• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

giga

This is fucking bull shit.
Corporate store couldn't do anything to fix my preorder.
And now the customer service line won't even let me join a queue.
I've been reading multiple reports of messed up orders and bills on r/tmobile. They really dropped the ball. I would probably wait it out and just accept that we're not getting launch day deliveries and ask for bill credits once this all settles down.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I've been reading multiple reports of messed up orders and bills on r/tmobile. They really dropped the ball. I would probably wait it out and just accept that we're not getting launch day deliveries and ask for bill credits once this all settles down.

To top it off my cell number is on some sort of blacklist. Customer service hangs up on my number. But I can actually get in queue with my wife's phone or with a landline.

I tweeted their Tforce and will be starting some shit for sure. I just want to preorder a couple phones damnit!

Why does Best Buy charge $50 more than Apple for the 6S+? I have a 6+ currently and I was thinking of getting a 6S+. I hadn't sold myself completely on the 6S+ to stay up until 3am to preorder. My local Best Buy has the 64gb 6S+ I'd want available for preorder with store pick up, but I'm really turned off by the extra $50 they are charging.

npa189

Ordered a 64gb S+ from at&t but they are giving me a ship date of Oct 16, any chance they will bump it up to the 25th? I did kinda order late in the game.

RDreamer

I kinda wanna see what each of you went with.

6S or 6S+

Space Gray 64gb 6S+

Should be interesting upgrading to that size. I wanted the better camera, since I use my phone camera a ton (especially for work). I also kind of liked the idea of a better screen for reading e-books, since I started reading a lot of e-books on my phone.

As of now, though, I do kind of feel like the Samsung Galaxy S6 has the perfect screen size. My fiancé just got that and I'm kind of envious. I'll probably get used to the 6S+ though.

Ninja Dom

Over 10 hours now and still no confirmation email.

Store app / site lists the order, though. Says it's being processed. Even if I look it up just through the order number it shows up and is accurate. Hopefully I'm good.

Don't worry, it will come. Mine took 7 hours to come through. I know you've waited longer but it'll come.

Newline

Space Gray 64gb 6S+

Should be interesting upgrading to that size. I wanted the better camera, since I use my phone camera a ton (especially for work). I also kind of liked the idea of a better screen for reading e-books, since I started reading a lot of e-books on my phone.

As of now, though, I do kind of feel like the Samsung Galaxy S6 has the perfect screen size. My fiancé just got that and I'm kind of envious. I'll probably get used to the 6S+ though.
Pretty much everyone gets used to the size. I got a note 3 two years ago and I now swear by the phablet size. The 400 ppi screen on the plus variations are an absolute treat too.

Kibbles

6S or 6S+
I had a Silver 6+ and am downgrading size to a Space Gray 6s. Through ATT I am eligible to upgrade for $299 only and still keep all my monthly charges the same, so after selling my current phone it'll be like a free upgrade so why not. It's 64GB as opposed to my current 16GB. The 6+ size didn't bother me, but after a year I felt the need to downsize, I feel like it'll be more comfortable. Gonna miss the battery though and it sucks the 6s didn't get a resolution bump to 1080p too. I'm really hoping this has 2GB RAM as some have said. I can't stand how bad multitasking and multi-tab browsing is on my 6+.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

6S or 6S+

6S

The Plus is not a one handed device from what I've played around with. The extra screen space is nice, but the form factor of the 6 and its ability to be used with one hand pushed me over the edge.

Originally I wanted the larger Plus size, but I'm glad I went with the 6S instead. I only regret not having the optical image stablilization and wish the resolution were a bit higher.

But this is still a decent upgrade from my 5S in terms of screen size and features. I think the size of the 6S is about perfect.

todd360

My dad is thinking about getting a 6s or buying a 6 for less money. He uses AT&T. Are there still preorders available at this point or does he have to wait if he decides on 6s?

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out.

Arlen777

The Apple Store started displaying my orders and the phone still isn't there.

Neither is my wife's on her account.

Time to panic?

MIne doesnt show up either

EDIT: Just called Apple they told me, as long as i have email confirmation, my phone is reserved, even though i dont have any order number or confirmation id in the email

Silver 6S 64GB. Coming from a Silver 5S. Didn't want a bigger phone, but no choice...maybe with the 7 gen they'll bring back a smaller phone.

