• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Red

This new phone is so frickin' strange. I just got it to quit switching between portrait and landscape at the home screen. It just kept flipping back and forth, despite me holding it in portrait, and wouldn't swipe to a different screen or open apps. I am also getting about 2 hours or more battery than I did on my last phone, even though they both have the same N66mAP chip. Why would software be so much buggier on this phone? I mean, it must be software, right? 9.1 was so smooth before, but on this handset I keep getting lock ups or little freezes when opening or switching apps, opening the camera, or trying to unlock the lock screen. I've even had it freeze for about ten seconds trying to swipe between pages on the home screen. It wouldn't respond to taps or button presses, and suddenly performed them all at once (taking a screenshot at the same time, since I had pressed the home and power buttons, though not simultaneously). Then there was the bizarre orientation switch just moments ago. Hitches like that have to be iOS, right?

Persona7

Banned
This new phone is so frickin' strange. I just got it to quit switching between portrait and landscape at the home screen. It just kept flipping back and forth, despite me holding it in portrait, and wouldn't swipe to a different screen or open apps. I am also getting about 2 hours or more battery than I did on my last phone, even though they both have the same N66mAP chip. Why would software be so much buggier on this phone? I mean, it must be software, right? 9.1 was so smooth before, but on this handset I keep getting lock ups or little freezes when opening or switching apps, opening the camera, or trying to unlock the lock screen. I've even had it freeze for about ten seconds trying to swipe between pages on the home screen. It wouldn't respond to taps or button presses, and suddenly performed them all at once (taking a screenshot at the same time, since I had pressed the home and power buttons, though not simultaneously). Then there was the bizarre orientation switch just moments ago. Hitches like that have to be iOS, right?

Replace the phone? It is clearly defective.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm trying to backup my iPhone 5 before updating the firmware, but it always says it couldn't backup because the iphone is "disconnected", but it's obviously not. I tried deleting the existing backup and it didn't do anything. I don't want to change firmware without a backup first :(

What the hell are these EarPods supposed to be (thanks apple autocorrect getting the capitalisation correct)? Used them for the first time since getting my iPhone and they're terrible.mthey fall out of my ears at the slightest provocation (like walking or eating) and the volume won't go high enough to comoensate without everyone else hearing it.

They're going straight back in the box and I'll buy some in-ear silicon ones. Will any phone headset work with iPhone or do they have a weird pinout on the plug?

Most work with the iPhones. To be sure look for the made for iPhone logo. Most I have tried worked even without the logo.

I actually haven never used the EarPods before, always used my own IEMs. I have a friend who swears by them so I gave mine to him.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
This just started tonight. I ate some chicken. So I washed my hands and clean the sensor, and still no luck. This is unfortunate of rme.

Kind of OT but has anyone ever gotten something repaired by Apple before? I sent my iPhone 6 on the 2nd to get repaired for a dead pixel and just now got the email that it's been repaired and will arrive tomorrow. Given the fact that it probably didn't arrive until the 3rd I'm kind of worried that they didn't notice anything and just sent it back because otherwise I'm not sure how they would have fixed it so fast short of replacing the phone.

Vyer

Kind of OT but has anyone ever gotten something repaired by Apple before? I sent my iPhone 6 on the 2nd to get repaired for a dead pixel and just now got the email that it's been repaired and will arrive tomorrow. Given the fact that it probably didn't arrive until the 3rd I'm kind of worried that they didn't notice anything and just sent it back because otherwise I'm not sure how they would have fixed it so fast short of replacing the phone.

Well, I know in stores they'll just replace the phone for you. So it's possible they would do the same when it's sent off.

Weevilone

They'd replace the screen only if they didn't swap it.

I just had an iPad issue and they just handed me a brand new looking refurb. Ditto with a Macbook Air that was about out of AppleCare. They had to order a new display for it, but I still got a call 3 days later that it was ready for pickup.

They'd replace the screen only if they didn't swap it.

I just had an iPad issue and they just handed me a brand new looking refurb. Ditto with a Macbook Air that was about out of AppleCare. They had to order a new display for it, but I still got a call 3 days later that it was ready for pickup.

They don't do iPad repairs in store (can't open them up) so all iPad issues are immediate hardware swaps (if it's hardware and not software). iPhones are far more modular, and get more modular with each new release. Display replacements, camera replacements, battery replacements, etc are all possible in-store

Number45

UPS have finally managed to get my phone delivered at the third time of asking. Hurrah!

Now only three and a half hours before I get home...

Finally caved and picked up an iPhone 6s+ in Space Grey. Really enjoying it though it's going to take a little time to get used to the size.

Is there anyway to only have location services on for certain apps? I'm trying my best to fully optimize the battery life on it.

Also, I'm caseless. I'm not a big fan of cases but this thing feels slippery as heck. Any suggestions for thin bumpers or something similar?

