• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

kaskade

Kind of crazy that iPhones have been stuck with one gig and still perform just as well as most android phones with 4. I'm surprised no hands on impressions from the event really mentioned smoothness. Between content blocking and more ram Safari is going to be so fast.

If I get to the Apple Store on 9/25 and I dont get approved for the Apple Upgrade Program, I'm going to have to buy the phone cash, arent I?

giga

IXBFL6l.png

Newline

Thank god, that was my one reservation. The 6S series is confirmed godlike. Without a doubt they're going to be the best performing phones out there.

The thing about tmobile is that there's no in between. Your service will either be really awesome or total shit. I'm not in a major city but I have really great service here. On my roadtrip from NW Florida to Tennessee for some whitewhater rafting, there was a lot of no service or unusable service areas along the interstate. Worked great in Atlanta.

It's worth noting that the new iPhone supports LTE band 12, which tmobile has spent a lot of money building infrastructure for. The service quality should be a step up, but who knows how great it'lll be. Band 12 addresses the building penetration problem tmobile has had since forever.
Their network's grown a lot in recent years. Maybe it'll be near AT&T's level by the end of the decade.

Does/Did anyone have an extended range LTE phone with T-Mobile? Did it actually help? I'm looking forward to it.

LCfiner

Kind of crazy that iPhones have been stuck with one gig and still perform just as well as most android phones with 4. I'm surprised no hands on impressions from the event really mentioned smoothness. Between content blocking and more ram Safari is going to be so fast.

I don’t think many (or any) reporters do stress tests at those things. And the iPhone 6 is pretty smooth. it reloads safari pages, yeah, but it’s smooth :)

It would have been interesting if someone ran a browser tab refresh test, loading up way more pages than can be done on the 6.

Juice

Anyone have any pro-tips for trading in their iPhones 6? I've got a quote and ship label from Amazon, but I don't love how they want all the accessories (Gazelle doesn't ask for them, but Amazon gives more money).

I really don't have the time to deal with customer service of individual buyers listing on ebay/amazon, etc.

Advice?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does Safari scroll slowly for anyone else on the 6+? I have been using Mercury because of the terribly slow scrolling in Safari but don't know if something else is wrong. Scrolling is fine on my iPad in Safari.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Does Safari scroll slowly for anyone else on the 6+? I have been using Mercury because of the terribly slow scrolling in Safari but don't know if something else is wrong. Scrolling is fine on my iPad in Safari.

It is definitely smoother scrolling in the Adblock plus browser.

What are the stocks like in the stores at launch? Would it be possible to pick one up a few days after launch?

It's much harder to tell this year because in store reservations featured heavily with the launch. I would not be surprised if there were no walk-in sales at all on launch day.

Keep in mind that Apple went to full memory compression in iOS 7 while Android's support for turning on Zram by default has been hit and miss between vendors.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
SO glad I'm on the "S" cycle of revisions. They seem to have the more substantial updates, while the base revisions tend to mainly just overhaul the aesthetic design.

iPhone 5S -> iPhone 6 mostly just a larger screen and new form factor, integrates the touch sensor and does add ApplePay which was probably the biggest new feature. Still 1 GB of RAM, and the processor difference isn't really worth caring about between revisions at this point (IMO).

iPhone 6 - iPhone 6s -> 2GB of RAM for a smoother web browsing experience, biggest change to the way we interface with phones since Multi-Touch with Touch 3D (this is going to be a big improvement after you get used to it, I believe...and of course regular iOS updates will make it even better), and an improved touch sensor.

I figure the iPhone 7 will bring with it a new design, but will probably still have 2GB of RAM, same Touch 3D capabilities, etc. I'll be interested in seeing what's actually new and improved other than the camera or processor, but my guess is it won't be worth upgrading again until the 7S.

I complained about the RAM on previous iPhones, but with the 5s and certainly iPhone 6, I've rarely noticed any problems.

What are people using their phones for? lol

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I complained about the RAM on previous iPhones, but with the 5s and certainly iPhone 6, I've rarely noticed any problems.

What are people using their phones for? lol

The refreshing issue is annoying if you do a lot of multitasking.

People who have the iPad with 2GBs (vs. 1GB), did that resolve most of the refreshing issues?

Anyone on the $30 tmo plan thinking of doing the Apple upgrade program? Seems to be the best way to do it. I'm not really in a position to be paying 750 upfront soon and my nexus 5 has hit its last legs.

jaydogg691

I never knew how bad the ram situation was on iPhone until I got my 6 Plus. After using Android phones with 2+ gigs of ram and using my Air 2 for about a year, multitasking on the 6 Plus is non existent.

2GBs on a non 1080p screen will make the iOS experience much better. Good thing I went for the 6S.

Redmoon

Nice to know the phones have 2GB of ram. Will be waiting for my 2yr contract to end on October 7 before I upgrade the the 6s+. Even if I ordered now, I'd be waiting for a month before I get mine through ATT Next.

The hand on/real world impressions and possible issues will be nice to know beforehand at least.

kaskade

Between the 12 mp camera, 5 mp front camera, 2 gb of ram, and 3d touch this is a really solid update.

I feel like the s upgrades aren't the immediately noticeable ones since they tend to be physically the same but provide some of the best updates. Touch ID was a game changer on the 5s. I can't imagine using a phone without it.

Wonder if its cheaper to do yearly upgrades with Apple's upgrade program or with Verizon. About to pay off my current iPhone 6 so I can explore other carriers if I find something good. Despite Verizon being expensive the service has worked for me flawlessly just about everywhere I've travelled. Conflicted.

Enco

There are too many people saying iOS9 is laggy on the 6+.

Not sounding good. I can't deal with lag. Hopefully the S+ is ok.

LCfiner

There are too many people saying iOS9 is laggy on the 6+.

Not sounding good. I can't deal with lag. Hopefully the S+ is ok.

I can’t imagine it being too laggy. I’ve been running the beta (and now 9.1) on the mini 2 and it runs ok. the 9.0 beta had some keyboard lag but seems ok on 9.1 now.

and the A8 6+ is faster than the mini 2 and is drawing fewer pixels.

Top Bottom