• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Vamp

Ok this is weird. Everybody is saying that iphone6s is very slippery and they recommend cases for the grip but for me naked iPhone6s its not slippery at all and has much better grip than apple leather case which is slippery as hell.

I said gat dayum after looking at how much more space I'm using with camera/video compared to my 5. So I exchanged my 64gb 6S+ for a 128gb.

Fyi Apple Store will most likely allow 30 days for exchange or return not the 14 that's on the receipt.

I said gat dayum after looking at how much more space I'm using with camera/video compared to my 5. So I exchanged my 64gb 6S+ for a 128gb.

Fyi Apple Store will most likely allow 30 days for exchange or return not the 14 that's on the receipt.

Depends on if you activated the phone. If it was bought device-only or SIM-free then yeah, the Apple Store will usually work with you even if it's outside 14 days. If you activated it with a carrier plan (like a subsidy or payment plan) then 13 days is actually the cutoff and there's nothing they can do about it. On that 14th day the contract is set in stone and you gotta go to your carrier

Does anyone else have trouble with the 'go to last page' arrows on mobile gaf using safari? I try to to 3D Touch to preview and open in background but it doesn't really work, not sure why. Holding down on the link sometimes works but it takes longer than it should.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone else have trouble with the 'go to last page' arrows on mobile gaf using safari? I try to to 3D Touch to preview and open in background but it doesn't really work, not sure why. Holding down on the link sometimes works but it takes longer than it should.

Long press on the Gaf ball at the bottom of a page to open the forum in a new tab doesn't seem to pop up the menu until I remove my finger, whereas on the iPad it pops up after a second while you're holding your finger down. Strange.

FerranMG

Yeah, this happens all the time to me with both a 5S and an iPad Air.
It was one of the things that pushed me to a different browser than Safari, but got back to Safari after Apple implemented the content browsers.
Sucks we can't really have a really superior browser in all aspects.

Yeah, this happens all the time to me with both a 5S and an iPad Air.
It was one of the things that pushed me to a different browser than Safari, but got back to Safari after Apple implemented the content browsers.
Sucks we can't really have a really superior browser in all aspects.

Yeah I used to use Chrome last time I had an iPhone, and I tried to go back to it because of this but it seems like they've removed some features like swiping the side of the screen to change tabs. Neither browser has an easy way to change tabs!

Gaaraz

Sorry I wasn't very clear - just for getting photos and videos (including slow mo) from my phone and onto my PC.

I'll still use iCloud to sync things between my phone and iPad, though I'd much prefer if I could just use one service and transfer it to my PC also.

Number45

Sorry I wasn't very clear - just for getting photos and videos (including slow mo) from my phone and onto my PC.

I'll still use iCloud to sync things between my phone and iPad, though I'd much prefer if I could just use one service and transfer it to my PC also.
In that case I'm sure it will be fine. I have iCloud Photo Library enabled, but I use OneDrive to actually backup/share my camera roll.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Thank you :) Any reason you go with OneDrive rather than iCloud Photo Library?

I like OneDrive because it lets me tag and search all my stuff. The app will also visually tag all your stuff, which is alright, but I like tagging everything myself as I upload. This makes finding specific pictures a heck of a lot faster for me.

Plus, as an Office365 subscriber I get 1TB of storage included.

Number45

Thank you :) Any reason you go with OneDrive rather than iCloud Photo Library?
From my point of view it's because I have 1TB "free" with my Office account, so it means I can back up without having to worry about limits. I have iCloud Photo Library enabled as well, but if I hit the ceiling on that I can start deleting things knowing I have them backed up elsewhere. :)

I like OneDrive because it lets me tag and search all my stuff. The app will also visually tag all your stuff, which is alright, but I like tagging everything myself as I upload. This makes finding specific pictures a heck of a lot faster for me.

Plus, as an Office365 subscriber I get 1TB of storage included.
Yeah I like how iCloud works with my apple shit (since I'm 100% apple shit) but the raw value of office 365+ one drive is hard to beat.

Gaaraz

Thank you guys, OneDrive sounds great - even though I don't have an Office subscription I'll look into it now as a Dropbox alternative.

S¡mon

Banned
I use both iCloud Photo Library and OneDrive for photo and video backup. iCloud Photo Library is great for keeping everything in sync. OneDrive is great as it makes a back-up and is accessible from basically every device. It was also great to use on Windows, until W10.

I also use Google Photos, but only as a back-up if my OneDrive account ever gets lost (or vica versa).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I like how iCloud works with my apple shit (since I'm 100% apple shit) but the raw value of office 365+ one drive is hard to beat.

I don't like how you can't delete photos from the phone without deleting them everywhere else. I'd prefer to at least have the option to keep the online version.

boxter432

6S+ is not getting voicemails/visual voicemail. I can call my number and listen to them, but I have no notification that they are even there, nor can listen on the phone "app".
it started last week when I missed a call, but had no voicemail, when I plugged in my phone (i think after a restart) it popped up which would have been like 6 hours later.

missed another call, no vmail, reset network settings and a vmail popped up right when the phone turned back on, but had a call later in the day and they left a vmail but there was no notification at all, and restarting didn't make it pop up.

online faqs/forums are not helping. how can I make vmail work again?

HiiiLife

Dropped my 6+. Fuck me. Only had it for like 4-5 months.

Contemplating paying it off and switching to the 6S now. Can't wait a year for the 7.

Neptune

My 6s Plus is barely lasting 10 hours with what I would call light use – typically some Safari browsing, some music listening and some texting, but seldom all at the same time. Background app refresh is turned off, Hey Siri off, Bluetooth off, auto-brightness on, mail set to hourly fetch, location services only when using apps, all apps not being used are fully closed and so on, though without activating Low Power Mode. I know the battery is smaller than the 6 Plus, but this feels like a significant downgrade from the battery life I've gotten used to over the past year. Did I get a lemon, or is this what's expected when you lose the chip lottery like I have?

