• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I have a crack in my 6s+ screen. It seems to have appeared overnight. I've never dropped it and have used a bumper since day 1. Never had it in a pocket with keys or anything like that. I am surprised and disappointed by this, and don't know what the cause could possibly be.

I was scratching at it for three minutes thinking it was a piece of dust... Didn't even consider it could be a crack at first.

I am really bummed by this. The only thing I can think of is someone else scratched or dropped my phone while I was unaware.
I assume you don't have AppleCare+ or an insurance plan with your carrier?

I've made it a habit of getting AppleCare+ with every Apple device I buy for this sole reason.

I have a crack in my 6s+ screen. It seems to have appeared overnight. I've never dropped it and have used a bumper since day 1. Never had it in a pocket with keys or anything like that. I am surprised and disappointed by this, and don't know what the cause could possibly be.

I was scratching at it for three minutes thinking it was a piece of dust... Didn't even consider it could be a crack at first.

I am really bummed by this. The only thing I can think of is someone else scratched or dropped my phone while I was unaware.

Question, what does the crack look like? A simple hairline crack running across the screen? Or is it like a spiderweb crack that looks like it was from an impact? If it's the former, you can plead your situation at an Apple Store and you can get your phone replaced under warranty costing you nothing out of pocket because it could've been a bad batch.

If it's the latter, it would be hard to plead since it could be considered user error.

Red

I assume you don't have AppleCare+ or an insurance plan with your carrier?

I've made it a habit of getting AppleCare+ with every Apple device I buy for this sole reason.

Question, what does the crack look like? A simple hairline crack running across the screen? Or is it like a spiderweb crack that looks like it was from an impact? If it's the former, you can plead your situation at an Apple Store and you can get your phone replaced under warranty costing you nothing out of pocket because it could've been a bad batch.

If it's the latter, it would be hard to plead since it could be considered user error.
It's like a scratch with two little pinholes nearby. You can feel the grainy edge of the glass when you drag a nail across it. About 1mm long. If the screen is off you can see something like a smudge or superficial damage between the points. It actually looks like there is a 2mm crack underneath the screen, if that is possible, which connects the obvious crack and the pinholes. It looks like impact damage.

I have AppleCare+.

Ninja Dom

iPhone Original (2007) next to an iPhone 6S (2015)

iOS 3.1.3 and iOS 9.1

AI6BBNX.jpg

Finally got my 6s Plus that I ordered on the 12th of September... it was an ordeal from AT&T and I hate them.

Anyway, I tried to resist checking, but I checked and I have the Samsung chip. This bummed me out, so I figured I'd do some battery tests of my own to make myself feel better. I ran Provenance and played for an hour non-stop using a bluetooth controller and listening through bluetooth headphones, with the screen at its default brightness, and I lost 12 percent in exactly 1 hour. I guess that's ok.

3D touch is rough to get used to and figure out what actions are hidden behind it. There needs to be a way to visualize what is susceptible to 3D touch.

Ninja Dom

So how does it feel to go from something that started it all to the latest one?

Wait you weren't still using the OG iPhone were you?

No I never came from the OG to the 6S, I came from the 6. I've had every iPhone every year since the original (except the 5C, 6 Plus and 6S Plus). So I've used every new iteration each year. The iPhone Original is the only one of the previous iPhone's that I still have.

It's been interesting seeing iPhone OG handset and what would be iOS 1 evolve. When I got the original back in October 2007 (AT&T import from eBay as the iPhone wasn't released in UK yet) my mind was absolutely blown. The display at the time was sharper than anything I'd seen in my life and the speed and fluidity were unbelievable.

At first there was no 3G, you could only go landscape for Safari and Photos, no cut/copy/paste, no App Store and 3rd party apps and tons of other omissions and things that hadn't been developed yet. Over the years it's been really interesting seeing the hardware and iOS become so refined.

VoxPop

No I never came from the OG to the 6S, I came from the 6. I've had every iPhone every year since the original (except the 5C, 6 Plus and 6S Plus). So I've used every new iteration each year. The iPhone Original is the only one of the previous iPhone's that I still have.

It's been interesting seeing iPhone OG handset and what would be iOS 1 evolve. When I got the original back in October 2007 (AT&T import from eBay as the iPhone wasn't released in UK yet) my mind was absolutely blown. The display at the time was sharper than anything I'd seen in my life and the speed and fluidity were unbelievable.

At first there was no 3G, you could only go landscape for Safari and Photos, no cut/copy/paste, no App Store and 3rd party apps and tons of other omissions and things that hadn't been developed yet. Over the years it's been really interesting seeing the hardware and iOS become so refined.

Yeah it was a piece of crap featurewise coming from a N95 (or Blackberry Curve 8900?). But that sweet sweet pinch to zoom, coverflow, built in iPod capabilities, flawless capacitive touch, real webpages, and just being one of a kind was more than enough to make me love it. I was going to pay $600 SUBSIDIZED but luckily the price dropped just as I was about to buy one. iOS may still look stale as shit without jailbreak but it's come a long way for sure. Didn't really truly appreciate it till I dropped my iPhone 3G for a piece of shit Motorola Droid.

