• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Wasn't demand really well met last year?

I feel like iphones being sold out for a long time is over.

Depends where you live, I guess. In Canada 6/6+ stock was slammed heavily, you could often find *something* in stock but but with 3 colors x 3 storage sizes x 2 phone sizes, it likely wasn't what you wanted. 6-64 and 6+64 were easily the most popular models and at one point the 6-64 and 6-128 were just not possible to get.

16GB models were much easier to find but understandably who would want them...

Squalor

Any word on if you can preorder from AT&T's store online or do you have to do it through Apple? I want to upgrade to 6s+ from 5s but I'm afraid I have to wait like six years argh
You can pre-order on AT&T, but you can't sign up for Apple's plan through AT&T, of course.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
How does it work? When you take a photo, it uploads it to icloud and deletes it from your phone? What are the proper settings for this?

I'm still new to iphones.

The answer isn't a simple yes. They will always take up space on your phone. Just less space. Currently deleting an image from your phone deletes it from iCloud.

Photo optimization under iCloud settings will store the full size image on the cloud and keep an optimized version on the device. This optimized version is only when needed so your device will look full all the time but when you need more space it does its thing in the background.

If you want to remove the photo but keep it backed up in cloud storage a different cloud storage medium like Dropbox or Google photos is needed.

Has T-mo came forth with any information about how JUMP people can use their upgrade to pre-order a 6S? I know that JOD people can call in and e-sign and get a pre-order in, but that page conveniently left out what us regular JUMP customers are able to do.

TylerD

I'll nab a 64gb 6s+ tomorrow morning. 21% AT&T service discount through a former employer and $60 reimbursement\month for phone from current employer. I currently have a Lumia 920 as personal and iPhone 5 for work. Combining that into one phone that costs me 15 bucks a month after reimbursement with my grandfathered unlimited data is going to be so good.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Has T-mo came forth with any information about how JUMP people can use their upgrade to pre-order a 6S? I know that JOD people can call in and e-sign and get a pre-order in, but that page conveniently left out what us regular JUMP customers are able to do.

Jump people can preorder over the phone or in store like anybody else. but every JoD person that orders before 9/14 will jump ahead of you in line.

undecided

If you use the Apple Upgrade Plan you get an unlocked phone.. Does that mean they are going to sell unlocked phones for full price tonight as well? I can't seem to find the option anywhere on their site.

Squalor

If you use the Apple Upgrade Plan you get an unlocked phone.. Does that mean they are going to sell unlocked phones for full price tonight as well?
On Apple's site, although you can't technically pre-order or purchase one right now, you can still go through the pre-order process to an extent.

The option to pay full price is there.

undecided

On Apple's site, although you can't technically pre-order or purchase one right now, you can still go through the pre-order process to an extent.

The option to pay full price is there.

You still have to select a carrier for that -- in the past that has meant you get the carrier locked phone.

kms_md

You still have to select a carrier for that -- in the past that has meant you get the carrier locked phone.

In the past I have chosen T-mo in order to get a carrier unlocked phone when paying full price. You may want to wait for confirmation.

Squalor

In the past I have chosen T-mo in order to get a carrier unlocked phone when paying full price. You may want to wait for confirmation.
There are apparently two "versions" of the 6Ses as there were for the 6es.

One version is the CDMA-radio-less AT&T phone. The other is the CDMA-radio-inclusive Spring, T-Mobile, and Verizon version.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
There are apparently two "versions" of the 6Ses as there were for the 6es.

One version is the CDMA-radio-less AT&T phone. The other is the CDMA-radio-inclusive Spring, T-Mobile, and Verizon version.

EDIT: weird. Usually it's ATT and T-Mobile on gsm and sprint Verizon on CDMA. Sucks that ATT has to be singled out now.

So, for AT&T Next, if I have a 6, am I locked into a 6s? If I jump to a 6s+, I'll have to pay $100, right?
What do you mean? If you've paid for your iPhone 6 via AT&T NEXT and you're trading that in and upgrading then you can get whatever you want. None of the phones have down payments they just have larger monthly payments.

Mortemis

Banned
T-Mobile and ATT need to get the GSM version.
Verizon and Sprint) get the CDMA version.

It has been like this for ages. T-Mobile doesn't use the shit that is CDMA.

You're right, but this year T-Mobile grabbed the one that has both GSM and CDMA which is what squalor is talking about, most likely for that extended coverage plan. T-Mobile uses GSM, but if you get it unlocked you can use it basically everywhere since it has all the bands (excluding band 30 which is for att and ain't even out yet).

