• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Jerm411

Upgraded last night to the 6S+...this is my first phone on the larger side, damn I love it. Can't see myself ever going back to a smaller phone now.

Number45

Upgraded last night to the 6S+...this is my first phone on the larger side, damn I love it. Can't see myself ever going back to a smaller phone now.
It's not a one handed phone (I have medium sized hands), but I just don't care. Whenever I handle a 4s now (my youngest inherited my old one) I wonder how on earth I managed for so long with it. D:

Jerm411

It's not a one handed phone (I have medium sized hands), but I just don't care. Whenever I handle a 4s now (my youngest inherited my old one) I wonder how on earth I managed for so long with it. D:

That's how I was last night...was holding my 5s and my new phone and it was mind blowing me almost lol.

Now if I could just get 9.1 to update...stuck on "Update Requested" ugh...

Got a chip on my screen. Urgh, Knew I should've kept the screen protector on :(
Ugh sorry to hear about it dude, I need to put a screen protector on my soon. How did it happen, dropped it on rough, hard surface?

So I am trying a weird experiment. I am going to try to go two weeks or more on Grayscale mode. Just for sh*ts and giggles, then I am going to turn colour back on, to see how my brain reacts to it all.

Lexxism

In iPhone 6s plus: Whenever I open a site on new tab, a window will show up instead of a tab? There's no way to have on tab?

Red

In iPhone 6s plus: Whenever I open a site on new tab, a window will show up instead of a tab? There's no way to have on tab?
In the safari section of settings you can set new links to open in the background. Is that what you want?

Lexxism

In the safari section of settings you can set new links to open in the background. Is that what you want?
No, not that. It should be like this.
nrNxaKz.jpg
I want the new website on a tab instead of opening a new window. I checked it and it seems iphone don't have that option? It's only for iPad? That's a shame I guess. I really liked that option on chrome.

jts

...hate me...
No, not that. It should be like this.

I want the new website on a tab instead of opening a new window. I checked it and it seems iphone don't have that option? It's only for iPad? That's a shame I guess. I really liked that option on chrome.
On the Plus models (like yours) you can have that, but in landscape orientation only, provided you have the "show tab bar" setting enabled.

So my two, two and a half week old 6S Plus .. I left it alone at work for about two hours, just sitting at my desk, nothing plugged into it...

I reach for it, the screen is off, and not the Home nor the Power button would turn it on, battery was around 3/4 full when I last left it alone ... I kept holding on the power button, nothing... Held Home, nothing, held both down, still nothing...

Finally plugged it in, and tried the Power button again , finally decided to wake up, turned on with Apple logo and all...

Battery was at 74% when it woke up, what gives? Is this a bad sign, or expected?

Shall I return it and get a replacement, or wait to see if it happens again?

Running 9.0.2 on Wifi

emag

lmao apple. So it's only available plus models + landscape? damn.

I mean, you still technically have tabs, just without the tab bar. But yes, the tab bar only shows in landscape.

I wish Apple would add an indicator as to how many open tabs there are in the tab button (like iCab does). Honestly, just being able to tell if there's one or more than one would suffice.

So my two, two and a half week old 6S Plus .. I left it alone at work for about two hours, just sitting at my desk, nothing plugged into it...

Shall I return it and get a replacement, or wait to see if it happens again?

Running 9.0.2 on Wifi

I'd try updating to 9.1.x. If it happens again, return it.

okay this is slightly off topic but i thought this was the best place for this:
i have just had my iphone 6+ camera repaired free of charge due to the known issue that plagued a few of them. i picked it up today and when i did, the rep said that they identified a problem with the display and so fixed that as well. 'great!', i thought as i left with an iphone complete with new display and camera.
i've since looked at the repair invoice and noticed that the display repair has a cost of £99, whereas the camera repair has £0. i was not charged anything when i picked up the phone but now i am worried that they'll take this money using my apple id.
has anyone had that happen before?

Weevilone

How is everyone's wallet on lock screen? Does it work flawlessly? I already tried it a couple of times and I'm SOL.

