• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Tweetbot has great 3D Touch implementation. Don't know if that's new.

Can't figure out how to view my own posts.

You can view your own tweets by tapping on the 4th icon on the bottom. If you don't see it, do a long tap to see the other options and select from there. Once you pick the profile option it will stay with that until you do another long tap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just hit 2% battery on my 6s with 7.5hrs usage and 34hr standby. Seems pretty good to me. Is a TMSC chip but I don't know how much that really affects things

Edit: just checked and my 6s plus is a Samsung :p

LordOfChaos

A few days in, can't say I wasn't a bit disappointed about my 6s+ battery life (Samsung).

No mythical 2 day battery, or even a day and a half, in fact it was struggling to hold on to a full long day (it seemed), and that was my fear :(

Granted, I'm absolutely head over heels about this phone and using it obsessively. For everything, except gaming I guess.

However, last night I wanted to let it die completely and noticed that it held to that 1% for a loooong time. I turned off autolock and fell asleep while was waiting for it to die. So I may do that a couple more times to get it calibrated, battery life may be better than what it was looking like. Fingers crossed.

Other than that, godlike phone. Btw, reporting no hiccups whatsoever. Blazing fast everytime doing everything.

If you use Facebook did you update the app? My 6S was nearly dead by 9 with it, uninstalled it until they fixed it a few days ago.

Not that you'll get to two days most likely, mine still gets through a day with only a little reserve. Not like my Moto G which used to last the second day if I forgot to charge it overnight

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Ok so I'm about to sell my current 6s+ Gold 16gb on Swappa, in order to buy a 64GB Space Gray model. Space Gray just looks superior to all the other colors. You guys weren't kidding. But on Apple sites it says "Available to ship Nov 4-16". Will they take out the money ASAP or when it ships ? I want to have time to have my money I get from selling my current one before I buy it. But they may sell out again.

neurosyphilis

Just ordered. Superior Space Gray 64GB 6s+ will be mine. It'll be here November 9-16 which is a long ass time, but oh well. It will give me time to sell my current inferior Gold 16GB 6s+ on Swappa. If anyone is interested I'll be listing it maybe tomorrow. Asking $680 with the Apple Leather case in Saddle Brown.

I like FilmicPro in terms of recording features. I have a Moondog anamorphic lens (for 5s :( ) which works really well. You can produce pretty nice video footage from iPhones. As far as editing on-device, I'm still experimenting. I like Videoshop from what little I've used it so far.

Some advice: maintain good lighting, lock focus and exposure, and try to avoid camera movements. You should ideally mount the phone to a tripod, but if that is not possible lean against some solid object to keep still. Try not to pan or tilt, unless it is done very slowly and smoothly. The plus handles movement a little better but there is still some weirdness when things get bumpy.

iMovie on the iPhone is more than capable of making a very nice video. Even on the iPhone 4 back in 2010 I used to make really nice videos using iMovie on the iPhone back then.

Once you make the video what are you gonna play it back on? The iPhone or a computer setup? Just wondering.

Apple's brief info page: http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/imovie/

Thanks guys! This really helps in the short term. Cheers!

@Ninja Dom, intend on sharing with friends, so a combination of iPhones, Android/Windows phones, and probably TVs too.

Ninja Dom

Ok so I'm about to sell my current 6s+ Gold 16gb on Swappa, in order to buy a 64GB Space Gray model. Space Gray just looks superior to all the other colors. You guys weren't kidding. But on Apple sites it says "Available to ship Nov 4-16". Will they take out the money ASAP or when it ships ? I want to have time to have my money I get from selling my current one before I buy it. But they may sell out again.

They'll deduct the money when they send iPhone is ready to be sent to you.

Thanks guys! This really helps in the short term. Cheers!

@Ninja Dom, intend on sharing with friends, so a combination of iPhones, Android/Windows phones, and probably TVs too.

Also iMovie can export to YouTube at 1080p/60fps and at 4K/30fps. Very handy. But the silly thing is that 60fps YouTube videos don't playback at 60fps on iOS devices.

