• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I guess you mean 6s and 6s+. I personally wouldn't/won't buy the plus as it is right now. Minimal enhancements to the experience, and the form factor and huge bezels don't help. Maybe they'll get it better on the 7.

ya meant that

I think it's just too big but I am trying to think of how I use it and if that matters.

Are there any bumper cases for the iPhone 6 still? I really love the iPhone 5 bumper cases even if they're from China. They break easily but they always protect from minor falls and my screen hasn't cracked with one on.

ya meant that

I think it's just too big but I am trying to think of how I use it and if that matters.

For what it is worth, I ad this concern and went to an Apple Store to play with the device for about 30 minutes. In that time, I adjusted my grip and could use is ok one handed. It fit in my jeans front pocket just fine as well. I think it would be best to go to an Apple store and test it yourself (Not a Best Buy since their security clamps are so huge you can't get a good feel for the phone).

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Do they own that band? Like would they not allow it to be in a phone for another carrier?

It isn't a matter of who owns it the band. It's a matter of the chip inside isn't built to support CDMA and band 30. The manufacturer could likely build a chip to support both but it may be tough to meet the footprint, power, and heat specs required by apple.

Aurizen

I'm gonna pay full price for my phone and sell my iphone 5 on ebay with my charger case and current case hope it'll cut the cost enough haha.

Nasser

I'm so excited gonna place my preorder tonight! I'm thinking about getting the 6S+ but the thing is i'm not sure if there would a be huge difference in the battery compared to the 6S. Any ideas?

Squalor

I'm so excited gonna place my preorder tonight! I'm thinking about getting the 6S+ but the thing is i'm not sure if there would a be huge difference in the battery compared to the 6S. Any ideas?
Apple said each 6S has the same battery life as its respective predecessor.

The iPhone 6 Plus lasts a lot longer than the iPhone 6.

iNvid02

For what it is worth, I ad this concern and went to an Apple Store to play with the device for about 30 minutes. In that time, I adjusted my grip and could use is ok one handed. It fit in my jeans front pocket just fine as well. I think it would be best to go to an Apple store and test it yourself (Not a Best Buy since their security clamps are so huge you can't get a good feel for the phone).

yeah i would second this, i went to try the 6+ and walked out after 2 minutes because it was too big to use one handed (small slender hands, not too different from those hand models in videos).

also walking out of a store before buying anything feels wrong, felt like i should have bought something before leaving but everything is so expensive lol

So for the Apple Upgrade Program, will I be preordering tonight and scheduling a time on release date to come pick up the phone? I assume I will enter my credit card now and pay the first installment down when I preorder?

Squalor

So for the Apple Upgrade Program, will I be preordering tonight and scheduling a time on release date to come pick up the phone? I assume I will enter my credit card now and pay the first installment down when I preorder?
Apple said:
Launching at U.S. Apple Retail Stores. You can make a reservation online, starting at 12:01 a.m. PDT on September 12, to buy in store.
By that wording, I think you don't pay anything until launch day.

Squalor

My worry is that I'm only reserving an appointment and will be subject to whatever stock they have at the time.
On launch days (and pretty much every shipment afterward), Apple Stores always receive the most phones. And "pre-order" stock is different from waiting-in-line stock.

They try to supply the stores with as many phones as they have pre-orders. Then they go with the secondary stocking.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
3D touch looks cool and all, but to me this seems like Apple's elaborate way to make up for the lack of a back button.

Are the Home Screed 3D Touch shortcuts adaptable to your habits? For example, I'll never take a self portrait, so is the "selfie" shortcut always going to be there?

gruenel

well than I will be buying the 6S Plus!

Who else will be ordering the phone tonight? I'm so excited!

Lots of people here will :)

I'll also preorder the 6s tonight. My 4s is ready to be retired. I imagine the jump from 4s -> 6s will be insane.

I already preordered a silicone case and the docking station from Apple yesterday. They should arrive on Monday :) I'm ready!

Squalor

How is that when it doesn't go back
The closest thing 3D Touch does to "back" is that it allows switching between apps with a gesture as opposed to double-tapping the home button.

Regardless, it's no "excuse." It looks like a very useful feature. I wish I could try it out before buying (that's always the case), but whatever.

Mortemis

Banned
With iPhones, it's possible to just swap SIMs if you're on AT&T, T-Mobile, and sometimes Verizon. Sprint is a dick and makes you contact them to activate any new phone you put the SIM into

If the AT&T model is different I'm going to be so mad. I have to activate on AT&T first just to get the phone, then cancel that line and move to T-Mobile. I wonder if I can just tell them "Yo, I'm doing the iPhone Upgrade Plan under AT&T right now, but give me a T-Mobile phone" The difference is going to be in the bands, the AT&T phone has LTE Band 30 but none of the CDMA ones, the T-Mobile phone (based on what others have said in this thread) has all the LTE bands (minus 30) and all the CDMA bands, which makes it more attractive

Where'd you get this info?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491013,00.asp

Alright, I'm now on Jump on Demand with a brand new and shiny iPhone 6+, all to just trade it in next week for a 6S+. This is so dumb, but whatever makes John Legere happy.

Any reason you got the 6+ today? T-Mobile recently confirmed that you don't need to trade in a phone to get the promotional price on JOD. You can just preorder and not have to worry about having to come back into the store to trade it in.

