• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
As someone who goes to the gym daily, I can't imaging lugging around a 6+. Shit would barely fit in my pocket.

As someone who also goes to the gym 4 days a week (and runs outside of the gym), the standard 6/6s size is juuuuuust right.

I guess going to the gym shrinks your hands and makes your pockets go away?

Well, shit. I talked to a rep right now and she said you can start a new JOD on the phone without being a current JOD customer, but she also quoted me the older prices so idk if what she said was right.

Only reason I didn't get the plan before was because of a big down payment I had to put down for a phone I'll only have for a quick sec. I'll try to get the right info but if I can't I'll just go down first thing tomorrow.

A big down payment? Why not just get a 16gb model since it doesn't require a down payment. Then when you get the 6S, then pay the payment and upgrade the storage. Well, unless you have bad credit. Then I guess you have a down payment either way.

Yea, after trying it out at the store I'm leaning heavily towards the 6S. I'd take something huge to get me to change my mind. Now I need to decide on the color, I was thinking gold since my iPad is gold as well but that rose gold looks pretty damn good in photos.

While I was trying out both phones 2 people walked up to the employee next to me and bought 6, thought it was kind of weird seeing how the S drops soon and the 6 price drop hasn't gone live.

mkenyon

Banned
I guess going to the gym shrinks your hands and makes your pockets go away?
No, but being active with a much larger device in your pocket is a total PITA.

I went through it with my previous phone. It was so annoying, that I actually bought an iPod Touch for working out.

So will this be the first iphone that stops working as intended with even a slightly cracked screen? There's no way 3D Touch will work with a crack in the screen if its measuring minute changes in the distance between sensors and glass.

Anth0ny

Gotta ditch those skinny jeans and hotpants. This phone fits into my wife's pants easily and she is a pretty petite gal.

Never!

GO with 6s. 6s 64GB = 6s+ 16GB

Yup, that's the plan :)

As someone who also goes to the gym 4 days a week (and runs outside of the gym), the standard 6/6s size is juuuuuust right.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Any bigger than that gets in the way, I feel like. I already have to modify my standing bicep curls as it is. I actually broke a blackberry by accidentally hitting it in my pocket with a dumbbell... been paranoid ever since.

Buy an Apple Watch.

I have one!

I don't think the mini lockers at the gym are even wide enough to hold a 6+ lol. Any further than that I think the phone would be out of the watch's range.

Got off the phone with AT&T Business, and I just have to call back tomorrow morning to place the orders. Yay!

I'm going with the Plus. If I didn't spend as much time with it in the Apple store this morning playing with it, getting used to it, I probably would have gone with the smaller model. I can use it with one hand ok, but the screen is just so nice, as is the camera, and the battery life is a big deal for me since I've been struggling for the last year with my 5S to go through a day without charging it twice. It's also going to be nice to NOT have a battery case on the phone while on trips and vacations. And, it fits in my front pants pockets just fine (I guess I wear loose pants or have deep pockets because I don't understand what types of pants people are wearing that wouldn't accommodate the phone... heck, I can even fit my 3DS XL in my pants pockets, but its thickness makes it tight).

Now I just need to decide on a case. I'm leaning toward the Apple leather case, as it is very slim and looks nice, and I have never dropped an electronic device in my entire life (including a television remote control) so I don't need extensive drop protection; I just need something that will make it more grippy and looks nice. I don't know how the silicon cases feel, but I don't usually like the rubber feeling on my fingers, so that's probably out. And, for my 5S, I had a BookBack leather skin, so I am accustomed to that sensation. Any leather case suggestions?

I'm also not going to get AppleCare. From what I've read, if I have to replace the screen or the battery just once in the life of the phone, which I doubt I will even need to do, it's the same price as AppleCare + transaction fee. AppleCare seems to make sense if you use it twice, though. Is that accurate? I should have asked at the store but I forgot, but what are the costs to replace a battery or screen outside of warranty?

Yea, after trying it out at the store I'm leaning heavily towards the 6S. I'd take something huge to get me to change my mind. Now I need to decide on the color, I was thinking gold since my iPad is gold as well but that rose gold looks pretty damn good in photos.

While I was trying out both phones 2 people walked up to the employee next to me and bought 6, thought it was kind of weird seeing how the S drops soon and the 6 price drop hasn't gone live.

The employee didn't tell them about the new stuff?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So will this be the first iphone that stops working as intended with even a slightly cracked screen? There's no way 3D Touch will work with a crack in the screen if its measuring minute changes in the distance between sensors and glass.

Really interesting question.
I guess we'll see soon.

Guy on TMobile CS just told me I'd have to get my phone in store to get JUMP! On demand as a new customer and therefore can't participate in the pre order. Any truth to this?

Also lol @ them not having prices. It's clearly on their website.