Pachimari

Doesn't matter. Just go here and start a service request. You'll have to mail the phone to them (free of charge) and they send you a new one.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/

You'll have to classify that under "other repairs" as it's not exactly a screen damage. Just explain that it looks like the screen has started ungluing in a certain spot, and that it's been getting worse since you got it. I think this issue might be related to a slight body warping issues, and they are paranoid about the bad PR about it after the bend-gate, so they just replace without asking anything.

Thanks for this. I'll try send them a request tonight!

[edit]
The website just suggest I talk with a carrier but my phone were bought in an electronics store. Should I just say it was bought in an Apple Store then?

jts

...hate me...
With my usage stabilized and my battery calibrated I now got to 10pm with 37% battery left (starting from 7am). That's not so bad right? Could still slide in more Netflix than I could possible watch before falling asleep.

Really think calibrating the battery made a world of difference in how fast its percentage drops.

This tips about battery life seem nice. Think it's crazy that there's not a quick low-power mode toggle, if not in the control center (since it is quite static), then at the very least in the notification center included in the battery widget. It makes so much sense. Anyway, I'm curious to try a full day in low-power mode.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Think it's crazy that there's not a quick low-power mode toggle, if not in the control center (since it is quite static), then at the very least in the notification center included in the battery widget.
I use the Launcher app to do just that.

gruenel

Anybody have recommendations for cases? I have the regular 6s and prefer slimmer, low profile cases.

I've been through a bunch of cases and the Spigen Tough Armor/Capsule are pretty good in my opinion. I liked them the best anyway. Better than the Apple silicone cases. The Capsule is really slim, too.

They fit really nice, have a good grip and even work with the original Lightning Dock. And that military grade certification brings peace of mind.

m_ip6_rugged_armor_title_365f43d3-31c9-4cfb-a9d6-3c4fc7a6e9c1_grande.jpg
m_ip6s_capsule_title_blk_grande.jpg

but is powerless to stop the phone from fully bending in the middle (don't ask, thank you AppleCare!).
Ha! This made me laugh this morning. Even if I've never had to use AppleCare+, I swear by it. I buy it with every Apple device, if only for the piece of mind. Or, which seems to be a possibility, if an elephant ever decides to sit on my phone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't agree with fetching email manually (when I get an email I want to know immediately) but the rest is good advice.

turning on low power mode still enables push email so Apple clearly don't think push is a huge battery hog (or they realise it is important for you to be able to still get your emails while saving battery)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's what my wife is using. She likes it. I think it adds too much bulk to the phone, but I've been told I am too picky about things like that.

for me almost anything on the plus adds too much bulk. I'm going to try an orzly clear silicon case but it'll probably feel too thick. I tried their super thin one which is ok for size, but too slippery

Red

for me almost anything on the plus adds too much bulk. I'm going to try an orzly clear silicon case but it'll probably feel too thick. I tried their super thin one which is ok for size, but too slippery
The framexframe bumper I am using is the only "case" I've ever used that doesn't feel like it adds significant bulk. The phone loses those beautiful smooth edges but gets a lot grippier as a result. And it really is very thin. I've tried ultra slim cases and bumpers in the past and they never really delivered on the promise of invisible protection. The framexframe bumper does.

That said, the K11 bumper looks superior. It has a larger gap around the mute switch, which is a sore point on the framexframe, and is logo-free, at least for Kickstarter backers.

The gold framexframe is not a perfect match for the gold 6s, which bugs me. Might sound like a nitpick until you look at the cost of the bumper.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thanks for this. I'll try send them a request tonight!

[edit]
The website just suggest I talk with a carrier but my phone were bought in an electronics store. Should I just say it was bought in an Apple Store then?
Not sure what to tell you about that. I guess they probably will know where it was sold when you enter the serial number. Or maybe they won't, I guess it's worth a try. Did you buy it subsidized with the contract from the store you got it from, or did you pay it in full?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The framexframe bumper I am using is the only "case" I've ever used that doesn't feel like it adds significant bulk. The phone loses those beautiful smooth edges but gets a lot grippier as a result. And it really is very thin. I've tried ultra slim cases and bumpers in the past and they never really delivered on the promise of invisible protection. The framexframe bumper does.

