• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Ninja Dom

My dad said he heard 6's ate up data. How are the 6s's?

Eats up data cos the 6S is so fast and loads things so quick that you see more stuff, baby!

Being serious though, I'm on a 7GB a month plan and I fit into that comfortably. That includes using FaceTime very day over 4G. I don't conserve my internet use.

My 6s+ will be here next week. Is there a way to mirror 4k video on a 4k TV without downloading it to YouTube? If not it seems like a terrible waste.

Bloodrage

Banned
Not sure if it's just me, but since I updated to 9.1, I keep finding apps running in the background. I keep closing them and hard resetting but the same exact apps are there each time. Has there been any mention of this?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not sure if it's just me, but since I updated to 9.1, I keep finding apps running in the background. I keep closing them and hard resetting but the same exact apps are there each time. Has there been any mention of this?
What do you mean? How do you know they are running?

Bloodrage

Banned
What do you mean? How do you know they are running?
Every time I'd turn on the phone they'd appear as background apps even though I closed them before resetting. They would show up again as if they were running/in use. I fixed it though, they're not showing up anymore.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Every time I'd turn on the phone they'd appear as background apps even though I closed them before resetting. They would show up again as if they were running/in use. I fixed it though, they're not showing up anymore.
Ha, that's interesting. What did you do to fix it? Btw, even if they are on that app switcher list, apps are not actually running, or using any system resources, unless they have background operations enabled (which you can disable per-app in settings). Apps with no background operation are fully suspended/disabled after ten seconds or so being minimized.

Bloodrage

Banned
Ha, that's interesting. What did you do to fix it? Btw, even if they are on that app switcher list, apps are not actually running, or using any system resources, unless they have background operations enabled (which you can disable per-app in settings). Apps with no background operation are fully suspended/disabled after ten seconds or so being minimized.
Double pressing home kept showing me the same apps I closed five or six times ago, which never happened before I updated. It was even showing me apps I haven't used in awhile. I think that's really what was odd about it. I haven't used the Kindle app (and some others) in weeks or so but even those were showing up among the list, and they were in the same order each time, like I hadn't already closed them.

I don't really know how I "fixed" it, honestly. I turned it off regularly, no hard reset, for a minute or two, and the apps were gone this time. I realize this all sounds kind of odd, but that's because it was.

But thanks for the info.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I had that bug for a while during two of the betas. But it seems to have gone away. Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

So uh I've just got a 64GB 6S Plus, what's the most painless way to restore a from backup? Plug my 6 Plus into or iTunes or just restore from iCloud?

So uh I've just got a 64GB 6S Plus, what's the most painless way to restore a from backup? Plug my 6 Plus into or iTunes or just restore from iCloud?
Going through iTunes is the most painless way. That's considered a computer backup (provided you backed up your 6+ through iTunes first). It's a complete backup of everything in your phone. iCloud backups, on the other hand, is a backup of some data and a catalog of other things to download that also exist in the cloud. For example, all apps will need to be re-downloaded via iCloud, but they are in the full backup through iTunes.

mrkgoo

Going through iTunes is the most painless way. That's considered a computer backup (provided you backed up your 6+ through iTunes first). It's a complete backup of everything in your phone. iCloud backups, on the other hand, is a backup of some data and a catalog of other things to download that also exist in the cloud. For example, all apps will need to be re-downloaded via iCloud, but they are in the full backup through iTunes.
Apps aren't in the backup. Neither are any items that are synced. Although some of these items are transferable, such as songs and, previously, apps.

I say previously because under ios9, it now appears apps do not transfer and I would assume need to be re downloaded.

I never actually figured out if iCloud data, such as contacts and iCloud Drive data was ever part if an iTunes backup either. Mail is not backed up in iTunes.

To say iTunes backup has everything is not true.

Apps aren't in the backup. Neither are any items that are synced. Although some of these items are transferable, such as songs and, previously, apps.

I say previously because under ios9, it now appears apps do not transfer and I would assume need to be re downloaded.