I'm also not going to get AppleCare. From what I've read, if I have to replace the screen or the battery just once in the life of the phone, which I doubt I will even need to do, it's the same price as AppleCare + transaction fee. AppleCare seems to make sense if you use it twice, though. Is that accurate? I should have asked at the store but I forgot, but what are the costs to replace a battery or screen outside of warranty?

It extends the warranty to two years including battery coverage. It's usually worth it.

Mortemis

Banned
Guy on TMobile CS just told me I'd have to get my phone in store to get JUMP! On demand as a new customer and therefore can't participate in the pre order. Any truth to this?

Also lol @ them not having prices. It's clearly on their website.

Just got emailed this document, saying new activations & upgrades at the store and upgrades only over the phone, which sucks. I know they said they're giving priority to JOD customers but who knows, I hope at least I can have it shipped to my house from the store instead of having to come back on launch day. :(

edit: Just really understood your post, if you're question is if you can open a whole new account and pre-order, that I don't know.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Any bigger than that gets in the way, I feel like. I already have to modify my standing bicep curls as it is. I actually broke a blackberry by accidentally hitting it in my pocket with a dumbbell... been paranoid ever since.

I basically was in the same situation, but I recently got handed down an iPod touch 5G which still works perfectly fine with just listening to music & apple music, so I'll just use that at the gym.

Sarye

Going by the apple.com prices it seems it has. 549 for base model where original was 649

Just got emailed this document, saying new activations & upgrades at the store and upgrades only over the phone, which sucks. I know they said they're giving priority to JOD customers but who knows, I hope at least I can have it shipped to my house from the store instead of having to come back on launch day. :(

edit: Just really understood your post, if you're question is if you can open a whole new account and pre-order, that I don't know.

I basically was in the same situation, but I recently got handed down an iPod touch 5G which still works perfectly fine with just listening to music & apple music, so I'll just use that at the gym.
Legere's making this big deal about how great his 6s deal is but he's making it hard as hell to switch over. I might call again and ask.

Does it need to be purchased at the time of the phone, or can I do it within the first week or 14 days or month? And, do I need to do it through Apple or can it be done through AT&T?

First 30 days and you have to take it to an Apple store for inspection if you don't buy it with the phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yo I can't buy this unlocked? I have to select a carrier? Whyyyyy

Yo I can't buy this unlocked? I have to select a carrier? Whyyyyy

Unlocked phones always come a couple months later

If you can somehow swing it through a carrier, it seems likely that the phones that you get through T-Mobile/Sprint/Verizon will wind up being the SIM-free ones later. Just you know, they come with a SIM.

AT&T is the odd one out, this time

FStop7

Banned
What's a fair price to ask for my 64 gig iPhone 6? Space Gray. Perfect condition, zero scratches.

Gazelle's offer is $374. Is it worth it trying to sell private party?

If you can somehow swing it through a carrier, it seems likely that the phones that you get through T-Mobile/Sprint/Verizon will wind up being the SIM-free ones later. Just you know, they come with a SIM.

You lost.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I don't even want to bother with a carrier. I just want to buy the phone. So fucking weak.

madmook

This will be my first time buying an iPhone at full price, and from all I've read thusfar, buying the tmobile one from Apple should get me an unlocked phone.

Bboy AJ

You can buy it unlocked on day-one if you go with Apple's Upgrade Program as long as AT&T isn't your carrier.
The thing is why do I even need to select a carrier at all? There's no straight up buy option.

They way I've interpreted the upgrade program, I can map the unlocked sim to my carrier under my pre-existing plan, right?

Should be able to, but who is your carrier? Are you on a device payment plan through them right now?

The thing is why do I even need to select a carrier at all? There's no straight up buy option.

They always wait a couple months to introduce the device-only options. I think it's to keep the carriers happy, honestly.

Squalor

To people buying via the Upgrade Program, keep in mind Apple's fine print states that carrier upgrade fees (should your carrier have one) will still apply.
The Apple Upgrade Program doesn't go live until 12:01 p.m.

Regardless, Apple isn't going to just sell you the phone without a carrier option. They never have at launch.

Yep, I need advice with this T-mobile account creation, switch-over from sprint (thus reimbursement needed), and pre-order for tonight. Kind of a lot of work...

JCreasy

Should be able to, but who is your carrier? Are you on a device payment plan through them right now?

I'm on an att grandfather unlimited, 2 year contract, won't be eligible for re-up through att until April.

Hoping to sign up with Apple on that annual upgrade program. Sell my 6 to help pay toward the remainder of my att subsidized plan.

Where my Rose Gold bruhs at?

Right here my dude. My wife said its OK. WOoh Wooh!

Squalor

I'm on an att grandfather unlimited, 2 year contract, won't be eligible for re-up through att until April.

Hoping to sign up with Apple on that annual upgrade program. Sell my 6 to help pay toward the remainder of my att subsidized plan.
According to Apple's spec sheet, the AT&T phone isn't unlocked.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Can't you just choose a carrier and pick the Pay In Full option?

