• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thought this was interesting:

http://www.androidauthority.com/blind-camera-shootout-winner-650299/

Android Authority readers vote that iPhone 6S camera produces the best images overall in blind test.

Best to avoid the comments...
TBH, it's really weird seeing people vote that way. I was kind of underwhelmed by the quality of most of those iphone shots, or rather surprised how tack sharp some of the competing phones are. The one that shows guy's face sitting somewhere (Gallery 6), the iphone shot is seriously bad compared to G4 and Note 5.

Red

TBH, it's really weird seeing people vote that way. I was kind of underwhelmed by the quality of most of those iphone shots, or rather surprised how tack sharp some of the competing phones are. The one that shows guy's face sitting somewhere (Gallery 6), the iphone shot is seriously bad compared to G4 and Note 5.
Samsung phones especially have a horrible tendency to over sharpen photos. They may look more striking on first impression but trying to magnify any sort of detail reveals a mangled mosaic of overly aggressive processing.

I agree portraits of human faces look a little weird on iPhone. I thought the 5S was the high point for capturing flesh detail. For some reason the 6 and 6s often produce blotchy skin tones.

I had a weird bug on my stock camera app a couple of nights ago, in mixed temperature lighting (2800k vs 5000k). The camera app could not get the correct white balance and the entire shot was blue. It balanced itself after ten seconds or so.

iNvid02

Had that same bug where the phone switched off and the touch ID felt like it was overheating, wondered why the alarm never went off in the morning. Updated to the latest iOS today, i hope it doesn't keep occurring.

Pilgrimzero

I'm looking to upgrade but the S is sold out all around me.

Would the 6 Plus hold me over for awhile anyways? Mostly use my phone for texting and calls and some games. Sometimes for pictures but nothing that requires super amazing-ness.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Would the 6 Plus hold me over for awhile anyways? Mostly use my phone for texting and calls and some games. Sometimes for pictures but nothing that requires super amazing-ness.

If that's all you use your phone for... why upgrade at all?

Sami+

The 6S is much more future-proof than the 6. I'd wait.

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.androidauthority.com/blind-camera-shootout-winner-650299/

Android Authority readers vote that iPhone 6S camera produces the best images overall in blind test.

Best to avoid the comments...

it wasn't really blind. people knew which cameras were what since the start of the polling, they had EXIF data in the photos. the comments for the original post discussed it at length.

http://www.androidauthority.com/mophie-launches-2500-battery-case-for-the-note-5-649267/

Rootbeer

Banned
Lirium just got an update. It will now tell you directly if you have TSMC or Samsung. Just tap "Menu" at the bottom then go to "CPU" and look at the very bottom where it says "Manufacturer"

Azole

Neo Member
I got the 64gb rose gold 6s+ phone about two weeks ago, coming from the LG G3. The screen is amazing and it is fast; however, i am not impressed with the battery... Mine does have the samsung chip, so I don't know how much that comes into play...

Does facetime eat a lot of battery in general? I used Hangout video on my LG G3 a lot and it is not as battery hungry as the iphone; however, the quality of facetime is so much better.

I got the 64gb rose gold phone about two weeks ago, coming from the LG G3. The screen is amazing and it is fast; however, i am not impressed with the battery... Mine does have the samsung chip, so I don't know how much that comes into play...

Does facetime eat a lot of battery in general? I used Hangout video on my LG G3 a lot and it is not as battery hungry as the iphone; however, the quality of facetime is so much better.

Wow my battery in my 6S+ is stellar. Best battery I've ever experienced. Check your Settings - Battery to see what your issue is.

Ninja Dom

Lirium just got an update. It will now tell you directly if you have TSMC or Samsung. Just tap "Menu" at the bottom then go to "CPU" and look at the very bottom where it says "Manufacturer"

You know, most of the information in this app seems baked in. It does successfully retrieve the CPU info, but a lot of the other info is manually written in rather than retrieved directly from the iPhone.

One section that doesn't work in Lirium which I really like to see is Uptime. This Is the amount of time that your iPhone has been turned on since you last switched it on/rebooted. There's a simple app called Sys Stats Lite that easily measures this.

My previous Uptime record was around 30 days on my iPhone 5S. But things were getting very buggy and I had to reboot. Currently on my 6S I'm up to 2 days, but that's only because of the reboot after updating to iOS 9.1

EDIT: The creator of Sys Stats Lite has pulled the free app and now only offers a paid version.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
What is a good dock for a 6S+ just to use on my nightstand? Looking for something that is easy to hook up to. I don't care for Apple's dock and even if I were I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it.

Gaaraz

Please can someone help me get my videos from my phone onto my PC? The iCloud app is only syncing photos to my PhotoStream. There's nothing in my iCloud Drive.