Does "Hey Siri" not work over bluetooth? I couldn't get Siri to recognize me until I took the phone out and said "hey Siri" at it instead of over the bluetooth headphones I was wearing at the time.

ruxtpin

Banned
So butter fingers me dropped the phone on its back the other day while I was on treadmill. The phone was in a slim case and it landed on the area in front of the belt, so it was just hard hollow plastic where it hit. No visible damage and it seems to be working ok, but now I'm paranoid about the insides.

When using peek and pop, is there a slightly audible click or did I jar something loose?

emag

When using peek and pop, is there a slightly audible click or did I jar something loose?

There's an audible click from the speaker, but not anything physical.

Finally caved and picked up an iPhone 6s+ in Space Grey. Really enjoying it though it's going to take a little time to get used to the size.

Is there anyway to only have location services on for certain apps? I'm trying my best to fully optimize the battery life on it.

Settings->Privacy->Location Services

Also, I'm caseless. I'm not a big fan of cases but this thing feels slippery as heck. Any suggestions for thin bumpers or something similar?

I got a thin hard case off of ebay for a couple of dollars that I'm happy with. There are numerous reasonable options.

ruxtpin

Banned
There's an audible click from the speaker, but not anything physical.

Yeah, I think that's what I'm hearing. I can shake the phone and there's nothing loose/shaking. I just didn't notice the peek n pop noise before, but I can only really hear it if there's no background noise.

Anyone have issues using their iPhone as a hotspot for Windows? In particular, the Surface Pro 4? Whenever I try to connect it says theres an error but doesn't give me any details.

I use Verizon

Number45

So after the agony of UPS consistently screwing up delivery I get home to find that I don't actually have a nano SIM. A couple of years back I was intending on replacing the phone so I bought an adapter with the intention of getting a nano SIM in readiness for a new phone... looks like I didn't actually do that after all! :'(

So I'll be popping into town tomorrow to swap it out. Phone is beautiful though, looking forward to getting to grips with it and all the bits I've been missing out on with my 4S over the last year or two.

Weevilone

Anyone have issues using their iPhone as a hotspot for Windows? In particular, the Surface Pro 4? Whenever I try to connect it says theres an error but doesn't give me any details.

I use Verizon

I can test this later, as I have the combo.

Edit: I tested it with my Verizon iPhone 6+ and it seems plenty stable. It works like any other device.

Kabuto

Just got my 6S Plus today; wow. I can't believe I was using the 5S a couple of hours ago; it's so tiny.

Everything looks gorgeous, but Twitch, Youtube, and Simpsons Tapped Out look especially beautiful on this screen. I'm still not used to Force Touch and kind of forget I can use it. It could be neat though.

Rose Gold is a good color 8)

Number45

Right, first full charge complete - time to see how this baby compares to the miserable life I've been used to recently on my 4s! ^_^

Haven't done much other than initial setup. I was surprised to see no 3D Touch tutorial.

Vyer

Right, first full charge complete - time to see how this baby compares to the miserable life I've been used to recently on my 4s! ^_^

Haven't done much other than initial setup. I was surprised to see no 3D Touch tutorial.

I was too. The sensitivity thing in settings feels like something they would have used as part of one on the initial setup.

npa189

Got my 6s+ swapped out today due to a faulty loose headphone jack, first they said wax was in the port which is odd because I've only put headphones in there. Then a gruff old genius came and looked at it and said the clip and bearing inside were defective from the factory. Replacement phone is perfect, such an odd defect on a port that has literally been manufactured since the beginning of time.

Is the 6S Plus worth coming back to iPhone for? Been on the Galaxy Note 3 for past few years, last iPhone I had was the iPhone 5 I think. I like the Note 3 and the size is perfect, the 6S Plus looks pretty damn good from what I have seen.

My O2 contract is up in two weeks, going to leave them and go to Vodafone due to the Sky Sports offer they have.

Number45

One thing I'll say to be aware of with cases (I'll probably be getting rid of mine because of it) is that any kind of protrusion from over the left/right edges makes the 3D touch gesture to bring up the app switcher unnecessarily difficult.

I assume the Apple cases don't have this problem. Problem is I don't like silicon (too tacky) and I'm worried the leather won't look good for long - despite using a Sena Corsa case on my 4s that's retained its look admirably.

Pepiope

I'm rocking this case for a while now but I'm thinking of buying a new one for a change.

I was thinking of ordering Apple's silicone one but it's very similar to the case I've got I think.

What do you think of it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M3Q4ID4/
I just got my first bumper case a few days a go, and I love it. I'd go for it, especially if you're careful with your device, but want the protection just in case.

One thing I'll say to be aware of with cases (I'll probably be getting rid of mine because of it) is that any kind of protrusion from over the left/right edges makes the 3D touch gesture to bring up the app switcher unnecessarily difficult.