Then you basically get the unlocked phone and don't have to sign up for a contract.

Obviously you'd pick the ATT one for ATT only and any other for the other carriers.

Bboy AJ

It's obnoxious. I'm not a poor who can't just drop a G on a phone at a whim. I can. So I should be able to. I don't want to craigslist a scalper's alcohol habit, either.

Then you basically get the unlocked phone and don't have to sign up for a contract.

Obviously you'd pick the ATT one for ATT only and any other for the other carriers.
Ideally. But I'm not sure if it works like that.

Then yes, if you wanted to do Apple's iPhone Upgrade program it won't touch your plan at all. You'd choose AT&T in-store, enter your account info, and do the upgrade program. What SHOULD happen is they'll run a credit check, approve you (if you pass), then transfer service from your current phone to your new one automatically. You'd then continue paying the same monthly fees, just on a new device, with new payments going towards Apple now

In a perfect world, yes, but forcing you to pick a carrier leads me to believe that they also make you validate that you have active service with that carrier. An article I read supports this, because they asked Apple about carrier-free options and they said they won't be available at launch

According to Apple's spec sheet, the AT&T phone isn't unlocked.

This is true as well. AT&Ts model doesn't have any CDMA bands, while T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint phones have both CDMA and LTE (minus Band 30, which AT&T uses and is only very slowly being rolled out)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's obnoxious. I'm not a poor who can't just drop a G on a phone at a whim. I can. So I should be able to. I don't want to craigslist a scalper's alcohol habit, either.

Ideally. But I'm not sure if it works like that.

Take a look at this.
They seem to have gotten "confirmation" from Apple?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/09/10/how-to-preorder-contract-free-iphone-6s-from-apple/

In a perfect world, yes, but forcing you to pick a carrier leads me to believe that they also make you validate that you have active service with that carrier. An article I read supports this, because they asked Apple about carrier-free options and they said they won't be available at launch

Interesting. Guess we'll find out soon.

Edit:

The article mentions this:

Again, you’ll need to provide some information for your wireless account, including your existing phone number, the billing ZIP code and the last four digits of your Social Security number (or a PIN code).

You cannot buy an iPhone, subsidized or not, unless you provide some information about your wireless account as this information is required to perform a credit check.

And this:

Are these unlocked iPhones?

Yes. We have confirmed with an Apple support representative that if your pre-order an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus and pay in full, that phone will be unlocked.

Arlen777

This will be my first time buying an iPhone at full price, and from all I've read thusfar, buying the tmobile one from Apple should get me an unlocked phone.

Any carrier phone that you pay full price will be unlocked
Last year when 6 came out, i was traveling back home and needed 6 phones for family as gift, so i bought 3 Verizon 2 att and 1 tmobile, all were unlocked and work worldwide no problem
If you buy them at Apple Store of course
Got off the phone with AT&T Business, and I just have to call back tomorrow morning to place the orders. Yay!

I'm going with the Plus. If I didn't spend as much time with it in the Apple store this morning playing with it, getting used to it, I probably would have gone with the smaller model. I can use it with one hand ok, but the screen is just so nice, as is the camera, and the battery life is a big deal for me since I've been struggling for the last year with my 5S to go through a day without charging it twice. It's also going to be nice to NOT have a battery case on the phone while on trips and vacations. And, it fits in my front pants pockets just fine (I guess I wear loose pants or have deep pockets because I don't understand what types of pants people are wearing that wouldn't accommodate the phone... heck, I can even fit my 3DS XL in my pants pockets, but its thickness makes it tight).

Now I just need to decide on a case. I'm leaning toward the Apple leather case, as it is very slim and looks nice, and I have never dropped an electronic device in my entire life (including a television remote control) so I don't need extensive drop protection; I just need something that will make it more grippy and looks nice. I don't know how the silicon cases feel, but I don't usually like the rubber feeling on my fingers, so that's probably out. And, for my 5S, I had a BookBack leather skin, so I am accustomed to that sensation. Any leather case suggestions?

Wait, they have 6s display models already in Apple Stores?

Take a look at this.
They seem to have gotten "confirmation" from Apple?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/09/10/how-to-preorder-contract-free-iphone-6s-from-apple/

Interesting. Guess we'll find out soon.

From the article you linked:

Tip: If you are purchasing previous iPhone models, click the SIM-free option which is literally the same as Pay in Full.

This is not true. Technically speaking the internals of the device are the same, yes. But when you select a SIM-free option on the old phones they just ship you the device, while when you select a carrier and choose Pay In Full that device ships with that carrier's SIM, and it makes you activate it through the carrier first. This is why I don't believe there are carrier-free options at launch

From the article I mentioned earlier: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491013,00.asp

If you really want the freedom to switch between carriers, wait a few weeks for the formally unlocked phones to appear. Right now, Apple tells me it is not selling formally unlocked iPhones by pre-order. "Apple may add it, but as of right now it is not available," a retail rep said.

Top Bottom