippery and tricky to hold (and normal size cases make it too big). Ultimately I want a device that complements my day to day usage, not something I have to accommodate and work around.

Shun

Verizon gave me 300 bucks for a 16GB 5S through their trade in promo, no cable no charger, just the phone in working condition.

I sold 64GB Gold 6 in mint condition on Swappa for 500 each.

If your phone is in good condition, don't lowball yourself unless you want to sell it really quick and don't mind a small 50 dollar.

Know that there are paypal fee with swappa.

VoxPop

Any chance you can list the tweaks you have installed? Thinking about jailbreaking my 6S and customizing it. Haven't done so since my iPhone 4 so I forgot the names of most of the popular tweaks.

Sure. I'm still getting used to it too since I'm just getting back into it as well.

Anemone - the new better version of Winterboard and much easier to use with more options.

iFile - File manager for your phone

Bloard - dark theme for your iOS keyboard

BytaFont 2 - change the system font or anything else

CClean - cleaner control center

LockGlyph - customizable ApplePay animation for unlocking your phone

PriorityHub - Organized Lockscreen notifications

SpotlightBeGone - self explanatory

Veexillum - the theme I'm using

Zeppelin - customizable carrier logos

RevealMenu - 3D touch stuff on your non 6S

ton of stuff on reddit /r/jailbreak

gonna be tweaking tonight so I'll post the finished product and whatever else later if you want

Enco

Why am I still thinking about trading up to the plus version...
It's awesome.

One handed use is very annoying and this makes it awkward in certain situations. However, the pros outweigh this. The big screen, battery, and camera are all amazing. Hardly used my iPad since.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Anyone have any anecdotal experiences with restocking times on the 6s+?

Been checking for about a week now at my nearest location and of course, they restocked while I was out of town.

Any guesses when I should expect another wave of phones to come in?

This legit angers me that to even have your phone like this, it requires a jailbreak. I love the way this looks and I can't just download a skin to just have it like this...ugh.

How long did it take to jailbreak? Was it easy? And what do you find to be the benefits to doing this outside of cosmetic changes?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's awesome.

One handed use is very annoying and this makes it awkward in certain situations. However, the pros outweigh this. The big screen, battery, and camera are all amazing. Hardly used my iPad since.

My iPad is only used at home. I can't imagine using a phone instead. The comments about the large screen on the plus work for the iPad too.

And it may sound odd, but even if the iPhone was big enough as an 'only' web browser at home, the sluggish scrolling would put me off - Neogaf can be a real pain to flick down pages on iPhone compared to ipad

nm3th

And it may sound odd, but even if the iPhone was big enough as an 'only' web browser at home, the sluggish scrolling would put me off - Neogaf can be a real pain to flick down pages on iPhone compared to ipad

The slow scrolling speed is my only real gripe so far. Has it always been like this? My last iPhone prior was a 3GS so I haven't kept up.

VoxPop

This legit angers me that to even have your phone like this, it requires a jailbreak. I love the way this looks and I can't just download a skin to just have it like this...ugh.

How long did it take to jailbreak? Was it easy? And what do you find to be the benefits to doing this outside of cosmetic changes?

It's as easy as it can be right now. You literally just download a program, plug in your phone and press the start button. Takes about 5 minutes or less. The tool is Windows only right now but a Mac tool is on the way. You can revert it to factory non jailbroken form via iTunes at any time.

It's the little things really. Whether its setting Google Maps as your default maps app or installing 3D Touch on a non 6S device. A lot of the stuff in iOS right now like widgets, control center, pull to refresh and even the app store were all available via jailbreak forever now since like iOS5. There's a ton of tweaks out there and rejected apps like GrooveShark, Popcorn Time or Flux (I don't use them), things to speed up animations, improvements to existing apps (Instagram/Snapchat). There's a lot of tacky and unnecessary stuff out there but the best part is just picking and choosing whatever you want. I personally like to keep it minimal in the tweaks department unless its something I really want.

Draper

It's awesome.

Damn youuuus

I'm thinking about it too lol.

But for how long after the initial purchase does Apple allow this?

Almost positive we're outside the return window- it's 14 days I believe

So I'm still a part of my dads family plan through AT&T... Can I go to apple, do the yearly upgrade without any hassle? Do they just switch the sim over and call it a day or will he have to come along?

You just need to be an authorized user on the account. You'll also need the last 4 digits of the account holder's SSN and the password on the account. After that, as long as you pass the credit check, you're golden.

Red

It's as easy as it can be right now. You literally just download a program, plug in your phone and press the start button. Takes about 5 minutes or less. The tool is Windows only right now but a Mac tool is on the way. You can revert it to factory non jailbroken form via iTunes at any time.

