• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Gawge

Help! Loving my 6s but keep getting this issue when listening to music:

ataIwab

It only seems to happen when listening on 4g. But no other problems with 4g, it's not as if I don't have a signal. But songs don't play, and this error message comes up unless I have the song downloaded. Playlists skip tracks when on data, just playing ones which are downloaded.

Seems to work fine on wifi and sometimes works fine when on 4g.

Sorry, the image seemed to mess up when posting this:

Any ideas? Google finds others with the same problem, but no obvious fix.

Ninja Dom

Sorry, the image seemed to mess up when posting this:

Any ideas? Google finds others with the same problem, but no obvious fix.

And in Settings > Music, you've turned on Use Mobile Data and High Quality over Mobile Network? I'm presuming you have Use Mobile Data turned on or it wouldn't start over 4G to begin with.

I'm on O2 4G and don't have these problems at all over 4G. Sounds weird. Do a Speedtest on your 4G. I'm wondering what happens if you switch the iPhone to 3G in Settings > Mobile Data (Cellular).

Erebus

Yup you're right.

In an app the screen times out after 1 minute.

On the Home screen it times out after 30 seconds.

I don't think it's a bug. I think it's deliberate.
It wasn't like that prior to iOS 9 but perhaps you're right. I mean if it was a bug they would have fixed by now.

Gawge

And in Settings > Music, you've turned on Use Mobile Data and High Quality over Mobile Network? I'm presuming you have Use Mobile Data turned on or it wouldn't start over 4G to begin with.

I'm on O2 4G and don't have these problems at all over 4G. Sounds weird. Do a Speedtest on your 4G. I'm wondering what happens if you switch the iPhone to 3G in Settings > Mobile Data (Cellular).

Use Mobile Data > On
High Quality over Mobile Network > Off

You think I should turn high quality on?

I'll try the 3G stuff next time I have the problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the actual data though, in that, I can still browse in the internet, message, download podcasts etc... just Music that has the problem.

Ninja Dom

Use Mobile Data > On
High Quality over Mobile Network > Off

You think I should turn high quality on?

I'll try the 3G stuff next time I have the problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the actual data though, in that, I can still browse in the internet, message, download podcasts etc... just Music that has the problem.

Worth a try turning high quality on. Just going through a process of elimination to see what the issue could be.

Gaaraz

I'm sorry, could someone please help me get my videos and photos onto my PC?

According to iCloud I have around 2.7GB of videos and photos which sounds about right.

It says it's putting them into the 'iCloud Photos' folder which is empty, save for three empty folders ('Uploads', 'Shared' and 'My Photo Stream')

I also have a link in Windows explorer to 'iCloud Drive' which is also empty, and 'iCloud Photos' which has a 'PhotoStream' folder and an 'Activity' folder - I can see my photos on the thumbnail of the PhotoStream, but the actual PhotoStream itself is empty again.

:(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I'm going to keep my 6s. The plus has such a great screen, and my 6s is down to 8% battery now when my plus is at 40% with similar screen on time. But the 6s just feels so good in the hand (and pocket).

I think I'm going to keep my 6s. The plus has such a great screen, and my 6s is down to 8% battery now when my plus is at 40% with similar screen on time. But the 6s just feels so good in the hand (and pocket).
I'm paying for 1080p iPhone 7 'normal' size. If it isn't then that's a bit of a joke. I agree though, I love the size of my 6.

Hopefully, just hopefully we'll see battery improvements and the screen upgrade but I'm not holding my breath. I'd take a little extra thickness for better battery life any day of the week.

Matticers

Finally got a 6s Plus. It's my first time having an iPhone since... the original. I have no idea which chip I have, all I know is that the battery life is already infinitely better than what I was getting on my last few android phones. It's the main reason I wanted to make the switch.

Now I have to figure out what all the good apps are to get and figure out all the little shortcuts and tricks. I wanted to do some custom text message tones but apparently that isn't working correctly with 9.1 based on what I've read so far. I guess I'll figure it out. I need to look up some good youtube videos or sites for this stuff.

Servbot24

Banned
I still can't believe they haven't fixed the auto-lock timer bug in 9.1. How hard can it be?

ffs Apple!

Really fucking hard. Any bug you fix is going to have potentially system-wide consequences. One minor bug is bad enough, but with Apple's image they can't afford to make huge fixes all at once that could result in regression.

Vyer

I'm sorry, could someone please help me get my videos and photos onto my PC?

According to iCloud I have around 2.7GB of videos and photos which sounds about right.

It says it's putting them into the 'iCloud Photos' folder which is empty, save for three empty folders ('Uploads', 'Shared' and 'My Photo Stream')

I also have a link in Windows explorer to 'iCloud Drive' which is also empty, and 'iCloud Photos' which has a 'PhotoStream' folder and an 'Activity' folder - I can see my photos on the thumbnail of the PhotoStream, but the actual PhotoStream itself is empty again.

