• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

MRSA

Banned
So had a noticeable scratch on my screen, went to Apple and was ready to pay the $129 to replace the screen. No parts available but they'll do a phone swap for the same price. Hand them my card to complete transaction and the guy told me to not worry about it. That's the 3rd time Apple has replaced a phone for me (shattered 4S, shattered 5S and now a scratched 6S, maybe I should just stay away from the S series). He also didn't program my phone so I checked off Verizon when the phone booted up, so now I have an unlocked 6S. This is why I keep buying Apple.

Fatalah

So had a noticeable scratch on my screen, went to Apple and was ready to pay the $129 to replace the screen. No parts available but they'll do a phone swap for the same price. Hand them my card to complete transaction and the guy told me to not worry about it. That's the 3rd time Apple has replaced a phone for me (shattered 4S, shattered 5S and now a scratched 6S, maybe I should just stay away from the S series). He also didn't program my phone so I checked off Verizon when the phone booted up, so now I have an unlocked 6S. This is why I keep buying Apple.

Wow, very very helpful story.

^

I actually opened this thread to complain about the glass on my 6s+.

Already a couple of maybe 1" light scratches on it, after only a few weeks.

My 5's glass was basically intact after years.

Sigh.
Yeah, I had kept my 5 naked from Day One. Nary a scratch on the screen and anything wrong with the housing was my duty. My iPhone 6+? Screen scratched within a few weeks. And that was babying it. I learned my lesson and my 6S+ is cased and screened.

Vyer

yeah I've had a couple of iphones and an ipad over the years get replaced for free. It's best to go in expecting to pay, because more often than not you will need to, but sometimes it's a nice surprise.

Deadstar

Anyone have any issues with the screen registering? It seems to only happen when I try to type in landscape mode where the screen just won't register any taps to the screen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Wondering if this is a software or hardware problem.

Also apple pay doesn't seem to work sometimes either. It won't register my thumb is even there.

Number45

Has anyone done a breakdown of the content blockers available for iOS9? I picked up Purify when it was on sale but I'd like to do some investigation before I start to use one or the other.

They replaced my 320GB iPod before several times as well without paying. It's awesome. Though Sony also replaced my Xperia Z for free before even if it was water damaged. I just got lucky I guess.

Reckoner

Has anyone done a breakdown of the content blockers available for iOS9? I picked up Purify when it was on sale but I'd like to do some investigation before I start to use one or the other.

I also picked Purify up on sale and so far no issues. I remember people saying it was the best, while other filthy content blockers were accepting money to whitelist some sites.

Number45

I also picked Purify up on sale and so far no issues. I remember people saying it was the best, while other filthy content blockers were accepting money to whitelist some sites.
Yeah, I've had a look today - Crystal is the one that was being accused but they've been pretty transparent about the whole thing. I like the idea of Crystal being mostly hands off, but I think as I've bought it I might as well just give Purify a shot before looking at others.

1Blocker also seems to be popular, but there's probably too much going on there for my liking!

EDIT: Also, and granted I'm not the heaviest weekend user, I haven't charged my phone since Saturday, SATURDAY! Feels good man.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, I've had a look today - Crystal is the one that was being accused but they've been pretty transparent about the whole thing. I like the idea of Crystal being mostly hands off, but I think as I've bought it I might as well just give Purify a shot before looking at others.

1Blocker also seems to be popular, but there's probably too much going on there for my liking!

EDIT: Also, and granted I'm not the heaviest weekend user, I haven't charged my phone since Saturday, SATURDAY! Feels good man.
Fuck.

Care to share the battery usage stats from settings?

Number45

Waiting for it to sync to iCloud so that I can get the picture up (think it needs to be on wifi to sync), but it's:

Usage: 6hrs, 30 mins
Standby: 67hrs, 19 mins

<3

jts

...hate me...
Waiting for it to sync to iCloud so that I can get the picture up (think it needs to be on wifi to sync), but it's:

Usage: 6hrs, 30 mins
Standby: 67hrs, 19 mins

<3
Sensational.

Mine is clocking an average of 10 hours of usage, almost regardless of standby. Standby in this phone is so good.

But I use it a lot so mostly I still charge it once a day.

Number45

Yeah, this is the first time since I got the phone that I've run it down under normal use (I'd been downloading quite a bit through Apple Music for the first few days), but as I say I tend to use it less at the weekend so it's probably not representative. Currently on 15% (low power mode engaged at 20%) and I'll run it down as low as I can to see what I get from it.