Pepiope

Something happened with my battery on my 6s. It was stuck on 85% all day long and refused to decrease/increase even when I put it to charge. Restarted the phone and everything seems back to normal. Not sure if it's a big enough issue where I should take the phone back because the phone functions fine otherwise.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Something happened with my battery on my 6s. It was stuck on 85% all day long and refused to decrease/increase even when I put it to charge. Restarted the phone and everything seems back to normal. Not sure if it's a big enough issue where I should take the phone back because the phone functions fine otherwise.

Maybe you had an infinite battery and you screwed it up by restarting the phone.

Way to go.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if any of you fine folk would be kind enough to help me with a few problems:

1) New iPhone 6s. Trying to get all my stuff from my old iPhone into it. Started the whole initiation process and tried to back up from iTunes on my computer. Computer doesn't recognise the phone and says the iPhone 6 needs the latest iTunes version. How do I get the new version if I haven't completed the initiation process...?

2) I try to back it up from iCloud instead but get stuck on the "Slide to Upgrade" screen. The slider won't budge.

3) Somewhere between these two problems, I signed in with my Apple ID and it asked me if I want all my purchased bits to go on the new phone. I said yes. It now wants me to enter the Apple ID password... for someone else's Apple ID. Someone I've never heard of.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

neshcom

Banned
I'm wondering if any of you fine folk would be kind enough to help me with a few problems:

1) New iPhone 6s. Trying to get all my stuff from my old iPhone into it. Started the whole initiation process and tried to back up from iTunes on my computer. Computer doesn't recognise the phone and says the iPhone 6 needs the latest iTunes version. How do I get the new version if I haven't completed the initiation process...?

2) I try to back it up from iCloud instead but get stuck on the "Slide to Upgrade" screen. The slider won't budge.

3) Somewhere between these two problems, I signed in with my Apple ID and it asked me if I want all my purchased bits to go on the new phone. I said yes. It now wants me to enter the Apple ID password... for someone else's Apple ID. Someone I've never heard of.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
1) Are you sure it doesn't mean to upgrade iTunes on your PC? iTunes doesn't get updated traditionally on iPhone and a new version of iTunes just went out.

2) No idea :(

3) You may have content from your iTunes library that came from someone else's account (say, if you pirated music that was tied to another user's' account of logged into someone's iTunes to download a paid app of theirs). If you ignore/cancel that prompt with another email auto-populated, you should be fine, you just won't be able to access that content.

NIGHT-

Anyone having issues downloading the update? It keeps giving me errors while searching for it while connected on wifi. It finds it immediately on LTE, but obviously I need to be on wifi to download it

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
1) Are you sure it doesn't mean to upgrade iTunes on your PC? iTunes doesn't get updated traditionally on iPhone and a new version of iTunes just went out.

I could've misread that. I'll have a ganders.

3) You may have content from your iTunes library that came from someone else's account (say, if you pirated music that was tied to another user's' account of logged into someone's iTunes to download a paid app of theirs). If you ignore/cancel that prompt with another email auto-populated, you should be fine, you just won't be able to access that content.

It's a contract phone, but I'd be surprised. Can't be anything I use regularly, I don't pirate (knowingly?).

Thanks for your help, chief.

Akira

The photo button on my iMessages is grated out and I'm not able to paste photos. Anyone know why and how to fix this? I'm wondering if this is a 9.1 issue.

Blackhead

Redarse
I am looking for a thin black back covering for an iPhone 6s/+. I do not mean a case. I'm looking for a film/decal/sticker that just covers the grey color/antenna/apple logo and shows only black. Any suggestions?

Anyone really into movie making on the iPhone using iMovie, etc?

I'm planning on making a wedding pre-proposal video and could use some links or tutorial links.

Have friends helping with the script and doing some on screen appearances. Should be fun. I have until Christmas so we are trying to do this right.

pbsapeer

Banned
Ever since the update my Mrs' phone keeps showing gprs/e even when she's connected to the wifi. Her internet loads like it's on our wifi and she is connected it just displays the current mobile signal for some reason? Doesn't do it on mine. Both with 6s, 9.1 and wifi assist off

jts

...hate me...
A few days in, can't say I wasn't a bit disappointed about my 6s+ battery life (Samsung).

No mythical 2 day battery, or even a day and a half, in fact it was struggling to hold on to a full long day (it seemed), and that was my fear :(

Granted, I'm absolutely head over heels about this phone and using it obsessively. For everything, except gaming I guess.

However, last night I wanted to let it die completely and noticed that it held to that 1% for a loooong time. I turned off autolock and fell asleep while was waiting for it to die. So I may do that a couple more times to get it calibrated, battery life may be better than what it was looking like. Fingers crossed.

Other than that, godlike phone. Btw, reporting no hiccups whatsoever. Blazing fast everytime doing everything.