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You're right, but this year T-Mobile grabbed the one that has both GSM and CDMA which is what tainted giraffe is talking about, most likely for that extended coverage plan. T-Mobile uses GSM, but if you get it unlocked you can use it basically everywhere since it has all the bands (excluding band 30 which is for att and ain't even out yet).

Yeah. Just read that. Weird how it switched up this round. So close to having a single model of it weren't for ATT.

Has anyone talked to T-Mobile about when preorders will start? I was told they would start at 9 AM EST through the customer support line, has anyone heard the same?

nbcjr

I preordered my 6+ as soon as they went live last September, and I picked it up from my local Apple Store. In fact, for the 64 gb 6+ I wanted, the only option was store pick up, they wouldn't let me ship it.

Also with the Apple Upgrade Program you have to preorder for pick up if you are going that route.

If i preorder to pickup at a local apple store, may I pay in cash, or only credit card?

Also, may I cancel a preorder?

Erebus

When can we expect the first reviews? I know AnandTech takes their sweet time to review iPhones but others should have something by next week, right?

VoxPop

That time of year again... gotta stay up till 3AM to preorder one..

Looking to pick up a 64GB Space Grey 6S Plus and a Rose Gold 16/64GB 6S.

Do they accept PayPal as a form of payment on Apple's site? Buying them both unlocked/T-Mobile version for the full amount.

Ninja Dom

That time of year again... gotta stay up till 3AM to preorder one..

Looking to pick up a 64GB Space Grey 6S Plus and a Rose Gold 16/64GB 6S.

Do they accept PayPal as a form of payment on Apple's site? Buying them both unlocked/T-Mobile version for the full amount.

UK site DOES accept PayPal. US site should too but I can't confirm.

Ninja Dom

Yeah, well that's dumb is what I'm saying. lol

It's a super normal spec that Apple is goofy about.

I'm guessing that they don't want to get into a dick waving contest with the Android boys. They can't be bothered to explain why iPhone's don't need as much RAM as other smartphones.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm guessing that they don't want to get into a dick waving contest with the Android boys. They can't be bothered to explain why iPhone's don't need as much RAM as other smartphones.

I could understand that. To people who don't know better, showing off that you have 2gbs ram is more of a negative when compared to the note 5's 4gb.

nikos

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade via Apple with an AT&T Next plan, then call AT&T later to change my plan to Next + Down Payment option? I know Next + Down Payment is available directly from AT&T but really don't want to preorder through them. I want to do this to cut the monthly device cost in half by paying an initial down payment.

I've been trying to get a clear answer from AT&T via phone and web chat, but reps seem to be confused. I did have one chat representative tell me it's possible and that he made a note on my account to allow it, but I'm not sure I can trust that.

rhino4evr

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade via Apple with an AT&T Next plan, then call AT&T later to change my plan to Next + Down Payment option? I know Next + Down Payment is available directly from AT&T but really don't want to preorder through them. I want to do this to cut the monthly device cost in half by paying an initial down payment.

I've been trying to get a clear answer from AT&T via phone and web chat, but reps seem to be confused. I did have one chat representative tell me it's possible and that he made a note on my account to allow it, but I'm not sure I can trust that.

Why not just pre order from ATT and avoid the headache? Their site will likely be "less busy" then apple at launch anyway.

nikos

When I bought my phone on next, att told me i could call whenever and pay whatever I wanted towards the phone.

That's going towards the total cost of the device though, and doesn't affect the monthly payment.

The down payment option is an initial fee that goes towards the cost of the phone but also reduces your monthly payment. I plan on getting rid of the phone in 12 months, so I don't want to pay anything over the minimum required to trade in.

Why not just pre order from ATT and avoid the headache? Their site will likely be "less busy" then apple at launch anyway.

That's sort of my plan, but I don't trust them to deliver. Their site is terrible as it is. I think I'd rather order through Apple and sort this out later.

TxdoHawk

Alright, I'm now on Jump on Demand with a brand new and shiny iPhone 6+, all to just trade it in next week for a 6S+. This is so dumb, but whatever makes John Legere happy.

kaskade

Any confirmation of the 2gb ram yet?

Probably won't know until there's a teardown, Apple doesn't typically publish that info.

I'm not sure about upgrading. I was thinking of maybe going from my 6 to a 6s+ but I don't feel the need to rush out and preorder right now. I might just wait and check it out in the store. See how that Apple financing plan turns out. Seems like a decent deal, like 6 bucks more than verizon for the 64gb 6s+ which allows for an upgrade next year and Apple care.

Top Bottom