Hopefully I can get a screenshot at 1% and it doesn't run out overnight and make me late for work. D:

FaintDeftone

So after telling myself I would never do it, I went back to an iPhone this weekend.

My first smartphone was an HTC Inspire. I liked it, but this was back when Android was still in its infancy and the platform just wasn't as good as it is today. I owned an iPod Touch as well for my music and apps I couldn't get on the HTC phone. I got tired of carrying around two devices so since the iPod Touch was significantly better at everything, I ended up buying an iPhone 4S when my contract was up.

I used the 4S up until I started wanting something different in terms of design and functionality. My wife had a Galaxy S3 at the time and I was impressed with some of the bells and whistles on that thing. My next phone I decided to switch over to the Galaxy S5 and returned to Android.

I was impressed with the Galaxy S5 and loved the screen on that thing. I started getting very deep into the Google ecosystem and used a Chromecast a lot and even had an Android Wear smartwatch. However, the thing that pissed me off about this phone was how long it took for me to get Lollipop, which was almost 7 months after its initial release. Not to mention that 5.0 slowed my phone down a bit and the experience went down hill. I also had a run in with Stagefright that freaked me out and my phone rarely ever got any of the promised monthly security updates.

Now that Marshmellow is out, I doubt the Galaxy S5 would get it anytime soon, if at all. This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I loved how Apple's updates were across the board as long as you didn't have an ancient phone. Android, however, due to its open source nature, getting a new OS update was a crap shoot. I grew tired of this and went back to an iPhone since I just received a new upgrade on my line.

I now have an iPhone 6S Plus 64GB phone and seem pretty happy with it. The phone is fast, all of my Google stuff pretty much works on it and a lot of the iOS equivalent apps and music listening experience seems much better on an iPhone. I miss some Android features and the fact that I had to toss my watch, but otherwise I think I made the right decision.

So after telling myself I would never do it, I went back to an iPhone this weekend.

My first smartphone was an HTC Inspire. I liked it, but this was back when Android was still in its infancy and the platform just wasn't as good as it is today. I owned an iPod Touch as well for my music and apps I couldn't get on the HTC phone. I got tired of carrying around two devices so since the iPod Touch was significantly better at everything, I ended up buying an iPhone 4S when my contract was up.

I used the 4S up until I started wanting something different in terms of design and functionality. My wife had a Galaxy S3 at the time and I was impressed with some of the bells and whistles on that thing. My next phone I decided to switch over to the Galaxy S5 and returned to Android.

I was impressed with the Galaxy S5 and loved the screen on that thing. I started getting very deep into the Google ecosystem and used a Chromecast a lot and even had an Android Wear smartwatch. However, the thing that pissed me off about this phone was how long it took for me to get Lollipop, which was almost 7 months after its initial release. Not to mention that 5.0 slowed my phone down a bit and the experience went down hill. I also had a run in with Stagefright that freaked me out and my phone rarely ever got any of the promised monthly security updates.

Now that Marshmellow is out, I doubt the Galaxy S5 would get it anytime soon, if at all. This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I loved how Apple's updates were across the board as long as you didn't have an ancient phone. Android, however, due to its open source nature, getting a new OS update was a crap shoot. I grew tired of this and went back to an iPhone since I just received a new upgrade on my line.

I now have an iPhone 6S Plus 64GB phone and seem pretty happy with it. The phone is fast, all of my Google stuff pretty much works on it and a lot of the iOS equivalent apps and music listening experience seems much better on an iPhone. I miss some Android features and the fact that I had to toss my watch, but otherwise I think I made the right decision.

Was your watch not one of the ones that's compatible with iOS? There are a few

My experience doesn't really mirror yours (except for liking my iPod Touch enough to get an iPhone) but the reasons you listed for switching from Android are why I never went in the first place. I'm not buying a device that's going to have to rely on carriers/OEMs to update on their own time. Fuck. That. The other reason I never went Android was I always felt their app permissions system was abysmal, but apparently that got fixed in 6.0?

FaintDeftone

Was your watch not one of the ones that's compatible with iOS? There are a few

My experience doesn't really mirror yours (except for liking my iPod Touch enough to get an iPhone) but the reasons you listed for switching from Android are why I never went in the first place. I'm not buying a device that's going to have to rely on carriers/OEMs to update on their own time. Fuck. That. The other reason I never went Android was I always felt their app permissions system was abysmal, but apparently that got fixed in 6.0?

