• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Bloodrage

Banned
Does the Rose Gold color look darker in person? Just looks like light pink in pictures, with a fancier name than "light pink." Still light pink to me.

So I just called Apple, and the rep said that being on a current device payment plan through a carrier (like AT&T Next) shouldn't impede being able to sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program

I think that's been pretty much confirmed. I guess the only thing now is if you set up a reservation are you guaranteed a phone on Sept 25... How are they going to ensure everyone that reserves gets the device they want?

Seems to me, if you reserve, you be preordering at the store and may have to wait another week or two for second shipment.

RDreamer

You guys got me looking at T-Mobile now, and it's tempting. Their $80 unlimited is basically what I'm grandfathered into with AT&T. Don't know about the coverage, though. Their lifetime guarantee doesn't mean much because if i'm not satisfied I can't get my plan back with AT&T. I'd have to go to Sprint. My fiancé has Sprint and while it's not bad coverage, it's very noticeably worse than my AT&T now.

Also, does anyone know if their monthly payment plan for the iPhone 6s+ is for the 16gb or 64 or what? It says 16 on the 6s, but nothing on the plus.

I think that's been pretty much confirmed. I guess the only thing now is if you set up a reservation are you guaranteed a phone on Sept 25... How are they going to ensure everyone that reserves gets the device they want?

Seems to me, if you reserve, you be preordering at the store and may have to wait another week or two for second shipment.

It seemed logical in my head, but someone posted a quote from Apple's site that made it seem dubious. I wouldn't take it as an absolute certainty what this rep said (not everyone knows everything 100%) but I feel better about my purchase process once I got that info

Reserving does two things: one, you pick a time you want to go into the store to complete your order on or after 9/25, two it actually does reserve you that phone you choose. If you don't show up to your reservation time within three hours, it goes back into general stock

It seemed logical in my head, but someone posted a quote from Apple's site that made it seem dubious. I wouldn't take it as an absolute certainty what this rep said (not everyone knows everything 100%) but I feel better about my purchase process once I got that info

Reserving does two things: one, you pick a time you want to go into the store to complete your order on or after 9/25, two it actually does reserve you that phone you choose. If you don't show up to your reservation time within three hours, it goes back into general stock

...YASSSSS!

derek212

Can I preorder in the Apple Store app and have the phone Mailed home ? Or do I have to go to an Apple Store to finish the order ?

Thanks

StillEdge

I wish they didn't take the store down so early so I could have made sure to update all my info on the app. Totally forgot. 🙈🖕🏽

That moment when you decided not to preorder because you figured there would be plenty of stock at launch starts feeling like a bad idea....

:|

Mortemis

Banned
So can I get on a jump on demand plan tonight or not when I call?

Going from this site, only upgrades over the phone. I'm still gonna try since T-Mobile is probably the worst at getting the right details out and if it doesn't work I got a T-Mobile store really close to me to go to first thing in the morning.

So the T-Mobile phone when paid full price is an unlocked phone just like how things were last year, right?

I just need an unlocked phone for my out of country travels right now.

Going from this site, only upgrades over the phone. I'm still gonna try since T-Mobile is probably the worst at getting the right details out and if it doesn't work I got a T-Mobile store really close to me to go to first thing in the morning.

Would you be able to preorder in store tomorrow or do you have to wait until launch day?

So...I bought the 6+ at launch with the next program but the site says I'm not available to upgrade until the 20th??

AT&T Next resets from when you bought it. You bought the iPhone 6 on the 20th last year, so that's when it'll let you turn in your phone to upgrade

Shun

I got Verizon, Apple Store App, Apple, Target, and Best Buy ready to get orders in.

I need that Rose Gold 6S+. 2 more hours until frenzy for order.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. They'd be stupid to not let new customers hopping on JOD preorder the phones.

I guess I don't see how it would work unless you get a 6 tomorrow and then just jump to a 6s in a couple of weeks. Then you lose one of your upgrades per year if you do that.

So, I've been on ATT since the first iPhone (technically it was Cingular back then). Switching to T-Mobile because I can't abide by ATT's BS anymore.

My question is: can you switch your plan/carrier through the Apple site, or do you have to pre-order an unlocked phone and then go in to a crummy carrier store like it's the 1990's?

Juice

so apples site says access denied right now

is this normal? will it be back up at 12am pst?

