• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I was all about the 5/5S but decided to get the 6 Plus for the biggest change (even got a OnePlus One to see if I'd warm up to a larger screen).

Upgraded to the 6S Plus for the RAM and speed improvements.

Have you tried one of the differant vibe patterns?

I'll try some of the others tomorrow and see how it goes.

Also, this is my first battery drain, (first "full" day with the phone) and it went from 10% to 1% VERY quickly while doing very little. Maybe in the span of 15 minutes. Is that normal?

With bluetooth headphones attached from 8 hours today, Overcast playing 7.3 hours audio in background, and my usage at 7h51m and standby at 14h12m, it really did last me the entire day. I'll post screenshots tomorrow of the day's usage, but I assume that's all normal for a 6s Plus?

Edit: Now I've been hanging on to 1% for almost as much time as it took for the phone to go from 10% to 1%. And I didn't activate low power reserve at all for the day.

Also, this is my first battery drain, (first "full" day with the phone) and it went from 10% to 1% VERY quickly while doing very little. Maybe in the span of 15 minutes. Is that normal?

With bluetooth headphones attached from 8 hours today, Overcast playing 7.3 hours audio in background, and my usage at 7h51m and standby at 14h12m, it really did last me the entire day. I'll post screenshots tomorrow of the day's usage, but I assume that's all normal for a 6s Plus?

Edit: Now I've been hanging on to 1% for almost as much time as it took for the phone to go from 10% to 1%. And I didn't activate low power reserve at all for the day.

Not normal to drop that fast but depends on what you're doing and the connection you have.

And iOS automatically does a lot of power saving in the background when battery gets low so that's normal for 1% to last a long time.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
I kinda wanna see if Neogaf leans more towards the regular or plus model.

Plus model for sure. I had a Nexus 6 prior to switching back to Apple and I can't go back to a smaller phone. I play lots of games on my phone so the addition battery life helps.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Plus here too. It's amazing, the battery is good enough to sustain my daily heavy usage. The screen is big enough to make me read Instapaper on it instead of in the iPad. Video recording provides me better results than my Sony A77 mark 2. The wifi is so, so fast. Browsing the web, switching apps, everything is so fast. What a lovely product :)

samn

It sounds like your battery % needs to calibrate. You should let it drain from 100% to nothing, without charging.

bionic77

Plus here too. It's amazing, the battery is good enough to sustain my daily heavy usage. The screen is big enough to make me read Instapaper on it instead of in the iPad. Video recording provides me better results than my Sony A77 mark 2. The wifi is so, so fast. Browsing the web, switching apps, everything is so fast. What a lovely product :)
I am coming from a 5S so I was really impressed with the photos and videos. At least in daylight they both look amazing.

Red

I am coming from a 5S so I was really impressed with the photos and videos. At least in daylight they both look amazing.
I don't think still images are a huge improvement, but video is much better. Stills have a little more detail because of the megapixel increase but outside of dim lighting are pretty similar. The 6s seems to handle HDR a little better. Didn't bother with it on my 5s but always have it on now.

I am a fan of Live Photos. They are a little choppy but are great for capturing moments in time. I look forward to improvements here: maybe some additional digital stabilization, or holding flash for the duration of the shot.

samn said:
It sounds like your battery % needs to calibrate. You should let it drain from 100% to nothing, without charging.

I recently did this. Turned off most notifications, background refresh, Siri, etc. Recharged fully and left it overnight to test its standby. After 7hrs it's around 66-70%. Wonder what's draining the battery so much. My 5 year old iPhone 4 actually had comparable if not better battery life even with minimal tweaking.

Not sure if I should go for an exchange. Samsung chip here (Plus).

clav

This is one of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery. This battery has no memory effect.

You are not using NiCd.

I fucking hate the Music app. I thought "well, now that I have all this space I might as well download some music", but now all the app is doing is pretending to download music, giving nothing but retry errors, and I can't cancel it. I hit cancel all downloads, j turn off Apple Music, I force quit the app, I reboot the phone, and when j turn it back on it keeps trying to download music. And it is sucking up so much power that I can't charge the phone. It continues to drain even plugged in.

