• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Dany

Banned
Anyone in the Philly area?

Think our phones will be delayed? The pope is supposed to have everything on lock down.

That would be hilarious if the pope caused delays in iphones.

I doubt it severely haha, unless there is some article presuming otherwise.

SeanR1221

That would be hilarious if the pope caused delays in iphones.

I doubt it severely haha, unless there is some article presuming otherwise.

I'm not joking when I say the city and surrounding areas are on lock down.

A lot of businesses are closed too.

SeanR1221

yeh i'd imagine delivery drivers will be slowed to the point where they won't make it to all their drop offs that day or weekend.

I guess the question is when do the phones come in? If it's the day(s) before things should hopefully be ok

I also had to forgo ordering at the Philly Center City store which is a bummer. My wife and I really liked getting our phones there last year and then grabbing a bite to eat in he city.

Think our phones will be delayed? The pope is supposed to have everything on lock down.

I work logistics for a large drug wholesaler. Were having to plan all around the pope becasue we will be unable to delivery to pharmacies and hospitals in the metro areas. AKA were fucked.

SeanR1221

I work logistics for a large drug wholesaler. Were having to plan all around the pope becasue we will be unable to delivery to pharmacies and hospitals in the metro areas. AKA were fucked.

Yeah my buddy is a pharm tech and was told to not work that weekend. What do you do if you need your meds!!

Aurizen

I'm from Philly too... Good luck trying to get one that day, the city will be completely blocked off. Better if you get it from your carrier in store or walk lol

Katori

Well I finally made the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile (they have been getting a lot better since I switched from T-Mobile to them upon release of the iPhone 5) and got my 6S Plus preordered. I really think this is going to be much better for me--I routinely go over my Verizon data but almost all of it is music streaming, which (for Apple and Spotify) doesn't count towards your cap on T-Mobile.

I'm looking forward to the increased RAM and front-camera of the 6S Plus. I really, really wish they'd let us do some kind of on-screen multitasking, even just PIP, on the 6S Plus though. Watching a YouTube video while browsing GAF, Twitter or Reddit would be killer.

Agent_J

To upgrade from a perfect working 5S or not...? I love all the upgrades but man, I just do not like the look of the 6/6S models at all. The T-Mobile deal is simply too good to pass up, though..

Bloodrage

Banned
The only problem I have with the color options is that the face of the phone is always white.

I would love to pick up the gold if the face was black. That white front is ugly as fuck though. Especially the top part with the front camera and stuff.
Same here. I was forced to go with space grey because it's the only one with a black face. I would have gone with gold if the face weren't white. Too bad.

I like a white phone a whole bunch because of how much it pops in comparison to the black.
For me it's the opposite. A screen doesn't pop against a white background.

Aurizen

Well I finally made the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile (they have been getting a lot better since I switched from T-Mobile to them upon release of the iPhone 5) and got my 6S Plus preordered. I really think this is going to be much better for me--I routinely go over my Verizon data but almost all of it is music streaming, which (for Apple and Spotify) doesn't count towards your cap on T-Mobile.

I'm looking forward to the increased RAM and front-camera of the 6S Plus. I really, really wish they'd let us do some kind of on-screen multitasking, even just PIP, on the 6S Plus though. Watching a YouTube video while browsing GAF, Twitter or Reddit would be killer.

the new iPhone has PIP?

Arlen777

The only problem I have with the color options is that the face of the phone is always white.

I would love to pick up the gold if the face was black. That white front is ugly as fuck though. Especially the top part with the front camera and stuff.

Man we are on the same team, thats what i said couple pages ago, what i am thinking to do after i pickup my 6s+ SpaceGray is to send it to one of those places where they Anodize your phone to a different color, i was going to get Gold iPhone and swap the screen, but that would void AppleCare+

Number45

I've been using white iPhones since my first, but as the next phone is going to have such a huge screen and I see me consuming more media on it I'm definitely going for the Space Grey due to the black front.

Which is a shame, because surprisingly I don't hate the Rose Gold.

if it want a unlocked set from apple right now, is getting the verizon option, selecting no plan then paying in full the best way to go? because i heard verizon sets are unlocked

or tmobile?

derek212

If you're using iCloud purely for storage, no. If you're using iCloud Photo Library, yes. iCloud Photo Library essentially syncs ALL your photos to all your devices running it, so they all share everything. For example, I have it turned on, so my Mac, iPhone, and iPad all show the same photos in the same order: it's the same library, synced through iCloud. Since that's the way the program is supposed to work, if I were to delete a photo off one device, it deletes it off every device

However, if you were to to just use iCloud as storage, like you make a folder called "Photos" and put photos in there, then it's not syncing with any library in particular. It's just storage

(The other thing you can use is Photo Stream, where a photo you take on one device gets automatically downloaded to all your other devices on the same Apple ID. If you then save the photo from the Photo Stream to that device's Camera Roll, you can safely delete it from the Photo Stream without removing it from the Camera Roll. Photo Stream = temporary iCloud storage that pushes your photos to your devices, Camera Roll = that specific device's local storage)

How can I use I cloud as a storage ? I want to save my photos from my phone to iCloud and then delete from my phone.