Not normal. Almost certainly failed under load due to people getting the wrong midnight.

Very bad sign.

Best hope is that the static site server is totally separate architecture to the interactive shopping cart app. (It's definitely separate but I'm not convinced the app is significantly more high throughput)

Juice

So, I've been on ATT since the first iPhone (technically it was Cingular back then). Switching to T-Mobile because I can't abide by ATT's BS anymore.

My question is: can you switch your plan/carrier through the Apple site, or do you have to pre-order an unlocked phone and then go in to a crummy carrier store like it's the 1990's?

If you want T-mo to buy out your ETF you have to buy the phone from them

I have a 128GB 6+ with AT&T Next on which I owe $315. I would really like to get a 6S+ on T-Mobile (a 128GB would be fine but I can settle for a 64GB one). Is it worth it to:

Pay off my current phone.
Unlock it.
Sell it (for how much will it sell?)
Get a new line on T-Mobile
Get a new iPhone.

Or shall I just keep the one I have? The only reason I want the new one is because of the upgraded RAM (I loathe the freaking reloading of pages) and probably the new camera.

Help me, iPhone-GAF. :(

Mortemis

Banned
I guess I don't see how it would work unless you get a 6 tomorrow and then just jump to a 6s in a couple of weeks. Then you lose one of your upgrades per year if you do that.

T-Mobile has really confusing announcements, and no one (including customer service) ever seems to know everything. Like I said, best way is to try and see if it works.

Not normal. Almost certainly failed under load due to people getting the wrong midnight.

Very bad sign.

Best hope is that the static site server is totally separate architecture to the interactive shopping cart app. (It's definitely separate but I'm not convinced the app is significantly more high throughput)

This is going to be so deliciously.. f'ed up.

T-Mobile has really confusing announcements, and no one (including customer service) ever seems to know everything. Like I said, best way is to try and see if it works.

I'm sure it's going to be a great experience calling T-Mobile at the same time as 1 million other people try to do the exact same thing at midnight.

Legere is a little bit better but the fact they haven't distributed pricing to their CS reps yet is troubling.

Anyone who experienced calling T-Mobile last year, is it smart to start the call 15 mins early and hope you get on the line when the pre order begins?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Seriously I urge everyone to use the Apple Store app at midnight. Over the last few years I've bought every major preorder through the app without issue while people couldn't even get onto the website.

Just don't tell anyone else!

Ive only ever done instore purchases of iphones. What happpens when you order from the apple website? How do you for instance buy a subsidized phone if you're eligible with your carrier? Does it send you to your carrier's website?

that the static site server is totally separate architecture to the interactive shopping cart app. (It's definitely separate but I'm not convinced the app is significantly more high throughput)

FWIW, I've historically had much better results using the Apple Store app than trying to use the website. This is new territory because this is the first time their website has been under heavy load since they merged the site and store. Seems they didn't get it quite right. I'm going with the app as the best bet.

If you want T-mo to buy out your ETF you have to buy the phone from them

Ugh. The ETF only applies if you're still on contract, right? I have a 5s, so I think my contract is done on ATT.

Juice

FWIW, I've historically had much better results using the Apple Store app than trying to use the website. This is new territory because this is the first time their website has been under heavy load since they merged the site and store. Seems they didn't get it quite right. I'm going with the app as the best bet.

Ugh. The ETF only applies if you're still on contract, right? I have a 5s, so I think my contract is done on ATT.

The last two years they have not offered the T-Mobile phone for preorder via the app. Only the website. People who did the prefill thing didn't see it either.

So you're probably SOL and have to wait for the web site to work. I stayed up from 3am-7:30am last year trying to get it to work

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I can buy a 6S on contract (AT&T) through the Apple store, right? Or do I have to upgrade via the AT&T website?

Rootbeer

Banned
See, that's what I thought. I'm afraid everyone is getting their hopes up for contract-free unlocked releases tonight and I don't think it's happening

That's because people keep saying that they could do it on launch day last year. So either a bunch of people are lying, have really terrible memories or it's happening. Hoping for the later.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
See, that's what I thought. I'm afraid everyone is getting their hopes up for contract-free unlocked releases tonight and I don't think it's happening

2 year contract, you mean?

Technically every T-Mobile phone is contract free.
They even unlock it for you when you leave.

Top Bottom