My watch was a first generation Moto 360, which isn't supported on iOS (why I do not know...). Yeah, app permissions have improved in 6.0 but unless I wanted to go buy one of those ugly Nexus phones, I don't know when or if I would even get it.

Number45

So my phone is at 2%. Not brave enough to leave it overnight (because I have to get up at half five, it's my alarm and I have something scheduled for seven) but I've taken a new screen shot which I'll upload tomorrow morning when I have time (it should sync when I plug the phone in).

It's taking me a while to get used to the size of the phone (from a 4s) but fuck me it's worth it for the battery if nothing else.

Africanus

Switching over to I-phone 6s from Android next week.

Can someone recommend me a good case? One that protects the screen quite well. I'm not overly concerned with fashion (durability comes first) , although stylishness can be considered!

Nelo Ice

Banned
So my 4S finally died. Had an upgrade so finally made the jump and got a 6S. This phone is glorious omfg.
Edit: So reading older posts maybe I should get a screen protector and or case?. I've never had an issue with my 4S and any case I had was for show.

My watch was a first generation Moto 360, which isn't supported on iOS (why I do not know...). Yeah, app permissions have improved in 6.0 but unless I wanted to go buy one of those ugly Nexus phones, I don't know when or if I would even get it.
Any Android Wear watch works with iOS. The reason some of them were said to not be compatible is because in order to use them with iOS they need to be running the latest system update and it isn't possible to update them out of the box to that level without an Android phone.

jts

...hate me...
So my 4S finally died. Had an upgrade so finally made the jump and got a 6S. This phone is glorious omfg.
Edit: So reading older posts maybe I should get a screen protector and or case?. I've never had an issue with my 4S and any case I had was for show.
In my experience a case isn't that necessary, unless you want the added grip. The aluminum in the iPhone 6s doesn't seem to scratch easily at all. Now the glass though...

Red

In my experience a case isn't that necessary, unless you want the added grip. The aluminum in the iPhone 6s doesn't seem to scratch easily at all. Now the glass though...
I caved and preorderd a Thanotech E2E screen protector. I really dislike adding crap to my phone, but at 0.2mm and with K11 compatibility, the Thanotech option seemed a good bet.

FaintDeftone

Any Android Wear watch works with iOS. The reason some of them were said to not be compatible is because in order to use them with iOS they need to be running the latest system update and it isn't possible to update them out of the box to that level without an Android phone.

That I did not know. Oh well, I hear Android Wear watches aren't very good in iOS anyway. I'll just grab an Apple Watch later on down the road.

Ah well. Have to get a replacement 6s+. Since I owned it, random apps will just disappear and drop me back to the home screen. A hard reset will stop it for a time but it always reappears.

We've even tried restoring as a new phone and it does it on the built in apps, so it's not an issue with my backup. Luckily Apple didn't even blink when I called so we are just waiting for the first 64gb phone to show up.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So my cousin has a 6S+ and damn it looks like I'm returning my 6S lol. That thing is amazing and makes the 6S looks tiny. Asked him how much he's paying per month and it's only like $2 more. So yeah looks like I'm gonna head back to the store tomorrow and upgrade to the 6S+.

jts

...hate me...
Just got my fake Apple-like black "leather" case for the iPhone 6s+, off eBay. Took its sweet time. Looks and feels pretty spot on, only part where it's less than perfect is the camera alignment with the cutout.

The added grip is welcome as is the additional peace of mind it brings, however it also adds its milimiters and grams of bulk, which for an already big phone can be significant.

IDK. I'll mix it up I guess. Sometimes I'll go with the case, sometimes I'll go caseless.

edit: in other news, dropped my phone for the first time today (before the case). Below waist drop. Survived impeccably as expected except for another hairline scratch on the glass :(

Lexxism

After K11 was delayed again (2nd time), I wasn't able to resist anymore and bought the iphone 6s+ gold 64gb today. Just bought a cheap $5 case on it while I wait. I'm gonna say I'm really impress with it. Looks like my 2-3 years with phone is going to be fun.