You talking about just using Apple Pay? I lightly press my thumb on the sensor when the screen is black and the card pops up immediately.

Gaaraz

Ugh sorry to hear about it dude, I need to put a screen protector on my soon. How did it happen, dropped it on rough, hard surface?
Thanks, I've only dropped it once - when I was trying to get some videos of my cat before he sadly had to be put down... I rested the phone on my leg when I was crouched down feeding him and it dropped onto the (flat) paving slab but it seemed okay then.

It's only a small chip... I mean, in terms of annoyance it's probably on par with my old Nintendo DS which had a single dead pixel, but once you know it's there...

I'd definitely recommend a screen protector if you can find a decent one :)

Ninja Dom

Now I think about it. No. I'm trying to access my loyalty cards. Is it only for apple pay?

When your iPhone is locked (and with Apple Pay set up) double clicking the Home button brings up Apple Pay ready to use with your selected card. Is that what you mean?

okay this is slightly off topic but i thought this was the best place for this:
i have just had my iphone 6+ camera repaired free of charge due to the known issue that plagued a few of them. i picked it up today and when i did, the rep said that they identified a problem with the display and so fixed that as well. 'great!', i thought as i left with an iphone complete with new display and camera.
i've since looked at the repair invoice and noticed that the display repair has a cost of £99, whereas the camera repair has £0. i was not charged anything when i picked up the phone but now i am worried that they'll take this money using my apple id.
has anyone had that happen before?

You need to look at the invoice and check the total cost, it should tell you. The reason it tells you the price of the repairs it's because they need to for legal reasons, and at the bottom for the "Total" you'll see the discount. I've always encountered this for replacements or repairs at the Apple Store.

Also, unless you pay for the repair right then and there, they cannot charge you any further. In fact, I think you were supposed to be charged for any additional repairs BEFORE they sent your iPhone off to get repaired for the camera. I think you're gonna be fine, enjoy the free repair! :D

i really want to get a 6S+ but keep getting put off when people are always saying it doesn't perform as well as the 6S due to lag/frame drops etc.

it's either 6S+ now or wait for the 7S+ and of course that's not gonna be for another 2 years.

how are you enjoying your 6S+? i'm thinking of just getting one and trying it out. apparently apple are good with returns so shouldn't be a problem if i'm not happy with it, right?

Number45

i really want to get a 6S+ but keep getting put off when people are always saying it doesn't perform as well as the 6S due to lag/frame drops etc.

it's either 6S+ now or wait for the 7S+ and of course that's not gonna be for another 2 years.

how are you enjoying your 6S+? i'm thinking of just getting one and trying it out. apparently apple are good with returns so shouldn't be a problem if i'm not happy with it, right?
Are you going to be comparing it side to side with a standard 6S? As you say, just pick it up and see how you get on with it - personally I came from a 4S and it's blazing fast in comparison.

Gaaraz

How do you guys transfer photos and videos to your PC?

I've used Dropbox before which was really reliable, but I like to take the time to sort through my collection on my phone (and edit things via Snapseed) rather than editing on Dropbox.

iCloud doesn't upload on my home WiFi and I don't have data, plus the iCloud app is really flaky on my PC.

Plugging it into the PC seemed logical but everything is stored in weird folders and jumbled up. I can get around the folders by searching for * but it doesn't stop the fact they're in a really bizarre order.

Are there any other options I've missed? Thank you :)

Lexxism

When your iPhone is locked (and with Apple Pay set up) double clicking the Home button brings up Apple Pay ready to use with your selected card. Is that what you mean?
I'm not talking about Apple Pay but the loyalty cards on wallet. Can you access those cards through lock screen or is it only for Apple Pay(credit card etc)?

Red

The 6s is noticeably smoother, but iOS is still a great experience on the 6s+. It's not as if the phone performs poorly.

Weevilone

I'm not talking about Apple Pay but the loyalty cards on wallet. Can you access those cards through lock screen or is it only for Apple Pay(credit card etc)?