I assume the Apple cases don't have this problem. Problem is I don't like silicon (too tacky) and I'm worried the leather won't look good for long - despite using a Sena Corsa case on my 4s that's retained its look admirably.
I'm beginning to think that I am not doing it correctly. With or without a case, I get it to work about 30% of the time.

Number45

I'm beginning to think that I am not doing it correctly. With or without a case, I get it to work about 30% of the time.
I'm still getting to grips with 3d touch. I think I need to adjust the sensitivity, but I'll try and spend some time with the case off over the weekend and see if it's any easier.

Reckoner

I just ordered a Phantom Glass screen protector for my 6s. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Meanwhile, should I be worried? I'm using a sleeve. Hope it stays well until then.

Weevilone

I just ordered a Phantom Glass screen protector for my 6s. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Meanwhile, should I be worried? I'm using a sleeve. Hope it stays well until then.

You're just worried about the screen part? I've used my 6+ for a year with no screen protector and no issues. You'll be fine.

Why is the tab bar only in landscape on the Plus?

Also, opening threads on NeoGAF mobile usually takes a couple of taps. It instead things I am trying to do a 3d touch.

Ok, be honest guys, how many of you have a case and/or a screen protector on your phone? When I had the Note 4 I never bothered with a case but that all metal build is temping me.

Pepiope

Ok, be honest guys, how many of you have a case and/or a screen protector on your phone? When I had the Note 4 I never bothered with a case but that all metal build is temping me.
I have a bumper, but I don't use screen protectors, especially with this phone and force touch.

Vyer

I usually go just case and no screen protector, but somehow I haven't idea how but I managed to get some light scratches on the edge of the screen. It's a few in a bunch so obviously I rubbed something against it.

It's minor, but my eyes go right to it when I look at the screen now. >: [

Is the 6S Plus worth coming back to iPhone for? Been on the Galaxy Note 3 for past few years, last iPhone I had was the iPhone 5 I think. I like the Note 3 and the size is perfect, the 6S Plus looks pretty damn good from what I have seen.

My O2 contract is up in two weeks, going to leave them and go to Vodafone due to the Sky Sports offer they have.

If the screen size was the main thing holding you back, it's probably worth a shot.

6s+ is godtier. I love it so much more than my 4s which i love a ton when i first got it all those years ago. one of my favorite, if not, favorite electronic devices ive ever owned and i've only had it for a week

Namikaze

What was Apple thinking with the new iPhone docks? They're awful, I messed with one at the store today and they are so flimsily for like $40-$50. Feels like the Lightning connector could easily snap off if you bump into the dock too hard. What a terrible product.

I bought a cheap Anker glass screen protector, it feels great and force touch still works. I normally don't care for screen protectors, but I noticed that my iP6 had light scratches on the screen after only a year. Better to be safe than sorry.

jts

...hate me...
^

I actually opened this thread to complain about the glass on my 6s+.

Already a couple of maybe 1" light scratches on it, after only a few weeks.

My 5's glass was basically intact after years.

Sigh.

Been using my Space Grey 6s+ naked without case or screen protector for about couple of weeks now, haven't dropped the phone or anything but managed to add few scratches on the screen already which I've no idea how.

My 6+ seemed to have handled the wear and tear better, I'm talking about just the screen and scratches.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I had to swap out my launch day 6s at the Apple Store yesterday.

Two days ago it started restarting randomly, then last night it would charge at all. It would show 100%, but die with in a minute of unplugging it. They couldn't even get diagnostics to run on it in the store as it would shut down or restart before it would finish.

I did the upgrade option so I have Apple Care+ so it was no hassle to deal with. I was worried I'd have to wait ages as they had no appointments until Sunday when I checked online, and when I got there around 3pm the appointment slot I got was 6:45. But they said to just check back in an hour in case things had calmed down (it was busy as hell). Thankfully they had and I got in immediately when I checked in at 4.

Grabbed the new Apple TV while there as well. Excited to check it out tomorrow (to tired to set it up tonight).

Red

6s+ is godtier. I love it so much more than my 4s which i love a ton when i first got it all those years ago. one of my favorite, if not, favorite electronic devices ive ever owned and i've only had it for a week
I think the 4s is still the iPhone I have fondest memories of. The 6s+ is great but its one-hand usability is compromised by its size. That's important to me. I hope with the 7 Apple can reduce the size of its bezels. That will go a long way to making their phones easier to hold.

^

I actually opened this thread to complain about the glass on my 6s+.

Already a couple of maybe 1" light scratches on it, after only a few weeks.

My 5's glass was basically intact after years.

Sigh.
Yeah. I was lucky to get a free replacement for mine, but it's disappointing how quickly my glass got scratched.

Anion

Question for an iPhone newbie -- my wife wants one.

Is it better to buy directly from Apple, or go to Verizon?
Doesn't matter much, but the experience is much better at the Apple Store. And you can check the availablity online too before you even step in. Or even buy it and pick it up there

Top Bottom