• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Vyer

My 6s+ is almost here. I can already taste it. Tastes like Samsung (I’m trying to cope okay)

Meanwhile iTunes insists it cannot backup my iPhone 5, no matter how much I update it, how much space I free up, how many times I restart both, delete old backups, do all kinds of stuff. Highly annoying. It...just...w... no I can’t do it.

how big is the backup? you could use icloud if it's under 5gb

jts

...hate me...
how big is the backup? you could use icloud if it's under 5gb
I have the iCloud backup enabled and up to date, it’s just that it’s a lot of stuff coming from a 64GB iPhone 5 and it will take its sweet time to restore all the apps, content and settings over wifi :(

Red

I'm getting the hang of force touch features. Swiping to task manager was giving me trouble before, but I find it is much easier if the swipe begins off of the screen and you continue onto it. Before I was trying to touch at the screen edge and it was really finicky.

Still don't have that keyboard touchpad down though :s

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm getting the hang of force touch features. Swiping to task manager was giving me trouble before, but I find it is much easier if the swipe begins off of the screen and you continue onto it. Before I was trying to touch at the screen edge and it was really finicky.

Still don't have that keyboard touchpad down though :s

I'd prefer if you could force touch and it'd stay in that mode until you tapped the home button or something. The trackpad is cute but if your finger is in the wrong place when you initiate it, you're stuffed.

Gaaraz

Swiping to task manager
Didn't even know you could do this before, awesome! Super useful, though with some of these gestures I do worry I'm pressing the screen too hard, though I'm sure that isn't an issue. Also I think once I have a silicone case (should be arriving today) this gesture will be hard to pull off :(

boxter432

You guys are right. I'm keeping it. What a phone 🙏

yep, just enjoy it. I have a samsung battery and I think only 1 day did I plug it back in after a full charge in the morning, usually its the night of the 2nd day or later. I am not a heavy user but still text alot, check emails, facebook, fantasy football apps/espn app, audiobook and a couple non-graphic intensive games.

I am picking my phone up today... silly question, but how can you tell what battery/ chip you have?? I dont really care either way, but I heard that one is supposedly better. What is the better of the 2? Thanks!

Red

Didn't even know you could do this before, awesome! Super useful, though with some of these gestures I do worry I'm pressing the screen too hard, though I'm sure that isn't an issue. Also I think once I have a silicone case (should be arriving today) this gesture will be hard to pull off :(
I think swiping to acces task manager clears the hurdle of needing the home button once the phone is unlocked. It is more comfortable to do than double tap, especially on the plus, and allows you to hold the phone from the middle, which is more balanced. If Apple can integrate the Touch ID module into the screen, or move it to the back of the device, I can see 3D Touch being just the thing they need to toss the home button and reduce the size of their bezels.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I am picking my phone up today... silly question, but how can you tell what battery/ chip you have?? I dont really care either way, but I heard that one is supposedly better. What is the better of the 2? Thanks!

TSMC is the better chip.

You download an app from the app store to find out.

Loving the 6S so far. I think my only gripe would be the noisier main button (not sure the official name, the one on the face of the phone). It's makes a much more noticeable click then my 5S, and I already thought the 5S had a noisy button.

Other than that loving it! The glass, not sure if it's just because it's new feels fantastic.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Loving the 6S so far. I think my only gripe would be the noisier main button (not sure the official name, the one on the face of the phone). It's makes a much more noticeable click then my 5S, and I already thought the 5S had a noisy button.

Other than that loving it! The glass, not sure if it's just because it's new feels fantastic.
Uh it's called a "home" button.

I think swiping to acces task manager clears the hurdle of needing the home button once the phone is unlocked. It is more comfortable to do than double tap, especially on the plus, and allows you to hold the phone from the middle, which is more balanced. If Apple can integrate the Touch ID module into the screen, or move it to the back of the device, I can see 3D Touch being just the thing they need to toss the home button and reduce the size of their bezels.
What is the gesture/input? I'm not following exactly.

emag

What is the gesture/input? I'm not following exactly.

Hard press on the left edge of the screen and swipe inwards (to the right). Depending on the length of your follow-through swipe, you'll switch to either the previous app or the task manager.

I really don't care for this shortcut, though. I'd rather just have the control center integrated with the notification shade and have the swipe-up motion trigger the task manager.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there no way to customise notification sounds for third party apps? Logically you'd expect the settings/notifications list to let you do it, but most apps don't have anything. Would love to customise the tones for my inbox app (and the custom vibrations)

Fjordson

Man I want to like tweetbot, but it feels weirdly limited in some ways.

Like is there a way to show all tweets when I go to someone's page? Right now it only shows some recent tweets. I have to tap a onto a second "tweets" page to see everything.