I wish I kept mine. No idea where it went. But I absolutely adore the original iPhone's design. A refined version with the aluminum and black bottom for the 7 would be a dream come true.

Red

It's like a scratch with two little pinholes nearby. You can feel the grainy edge of the glass when you drag a nail across it. About 1mm long. If the screen is off you can see something like a smudge or superficial damage between the points. It actually looks like there is a 2mm crack underneath the screen, if that is possible, which connects the obvious crack and the pinholes. It looks like impact damage.

I have AppleCare+.
Update from this. There is definitely damage below the glass. There even appears to be dirt or something that's worked its way through the display and is now stuck underneath. How much is screen repair through AppleCare+? I don't want to exchange the whole phone, since this one has a TSMC CPU. Does getting a repair affect the care plan at all?

I'll try to get pictures of the specks in the display tonight. Can't tell if they are dirt or dead pixels.

I've never wanted a screen protector before. Never needed one. I am surprised the 6s+ has this kind of damage so quickly, especially considering how careful I am with it.

Anion

Ughhhh

The k11 bumpers wait is forever lol. If I funded the kickstart a day earlier before it closed, I would have had mine probably by now lol

Red

Dead pixels turned out to be a lot worse than I thought:

(view full size)

All those black dots and the black streak are dead pixels. They are underneath the glass. The rainbow dash near the middle is part of the crack, but the whole crack does not appear because of the shallow focus.

Tell me GAF, would you return this? You think Apple will really charge me $130 to replace the display if the phone has this many dead spots?

Lexxism

Oh dang, that stinks. I got the space grey/space grey for my space grey 6S lol. What did you get?
Yeah, it definitely stinks. The planned shipping should be the coming week but it was postponed to Nov 16th or sooner as they said. To be honest, I have no idea but I'm currently leaning to White/Gold for my 6s plus Gold.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I hope Apple gets away from this aluminum with the 7+ next year. This thing dings up way too easily for a 1000 dollar phone. It's annoying how you have to baby the damn thing. I got 5 songs on it already and it's only been a month. Same with my 2015 MacBook Pro I have a small ding on it although it's not even noticble to anyone except myself, but still. If we're paying this much for premium products we shouldn't have to worry about the damn things singing and chipping if you tap it against any surface.

I hope Apple gets away from this aluminum with the 7+ next year. This thing dings up way too easily for a 1000 dollar phone. It's annoying how you have to baby the damn thing. I got 5 songs on it already and it's only been a month. Same with my 2015 MacBook Pro I have a small ding on it although it's not even noticble to anyone except myself, but still. If we're paying this much for premium products we shouldn't have to worry about the damn things singing and chipping if you tap it against any surface.

I sure don't want plastic.

Anion

(view full size)

All those black dots and the black streak are dead pixels. They are underneath the glass. The rainbow dash near the middle is part of the crack, but the whole crack does not appear because of the shallow focus.

Tell me GAF, would you return this? You think Apple will really charge me $130 to replace the display if the phone has this many dead spots?
Thats terrible. I dont know your entire situation, but I hope they like realize that just bad on their part and dont give you much trouble

Yeah, it definitely stinks. The planned shipping should be the coming week but it was postponed to Nov 16th or sooner as they said. To be honest, I have no idea but I'm currently leaning to White/Gold for my 6s plus Gold.

If I had the gold, I would have gotten that color combo. Probably will look sick. But if your delayed...Im guessing mine is even more delayed then...

clav

I kinda wanna see if Neogaf leans more towards the regular or plus model.

Regular.

Plus still seems like a why not afterthought. Heaviest smartphone on the market right now.

I'd wait until 7 plus if I wanted a bigger sized iPhone.

Shame about the regular's resolution though.

Plus without reservation. I tried to go back to the 6S as my partner has one and it was too much to give up, both in screen, resolution and battery life.

(view full size)

The screen is cracked they aren't going to say "Oh well the screen is cracked but since you have dead pixels you're cool".

More than likely the dead pixels could be related to the screen damage. It might have damaged something inside that caused them to appear.

I kinda wanna see if Neogaf leans more towards the regular or plus model.

I had the regular model for about a week and I loved it but I ended up bringing it back and getting the Plus. I don't really have much trouble using the phone one handed unless I'm laying in bed. I love the screen size and I don't see myself going back to a smaller version.

Red

The screen is cracked they aren't going to say "Oh well the screen is cracked but since you have dead pixels you're cool".

More than likely the dead pixels could be related to the screen damage. It might have damaged something inside that caused them to appear.
I doubt the crack has anything to do with the dead pixels. They don't overlap. The missing pixels are a lot more noticeable anyway. The crack only becomes obvious at certain angles.

DedValve

Banned
iOS hasn't changed much lol. Did you really use that phone for the past 8 years? My hats off to you because I have the itch to upgrade every 2.

I don't know what your talking about but iOS changed dramatically. Had no idea the og iPhone had that weird looking back and not the chrome. Man that chrome back looked SO GOOD at the time.

Top Bottom