Also, I do have a problem. I'm actually trying to do the 3D touch on apps and it doesn't show up the options. Like take a selfie, record a video etc on camera app. It's only shaking. I checked my settings and my 3D touch is on. I wonder what's wrong? Is there something I have to do?

edit: I also got the samsung chip. Let's see how the battery will fair.

jts

...hate me...
After K11 was delayed again (2nd time), I wasn't able to resist anymore and bought the iphone 6s+ gold 64gb today. Just bought a cheap $5 case on it while I wait. I'm gonna say I'm really impress with it. Looks like my 2-3 years with phone is going to be fun.

Also, I do have a problem. I'm actually trying to do the 3D touch on apps and it doesn't show up the options. Like take a selfie, record a video etc on camera app. It's only shaking. I checked my settings and my 3D touch is on. I wonder what's wrong? Is there something I have to do?

Don't be afraid to push it harder, and also you can test it and adjust its sensitivity from settings.

Red

Are you trying to 3D Touch the stock camera app? Not every app supports 3D Touch.

f@luS

More than a member.
My 6s with tsmc chip had a lot of issue as such I sent it back. Just got my new 6ams with Samsung one which I heard is inferior. After one say my batterie feels better and no overhearing though I didn't play heavy game. Still I'm on the fence to keep it or not because of what I read

My 6s with tsmc chip had a lot of issue as such I sent it back. Just got my new 6ams with Samsung one which I heard is inferior. After one say my batterie feels better and no overhearing though I didn't play heavy game. Still I'm on the fence to keep it or not because of what I read
I've a Samsung chip and I can go a whole day of heavy use (web, email, light gaming, sometimes in a low signal area) and get home between 40-50%. By the end of the day, after heavy use at home, it'll drop to around 20-30%. Anecdotal evidence and all, but I think ChipGate is about as real as BendGate. My 6S+ operates nearly the same as my old 6+.

Lexxism

I really think the Samsung chip is good. I have one right now. I charged my phone since Thursday at around 90% and since then I still have 50% left on it with 46h standby and 4.35h usage. I'm really liking it so far.

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok. But strangely I have some micro freeze sometimes like my screen isn't responding for 2s. Maybe this once every hour of use ... Hope it's not related

Ok. But strangely I have some micro freeze sometimes like my screen isn't responding for 2s. Maybe this once every hour of use ... Hope it's not related
What app(s) is this occurring in?

On Apple Music I get hitches when I am scrolling through "For You," but I blame it more on the app fetching data than a problem with the phone.

Lexxism

Is it normal that the taskbar in my iphone 6s+ takes 1-2s before it shows up? It seems it only happen whenever I'm using the touch id instead of the pin code.

Number45

Picked up a Sena heritage pouch for my phone. Love being able to use the phone naked, and gestures that start at the screen edge are MUCH more responsive without the case providing a lip at the edge.

Shame they don't do the same mechanism for removing the phone now, but I'll get used to it and the leather will soften too.

Is it normal that the taskbar in my iphone 6s+ takes 1-2s before it shows up? It seems it only happen whenever I'm using the touch id instead of the pin code.
Task bar?

So far I'm loving my 6S+, especially considering my last phone was a Droid RAZR Maxx. Anyone else having a bit of an issue with home screen rotation? I'll frequently unlock it and it will stay stuck as horizontal for a bit even though I keep it vertical, even after a light turn or two to try to adjust the accelerometer/gyroscope.

Red

So far I'm loving my 6S+, especially considering my last phone was a Droid RAZR Maxx. Anyone else having a bit of an issue with home screen rotation? I'll frequently unlock it and it will stay stuck as horizontal for a bit even though I keep it vertical, even after a light turn or two to try to adjust the accelerometer/gyroscope.
Yeah same thing happens to me. Sometimes i need to lock + unlock before it will switch.

This has been happening for me the whol 6 generation. I encountered it on my iPhone 6+, as well as my iPhone 6S+. I don't know if it is hardware or software that is the problem.

jts

...hate me...
@Lexxus

I don't have that glitch at all but it seems rather harmless, don't sweat it. Reboot to phone to see if it fixes it, or wait for the next update and see if that fixes it.

I wouldn't even bother restoring the phone just for that.

Red

Lexxus, I've seen the same thing. I've also had simultaneous portrait and landscape status bars, and landscape status bars while the phone is in portrait. I've had the bar disappear completely, or overlaid by text inside apps so that both are obscured. Gotta be iOS funkiness.

Top Bottom