Pachimari

Is it normal that my iPhone 6 (not 6s) is saying a clicking sound when I press the black frame (edge of screen) on it?

It makes me worried.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is it normal that my iPhone 6 (not 6s) is saying a clicking sound when I press the black frame (edge of screen) on it?

It makes me worried.
That is an incredibly common problem with 6. Of about ten different units I've handled, 7 or 8 had that problem in some capacity. If you're under 1y of owning it and the problem is pretty bad and repeatable every time you press the frame, you'll be able to get a replacement phone from Apple.

If the problem is not too bad, sometimes you can fix it for good by laterally twisting the phone back and forth with some force around the edge where the problem happens.

Pachimari

That is an incredibly common problem with 6. Of about ten different units I've handled, 7 or 8 had that problem in some capacity. If you're under 1y of owning it and the problem is pretty bad and repeatable every time you press the frame, you'll be able to get a replacement phone from Apple.

If the problem is not too bad, sometimes you can fix it for good by laterally twisting the phone back and forth with some force around the edge where the problem happens.

I bought it a few weeks ago, and the issue is repeatable. But we don't have an Apple store here. =(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Upgraded from iPhone 6 Plus to 6S Plus now that it's finally back in stock in UK. The trade in value Apple Store gave my 64GB was £320 so I payed just some £380 for the new phone.

Really awesome upgrade in terms of experience. I didn't quite realise how un-smooth the 6 Plus was until now that I see how buttery smooth the 6S Plus is. It doesn't feel frustrating at all now, there is no lag or stutter whatsoever.

The functionality updates - force touch, Live Photos - are pretty meh and the camera seems pretty much identical.

I'd say the update is worth it for people wanting a slicker experience, but not really worth it for people wanting new features.

Red

I'm planning on making a wedding pre-proposal video and could use some links or tutorial links.

Have friends helping with the script and doing some on screen appearances. Should be fun. I have until Christmas so we are trying to do this right.
I like FilmicPro in terms of recording features. I have a Moondog anamorphic lens (for 5s :( ) which works really well. You can produce pretty nice video footage from iPhones. As far as editing on-device, I'm still experimenting. I like Videoshop from what little I've used it so far.

Some advice: maintain good lighting, lock focus and exposure, and try to avoid camera movements. You should ideally mount the phone to a tripod, but if that is not possible lean against some solid object to keep still. Try not to pan or tilt, unless it is done very slowly and smoothly. The plus handles movement a little better but there is still some weirdness when things get bumpy.

Ninja Dom

iMovie on the iPhone is more than capable of making a very nice video. Even on the iPhone 4 back in 2010 I used to make really nice videos using iMovie on the iPhone back then.

Once you make the video what are you gonna play it back on? The iPhone or a computer setup? Just wondering.

Apple's brief info page: http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/imovie/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I bought it a few weeks ago, and the issue is repeatable. But we don't have an Apple store here. =(
Doesn't matter. Just go here and start a service request. You'll have to mail the phone to them (free of charge) and they send you a new one.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/

You'll have to classify that under "other repairs" as it's not exactly a screen damage. Just explain that it looks like the screen has started ungluing in a certain spot, and that it's been getting worse since you got it. I think this issue might be related to a slight body warping issues, and they are paranoid about the bad PR about it after the bend-gate, so they just replace without asking anything.

bionic77

A few days in, can't say I wasn't a bit disappointed about my 6s+ battery life (Samsung).

No mythical 2 day battery, or even a day and a half, in fact it was struggling to hold on to a full long day (it seemed), and that was my fear :(

Granted, I'm absolutely head over heels about this phone and using it obsessively. For everything, except gaming I guess.

However, last night I wanted to let it die completely and noticed that it held to that 1% for a loooong time. I turned off autolock and fell asleep while was waiting for it to die. So I may do that a couple more times to get it calibrated, battery life may be better than what it was looking like. Fingers crossed.

Other than that, godlike phone. Btw, reporting no hiccups whatsoever. Blazing fast everytime doing everything.
Battery is always a bitch to compare because there are too many factors that can influence it.

But for me I would have to actively work to run my battery down by the end of the day. Normal usage is 1.5 days for me and I use my phone a lot of phone calls and emails.

Red

Tweetbot has great 3D Touch implementation. Don't know if that's new.

Can't figure out how to view my own posts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you switch on power mode, it says it turns off email fetch. But does push email still work? I have gmail which doesn't have push on the native mail client so I use the google inbox client to get push mail, and would like to know if I'll lose that in low power mode

EmiPrime

If you switch on power mode, it says it turns off email fetch. But does push email still work? I have gmail which doesn't have push on the native mail client so I use the google inbox client to get push mail, and would like to know if I'll lose that in low power mode

Send an email to yourself from another device and you'll find out.

Top Bottom