• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

JCreasy

I'm currently on a grandfathered unlimited data 2 year contract with AT&T, not eligible for the NEXT plan until April.

I have a 6. I want a 6s.

My plan - jump in on Apple's new Upgrade plan to lease the 6s for 12 months. Receive an unlocked 6s on the 25th and insert my current AT&T sim into the unlocked 6s.

Will this work? Are unlocked iPhones compatible with any kind of sim card? Will my current AT&T sim card work with an unlocked 6s?

Clefargle

I'm in NL and gonna preorder an IPhone 6 in Germany tomorrow. Düsseldorf is the closest, any tips? Or should I buy online? I only have a bank card no credit card now, how would I buy online?

Preorders are tonight and I still don't know which phone I'm getting:/

I'm gonna have to hit up the apple store on my lunch break and check em out a bit.

Is OIS that big of a deal for photos?

Also with the Apple upgrade plan, if you choose not to upgrade the next year could you pay off your phone completely and own it?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I'm gonna have to hit up the apple store on my lunch break and check em out a bit.

Also with the Apple upgrade plan, if you choose not to upgrade the next year could you pay off your phone completely and own it?

I think image stabilization is pretty important. It isn't just for pictures but also video.

McHuj

So torn. I spent and close to an hour at the Apple store looking like a chump with a 6 and 6+ in my hand trying to gauge if I want to go for the big one tonight.

It actually doesn't feel that big in my hand. But I definitely need shuffle it around in my hand to get to the home button. Fuck the lack OIS on the smaller one.

samn

I'm currently on a grandfathered unlimited data 2 year contract with AT&T, not eligible for the NEXT plan until April.

I have a 6. I want a 6s.

My plan - jump in on Apple's new Upgrade plan to lease the 6s for 12 months. Receive an unlocked 6s on the 25th and insert my current AT&T sim into the unlocked 6s.

Will this work? Are unlocked iPhones compatible with any kind of sim card? Will my current AT&T sim card work with an unlocked 6s?

Yes it will work.

So torn. I spent and close to an hour at the Apple store looking like a chump with a 6 and 6+ in my hand trying to gauge if I want to go for the big one tonight.

It actually doesn't feel that big in my hand. But I definitely need shuffle it around in my hand to get to the home button. Fuck the lack OIS on the smaller one.

This was what I did back in July and decided 6S then but after playing with a friend's 6+ it didn't feel that bad. But having to stretch my hand to hit certain buttons is gonna be annoying.

OIS is really making this hard.

It really isn't as huge of a deal as some people make it out to be the camera is still going to be great on the regular model. Not to mention I'd say OIS is more of a benefit for video capture.

I use the apple leather case. Works well and some Target stores have it on clearance right now for $20ish.

I got the leather case for my 5s and it's complete trash. It became discolored after a week or so and has torn in certain places revealing the plastic frame. Unless they made them better for the 6/6s I'm steering clear :p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, I still am pretty sure I want to downsize and get a 6s. I have a 6+ now...

But I'm having some last second thoughts...I'm going to the apple store after work to compare the 6 and my 6 plus. I'll do browsing, photo viewing, texting, and other dayto-day stuff on it.

90% sure I'll walk away preordering the 6s tonight, but yeah.

So has it been communicated how the apple unlocked monthly lease plan is going to work in terms of preordering? Will we log in and reserve one but then have to go into the store?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I got the leather case for my 5s and it's complete trash. It became discolored after a week or so and has torn in certain places revealing the plastic frame. Unless they made them better for the 6/6s I'm steering clear :p

If you look at the new design it leaves the bottom open. It can no longer tear around the headphone and charging now ports. The reason I like the leather case is the slim profile, texture, and the super small lip in front of the phone.

I have 2 other silicon cases and the larger front lips make things feel like crap in the hand. I prefer to take the risk and have a smaller lip if it means more enjoyment from the device.

This is really a no lose situation on T-Mobile right? Couldn't you get one on jump on demand, immediately sell it, net $300-$400 of profit, and then pay it off at T-Mobile for the $500 or so?

If anybody is looking for a case recommendation Amazon has Spigen cases and a tempered glass screen protector for varying prices under $4 for a case and $1.60 for the screen protector. You just need to make sure it is the one shipped from and sold by Spigen not fulfilled by Amazon.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8099910-spi...products-80-off-ac-amazon-starting-from-2?v=1

Personally I'd recommend the "Tough Armor" case.

I thought there was some speculation that a tempered glass screen protector might interfere with 3D Touch?

kaskade

This is really a no lose situation on T-Mobile right? Couldn't you get one on jump on demand, immediately sell it, net $300-$400 of profit, and then pay it off at T-Mobile for the $500 or so?

I'm not sure how that program works but the tmo phones are locked I believe.

Bowler

Still can't find a way to pre book the apple upgrade program. When you select preorder advance fillout forms and I select Verizon it's stops me at paying the phone outright or going with Verizon on there program. Nothing about the upgrade plan directly from apple... which to me is a great deal because of the warrenty

JCreasy

Still can't find a way to pre book the apple upgrade program. When you select preorder advance fillout forms and I select Verizon it's stops me at paying the phone outright or going with Verizon on there program. Nothing about the upgrade plan directly from apple... which to me is a great deal because of the warrenty

You need to reserve a spot tonight to go to retail store and process the transaction.

You can make a reservation online, starting at 12:01 a.m. PDT on September 12, to buy in store. We’ll help you get set up with the iPhone Upgrade Program.