Gaaraz

Yeah that's a really good point - swiping from the left feels a lot more natural than pressing the home button. It'd be great if they could remove it for good somehow. (or do as some Android devices do and just have touchID on the back)

Gaaraz

By the way, my iCloud only seems to be sycing my photos to my PC? I know it's called PhotoStream but... surely it does videos also? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to manually send the videos to my PC or something?

jts

...hate me...
By the way, my iCloud only seems to be sycing my photos to my PC? I know it's called PhotoStream but... surely it does videos also? Please don't tell me I'm going to have to manually send the videos to my PC or something?
I don't think it should be PhotoStream by now. Make sure you have the latest iCloud app installed on your PC. Also, on iCloud.com there's a web version of Photos as well, I think it should have videos. Not sure (and can't check right now).

Garou

Photostream is photos only, iCloud Photo Library also covers videos.

Vyer

I have the iCloud backup enabled and up to date, it’s just that it’s a lot of stuff coming from a 64GB iPhone 5 and it will take its sweet time to restore all the apps, content and settings over wifi :(

Ah, I see. Still I'm an advocate of anything that minimizes iTunes usage in general. :)

Really helps the whole iPhone owning experience

bedlamite

Speaking of third-party keyboards, are they all similarly janky when they pop up? I own Next and Swiftkey, and while they are chock-full of features and great to use, both animate in fits and starts as they come up from the bottom of the screen. Really puts me off, as a result I've gone back to the default keyboard.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Anyone have any recommendations on cases for the plus?

So far the thing I miss most from my Android is my swype keyboard. I saw it in the App Store but it has crappy reviews so I'm nervous about trying it.

Chromax

I just picked up a Rose Gold 6s+ cause they didn't have any regular gold and the salesperson kept going on about how it's really popular for guys atm. Is it true? :(

bionic77

So far the thing I miss most from my Android is my swype keyboard. I saw it in the App Store but it has crappy reviews so I'm nervous about trying it.
I got the Apple leather case.

Scratches easily but it looks and feels amazing.

If there was something similar but cheaper I would recommend that. Only minimal protection though so don't be dropping it off a cliff.

Red

I'll be selling my gold framexframe pretty soon if you want one at a discount.

VoxPop

Anyone have any good dock recommendations that would fit with the Apple leather case on it? Even better with an audio port.

edit: also I hate how all the photos are categorized now. Is there a way to go back to the old format and just have an entire grid of photos?

One of my complaints about iOS Photos for sure too.

There should be All Photos for everything and a filter to weed out the camera shots, downloaded pictures, GIFs, videos, etc.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

Apple leather case or no case at all is the only way to do it.

Namikaze

Apple leather case or no case at all is the only way to do it.

The silicone case is cheaper and still great quality. The non-black leather cases get really dirty really quickly (the one I had on my 6 got dirty and ugly after about 2 weeks).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone have any good dock recommendations that would fit with the Apple leather case on it? Even better with an audio port.

edit: also I hate how all the photos are categorized now. Is there a way to go back to the old format and just have an entire grid of photos?

most docks should be fine with that case as it has an open bottom. Apple lightning sick has a combo headphone/line out socket on the back

What email client are people using? I'm using inbox from gmail to get push email, but although I can select which 'bundles' I get notifications for which is good (don't bother for promo stuff), the badge icon seems to only show unread mails that aren't in any category, so it almost never reflects the actual unread mails. Seems a silly oversight but looking on the web it appears to be a conscious choice by Google

Rootbeer

Banned
having a weird problem with my 6S+

I can't figure out what triggers it but sometimes when i plug in my headphones and listen to something for a while... after the audio stops (like at the end of a podcast playlist) my iphone thinks there are no headphones plugged into the jack and starts playing sounds from the speaker. unplugging/replugging the jack, even multiple times, does not fix it. closing all apps doesn't fix it. only thing that has worked is rebooting the phone.

I don't think the jack is dirty (i cleaned it to be sure though), i feel like it might be an OS bug or something because it always happens when i fall asleep listing to podcasts so in a weird way i can reproduce it, but it's odd...

just curious if anyone has encountered anything at all similar to this

Gaaraz

I don't think it should be PhotoStream by now. Make sure you have the latest iCloud app installed on your PC. Also, on iCloud.com there's a web version of Photos as well, I think it should have videos. Not sure (and can't check right now).
Photostream is photos only, iCloud Photo Library also covers videos.
Thanks guys, I definitely have the latest iCloud app on my PC (only downloaded it last night) but can't see any videos... how do I access the iCloud Photo Library please? :)

I just moved over from Android to IOS for the first time. Swype is so damn bad on IOS, just stay away. The keyboard keeps guessing shorter words than what I am trying to type, as if I'm lifting my finger while swiping.

Garou

Thanks guys, I definitely have the latest iCloud app on my PC (only downloaded it last night) but can't see any videos... how do I access the iCloud Photo Library please? :)

You have to activate it on you iPhone in Settings -> Photos. Then all photos/videos on your phone will permanently be saved to the cloud and start taking up your iCloud-storage. So if you have more than 5GB of photos you need to upgrade your iCloud storage-plan.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/photos/

Top Bottom