:(

Are you just trying to get them off your device or are they all in the cloud library?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Man I seriously should've gotten the 64gb 6s+ instead of 16gb, also Space Grey instead of Gold. I'm going to try and sell currents 6s+ to get a 64gb Space Grey 6s+ since Apple is finally going to have them in stock come November 4 and hopefully I can get at least 550 for it.

//ARCANUM

Well I've gone through quite an adventure this past month. I had an iPhone 6+, decided I wanted to try out a 6S regular, got one, sold my 6+, the battery in my 6S was defective, got it replaced last week and then today I noticed my Apple Store had 128gb 6S+'s in stock, lol. Returned my 2nd 6s and got the 6s+. Yes I'm a crazy person. (Also my 6+ and 6s were both 64gb, this 128 is overkill but whatever, I'll have plenty of space for when I go to Japan next year and want to take lots of photos and video.)

Edit - also, funnily enough, all 3 6s models I've gotten have been Samsung chips haha. Oh well. No biggie. This 6s+ battery is so much better than the 6s (one of my biggest issues with it)

Man I seriously should've gotten the 64gb 6s+ instead of 16gb, also Space Grey instead of Gold. I'm going to try and sell currents 6s+ to get a 64gb Space Grey 6s+ since Apple is finally going to have them in stock come November 4 and hopefully I can get at least 550 for it.
Yeah, when you initially posted about getting a 16GB 6s+ Inwas befuddled. It's crazy that Apple even offers that, with how much space videos and pictures take *on top of* the OS size.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Is there any way to disable music/podcasts from automatically popping up when headphones are plugged in?

//ARCANUM

Okay, am I crazy or does the 3D touch animation (specifically when 3D touching apps on the home screen) play slower on the 6s+ than on the 6s?

VertPin

I got an iPhone 4S the week or two after it originally released, and used it strictly for around a year or slightly more. It wasn't until either mid 2013 when I got my first Android. I have been using Android ever since. However, as of a week ago, I got an iPhone 5S.
Jesus, iOS is really awesome now. I do love Android, but iOS is pretty awesome. It just works!
Also, the 5S runs smoothly and I absolutely love the size of the device. I won't upgrade to a 7 or 7S unless there is a 4 inch version. I have small hands and anything over 4 inches is too big.
--
Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if the iPhone 7/7S had a 4 inch screen model, 2GB of RAM, and 720p screen (you can't see a difference period, especially on a 4 inch screen) and cram the best battery you can.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I doubt it will. 4.7 will be the smallest. I would like a 5-5.2" option which I think is the sweet spot for size and weight with a nice screen, but we probably won't get that either. I might be able to settle with a 7plus if they reduce the body around the screen.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I got an iPhone 4S the week or two after it originally released, and used it strictly for around a year or slightly more. It wasn't until either mid 2013 when I got my first Android. I have been using Android ever since. However, as of a week ago, I got an iPhone 5S.
Jesus, iOS is really awesome now. I do love Android, but iOS is pretty awesome. It just works!
Also, the 5S runs smoothly and I absolutely love the size of the device. I won't upgrade to a 7 or 7S unless there is a 4 inch version. I have small hands and anything over 4 inches is too big.
--
Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if the iPhone 7/7S had a 4 inch screen model, 2GB of RAM, and 720p screen (you can't see a difference period, especially on a 4 inch screen) and cram the best battery you can.
Good luck with that. This day in age phones get larger and larger every year. Really the regular 6s is small for a phone now a days. The 7 will probably have a 5" screen and the 7+ an 5.7" screen.

Gaaraz

Are you just trying to get them off your device or are they all in the cloud library?
Yeah I'd like to have a way to get them from my phone and onto my PC somehow.

Also, live photos suck - really not seeing the purpose of them at all (especially since you need an iOS9 device to even view them)

hamchan

Upgraded from a 5 to 6s+ today. What a world of difference, quite mind blowing actually how good it is. Especially the huge screen, it's so nice. Will probably keep on waiting a few years between phones since this is a pretty good feeling.

Newline

Good luck with that. This day in age phones get larger and larger every year. Really the regular 6s is small for a phone now a days. The 7 will probably have a 5" screen and the 7+ an 5.7" screen.
Just think of the amazing marketing they can do though. They can call it the iPhone mini or iPhone nano. It'll create a whole new market for a form factor that was the complete norm only three years ago.
I'm paying for 1080p iPhone 7 'normal' size. If it isn't then that's a bit of a joke. I agree though, I love the size of my 6.

Hopefully, just hopefully we'll see battery improvements and the screen upgrade but I'm not holding my breath. I'd take a little extra thickness for better battery life any day of the week.
So am I but I can't curreently skimp on screen resolution and battery life so i've got the 6S+. If the iPhone 7 ups the resolution and fixes the battery i'll really consider downsizing.