I started this process last night and it didn't charge my phone for the morning, and it didn't download more that 10 songs. Now it won't stop trying despite all the times I've hit cancel all downloads in the app.

I'm going to have to restore my phone because of this garbage. This fucking sucks.

Gengahrrr

I recently did this. Turned off most notifications, background refresh, Siri, etc. Recharged fully and left it overnight to test its standby. After 7hrs it's around 66-70%. Wonder what's draining the battery so much. My 5 year old iPhone 4 actually had comparable if not better battery life even with minimal tweaking.

Not sure if I should go for an exchange. Samsung chip here (Plus).

It looks like I'm having the same mystery battery drain problem.

I was sitting at 49% and overnight it went down to 9%. This is also with Low Power Mode turned on and all apps turned off.

It looks like I'm having the same mystery battery drain problem.

I was sitting at 49% and overnight it went down to 9%. This is also with Low Power Mode turned on and all apps turned off.

I just turned off/while using it all location services, and forced quit all apps (apparently it still runs when the app is in the background). We'll see how it goes.

clav

That's a fairly small sample, but thanks!

Anyone else care to chime in?

Regular or Plus model?

Already put in my opinion.

Reasons why you are asking?

Subjective because it depends on the user whether he/she wants a big or small phone. For some people, one-handed use is important. For others, little things like better reception on the smaller unit, weight distribution, or 2 day battery life matter.

Amazing that after cancelling all music downloads, it is still downloading hundreds of megabytes, and now with my phone unplugged for an hour and a half, I've dropped 30 percent in battery. Guess i didn't need to use my phone at all today!

Thanks Music app, you magnificent piece of crap.

Draper

Already put in my opinion.

Reasons why you are asking?

Subjective because it depends on the user whether he/she wants a big or small phone. For some people, one-handed use is important. For others, little things like better reception on the smaller unit, weight distribution, or 2 day battery life matter.

Just curiosity really.

samn

This is one of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery. This battery has no memory effect.

You are not using NiCd.

I know it's not NiCd. I am not saying the battery has a memory effect or that this technique will improve the health or durability of the battery. I am talking about the software calibration which benefits from an occasional drain to 0%.

If you don't believe me look up what Apple say about their batteries.

clav

I know it's not NiCd. I am not saying the battery has a memory effect or that this technique will improve the health or durability of the battery. I am talking about the software calibration which benefits from an occasional drain to 0%.

If you don't believe me look up what Apple say about their batteries.

Battery percentage calibration will auto adjust over time without the requirement to drop to 0%.

Just curiosity really.

Ah OK. If you said that was your criteria to make a decision for your phone, I think that method is incredibly flawed since every user is different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just curiosity really.

I bought both and spent the 14 days figuring out which to keep. Ended up keeping the plus but it was a difficult decision. The 6s felt so nice in the hand and pocket hat I almost kept it. But I don't call much, so it is mostly used for photos and web browsing/apps. And two handed use is fine - I can type quicker like that so is my usual default. Based on that I decided to accept the compromises in size and weight for the benefits of the plus as a pocket computer.

Finally, all the goddamn music downloads stopped 2 hours after the first time I tapped "cancel all downloads" and many reboots. But, of course, after deleting all of the music, I still have used space on my phone, so now all those partially deleted songs will forever remain in the "other" ether of storage space.

Never again will I try to download a song from my music collection. What a joke.

Edit: Now I'm having to enter in my Apple ID password every time I restart the device. What the hell is going on? And I set up this phone as a new phone and didn't restore anything from backup. Urg.

Number45

I'm going from a 4s to a 6s+. I'm a little worried it'll be too big, but really looking forward to the extras that it brings in terms of resolution/screen size and battery life in particular.

artsi

That's a fairly small sample, but thanks!

Anyone else care to chime in?

Regular or Plus model?

