• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

rizzo0

If you upgrade to a new iphone every single year..is it cheaper to just buy the phone outright and sell it for $500-600 later that year or is going the next route still better?

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
I still can't decide which color to get.

I really dig the look of the gold phone with the brown leather case. But I also like the timeless look of the spacegrey one.

Ninja Dom

If you upgrade to a new iphone every single year..is it cheaper to just buy the phone outright and sell it for $500-600 later that year or is going the next route still better?

I get the latest iPhone every year, this year will be no different.

I always sell my last iPhone immediately after I've got the new one. This year (6) and last year (5S) I sold my iPhone to my girlfriend so no big returns on the sale. But my 5, 4S and 4 sold for good prices. I always get the highest memory capacity available and that makes it attractive when selling it a year later.

Juice

But I mean, you ain't getting a T-Mobile phone tonight unless you have a service agreement. No one on AT&T is somehow going to magically get a T-Mobile phone

Wait what does this mean. What do you mean by magically? Buy a T-Mobile one at full price, plop your SIM in, go to town.

You'll be forfeiting LTE Band 30 tho

Shun

There are so many seller options now I hope we all get our phones without delay.

I'm thinking of picking up these Tunewear accessories for the 6S+ I usually go caseless with the 5S but I fell in love with Tunewear's stuff.

frame-x-frame-for-iphone-6s-plus-6-plus.jpg
frame-x-frame-for-iphone-6s-plus-6-plus.jpg
http://www.tunewear.com/en/iphone-6s-plus/361-frame-x-frame-for-iphone-6s-plus-6-plus.html
http://www.tunewear.com/en/346-cableart-series-no1-lantern.html

Wait what does this mean. What do you mean by magically? Buy a T-Mobile one at full price, plop your SIM in, go to town.

I mean, I hope there's a way for you guys to be able to buy a T-Mobile phone without having to actually have a service agreement. Last year, were you able to get a full priced T-Mobile phone without actually being ON T-Mobile?

Could you clarify that about LTE Band 30? Is that only a feature on the CDMA model? Or only supported on ATT?

Could you clarify that about LTE Band 30? Is that only a feature on the CDMA model? Or only supported on ATT?

LTE band 30 is for AT&T, it's a faster LTE that they're slowly rolling out. It's in the GSM model (the one AT&T sells) but is NOT in the CDMA model (the one everyone else sells)

Basically if you grab AT&Ts model you get Band 30, which may or may not be in your area, and you give up all the CDMA bands, meaning you can never switch to Verizon or Sprint and get 2G/3G when there's no LTE. With the CDMA phones that T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon are selling, you get all the bands out there except Band 30, which only AT&T uses

LTE band 30 is for AT&T, it's a faster LTE that they're slowly rolling out. It's in the GSM model (the one AT&T sells) but is NOT in the CDMA model (the one everyone else sells)

Thanks, that's helpful. Well, considering I'm switching from ATT because they're throttling my grandfathered unlimited data plan just for streaming Apple Music, faster LTE is not a big draw for me to stay with them. ;)

Guess Who

Banned
Apple's official statements about carrier support have been wrong for years.

Every iPhone sold since the 4S has a dual CDMA/GSM radio. This includes models where they don't officially list CDMA support. The sole radio difference between models is LTE band support. In addition, T-Mobile models sold through Apple have never required you to enter into a service agreement and have always been sold unlocked, even despite Apple claims to the contrary.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks, that's helpful. Well, considering I'm switching from ATT because they're throttling my grandfathered unlimited data plan just for streaming Apple Music, faster LTE is not a big draw for me to stay with them. ;)

T-Mobile is where it's at. Music Streaming doesn't even count towards your data on apple music through them

Yes. But not at release.
The full priced unlocked phones come a month or so later.

See, that's what I thought. I'm afraid everyone is getting their hopes up for contract-free unlocked releases tonight and I don't think it's happening

2 year contract, you mean?

Last year, I bought a T-Mobile phone day 1 online for full price and the phone I got is an unlocked phone which I was able to use right away in Canada, States and elsewhere.

I think that's been pretty much confirmed. I guess the only thing now is if you set up a reservation are you guaranteed a phone on Sept 25... How are they going to ensure everyone that reserves gets the device they want?

Seems to me, if you reserve, you be preordering at the store and may have to wait another week or two for second shipment.

See this has me worried. I want to do their unlocked monthly option since I upgrade every single year but I'm going to be pissed if I waited up to preorder a genius bar appointment to run my credit and hten hope for a phone a month down the line

Sean

Banned

Basically if you grab AT&Ts model you get Band 30, which may or may not be in your area, and you give up all the CDMA bands, meaning you can never switch to Verizon or Sprint and get 2G/3G when there's no LTE. With the CDMA phones that T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon are selling, you get all the bands out there except Band 30, which only AT&T uses

Does this apply to Apple purchases as well?