Also, live photos suck - really not seeing the purpose of them at all (especially since you need an iOS9 device to even view them)

I have a 7 month old daughter, and Live Photos are super fun when taking pics of her.

Is there an easy way to switch tabs in Safari? I've come from a Nexus 5 and in Chrome you could just pull down from the address bar and it would open tabs. Chrome on iOS doesn't even have this. Swapping tabs is a bit of a pain in Safari.

Ninja Dom

As somebody said earlier in the thread, Live Photos are free. You still get the original photo that you took. You just get extra bits (call it video) before and after.

iOS 9 or Mac to view them is fine. Others will just see your original intended photograph.

I love them, not just Live Photos of my kids but of any other person too. And I have a lovely Live Photo of my daughter on the lock screen. I must press that to see it animate every few hours.

Tip: You must share Live Photos using AirDrop or iMessage for them to stay as a Live Photo. Emailing only sends the single frame photo.

Vyer

If you just want to pull them off you can actually use the cable and a Windows pc will recognize it like a camera (make sure you don't have iTunes set to automatically turn on when an iPhone is plugged in). You can just drag and drop.

I also use OneDrive to automatically save a copy of my camera roll whenever I am on wifi. This would work with any cloud service like Dropbox or google drive too of course.

There is an iCloud pc program too but I've always found that any update to the phone or change in Windows often makes the folder syncing stop and you have to reinstall to kick it back on. Not a big deal (it's a small program) but a bit of a hassle regardless. I rarely use it now because of the other two options.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

you can export them as gif or movie using the 'lively' app, and I'm sure more options will be on the way soon. They may seem stupid now, but photos are about capturing memories. Imagine looking back in a few years seeing not just a photo of your child smiling as they ride their bike without stabilisers for the first time - but seeing the moment in motion and hearing their laugh. It could be fantastic.

And it is very different from video. The point here is that you take it whenever you snap a photo - so it is much more likely to capture unexpected moments in time.

VertPin

I doubt it will. 4.7 will be the smallest. I would like a 5-5.2" option which I think is the sweet spot for size and weight with a nice screen, but we probably won't get that either. I might be able to settle with a 7plus if they reduce the body around the screen.

Just think of the amazing marketing they can do though. They can call it the iPhone mini or iPhone nano. It'll create a whole new market for a form factor that was the complete norm only three years ago.

So am I but I can't curreently skimp on screen resolution and battery life so i've got the 6S+. If the iPhone 7 ups the resolution and fixes the battery i'll really consider downsizing.

Coming from someone who owned a Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Galaxy S6 Edge, and now an iPhone 5S...

the iPhone 5S is the perfect size and I won't upgrade away from it until Apple releases a 4-inch screen sized model. However, I'm sure I will eventually be forced to upgrade in the future anyways :(

Wreav

Banned
Just got my 6S+ in. Clearly the Elago cases that are sold as 6S+ cases are just the original 6+ cases, thing barely fit and will probably end up cracking in a few months.

VertPin

Just got my 6S+ in. Clearly the Elago cases that are sold as 6S+ cases are just the original 6+ cases, thing barely fit and will probably end up cracking in a few months.

Aren't the dimensions and size of the 6S+ and the 6+ the exact same though?

I really like iPhone and listening to Podcasts, Music and Audiobooks on there and its long standby battery life, but what I don't like and miss from Android is the ability

To download Apps over 100MB on Tmobile's network. I just got a iTunes GC, but I can't download Monument Valley. :(

Surely there's a way to get pass this 100MB limit?

//ARCANUM

So I need some help,

So every time I go to write a new email or reply to an email a prompt comes up that says:

APPLE ID VERIFICATION
ENTER THE PASSWORD FOR **********@me.com IN SETTINGS

Options are not now and settings. If i tap settings, enter password, the password takes but then the problem still occurs. If I tap not now, the prompt goes away and I can send an email.

But the prompt is coming up every single time.

And this is the only place it pops up anywhere in the phone.

I've checked and I have no downloads that are stuck, I have deleted my iCloud account from the phone and then signed back into it, and the problem persists.

Anyone got any ideas? It's really annoying to get this prompt every time I need to send/reply to an email.

(I'm on a 6s Plus / iOS 9.1)

//ARCANUM

Okay update to my problem - after trying password resets and a bunch of other things, nothing was working. And I had to re-login on my Mac Pro, and it was failing to do so with "an unknown error" continually occurring. This told me it wasn't phone specific but Apple ID related. I called AppleCare and was informed they are having a systemwide issue where Apple is rejecting all Apple ID certificates. So yeah. Only thing I can do is wait it out. :/

Top Bottom