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm not a fan of iphones, just too locked down for me. But my wife wants to switch back, mostly because her friends all have iphones, and messaging is kinda glitchy between ios and android. I'd probably switch too, I'm to the point now that I could use a flip phone and be perfectly content.

Then we went away for a bit, and she realized just how awesome and essential the GPS is, in any smart phone really. Now she's afraid to switch, because of how awesome Google maps is.

Please keep the fanboyism in your pocket, and give an honest answer. Just how big is the gap, and is there any chance Google maps will be on iphone again? I know you can use the browser, but it's not the same.

I'm not a fan of iphones, just too locked down for me. But my wife wants to switch back, mostly because her friends all have iphones, and messaging is kinda glitchy between ios and android. I'd probably switch too, I'm to the point now that I could use a flip phone and be perfectly content.

Then we went away for a bit, and she realized just how awesome and essential the GPS is, in any smart phone really. Now she's afraid to switch, because of how awesome Google maps is.

Please keep the fanboyism in your pocket, and give an honest answer. Just how big is the gap, and is there any chance Google maps will be on iphone again? I know you can use the browser, but it's not the same.
.....Google Maps is on iPhone unless I'm missing something.

How can I use I cloud as a storage ? I want to save my photos from my phone to iCloud and then delete from my phone.

You'll be able to do that on September 16th as a part of iOS9. You'll be able to enable an iCloud Drive app, so just open that up, make a folder, and start uploading

There's a Google Maps app on the App Store. Google puts a LOT of apps on the App Store. They're an advertising/services company, they don't care about not having things on iOS. Hell, you can now use Android Wear on iOS too

Last year I just walked into the Domain Apple Store (Austin, TX), and picked up a 6. No reservations, or anything. I expect to do the same this year.

Yeah, the Apple Stores have some stock for non-preorders, but it won't be a ton

saelz8

Last year I just walked into the Domain Apple Store (Austin, TX), and picked up a 6. No reservations, or anything. I expect to do the same this year.

Zizbuka

Banned
.....Google Maps is on iPhone unless I'm missing something.

Wasn't there a big hubbaloo a couple of years ago, that Apple disabled Google maps and made their own. I remember it was directing people to Lake Michigan or something.

If it's back on, the native app that is, then that's a big positive.

it's never coming to iphone. Google is dumb enough to block out the largest market share of smartphones

9W3O5qz.jpg

Wasn't there a big hubbaloo a couple of years ago, that Apple disabled Google maps and made their own. I remember it was directing people to Lake Michigan or something.

If it's back on, the native app that is, then that's a big positive.

There's the built-in Maps app, which Apple launched, but you can download Google Maps from the App Store. It's not able to be set as the default, so if you ever tell Siri to map somewhere she'll use the built-in Maps, but Google Maps is most definitely an option

Zizbuka

Banned
There's the built-in Maps app, which Apple launched, but you can download Google Maps from the App Store. It's not able to be set as the default, so if you ever tell Siri to map somewhere she'll use the built-in Maps, but Google Maps is most definitely an option

Thank you. I'll tell the wifey poo, she'll be ecstatic.

Vyer

Is that a smart ass response? Oh, it's Kurt Angle..........

So what was the big uproar before? Just that Google maps wasn't the default?

It was a big uproar because Apple. Apple Maps isn't as good as Google Maps. It's much improved since then, but still not as good. It may work perfectly fine for your needs. Apple stopped using Google as their default, but other than that Google has their own Maps app in the App Store that works great. As mentioned, it can't be the default for, say, Siri directions, but it is fully functional and frequently updated by Google.

Shun

Is that a smart ass response? Oh, it's Kurt Angle..........

So what was the big uproar before? Just that Google maps wasn't the default?

It was because prior to 2012, Google Maps was the default for iOS devices.

Since then Apple has switched to their own proprietary mapping service and the stock Maps application on iOS is fantastic. Nothing like when it first launched with a few errors.

The Apple Maps app is full featured and it takes up less battery and resources than Google Maps.

I love using it as it's very convenient and it functions great as a GPS.

I just got a text from AT&T saying my order has been processed. Bizarre since I got two email confirmations the second I placed my order, which was at 3 a.m. on the 12th.

It just works®.

You don't have to delete anything. It auto-manages your space for you. But if you delete something on iCloud from your device, it's gone everywhere.