If I pre-order my phone from Apple Upgrade Program put in my AT&T phone number will I get the proper model with LTE Band 30? Or I would have to go through AT&T?

Apple's official statements about carrier support have been wrong for years.

Every iPhone sold since the 4S has a dual CDMA/GSM radio. This includes models where they don't officially list CDMA support. The sole radio difference between models is LTE band support. In addition, T-Mobile models sold through Apple have never required you to enter into a service agreement and have always been sold unlocked, even despite Apple claims to the contrary.

But is the CDMA radio active in the phones that don't list CDMA support? Because based on what the Apple site says about these new models, the only difference between the two is that the GSM one has no CDMA and has band 30, and the CDMA phone has everything except band 30. So if what you're saying is true and the AT&T phone actually has the CDMA stuff, is it active and they're just not advertising it?

An article I found (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491013,00.asp) says that the FCC listing for the GSM does have the CDMA radios, yes, but does that matter if they don't work?

Does this apply to Apple purchases as well?

If I pre-order my phone from Apple Upgrade Program put in my AT&T phone number will I get the proper model with LTE Band 30? Or I would have to go through AT&T?

Yes, if you select AT&T as your carrier when you do the iPhone Upgrade Program, they will give you the GSM version which has Band 30

Juice

I mean, I hope there's a way for you guys to be able to buy a T-Mobile phone without having to actually have a service agreement. Last year, were you able to get a full priced T-Mobile phone without actually being ON T-Mobile?

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. It's been that way ever since Apple on boarded T-Mobile

Ninja Dom

Does the Apple Store (UK) accept iTunes Gift Cards as payment for an iPhone?

Tesco's UK are selling Gift Cards at 15% off right now.

Guess Who

Banned
But is the CDMA radio active in the phones that don't list CDMA support? Because based on what the Apple site says about these new models, the only difference between the two is that the GSM one has no CDMA and has band 30, and the CDMA phone has everything except band 30. So if what you're saying is true and the AT&T phone actually has the CDMA stuff, is it active and they're just not advertising it?

An article I found (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491013,00.asp) says that the FCC listing for the GSM does have the CDMA radios, yes, but does that matter if they don't work?

It does work. Pop an active Verizon SIM into an unlocked AT&T phone and watch magic happen for yourself, if you happen to have all that handy.

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. It's been that way ever since Apple on boarded T-Mobile

Huh, good to know!

Does the Apple Store (UK) accept iTunes Gift Cards as payment for an iPhone?

Tesco's UK are selling Gift Cards at 15% off right now.

Definitely not. Apple Store gift cards can be turned into iTunes Gift Cards, iTunes Gift Cards cannot be used at an Apple Store or online

It does work. Pop an active Verizon SIM into an unlocked AT&T phone and watch magic happen for yourself, if you happen to have all that handy.

I don't have all that handy <_< But then why lie like that? Why not just sell one goddamn model if it does all the stuff anyway? An unlocked AT&T phone will be able to access Verizon's LTE network, just not their 2G/3G one, which is where the CDMA hardware is required. All the LTE hardware is the same, but not the 2G/3G

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Can I buy a Verizon iPhone 6S Plus from Apple at full price and swap in my current iPhone nano sim? I don't have direct access to my Verizon account since I'm not the primary account holder...would I need to provide that info in order to proceed with a purchase?

Guess Who

Banned
I don't have all that handy <_< But then why lie like that? Why not just sell one goddamn model if it does all the stuff anyway? An unlocked AT&T phone will be able to access Verizon's LTE network, just not their 2G/3G one, which is where the CDMA hardware is required. All the LTE hardware is the same, but not the 2G/3G

They did sell only one model for the iPhone 4S, and currently do so for iPads as well. With the iPhone 5, 5S, and 6 there was very different LTE band support between models, hence different hardware configs.

Can I buy a Verizon iPhone 6S Plus from Apple at full price and swap in my current iPhone nano sim? I don't have direct access to my Verizon account since I'm not the primary account holder...would I need to provide that info in order to proceed with a purchase?

Yes. I've done this. Verizon phones are unlocked, just pop in a GSM SIM card and you're good to go

They did sell only one model for the iPhone 4S, and currently do so for iPads as well. With the iPhone 5, 5S, and 6 there was very different LTE band support between models, hence different hardware configs.