Unfortunately I haven't used wallet with any loyalty cards, but I thought the lock screen access was just for Apple Pay. Hopefully someone else can assist. Guess I'll be looking into it for my own use as well.

Apt101

After having been enamored with Android for a few (several?) years I decided to get an iPhone 6s yesterday. My Nexus 5 got scratched pretty badly and I was considering replacing it with a Nexus 5x. But after having not dealt with an iOS phone for a long while I decided to give the 6 a look at BestBuy.

I surprised myself with how much I liked the design. It's the perfect size for me. The build felt of such high quality that I wouldn't need, nor want, a case. The UI has improved a bit since I used an iPhone 5 - noticeably aping some things Google does with Now - but it all seemed more elegant, cleaner, and easier on the eyes than I remember. The finger print reader "just works" and works quickly.

What really sold it for me in the end was the speed. Doing quick and dirty comparisons of tasks between the latest Samsung phone (forgot the model), a friend's 5x, and the 6s, the 6s was faster than the others by a noticeable amount.

After factoring in the rewards from my BestBuy credit card and burning a leftover gift card from my birthday I only paid $580-something for a 16 GB space grey 6s. I'm really happy with it.

ekim

When I force touch the bezel to open the multitasker how does the phone know I want to go back one item or open up the overview? It seems like it's kind of random (swiping slow though always goes one item back and pressing hard opens the overview - but sometimes I just peek and swiping more or less fast sometimes goes to the last app or opens the overview. hard to explain).

Apt101

When I force touch the bezel to open the multitasker how does the phone know I want to go back one item or open up the overview? It seems like it's kind of random (swiping slow though always goes one item back and pressing hard opens the overview - but sometimes I just peek and swiping more or less fast sometimes goes to the last app or opens the overview. hard to explain).

When you apply pressure and the edge appears, drag slightly to the right and take your finger off the screen to open the overview. Drag it all the way across to the right to go back to the previous app. After I did it a few times it became pretty easy. Drag a little and release.

ekim

When you apply pressure and the edge appears, drag slightly to the right and take your finger off the screen to open the overview. Drag it all the way across to the right to go back to the previous app. After I did it a few times it became pretty easy. Drag a little and release.

Thanks! Got it. :)

Btw, double tapping the home button (not pressing) and thus enabling one-hand control is a godsend. If the phone now also had a notification LED it would be perfect.

ekim

https://vid.me/4vOO

Video of my issue. Total random freeze of the screen. Home button does work. But to make the screen work again I need to turn off turn on. It's a brand new 6s from two days ago

I have the same thing. It it sorting itself out though within a few seconds. I thought this being an iOS bug as I don't know what HW failure could be the reason for this.

Lexxism

Unfortunately I haven't used wallet with any loyalty cards, but I thought the lock screen access was just for Apple Pay. Hopefully someone else can assist. Guess I'll be looking into it for my own use as well.
That pretty much explain why it's not showing up. I guess it is just for Apple Pay and not meant for loyalty cards. Thanks.

edit: Is there anyone here who bought those knockoff apple case from ebay? I'm wondering how is it?

Really tempted to get a 6S+ now. My 6 is getting just killed on battery life every day and my iPad has been basically lost forever to full time use as a child/spouse device. Sounds like battery life on the + line is just much better overall?

Lexxism

Really tempted to get a 6S+ now. My 6 is getting just killed on battery life every day and my iPad has been basically lost forever to full time use as a child/spouse device. Sounds like battery life on the + line is just much better overall?
Yeah, definitely. I'm currently at 95h of standby with 9h of usage. I'm at 15% left. I think this will last till the afternoon or maybe evening :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I've had Starbucks pop up in the lock screen when I was at a Starbucks, and I swiped and the card popped up

I've had Starbucks pop up in the lock screen when I was at a Starbucks, and I swiped and the card popped up

Yeah location aware apps can appear in the bottom left corner of the lock screen. So Starbucks, SDM/Pharmaprix (Canada), Cineplex (Canada) and so on. Works on my iPhone 6. Not sure if that's just for the Wallet app though.