Might've gone with the rose gold, but the hue seemed a bit too pink.

Went with the 6S Plus Space Grey and the Black Leather Case. First time iPhone owner and switching from Android. Currently have an Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3.

Ninja Dom

I think it's a 6s only thing

You can view them across all Apple products but only the iPhone 6S/iPhone 6S+ can take live photos at the moment.

The 6S/6S+ can take them. But will other iOS 9 devices or Apple Products also see them as Live Photos or just as a single photo?

EDIT: it looks like other Apple devices will see them as Live Photos. Nice.

Apple iPhone 6S page said:
Introducing Live Photos.
A still photo captures an instant frozen in time. With Live Photos, you can turn those instants into unforgettable living memories. At the heart of a Live Photo is a beautiful 12‑megapixel photo. But together with that photo are the moments just before and after it was taken, captured with movement and sound.

You can bring those moments to life anytime simply by pressing anywhere on the photo. You can even set your favorite Live Photo as your Lock screen wallpaper, so you can relive a moment any time you take your iPhone 6s out of your pocket. And you can view Live Photos on your other Apple devices, too.

can anyone comment on the silicone cases from apple? i had a leather one for my 5s and it was ok, but it def showed signs of wear as time went on. does the silicone case hold up? feel good in the hand?

A real noob question here, if I gave an impression of the state of my credit here would someone be able to determine if I should worry about getting approved for the Apple Upgrade Plan?

The 6S/6S+ can take them. But will other iOS 9 devices or Apple Products also see them as Live Photos or just as a single photo?

EDIT: it looks like other Apple devices will see them as Live Photos. Nice.

The problem with live photos isn't in displaying them. It's having an ISP that can handle the burst of data from the sensor. The sheer number of full sized frames and data its stuffing down the pipe is astounding. Keep in mind the EOS-1D, a $5300 camera, tops out at 14fps albeit with an 19mpx sensor. The Nikon cameras are still limited to 5fps in burst mode. The ISPs just absolutely struggle to keep up.

A raw 12mpx in RAW8 comes in about 12 megs. 1.5 seconds before and after is 46 frames at 15fps, 91 frames at 30fps. So at 15fps you need half a gig of memory to store the RAW images little alone demosaicing them and losslessly compressing them. If it's capturing at 30fps you need a gig of memory to handle just the memory requirements. Then you have to dump it off to storage while you're doing this, the iPhone 6/6+ NAND can sustained write about 80MB/sec which is a fucking astounding figure in the mobile industry (the 2014 Moto X for example was 31MB/sec). Assuming you pull 2:1 compression ratios from lossless you're still dealing with 3 full seconds of writing to NAND for a 15fps live photo and 6 seconds of writing for a 30fps live photo. So Apple might have beefed up the NAND controller to make writing faster. They're definitely moving away from TLC NAND so we might see some storage speed improvements on that front too.

But yeah, this shit is like the digital equivalent of trying to spray a firehose into a bunch of small buckets in rapid succession. It kind of pisses me off that people say stuff like "APPLE TRYING TO INNOVATE GIFS" when it's obvious that this is stupidly complex on the backend to anyone with a clue.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well shit. Almost got it sorted out.
Got T-Mobile to do the 64gb upgrade without the $99 fee. But now the e-sign agreement is messed up again.

This is getting out of hand!

garath

Preordered a 64gig rose gold 6s for my wife this morning through Verizon. She's just off contract so we're on the payment plans. Might as well. Interest free is interest free. Just trying to find a case that she likes now. No real interest in upgrading yearly. The only reason she wants a new phone is she used up the 16gigs on her 5c

edit: Free delivery on 9/25. Works for us.

Aurizen

Hope you guys enjoy your iPhone!!! I'm broke so I'll just watch what people say. I will accept paypal for gifts though haaha!

Draper

Space Gray 6s+ for me. I have a bit nervous about it to be honest

No worries. The added screen size is pretty spectacular. But honestly, I downgraded from a 6+ to a 6 after having one for about a month. Again, admiring pictures on a screen that size was great, but the regular 6 is way more comfortable to wield- just better one-handed ease. They both have their tradeoffs.

As for me, I purchased the Space Gray 64GB 6S. I mainly upgraded for the added space since I've maxed out my current 16GB 6.

Top Bottom