Like, I want to believe you, but this seems so backwards. There should be three models of iPhone 6 (GSM with no CDMA, CDMA with GSM, and Unlocked with all that plus some international bands) and two models of iPhone 6S (GSM with no CDMA and CDMA with GSM)

You're saying they could just make that one model each, like all the hardware is in each of them, and they just don't?

aparisi2274

So, I am on AT&T, current on a 5S and moving to the 6S. Anyone think its more beneficial to go with the iPhone Upgrade Program, as opposed to AT&T Next? One of the biggest draws for me is the inclusion of AppleCare +

Juice

Code:
Server Name: APPLE.COM.AT.WWW.BEYONDWHOIS.COM
   IP Address: 203.36.226.2
   Registrar: INSTRA CORPORATION PTY, LTD.
   Whois Server: whois.instra.net
   Referral URL: http://www.instra.com

Server Name: APPLE.COM.BEYONDWHOIS.COM

Server Name: APPLE.COM.HACKED.BY.JAPTRON.ES
   Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com

Server Name: APPLE.COM.IS.0WN3D.BY.GULLI.COM
   IP Address: 80.190.192.39
   Registrar: COREHUB, S.R.L.
   Whois Server: whois.corehub.net
   Referral URL: http://www.corehub.net

Server Name: APPLE.COM.IS.OWN3D.BY.NAKEDJER.COM
   IP Address: 209.236.225.10
   Registrar: TUCOWS DOMAINS INC.
   Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
   Referral URL: http://www.tucowsdomains.com

Server Name: APPLE.COM.MORE.INFO.AT.WWW.BEYONDWHOIS.COM

Server Name: APPLE.COM.WAS.PWNED.BY.M1CROSOFT.COM
   IP Address: 203.206.208.201
   Registrar: REGISTER4LESS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.register4less.com
   Referral URL: http://register4less.com

Server Name: APPLE.COM.WWW.BEYONDWHOIS.COM

Server Name: APPLE.COM.WWW.ZON.COM
   IP Address: 17.172.224.47
   Registrar: DOMAINREGISTRY.COM, INC.
   Whois Server: nswhois.domainregistry.com
   Referral URL: http://www.domainregistry.com

Server Name: APPLE.COM.ZON.COM
   IP Address: 17.172.224.47
   Registrar: DOMAINREGISTRY.COM, INC.
   Whois Server: nswhois.domainregistry.com
   Referral URL: http://www.domainregistry.com

Domain Name: APPLE.COM
   Registrar: CSC CORPORATE DOMAINS, INC.
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 299
   Whois Server: whois.corporatedomains.com
   Referral URL: http://www.cscglobal.com/global/web/csc/digital-brand-services
   Name Server: ADNS1.APPLE.COM
   Name Server: ADNS2.APPLE.COM
   Name Server: NSERVER.APPLE.COM
   Name Server: NSERVER2.APPLE.COM
   Name Server: NSERVER3.APPLE.COM
   Name Server: NSERVER4.APPLE.COM
   Name Server: NSERVER5.APPLE.COM
   Name Server: NSERVER6.APPLE.COM
   Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Updated Date: 04-dec-2012
   Creation Date: 19-feb-1987
   Expiration Date: 20-feb-2021

" Server Name: APPLE.COM.HACKED.BY.JAPTRON.ES" sounds great.

Edit: Actually it does sound great. These are just bogus subdomains. and bad WHOIS searches are finding it.

So, I am on AT&T, current on a 5S and moving to the 6S. Anyone think its more beneficial to go with the iPhone Upgrade Program, as opposed to AT&T Next? One of the biggest draws for me is the inclusion of AppleCare +

And you won't ever have to deal with ATT again, just go to the Apple Store and trade in.

Though I don't know how they will handle preorders.

aparisi2274

And you won't ever have to deal with ATT again, just go to the Apple Store and trade in.

Though I don't know how they will handle preorders.

I never deal with ATT directly. I have always purchased my phones directly from Apple, especially because I am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on ATT and if I go to an ATT store to get a new iPhone, I'll lose my unlimited data.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So after reading the T&C of the Upgrade Program it's basically a never ending installment loan. I thought it would just be like a contract with Apple, not a line of credit.

I'd rather just pay full price I think.

Mideon

Just received my Oneplus Two and have an iPhone 6 Plus already... I don't need this but I want it!! Had every iPhone since the 3G on launch... Must resist!!

Juice

Ha, the only way to trade in at 12 months to get a new phone is if you then sign up for another iPhone Upgrade Program on the new one. Can't buy it outright or go through a carrier

Meh, you could just pay off the installment plan on the next one. Probably wouldn't be much of a premium over buying outright.

Top Bottom