• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Anybody have any idea why my iphone 6s plus data is going crazy?
I picked it up last night and by this morning I have used like 7 gigs of data and I have not even used the phone.

any ideas? they are telling me at Verizon that my phone is defective and that I need to turn it in and be put on a wait list for a new phone when they restock them (over a month)....

emag

What email client are people using? I'm using inbox from gmail to get push email, but although I can select which 'bundles' I get notifications for which is good (don't bother for promo stuff), the badge icon seems to only show unread mails that aren't in any category, so it almost never reflects the actual unread mails. Seems a silly oversight but looking on the web it appears to be a conscious choice by Google

Outlook works great.

Anybody have any idea why my iphone 6s plus data is going crazy?
I picked it up last night and by this morning I have used like 7 gigs of data and I have not even used the phone.

any ideas? they are telling me at Verizon that my phone is defective and that I need to turn it in and be put on a wait list for a new phone when they restock them (over a month)....
Check that WiFi assist is turned off. Also Background App Refresh.

Your shit was probably syncing overnight and you have wifi assist on.

I can't get behind Outlook for a variety of reasons. The stock app is just so much faster.

If Gmail could be pushed to the Mail.app, I would never have tried to find a third party one. Outlook will notify me as soon as an email arrives, and I can delete unimportant emails directly via the notification on my phone or Apple Watch. I wish the stock app worked for me the way I want it to though.

Update:

So after speaking with the lady at Verizon, my plan has been changed to a larger data plan that happens to be a bit cheaper then what I currently have for less data.

I used 7 gigs of data in just over a hour. She thinks my phone is defective and asked me to go back to the store I got it at yesterday and return it. They will then order me a new one and it will take about a month to get it as it is on backorder. That sucks!!!!

I did cut off my wifi assist and my app background refreshing... so should I see if that plays a role in my crazy data usage or should I just turn the phone in? I really hate the idea of having to wait another month....

so just the back story for those that don't know:
1) picked up iphone 6s plus yesterday afternoont
2) opted to go home and get stuff off of icloud instead of waiting for everything to transfer in the store.
3) did that and finished setting the phone up at home on my wifi with no issues
4) came to work today and plugged my phone in to charge it
5) over the course of about 1 to 1 1/2 hours my phone used close to 7 gigs of data
6) this was without being used at all
7) decided to go ahead and set up my work wifi at that point as it did not set up on its on and requires a password
8) talked to Verizon and they tell me they think my phone is defective
9) with the advice from a poster in this forum, I cut off wifi assist and back ground refresh.

thoughts or ideas on what I should do?

Number45

If Gmail could be pushed to the Mail.app, I would never have tried to find a third party one. Outlook will notify me as soon as an email arrives, and I can delete unimportant emails directly via the notification on my phone or Apple Watch. I wish the stock app worked for me the way I want it to though.
This is on Google, right? They disabled the ActiveSync functionality a couple of years back that basically fucked iOS users from what I can recall and I guess Apple can't be bothered to work out a way around the problem for them.

This is on Google, right? They disabled the ActiveSync functionality a couple of years back that basically fucked iOS users from what I can recall and I guess Apple can't be bothered to work out a way around the problem for them.

Yeah. They disabled it around either the time the 4s or 5 was launching, I don't remember exactly. I think it was a move by them to try and push Gmail users on iOS towards the actually Gmail app. It is literally the only thing that is stopping me from using the stock mail app. I know I could work around it myself by forwarding my mail to something like an iCloud mail address, but I don't really like that as a workaround.

I don't mind the stock gmail app, personally. I only use the stock mail app for exchange mail.

I used it for 2+ years and didn't have any problem with it and then my notifications started getting all screwy. About half the time they wouldn't show up and the badge wouldn't either so I didn't know I had any new email.

jts

...hate me...
I'm amazed with the 6s+... if still a bit afraid to handle it. No case yet.

My iCloud restore is being screwy though, and my music library refuses to load. I'm wishing for iOS 9.1 to come fast in hopes of fixing it.

I love handsfree Siri. 3D touch is great. Btw I can't scroll a "peek", right?