How should I preorder the new iPhone? The apple trade in and down payment plan thing has me confused. Can I not trade it in at Verizon anymore? I know I read something about Verizon not offering the cut prices for phones anymore.

I'm not sure what the best way to preorder and trade in would be. I have a 5s.

ya meant that

I hated my 6+ for the first day, but by the end of the weekend I was in love, and I can't ever go back to a smaller screen. You really can't use it with one hand (Reachability helps with height, not width), but I thought about it and the only time I ever use my phone with one hand is on the subway and that's for 10-15 minutes. For all other everyday situations, I use two hands.

The screen size and clarity are what did it for me. It's just on another level being able to see so much more on the screen, and the screen is 100% readable in direct sunlight as well. The battery life is (was) awesome--I could go two full days between charges with normal use, and even three if I monitored my usage. Those days are gone--I get about six hours on a charge now--but for the first six months it was a dream.

If you envision no more than 20-25% one-handed usage, I'd strongly recommend the 6s+.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Press, peek, dip in and out. Things achieved rather quickly through Android's back button.

Back button after viewing an email doesn't keep it as unread though.
I don't think it works like it at all. Not to mention all the uses like the shortcuts on the home screen.

Does anyone know if Verizon itself is running it's own trade in program where you trade in your old smartphone and buy a new phone on their installment plan and you get $200? I know they have it right now if you port in and you get $300, but I'm already an existing customer. That would be a huge decision and whether or not I would be interested in picking up a 6S+ 64GB

Thanks! You know I thought I would care about this more, since I need to upgrade through AT&T even though I'm switching to T-Mobile shortly, but if both models work the same on T-Mobile, and I'm turning the phone in in 12 months anyway, I don't really care. Resale value is null, I'm pretty much never going to switch to Sprint or Verizon, so I'm fine with it.

But for the love of god, Apple. Make the iPhone 7 just have one model

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Thanks! You know I thought I would care about this more, since I need to upgrade through AT&T even though I'm switching to T-Mobile shortly, but if both models work the same on T-Mobile, and I'm turning the phone in in 12 months anyway, I don't really care. Resale value is null, I'm pretty much never going to switch to Sprint or Verizon, so I'm fine with it.

But for the love of god, Apple. Make the iPhone 7 just have one model

Easier said than done.

It isn't entirely up to Apple. The manufacturer of one of the chips inside decides. Apple can influence the decision since they are buying huge quantities but in the end the chip manufacturer can only produce what they are able to produce.

Easier said than done.

It isn't entirely up to Apple. The manufacturer of one of the chips inside decides. Apple can influence the decision since they are buying huge quantities but in the end the chip manufacturer can only produce what they are able to produce.

There's always a technical reason, I know, but you can't stop my hopes and dreams

TxdoHawk

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491013,00.asp

Any reason you got the 6+ today? T-Mobile recently confirmed that you don't need to trade in a phone to get the promotional price on JOD. You can just preorder and not have to worry about having to come back into the store to trade it in.

I want to call at midnight to lock in my pre-order so I don't have to go deal with the hordes at a T-Mobile store tomorrow, my understanding is that you can only do that if you are already an existing JoD customer.

funkypie

Banned
Anyone else find it sad that Apple rebrands a similar phone with slightly better specs and people go ape shit for it. I bet there are people out there buying out their 6 and 6+ contracts just to get the 6s when it is the same phone...

Erebus

Anyone else find it sad that Apple rebrands a similar phone with slightly better specs and people go ape shit for it. I bet there are people out there buying out their 6 and 6+ contracts just to get the 6s when it is the same phone...
I can't tell whether you're trolling or if you're being serious with this.

Yep, same phone, no differences. They spent 30 minutes of their keynote just saying "Also this is the same. This is the same. This is the same" over and over again

JaseMath

1435899296875.gif

You could argue this some years, but this is probably the most substantial "incremental upgrade" iPhone has ever had.

JaseMath

Double post. Sorry.

iMax

This is easily the biggest jump we've had in an iPhone S iteration. It's not the "same phone".

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
As someone who goes to the gym daily, I can't imaging lugging around a 6+. Shit would barely fit in my pocket.

Gotta ditch those skinny jeans and hotpants. This phone fits into my wife's pants easily and she is a pretty petite gal.

Mortemis

Banned
I want to call at midnight to lock in my pre-order so I don't have to go deal with the hordes at a T-Mobile store tomorrow, my understanding is that you can only do that if you are already an existing JoD customer.

Well, shit. I talked to a rep right now and she said you can start a new JOD on the phone without being a current JOD customer, but she also quoted me the older prices so idk if what she said was right.

Only reason I didn't get the plan before was because of a big down payment I had to put down for a phone I'll only have for a quick sec. I'll try to get the right info but if I can't I'll just go down first thing tomorrow.

Edit: got an email from them basically saying what you're saying. :( Guess I'll be at the T-Mobile store next to my house first thing in the morning. :(

A big down payment? Why not just get a 16gb model since it doesn't require a down payment. Then when you get the 6S, then pay the payment and upgrade the storage. Well, unless you have bad credit. Then I guess you have a down payment either way.

I don't have good credit and am 3 months away from qualifying for zero down.

Top Bottom