This isn't true. If you delete something from iCloud it just gets deleted there--it's still on your phone.

Dany

Banned
Chicago Transit was JUST added to apple maps TODAY and google has had it for years. :p

I like and trust google for all directions, especially traffic

[How can I use I cloud as a storage ? I want to save my photos from my phone to iCloud and then delete from my phone.

Just turn on iCloud backup and nothing else (though you can turn on Photo Stream as well and it doesn't count against iCloud storage, but you're limited to the most recent 1,000 pics/videos (reduced quality) and it only starts working once you turn Photo Stream on. For example, if you have 300 pictures and turn Photo Stream on, it won't upload those 300 pictures).

Anyway, Settings --> iCloud --> Backup --> On, then go back to ICloud and then to Storage --> Manage Storage --> Click on your phone's name --> Under Next Backup Size it tells you what's going to be backed up. Make sure Photos is On.

Lima

Google maps pff. HERE Maps by Nokia is the real deal. There is a reason the three biggest automobile makers paid billions to buy it.

Sarye

I always use google maps but recently I tried out apple maps because I needed quick directions home with siri and it really has improved a lot.

I probably will still use google maps though for traffic directions and rerouting.

edit: not sure if posted here, but it's been confirmed that the iphone 6s is 2GB Ram according to XCode source

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Really torn on wether I get the plus model or
not. Anyone got some opinions on it one way or another based on the 6?

I ran into the same dilemma recently and went to the ATT store to get extensive use with both.

What I immediately found i that the 6 Plus is NOT a phone that can effectively be handled with one hand. It's simply too big. Typing with one hand is do-able, but cumbersome. You really have to stretch your thumb to reach the corners. And the double tap that brings the screen down (which is essential for one handed use) just adds another unnecessary step into the mix.

I came into the store thinking the Plus would be a no brainer, but ended up pre-ordering the regular Iphone 6S instead. Playing around with the normal phone maximizes the reach of my thumbs and is a comfortable phone to use one handed. The Plus is manageable, but there are far too many unavoidable annoyances that I would regret my decision pretty quickly had I gone that route.

Whenever I upgrade to my next phone (iPhone 7S or beyond), I just hope the resolution on the normal 4.7 inch display is larger....as I think the 4.7 inch display is the PERFECT size if you want a functional phone that's easy to use with a single hand.

Kibbles

If the phone ships via UPS you all should use UPS MyChoice (free) or type in the reference number (your phone number) maybe a day or two before it arrives and set it to in-store/warehouse pickup if you are available to do so. I do it for a lot of my packages and am able to pick up packages at 8:30am the day they're supposed to arrive.

Really torn on wether I get the plus model or
not. Anyone got some opinions on it one way or another based on the 6?

Coming from a 4.7" phone at the time, I tried both. The 6 Plus didn't really that big at first. Went with that because I felt I wanted a bigger screen for browsing and media consumption.

After a few days, got used the size. Doesn't feel big at all. My old 4.7" phone feels like a toy. Love the extra screen for studying, web browsing, productivity, etc. I can use it one handedly pretty decently. OIS, 1080p are good perks, but the battery life is incredible, and alone would be enough reason for me to recommend it over the regular 6.

HUELEN10

In what ways? Curious really. I was considering the +.

It's heavier, it's thicker, it's laggier, it's more expensive, it can't render natively at the resolution of its display.

You are paying more for an inferior phone. If the phone had better specs to compensate that would be different, but it doesn't.

Feels bad man.

Hero

So I thought existing Verizon customers could get the iPhone at the subsidized price? Tried to add it on the site but only found the monthly setup pricing.

Lexxism

If the phone ships via UPS you all should use UPS MyChoice (free) or type in the reference number (your phone number) maybe a day or two before it arrives and set it to in-store/warehouse pickup if you are available to do so. I do it for a lot of my packages and am able to pick up packages at 8:30am the day they're supposed to arrive.
I never had any luck with UPS MyChoice. It always been 1 day after its estimated date. Never got the package on the day it was estimated to be delivered but then I again I live in
Canada
. I guess that's why

Aurizen

It's heavier, it's thicker, it's laggier, it's more expensive, it can't render natively at the resolution of its display.

You are paying more for an inferior phone. If the phone had better specs to compensate that would be different, but it doesn't.

Feels bad man.

Maybe the 2 gigs of ram makes up for that.

Red

I'd like to do the Apple upgrade plan at $45/month for the 128GB 6s+ but it doesn't look like any plus model reservations are still available.

OIS is the deciding factor for me. I was thinking of going 64GB but I'm trying to plan for 4K video.

My mercy is at T-Mobile. Ordered 2 6S+ phones.

As far as the + being inferior or whatever, it's whether or not you want a bigger screen. Saying it's inferior is opinion and nonsense.

Top Bottom