It's the little things really. Whether its setting Google Maps as your default maps app or installing 3D Touch on a non 6S device. A lot of the stuff in iOS right now like widgets, control center, pull to refresh and even the app store were all available via jailbreak forever now since like iOS5. There's a ton of tweaks out there and rejected apps like GrooveShark, Popcorn Time or Flux (I don't use them), things to speed up animations, improvements to existing apps (Instagram/Snapchat). There's a lot of tacky and unnecessary stuff out there but the best part is just picking and choosing whatever you want. I personally like to keep it minimal in the tweaks department unless its something I really want.
F.lux and Nitrous are the only things I miss about my old jailbreak. And GAF is the only place where the slow scrolling on iOS really bugs me. The last few updates have added enough useful features that it seems less and less necessary to jailbreak.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn youuuus

Almost positive we're outside the return window- it's 14 days I believe

If you bought online, you can inform them within 14 days, then have a further 14 to actually get it to them. If you bought retail, you could try pleading ignorance - if you get someone in a good mood they may let you exchange. Maybe say something like you really wanted the larger phone but you are having trouble finding stock, and couldn't be without an iPhone while waiting.

Gaaraz

Agreed about the scrolling, using GAF on my phone is a nightmare now :( Also agreed about the lack of proper notification LED, shame as that was a super useful way to check for new messages.

Enco

My iPad is only used at home. I can't imagine using a phone instead. The comments about the large screen on the plus work for the iPad too.

The Air is ridiculously slow compared to the plus.

I still use my iPad to read but browsing on the phone is much easier.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
During the night my 6S+ decided to turn off and wouldn't come back on without a DFU reset. Battery was at 67%. Let's hope that's a one-off!

Ninja Dom

During the night my 6S+ decided to turn off and wouldn't come back on without a DFU reset. Battery was at 67%. Let's hope that's a one-off!

Was it hot also?

Nope, just off.

Macrumors forum about this subject.

Macrumors forum member said:
Summary for TL;DR. This has been reported many times, it's been mostly fixed in 9.1PB4 and 5 and is 99.99% (nothing can be certain) not a hardware issue. There appear to be a few cases still happening on PB5 that may be from other weird combination of steps or apps.

Returning your phone or reloading will usually do nothing

What I noticed when it happened to me is that the iPhone could still be pinged by my Apple Watch. That was the only thing that still worked.

Number45

Wish there was a way to turn off "Hey Siri when not plugged in but keep it on for when it is plugged in. Battery life isn't stellar.
Yeah, I'd like some options for plugged vs unplugged. I'd like to actually disable screen lock when plugged in so that I can see what's going on with Apple Music as I drive.

Ninja Dom

Wish there was a way to turn off "Hey Siri when not plugged in but keep it on for when it is plugged in. Battery life isn't stellar.

At the September show Apple said that the new M9 coprocessor allows the "Hey Siri" function to be always on because it hardly impacts on battery with this new coprocessor.

For me I'm definitely getting around the same battery life on the whole that I was getting on the iPhone 6.

Gaaraz

It may disable some other features you want, but I think the battery saving move only applies when the phone isn't plugged in? That disables the Hey Siri too.

Number45

It may disable some other features you want, but I think the battery saving move only applies when the phone isn't plugged in? That disables the Hey Siri too.
It gets automatically turned off once you're at an acceptable charge level (about 80% I think) and as far as I can tell you can't stop that from happening.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just bought a space grey 6s to run alongside my 6s plus for a while so in abetted decide which to keep.
- two handed, sitting at home the plus is nice to hold and comfortable to read - but then I have my iPad Air which is narly always preferable. Also nice in the car to have a larger display. One handed it is horrible. Without a case it is maybe small enough to use but then very slippery. With a case it just feels too big. I'm experimenting with super thin (<0.5mm) cases but the Spigen I tried was as slippery as the naked phone.
- in the Apple Store the 6s at first felt like I was tapping things out on a tiny old iPod touch, it is so much lighter and smaller. But after a while you get used to it. Especially one handed it just sits I your hand nicely. And because it's smaller I can put a case on and it'll still feel small.

have one week before my 6s plus window expires to decide (or I might sell it on at cost price as they are still scarce in the uk)

jts

...hate me...
My 6s+ is almost here. I can already taste it. Tastes like Samsung (I’m trying to cope okay)

Meanwhile iTunes insists it cannot backup my iPhone 5, no matter how much I update it, how much space I free up, how many times I restart both, delete old backups, do all kinds of stuff. Highly annoying. It...just...w... no I can’t do it.

Top Bottom