I never actually figured out if iCloud data, such as contacts and iCloud Drive data was ever part if an iTunes backup either. Mail is not backed up in iTunes.

To say iTunes backup has everything is not true.
Ah, I did not know the backup process was changed. My bad.

LordOfChaos

My dad said he heard 6's ate up data. How are the 6s's?

What?

Users eat up data. Phones provide the ability. The iPhone does not particularly use more data than other phones for doing the same things, apart from Blackberrys compresion. He could turn off wifi assist (I think it's off by default anyways) if he's mostly on wifi and it's still eating data.

SO an update to my 6s plus. My data (I normaly never use a gig a month as I am always on wifi) jumped up to 7 gigs within a hour of getting to work yesterday. After speaking with Verizon they wanted me to take my phone to the store as they think it may be defective. The lady at Verizon mentioned app background refresh, but no wifi assist.

After I got off the phone with here I noticed my data had jumped up to almost 12 gigs... It has held steady at that since last night. I cut off wifi assist, app background refresh (or whatever it is called) and I also cut off celluar data. The phone is holding steady...but I think I may still go and turn the phone in to get another one. I just dont like the alerts/ messages you get everytime you check your mail and it tells you that your celluar data is off.

I just hate having to wait another month to a month and a half for a new 6s plus as I had to wait that long for this one.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
SO an update to my 6s plus. My data (I normaly never use a gig a month as I am always on wifi) jumped up to 7 gigs within a hour of getting to work yesterday. After speaking with Verizon they wanted me to take my phone to the store as they think it may be defective. The lady at Verizon mentioned app background refresh, but no wifi assist.

After I got off the phone with here I noticed my data had jumped up to almost 12 gigs... It has held steady at that since last night. I cut off wifi assist, app background refresh (or whatever it is called) and I also cut off celluar data. The phone is holding steady...but I think I may still go and turn the phone in to get another one. I just dont like the alerts/ messages you get everytime you check your mail and it tells you that your celluar data is off.

I just hate having to wait another month to a month and a half for a new 6s plus as I had to wait that long for this one.

I don't see how that could possibly be a hardware problem.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Apps still transfer from itunes to the phone when you restore a backup (thankfully as restoring a large amount of them by downloading them directly on the phone never-ever works)

What doesn't work anymore is transfering apps from the phone to your computer. So what you have to do now is to manually download any new apps you have on the phone to itunes on the computer. Once you do that, they'll transfer over to the phone after you restore the backup.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
My son's iPhone 5 has an issue with the charge port at the bottom of the phone. For some reason the cable won't go all the way in anymore and it won't charge. There is nothing in there either, so I'm not sure why it won't go in all the way. Are there any alternative methods of charging an iPhone that doesn't use the charge port? I'm hoping there is some sort of charge pad out there i can buy or something lol

My son's iPhone 5 has an issue with the charge port at the bottom of the phone. For some reason the cable won't go all the way in anymore and it won't charge. There is nothing in there either, so I'm not sure why it won't go in all the way. Are there any alternative methods of charging an iPhone that doesn't use the charge port? I'm hoping there is some sort of charge pad out there i can buy or something lol

Check to make sure there's not paper or lint or crap in the port. Use a paperclip to dig anything in there out.

Wreav

Banned

Sounds very much like wifi assist.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah.. I think it has to be... but I am afraid to turn the celluar data thing back on. Of course if I do that and the phone doest eat up data I guess I can assume it was the wifi assist?

But your phone was still using a huge amount of data, whether it was on mobile or WiFi data. So what are you doing with your phone that would download lots of data?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Check to make sure there's not paper or lint or crap in the port. Use a paperclip to dig anything in there out.

Yeah I've definitely done that, it looks like it might be missing the bottom circuit chip or something. Might have fallen out or been ripped out on accident but I can't say for sure.

Gawge

Help! Loving my 6s but keep getting this issue when listening to music:

ataIwab

It only seems to happen when listening on 4g. But no other problems with 4g, it's not as if I don't have a signal. But songs don't play, and this error message comes up unless I have the song downloaded. Playlists skip tracks when on data, just playing ones which are downloaded.