I have the plus, but it's a bit uncomfortable in my hand. I need to get the leather case and then think if it's better, or if I'll trade it for the normal sized one.

For some reason I really, really hate the feeling of aluminium in my hand. I had the same problem with iPad Mini until I got the leather cover.

Doffen

Probably answered a billion times. But are there any recommendations for 6s cases? Preferably with room for a card.

//ARCANUM

Well, this is something that really bugs me. I had a 6s and then returned it and got a 6s Plus. And I noticed that the animations looked... choppier. I compared next to my fiancée's 6s and sure enough it looks like all my animations were running at 30fps while her's were running at 60.

I found this http://www.cultofmac.com/394468/how-to-fix-the-iphone-6s-plus-frame-rate-problem/

Which has a "fix" for it and a video.

(the video shows whats going on (you have to make sure you view it at 60fps to see the difference)

Basically, Apple has coded everything to work best on the 6s instead of having it work best on their most expensive device (the Plus) and then scale down. Since the Plus is running a higher resolution than the 6s, it can't keep up. This is pretty ridiculous to me. Why not code and design it for the Plus Apple? Then it will guaranteed work perfectly on the regular model.

The "fix" the video shows is if you toggle the "reduce transparency" option, the animations play at 60fps. And sure enough they do. But this is a really frustrating choice. Do I want my OS to look cooler? Or operate smoother? The fact that I have to make the choice when I have the most expensive phone they offer (128gb 6s Plus) is pretty annoying.

/rant

EmiPrime

Well, this is something that really bugs me. I had a 6s and then returned it and got a 6s Plus. And I noticed that the animations looked... choppier. I compared next to my fiancée's 6s and sure enough it looks like all my animations were running at 30fps while her's were running at 60.

I found this http://www.cultofmac.com/394468/how-to-fix-the-iphone-6s-plus-frame-rate-problem/

(the video shows whats going on (you have to make sure you view it at 60fps to see the difference)

Basically, Apple has coded everything to work best on the 6s instead of having it work best on their most expensive device (the Plus) and then scale down. Since the Plus is running a higher resolution than the 6s, it can't keep up. This is pretty ridiculous to me. Why not code and design it for the Plus Apple? Then it will guaranteed work perfectly on the regular model.

The "fix" the video shows is if you toggle the "reduce transparency" option, the animations play at 60fps. And sure enough they do. But this is a really frustrating choice. Do I want my OS to look cooler? Or operate smoother? The fact that I have to make the choice when I have the most expensive phone they offer (128gb 6s Plus) is pretty annoying.

/rant

9.2 drops less frames on the 6S Plus fortunately but it's still not quite as smooth as the 6S.

Erebus

I found this http://www.cultofmac.com/394468/how-...-rate-problem/

/rant
So it's like the 6/6+ all over again?

//ARCANUM

So it's like the 6/6+ all over again?

I guess so. I never noticed it because I had a 6+ for a year. Then I got a 6s to try out the smaller size and then returned that and got a 6s+, that's when I noticed the difference. Pretty disappointing.

clav

Probably answered a billion times. But are there any recommendations for 6s cases? Preferably with room for a card.

As lastflowers said:

http://www.senacases.com/product/chinese-new-year-lugano-wallet-iphone-6/

Switching to the winning team huh?

How the times changed.

When Doffen is considering an iPhone, you know MS fucked up.

Why is 100 - 0 bad?

You can kill your battery. Sometimes people run into issues with devices not waking up again for doing that. I'm quickly reminded of the $100 HP TouchPad tablets that had this issue. Hybrid batteries and many AA/AAA rechargeables have this issue and require jumpstarts (hot pair a charged battery) in order to get them working again.

You can safely top off your Li battery. Everything else is somewhat placebo.

I personally run down to 5-10% and then charge every once in a while. I wouldn't run down the battery to kill it for recalibration purposes.

I noticed this day 1 but it hasn't bothered me. The OS definitely feels smoother on the regular 6s.

The smaller device runs at a lower resolution. Hence, better on-screen graphics performance.

Top Bottom