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Squalor

Obviously, because:
Apple said:
Launching at U.S. Apple Retail Stores. You can make a reservation online, starting at 12:01 a.m. PDT on September 12, to buy in store.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
For the iPhone Upgrade Program it says you can do it as long as the phone is connected to one of the 4 major carriers.

I use a company that uses T-Mobile business accounts, so I pay them, and not T-Mobile, but I use T-Mobile's signals and a T-Mobile branded sim.

Would that still work you think?
I feel like they're going to ask for like a T-Mobile account number and I'll be out of luck.
I figured I could just get in the program, and drop my sim in there.

Redmoon

Will be going for a Space grey 64GB 6S+ myself.
Yes it will work.
Will I need to do anything carrier side about the SIM? I know in the past with old flip phones I traded with my parents I could just swap the card and it worked fine, but does this apply to smartphones?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
For the iPhone Upgrade Program it says you can do it as long as the phone is connected to one of the 4 major carriers.

I use a company that uses T-Mobile business accounts, so I pay them, and not T-Mobile, but I use T-Mobile's signals and a T-Mobile branded sim.

Would that still work you think?
I feel like they're going to ask for like a T-Mobile account number and I'll be out of luck.
I figured I could just get in the program, and drop my sim in there.

You may be out of luck. T-Mobile customers can't order online. They have to do so in store or at the T-Mobile customer service number.

I would contact your company and coordinate with them but you Are likely going to wait until after launch sometime.

Your best bet is to contact your company and try to get details on the two account in case you need it. Going in an Apple Store would be your best bet for the apple program.

Kibbles

is the plus the same size? I know people were talking about the regular being slightly bigger than last years model.

Will I need to do anything carrier side about the SIM? I know in the past with old flip phones I traded with my parents I could just swap the card and it worked fine, but does this apply to smartphones?

With iPhones, it's possible to just swap SIMs if you're on AT&T, T-Mobile, and sometimes Verizon. Sprint is a dick and makes you contact them to activate any new phone you put the SIM into

If the AT&T model is different I'm going to be so mad. I have to activate on AT&T first just to get the phone, then cancel that line and move to T-Mobile. I wonder if I can just tell them "Yo, I'm doing the iPhone Upgrade Plan under AT&T right now, but give me a T-Mobile phone" The difference is going to be in the bands, the AT&T phone has LTE Band 30 but none of the CDMA ones, the T-Mobile phone (based on what others have said in this thread) has all the LTE bands (minus 30) and all the CDMA bands, which makes it more attractive

There are apparently two "versions" of the 6Ses as there were for the 6es.

One version is the CDMA-radio-less AT&T phone. The other is the CDMA-radio-inclusive Spring, T-Mobile, and Verizon version.

You're right, but this year T-Mobile grabbed the one that has both GSM and CDMA which is what squalor is talking about, most likely for that extended coverage plan. T-Mobile uses GSM, but if you get it unlocked you can use it basically everywhere since it has all the bands (excluding band 30 which is for att and ain't even out yet).

Yeah. Just read that. Weird how it switched up this round. So close to having a single model of it weren't for ATT.

Where'd you get this info?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Quick Actions (Home screen force touch on icon) look really cool and I hope it's open to devs to utilize too because I want to see what they can do with it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
With iPhones, it's possible to just swap SIMs if you're on AT&T, T-Mobile, and sometimes Verizon. Sprint is a dick and makes you contact them to activate any new phone you put the SIM into

If the AT&T model is different I'm going to be so mad. I have to activate on AT&T first just to get the phone, then cancel that line and move to T-Mobile. I wonder if I can just tell them "Yo, I'm doing the iPhone Upgrade Plan under AT&T right now, but give me a T-Mobile phone" The difference is going to be in the bands, the AT&T phone has LTE Band 30 but none of the CDMA ones, the T-Mobile phone (based on what others have said in this thread) has all the LTE bands (minus 30) and all the CDMA bands, which makes it more attractive

Where'd you get this info?

Got the info by reading the supported bands and knowing which carriers support which bands. Somebody probably has an article about it somewhere for people not familiar with the frequencies.

boxter432

If anybody is looking for a case recommendation Amazon has Spigen cases and a tempered glass screen protector for varying prices under $4 for a case and $1.60 for the screen protector. You just need to make sure it is the one shipped from and sold by Spigen not fulfilled by Amazon.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8099910-spi...products-80-off-ac-amazon-starting-from-2?v=1

Personally I'd recommend the "Tough Armor" case.

awesome, I was just looking at this case (slim and tough armor) today!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't decide between 6s+ and 6+. Hah. I put it in my suit pocket usually but I do have a bag. Hmmm

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You may be out of luck. T-Mobile customers can't order online. They have to do so in store or at the T-Mobile customer service number.

I would contact your company and coordinate with them but you Are likely going to wait until after launch sometime.

Your best bet is to contact your company and try to get details on the two account in case you need it. Going in an Apple Store would be your best bet for the apple program.

Appreciate it. I did plan to go into the store but won't get my hopes up.
If I have to purchase it for full price later that's fine.

Reckoner

I can't decide between 6s+ and 6+. Hah. I put it in my suit pocket usually but I do have a bag. Hmmm

I guess you mean 6s and 6s+. I personally wouldn't/won't buy the plus as it is right now. Minimal enhancements to the experience, and the form factor and huge bezels don't help. Maybe they'll get it better on the 7.

Top Bottom