That said, the K11 bumper looks superior. It has a larger gap around the mute switch, which is a sore point on the framexframe, and is logo-free, at least for Kickstarter backers.

The gold framexframe is not a perfect match for the gold 6s, which bugs me. Might sound like a nitpick until you look at the cost of the bumper.

Always good to have more options, although cases tend to be so cheap I just buy a lot and leave them in a drawer :p

Got links for the two you mentioned?

Ninja Dom

Ah great! My 6S hasn't performed an iCloud backup in 4 days although all conditions for an iCloud backup have been met.

Just like that, for no reason, iOS 9.1 and backups work - then they stop. 🤔

Dart

So my 6s is coming in the mail any minute now, super excited. Finally decided it was time to upgrade from my iPhone 2g ... yup the og iPhone.

Ninja Dom

So my 6s is coming in the mail any minute now, super excited. Finally decided it was time to upgrade from my iPhone 2g ... yup the og iPhone.

Wait!! Have you still been using an iPhone Original from 2007 all the way through till now?? 😳

Apart from calls and texts what else do you do on it? How is the battery? You use it for email and apps? I can't imagine many apps still run on iOS 3.

I still got my OG iPhone but I stopped using it in 2009.

Red

Always good to have more options, although cases tend to be so cheap I just buy a lot and leave them in a drawer :p

Got links for the two you mentioned?
K11

framexframe

If you want something that truly feels like an extension of the phone, these are the ones to buy. But they are pricey. Like I said I am disappointed in the color of the framexframe. Haven't used the k11 yet but have one on the way. I am going to sell whichever I less prefer.

Dart

Wait!! Have you still been using an iPhone Original from 2007 all the way through till now?? 😳

Apart from calls and texts what else do you do on it? How is the battery? You use it for email and apps? I can't imagine many apps still run on iOS 3.

I still got my OG iPhone but I stopped using it in 2009.

Nothing much, most things apps and social media are done on my laptop. Battery is good then again I use it for calls and texts only, occasionally emails. I don't even bother with browser, it's too slow. Apps... I used too have a few games back in High school... was my first cellphone too. I'm surprised it still works I mean it has fallen multiple times, chipped screen, fallen in water ... power button recently jammed which is the real deal breaker.

Waiting for 6s.. paranoia setting in...

neurosyphilis

Ah great! My 6S hasn't performed an iCloud backup in 4 days although all conditions for an iCloud backup have been met.

Just like that, for no reason, iOS 9.1 and backups work - then they stop. 🤔
Same here. iCloud never backs up for me. It is pretty useless. I might start back using Google Drive.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Same here. iCloud never backs up for me. It is pretty useless. I might start back using Google Drive.

The last time this happened to me it was a space issue in the cloud. Not saying that's happening here, but there are only a small handful of reasons an iThing will go all NOPE NOPE NOPE on iCloud backups.

Also, maybe log back out, then back into iCloud on the device. Try that?

Ninja Dom

The last time this happened to me it was a space issue in the cloud. Not saying that's happening here, but there are only a small handful of reasons an iThing will go all NOPE NOPE NOPE on iCloud backups.

Also, maybe log back out, then back into iCloud on the device. Try that?

I use my 6S camera like a BEAST! Prob taken 600 pics & videos and I only got this on launch day. I noticed my iCloud backup is set to backup my pictures. Even though I have plenty of GB free on my iCloud but I've turned off the photos backup. We'll see if this works.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I use my 6S camera like a BEAST! Prob taken 600 pics & videos and I only got this on launch day. I noticed my iCloud backup is set to backup my pictures. Even though I have plenty of GB free on my iCloud but I've turned off the photos backup. We'll see if this works.

You could turn off the straight photo backup and just use iCloud Photo Library.

Ninja Dom

You could turn off the straight photo backup and just use iCloud Photo Library.

I plug my iPhone into my comp on a regular basis and transfer my pics over. Prob weekly, because I take so much I want to have my own backed up versions of them.

It worked. Turning off backing up my photos meant an automatic iCloud backup went through successfully.

Top Bottom