Seems to work fine on wifi and sometimes works fine when on 4g.

I understand this reasoning, it is expensive. What I don't get is you are protecting it, but never enjoying the perfection that is underneath. I can understand if it is your intent to sell each year, but to keep it in a case and pull it out after 2-3 years and see that it is perfect really seems pointless. You had to use a cheap piece of plastic to cover the body and potentially the screen, so that in a few years yo can take it off and go damn that case really kept this phone mint, well on to the next phone!

It does suck if the phone is dropped or whatever and gets damaged, but without a case, I do get to enjoy the phone as it was designed, without some cheap piece of plastic making it feel bulky or cheap.

Some people don't or can't just say "Well, that sucks" if they destroyed their phone by dropping it. This isn't some instance where we're putting a fucking hoodie on the mona lisa. You're talking like we're covering up art. This might be a beautiful piece of technology but it's a functional piece of tech, that gets put in all kinds of situations where it could get damaged. Protecting it isn't stupid or taking away from enjoying the phone how it was supposed to be enjoyed.

Weevilone

Yeah.. I think it has to be... but I am afraid to turn the celluar data thing back on. Of course if I do that and the phone doest eat up data I guess I can assume it was the wifi assist?

Why don't you look in settings to see where the data is going?

Go to:

-Settings
-Cellular

Scroll down to "Use Cellular Data For:"
-Look for an app that's munching your data..

If you don't see an app, scroll down to "System Services"
-Click that and look thru these for a process that's using a lot of data.

It's possible you might need to reset Statistics and start fresh, as you may have a lot of past stuff obscuring results. No use guessing when you can look at raw data.

But your phone was still using a huge amount of data, whether it was on mobile or WiFi data. So what are you doing with your phone that would download lots of data?

So the odd thing is.. .I use very little data. When I got the phone I took it home to do the icloud restore. I did this on my wifi. It updated fine. The next morning I got to work at around 8 AM. My phone was not being used. It was sitting on my desk on the charger. I started get text notifications at 8:07 saying my data was at 75%. Within an hour... I had like 8 texts telling me that I was over and ended up being at like 7 gigs when I was at .43 the night before.

After talking to Verizon.. I went in and cut off those two things.. and a bit later that afternoon I got a few more texts saying that I was at 90% of my new data plan that is now 12 gigs per month.... so now I am sitting at 11 gigs of usage in a day. It seems to be fine now...but I also have celluar data off as well as app background refresh and wifi assist. SO... I think I might take the celluar data thing and put that back on (as I hate the alerts) and as long as it does not jump my data up again I will not turn it back, but if it causes my data to be used again... I am going to turn the phone back in.

As for the apps and/ or what I use the most.... Neo gaf on the internet of course... and facebook as well as email. But again... all of these things were not on (that I am aware of) as the phone was just sitting on my desk charging.

Why don't you look in settings to see where the data is going?

Go to:

-Settings
-Cellular

Scroll down to "Use Cellular Data For:"
-Look for an app that's munching your data..

If you don't see an app, scroll down to "System Services"
-Click that and look thru these for a process that's using a lot of data.

It's possible you might need to reset Statistics and start fresh, as you may have a lot of past stuff obscuring results. No use guessing when you can look at raw data.

Under the "use Cellulare Data For"... the big offenders were 4.6 gigs for safari and 2.4 gigs for facebook.
Under the system services... it said Media services are at 19.6 gigs.....
I just did a refresh the stats.. so I can keep an eye on it as the 19.6 gigs must be from a ton of older stuff on my older iphone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ios is terrible at managing the active audio program.

I like podcasts, so I use overcast. I will be listening to a podcast and then start a game to play for two minutes.

It stops my podcast for no damn reason, even though I have the sound in the game turned off. That is terrible.

And to make matters worse, i stop the game after the two minutes I wanted to spend with it, i press play on my headphones, and it starts Apple Music. That is terrible.

Very frustrating. It makes the play button on my Bluetooth in my car or my headphones effectively useless half the time and without much predictability. Android got it right.

Top Bottom