The speed of this handset is just demonic. Battery life pretty decent for a day when loads of stuff are being processed and many many GBs of apps downloaded, plus Netflix etc. 20%+ approaching the end of the day. My 5 would have been dead by noon. Still have to see how it behaves during a realistic day of usage.

Guys how to disable the create events option that highlight every word related to the calendar like Tomorrow or Weekdays and even dates?

11057532_10156138406040632_2794171009573680039_o.jpg

Anyone on a Plus try any of the one handed keyboard apps? I'm trying Fleksy right now and it's a god send being able to reply back to messages with one hand. Wish Apple would just put in some one-handed keyboard functionality on the stock keyboard so I wouldn't have to look for alternatives.

Red

Anyone on a Plus try any of the one handed keyboard apps? I'm trying Fleksy right now and it's a god send being able to reply back to messages with one hand. Wish Apple would just put in some one-handed keyboard functionality on the stock keyboard so I wouldn't have to look for alternatives.
I used Blink for a couple of days. When I saw it had used 8% battery over 24 hours, I deleted it.

The app interface was also Absolutely Disgusting™

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there no way to reset the battery usage - always 'last 24hrs' or 5 days? Want to check usage on my 6s from fully charged but seems like the app usage will remain from the last charge?

Was 100% at 7.30 this morning, just hit 13% at 18:00. Thats with an hour of safari, half an hour of navigation with google maps with the screen on while also streaming a podcast through bluetooth, and quite a lot of on-screen time trying to sort my watch out (and restarting the phone a lot). My normal usage would probably be lighter than that (and I'd charge in the car if using for navigation - was deliberately testing)

Ninja Dom

Anybody in the UK on 9.1?

How do you use the News app? Nothing is loading for me.

EDIT: All working fine now. Don't know what happened at the start.

Got my 6S+ yesterday. First, it's big. Second, my screen is much better than my 6S's, which hard a dark, blue-ish band on the left hand side. As far as I can tell, my 6S+ is perfect.

Got a Samsung chip, though :(

gimmmick

Got my 6S+ yesterday. First, it's big. Second, my screen is much better than my 6S's, which hard a dark, blue-ish band on the left hand side. As far as I can tell, my 6S+ is perfect.

Got a Samsung chip, though :(

Seriously, you guys are still freaking out about chip gate? How many more sites and publications need to come out that real life usage isn't bothered by a samsung chip?

JaseMath

What email client are people using? I'm using inbox from gmail to get push email, but although I can select which 'bundles' I get notifications for which is good (don't bother for promo stuff), the badge icon seems to only show unread mails that aren't in any category, so it almost never reflects the actual unread mails. Seems a silly oversight but looking on the web it appears to be a conscious choice by Google
I'm using CloudMagic and I LOVE it. Tried Outlook, Gmail, the stock mail, etc. CloudMagic is easily my favorite.

mf.luder

9.1 or jailbreak? Decisions...

I jb'd last night and installed revealmenu. I have mock 3D Touch on my 6 and I love it. Just need a tweak to arrive for peek/pop and I'm set. Definitely going to stay on 9.0.2. The only thing that would persuade me to update is Apple Pay in Canada.

Enco

Turning on reduced transparency fixes most lag problems (spotlight is still garbage as it has been since the feature was released).

So either Apple hasn't optimised the effects for the 6+ or the hardware still isn't powerful enough(??).

Maximus.

I paid for my iPhone 6s+ full MSRP. I'd rather not break, scuff, or otherwise mar a $1100 device.

I understand this reasoning, it is expensive. What I don't get is you are protecting it, but never enjoying the perfection that is underneath. I can understand if it is your intent to sell each year, but to keep it in a case and pull it out after 2-3 years and see that it is perfect really seems pointless. You had to use a cheap piece of plastic to cover the body and potentially the screen, so that in a few years yo can take it off and go damn that case really kept this phone mint, well on to the next phone!

It does suck if the phone is dropped or whatever and gets damaged, but without a case, I do get to enjoy the phone as it was designed, without some cheap piece of plastic making it feel bulky or cheap.

Top Bottom