My 6s Plus is barely lasting 10 hours with what I would call light use – typically some Safari browsing, some music listening and some texting, but seldom all at the same time. Background app refresh is turned off, Hey Siri off, Bluetooth off, auto-brightness on, mail set to hourly fetch, location services only when using apps, all apps not being used are fully closed and so on, though without activating Low Power Mode. I know the battery is smaller than the 6 Plus, but this feels like a significant downgrade from the battery life I've gotten used to over the past year. Did I get a lemon, or is this what's expected when you lose the chip lottery like I have?

You got a stinker. I'd exchange it.

Pilgrimzero

Got a 6S+ last week and it seems my voice volume goes kind of up and down when I'm talking on the phone. The person on the other end says i fade in and out.

Ive also noticed that the volume fades in and out when I'm listening to podcasts, though I assume its because its trying to alert me to an email or something.

Anyone else have this issue?

Ninja Dom

Why don't you just get your pics & videos off your iPhone to your PC using the lightning cable???

That's what I do. I don't wanna rely on a service that sends the pics & videos up to a cloud service for it then to be downloaded to my comp. Just a straight cable transfer and job is done.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I plug my iPhone into my comp on a regular basis and transfer my pics over. Prob weekly, because I take so much I want to have my own backed up versions of them.

It worked. Turning off backing up my photos meant an automatic iCloud backup went through successfully.

When you do this do you upload them to the could or the SSD on your Mac ? I'm tempted to start just doing this instead, but my MacBook Pro's SSD is pretty small at 128GB.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Ok this is weird. Everybody is saying that iphone6s is very slippery and they recommend cases for the grip but for me naked iPhone6s its not slippery at all and has much better grip than apple leather case which is slippery as hell.
The Apple leather case gets way better with time. It's real leather so it has to wear in first. Give it a week or two. I love mine, its the only case I'll ever put on my phone. But right now I'm rocking it naked because I got the Saddle brown leather case, and I don't like the way it wears in. I may just get the black one. Or may just go naked, but I already dropped it and it has some scuffs on it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why don't you just get your pics & videos off your iPhone to your PC using the lightning cable???

That's what I do. I don't wanna rely on a service that sends the pics & videos up to a cloud service for it then to be downloaded to my comp. Just a straight cable transfer and job is done.

Onedrive is more convenient if you don't have a lightning cable constantly connected to your computer. Often if I'm just taking a quick photo to sell something, I'll take it with the phone and by the time I've booted the computer it'll already be uploaded to onedrive and then synced down to my computer. So functionally identical to using a cable, but more convenient.

I don't know if I might try the cable for importing to Lightroom if I take some proper photos rather than just snaps, plus I might want to download the movie segments of Live Photos.

Lexxism

Is there an option in onedrive where the photo will sync automatically? Or is it manually? What storage is included in the free one? 5GB?

edit: Never mind. It is 15GB.

J-Rod

I use a NAS to backup my phone photos. It automatically backs up any new photos/videos when I'm at home and on wifi. The drawback is that have to give the app location service privileges, because that's the trigger for it to run the backup. But it is nice since it doesn't require any action on my part besides the initial setup.

kaskade

I love Google Photos as an alternative to iCloud. Unlimited pictures at 16 MP, compression seems fine.

Can never have enough backups.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there an option in onedrive where the photo will sync automatically? Or is it manually? What storage is included in the free one? 5GB?

edit: Never mind. It is 15GB.

Haven't used it on iPhone but on android it was automatic backup to online storage, and then on your computer you can set it to mirror a local copy so it will automatically download to your computer

Ninja Dom

When you do this do you upload them to the could or the SSD on your Mac ? I'm tempted to start just doing this instead, but my MacBook Pro's SSD is pretty small at 128GB.

My iMac has a 1TB hard drive and all photos go to that. Plus I have an external hard drive attached which runs hourly Time Machine backups. Just to be sure that I don't lose them.

Onedrive is more convenient if you don't have a lightning cable constantly connected to your computer. Often if I'm just taking a quick photo to sell something, I'll take it with the phone and by the time I've booted the computer it'll already be uploaded to onedrive and then synced down to my computer. So functionally identical to using a cable, but more convenient.

I don't know if I might try the cable for importing to Lightroom if I take some proper photos rather than just snaps, plus I might want to download the movie segments of Live Photos.

As I'm running a desktop comp I have a lightning cable permanently connected to one of the USB's. I take a LOT of pics & videos, sometimes 40 in a day. So plugging the iPhone into my comp at the end of each day to charge it and transfer pics is a painless exercise for me.

//ARCANUM

when you say 10hrs, do you mean 10 hours of USE? Or just 10hrs off the charger? If it's 10hrs off the charger, then you got a lemon. If it's 10hrs of actual USE, that's not terrible.

Gaaraz

That's actually a really good idea, thank you. Copy across onto the PC via USB and then delete from the phone once I'm done. Ty!

MedIC86

Its a bad phone, i have the 'lesser' chip, and i can do 2 days with my battery with light/moderate usage.

Red

I have a crack in my 6s+ screen. It seems to have appeared overnight. I've never dropped it and have used a bumper since day 1. Never had it in a pocket with keys or anything like that. I am surprised and disappointed by this, and don't know what the cause could possibly be.

I was scratching at it for three minutes thinking it was a piece of dust... Didn't even consider it could be a crack at first.

I am really bummed by this. The only thing I can think of is someone else scratched or dropped my phone while I was unaware.

Top Bottom