Apt101

Apple Pay with Cap One Wallet is smooth. Paying for stuff in a second is pretty nice. I immediately get a notification on my Moto 360 from the Wallet app telling me the amount. No more fumbling with my wallet and cards waiting for stuff to process or the chip to be read.

Red

Moderately heavy use gives me about an hour of use per 10%. I get 10hrs use easy, without needing to stress about battery.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Totally worth it. Without even turning on low power mode I'm getting 10+ hrs of use on 1 charge. And that's with playing games while listening to podcasts, browsing, and listening to spotify.

Vyer

That pretty much explain why it's not showing up. I guess it is just for Apple Pay and not meant for loyalty cards. Thanks.

edit: Is there anyone here who bought those knockoff apple case from ebay? I'm wondering how is it?

do you mean like the store cards that retailers have for points and discounts and such?

Moderately heavy use gives me about an hour of use per 10%. I get 10hrs use easy, without needing to stress about battery.

Totally worth it. Without even turning on low power mode I'm getting 10+ hrs of use on 1 charge. And that's with playing games while listening to podcasts, browsing, and listening to spotify.

Thanks guys. I will take a hard look at the 6S+. Really difficult choice because it's going to cost exactly the same as an iPad Pro, but for general use in my family the practicality of the 6S+ sounds hard to beat.

aimjay

Neo Member
New owner of a 6s here. Man I love this thing.. Been using a Nokia 1020 for the past year and a half.. Never knew what I was missing. Windows phone is so bare in apps

Now, I only got one concern. I ran basemark os and I'm getting lower score than I should in some areas. Particularly memory, I ran the test after closing all app's yet this is my score

xA7uEBr.jpg

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
How do you guys transfer photos and videos to your PC?

I've used Dropbox before which was really reliable, but I like to take the time to sort through my collection on my phone (and edit things via Snapseed) rather than editing on Dropbox.

iCloud doesn't upload on my home WiFi and I don't have data, plus the iCloud app is really flaky on my PC.

Plugging it into the PC seemed logical but everything is stored in weird folders and jumbled up. I can get around the folders by searching for * but it doesn't stop the fact they're in a really bizarre order.

Are there any other options I've missed? Thank you :)
Every few weeks or so, I just plug the phone into my MacBook Pro via lighting cable. The iCloud thing hasn't been working much for me.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So to us Team no case guys, how is your phone holding up ? My 6s+ is doing good, except for a while ago when I dropped it trying to get into the car, so it has a few dings on it, but no big deal. The 6s+ with no case is such a sleek and premium feel and the way it is intended to be used.

Vyer

Yeah, that's the one. But mrklaw said he was able to use SB card on lock screen. I probably doing something wrong lol

Yeah I have done it with the Walgreens card. The app I guess sensed I was in the store and showed me a notification about it. When I got to the checkout I held my thumb on the sensor and held the phone near the terminal and it worked fine.

I got some serious Notification Center "Today" issues, help me out iPhone GAF.

I explained everything in the attached photo. If it matters: I am also running on iOS 9.0.2 and not the latest iOS on 6 S Plus

Prob a dumb question, but you have rebooted the phone?

Edit: oop, sorry I see that's been mentioned.

jey_16

Banned
So to us Team no case guys, how is your phone holding up ? My 6s+ is doing good, except for a while ago when I dropped it trying to get into the car, so it has a few dings on it, but no big deal. The 6s+ with no case is such a sleek and premium feel and the way it is intended to be used.

So far so good, tried a case for a few days but just hated it. No dings at the moment, the only thing I have noticed is that you might get a few marks on the back but a quick wipe down fixes that

Number45

I use a pouch, which allows me some protection and to use the case naked... my only problem is how damn slippery it is. I'd actually be interested in putting some kind of transparent skin on the back for the purpose of grip alone but I haven't looked into it.

Top Bottom