• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

gruenel

You won't kill an iPhone battery just because you use it until it's empty...

HP batteries though... I have no problem believing that.

jts

...hate me...
Been using my 6s+ for 2 weeks caseless so far. Looks pristine. I had ordered a case off eBay which hasn't arrived yet, but the truth of the matter is that after being scared into using a case all the time by the iPhone 5 #scuffgate, I realize those days are long gone so I feel free again. I'll still use a case now and then when I see fit.

Animations: didn't notice them running slower than they should until that video. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Battery life with a Samsung chip: pretty good, 4/5 stars.

Other notes: iOS 9 wifi assist killed my data plan for the month :|

Everything else: great. Extremely fast adjustment to that Plus life. I love it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vodafone still not sorted my data so wifi not for now. I just got an EE ' Christmas SIM' which I put in my mifi, and gives me 100GB data per month for two months, after topping up just £10. So I'll use that while waiting for Vodafone to pull their finger out..

Anyone else the uk should grab one of those sims.

Spaced33

Hey guys,

Wanted to ask any 6s owners here. Is this battery life normal?

My wife bought a 6s yesterday and after charging it all night and unplugging at 5:00 a.m, it's already pretty low on battery - 33% as of 2:25 p.m . She's pretty bummed, thought she'd get more out of it.

Any ideas?

p5pzi4jfj

p7zsUbCCj

Lexxism

It must be the facebook app. I read it has draining issues. Try deleting the app and use the safari for facebook. I think that might help her.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Red

Got a new phone as a replacement for my 6s plus. Another TSMC chip. That's three for three.

I look forward to reading the Anandtech review.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Hey guys,

My wife bought a 6s yesterday and after charging it all night and unplugging at 5:00 a.m, it's already pretty low on battery - 33% as of 2:25 p.m . She's pretty bummed, thought she'd get more out of it.

Any ideas?

p5pzi4jfj

p7zsUbCCj

Your location services are running for some app indicated by that icon on the top right. Turn it off for all but the obvious apps that require it and especially disable it for FB. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location services. Location services are a battery hog on this phone if you keep it running all the time.

Spaced33

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll pass them along and keep an eye out for any improvements. Should she be able to get through the day without charging (under moderate use)?

Red

My replacement phone runs warmer than my last one, especially around the Apple logo on the back of the phone. It has already locked up a couple of times. I'm going to update to 9.1 and see if that helps at all.

artsi

I got the Apple leather case for my 6S+ and it feels like a different phone. Not icky aluminium to hold anymore, more grip and edges are now comfortable.

I really like the phone now.

Hey guys,

Any ideas?

p5pzi4jfj

p7zsUbCCj
Facebook and Location services look like the problem to me.

bionic77

Hey guys,

Any ideas?

p5pzi4jfj

p7zsUbCCj
I believe the first day or two the phone is heavily indexing and I remember mine heating up a lot.

Wait until the indexing is done and then see how long the battery lasts.

njean777

Is the Touch ID suppose to be like omg fast on this phone? I am coming from a 6 and damn I just touch the home button and it instantly unlocks...

Pepiope

TouchID is too fast. I've trained myself to use the sleep/wake button or use a different finger to check notifications/time
It really does work too well, but not much of an issue. I like that I can have a passcode on my phone yet be able to unlock it in the same time it would normally take to just wake the phone up.

Vyer

i have a small scratch on my screen. not even sure how I did it, i'm thinking i must have had it in my hand and hit something at work.

it's a small grouping, rather light. but my eyes go to it every time. it sits there, taunting me. >:[

now that's what i call taking your time for a review.

great review though. most of those benchmarks are insane.

rezuth

Hey guys,

Any ideas?

p5pzi4jfj

p7zsUbCCj

Can you press on that little timer to the right or on one of the bars so I can see how much is with the screen on and how much is background of those?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
TouchID is too fast. I've trained myself to use the sleep/wake button or use a different finger to check notifications/time

Try using the tip of your thumbnail. That is what I have to do when using Apple Pay because like you said TouchID registers too quickly when I use the flat part of my thumbs.

Spaced33

Can you press on that little timer to the right or on one of the bars so I can see how much is with the screen on and how much is background of those?

I'll have to get back to you on this one. She's working half a day and then heading on over to Disney for the second, so it's not looking like today will be a battery test day. I'll be sure to post an update on her next full day at work.

Hey guys,

Any ideas?

p5pzi4jfj

p7zsUbCCj

Location services to only "while using app" and make sure to force quit all apps (double click swipe up). Turn off app background refresh. And then, turn off Hey Siri in General, and most importantly Siri Suggestions in Spotlight search.

I've complained about my battery life earlier in this thread, just did that yesterday. Downloaded Battery Doctor and now my battery is giving me over 20 hrs of use. I'm currently sitting at 54% with regular use of FB/web/news/messages since 7 am yesterday. I have the Samsung chip.

Red

My replacement phone shows 3mb L2 cache and 0mb L3 cache. Is this correct? It has locked up in settings multiple times, and has taken up to five seconds to disengage from the lock screen after putting in a password or using touchID. It has also vibrated at least twice without any accompanying notifications (while I was holding the phone).

I am thinking they gave me a refurb. On the plus side, the screen is perfect, and it scores higher in geek bench than my old phone.

Social

you just open facebook, do your thing, and fully close it via the app list, and fixed.

I never leave that POS app open.

Location services to only "while using app" and make sure to force quit all apps (double click swipe up). Turn off app background refresh. And then, turn off Hey Siri in General, and most importantly Siri Suggestions in Spotlight search.

I've complained about my battery life earlier in this thread, just did that yesterday. Downloaded Battery Doctor and now my battery is giving me over 20 hrs of use. I'm currently sitting at 54% with regular use of FB/web/news/messages since 7 am yesterday. I have the Samsung chip.
I thought you weren't supposed to do that because starting them again wastes battery.

Red

They all show 0MB L3, normal, but wrong. The L3 is probably just app-invisible.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4066511
Gotcha.

I hope the weird hitches I'm getting are just new phone blues. I didn't have this experience with my old one, but this time I installed a lot more apps simultaneously. I don't know if somehow that puts more stress on the phone during its early days. I tried opening the camera app through control center this morning to get a picture of my son, but it did not display an image for about six seconds, and then the moment was gone.

Gaaraz

I've had a mobile phone for around 15 years and have only ever dropped it once (my iPhone 3GS, down the toilet of all places) and yet less than two weeks of owning an iPhone 6S Plus I've managed to drop it face down onto paving slabs... aggghh

I thought you weren't supposed to do that because starting them again wastes battery.

You're not supposed to force quit apps unless they give you issues, yeah. Starting them back up again from scratch every time uses more battery than having them frozen in the background

You're not supposed to force quit apps unless they give you issues, yeah. Starting them back up again from scratch every time uses more battery than having them frozen in the background

Yeah I'm aware of it, should've been more precise, wanted to mention it so that person could start from scratch. After all the battery hog options disabled, better not to worry about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What the hell are these EarPods supposed to be (thanks apple autocorrect getting the capitalisation correct)? Used them for the first time since getting my iPhone and they're terrible.mthey fall out of my ears at the slightest provocation (like walking or eating) and the volume won't go high enough to comoensate without everyone else hearing it.

They're going straight back in the box and I'll buy some in-ear silicon ones. Will any phone headset work with iPhone or do they have a weird pinout on the plug?

emag

I made the mistake of taking EarPods with me on a long trip recently. I'd tried the old style Apple earbuds back in 2006 with my first iPod and been disappointed, but surely these ones that came with my 6 would be better. Put them on after we boarded the plane, gave them five minutes, and they went back in the box. There are great $10-$20 earphones available on Amazon with inline controls and mic (and work fine with iPhone). Unless you have a very niche set of requirements, I don't know why you'd choose the Apple EarPods.

I literally only use EarPods for one thing and that's walking from my car to my classroom when I'm on campus and that's only because I like to be able to hear my surroundings in case someone is trying to get my attention. Otherwise I use on of the other 7 pairs of headphones I own.

Top Bottom