• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Rootbeer

Banned
the price scared my credit card company when apple tried to charge it

had to call and clear a fraud alert lol

LOL i've been watching carefully for e-mails/txts from mine. Because they did this to me a week ago on another big purchase. I think they anticipated a lot of Apple orders from people though.

HUELEN10

No, I'm sure it's a fine spectrum. I just created a topic over on /r/apple announcing that Apple updated their specs and now all 6S models had the exact same bands except one model had Band 30 and the thread turned into "Now how can I get a Band 30 phone without being on AT&T" (you can't) which further confused other people who weren't following all the technical stuff.

I'm sure the band is lovely, but no one should be going out of their way to get the one model with it included

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification; yeah, I completely agree.

4.7 is already too big for some of us, I would be heartbroken if 5 inches as the smallest, and I know a lot of others who would be too. Save for 2, my friends and I hate large phones.

same here. held off moving from the 5 mainly because of the size. but the ram and dying battery on my current 5 forced it

i cant imagine going any bigger. the regular 6s' size is already scaring me

HUELEN10

same here. held off moving from the 5 mainly because of the size. but the ram and dying battery on my current 5 forced it

i cant imagine going any bigger. the regular 6s' size is already scaring me

If you prefer small phones and use a case, the Speck Candyshell Grip helps quite a bit; makes it easier to hold and use the damn thing with 1 hand. You will be able to deal with it after a while, even though you wish it were smaller.

Now, what will take a week to get used to is the power button on the right.

If you prefer small phones and use a case, the Speck Candyshell Grip helps quite a bit; makes it easier to hold and use the damn thing with 1 hand.

my issue is more off fitting in my pocket and ease of whipping it in/out

also one handed sneak use while driving/meetings/other moments when i shouldnt be using a phone

Hey guys,
Yesterday I switched from a long-time Sprint usage to T-mobile.

I thought it would be a hassle and a complicated switch-over experience, but it really was a lot better than I'd expected.

So, the initial realization that I had to $100 down for my Iphone 6s+ 64gb space grey hit me pretty hard, as I didn't quite "read the fine print" that $0 down was only for the standard model. One family nearby even stormed out of the store cursing them (they could not understand it). Is this extra money down pretty normal to what happens with + models even at other carriers?

Anyway, I was pretty happy to get release day shipping to my house, and the Tmo account is on hold for me until then so I can make the switch later. So the switchover to jump on demand was quite fluid.
I wish there was a better 2-line plan though... the $100 for 10gb data was not really needed for us. I would like to pay less for less data.

Edit: and I forgot to mention they are doing the reimbursement for my 1 year remaining there, as well!

What the hell is a daily driver and why do I keep hearing that phrase when looking at phone things online
A "Daily Driver" is a phone that somebody uses on a regular basis as their main device. Some people who own multiple phones will switch them every day or every other day.

Hey guys,
Yesterday I switched from a long-time Sprint usage to T-mobile.

I thought it would be a hassle and a complicated switch-over experience, but it really was a lot better than I'd expected.

So, the initial realization that I had to $100 down for my Iphone 6s+ 64gb space grey hit me pretty hard, as I didn't quite "read the fine print" that $0 down was only for the standard model. One family nearby even stormed out of the store cursing them (they could not understand it). Is this pretty normal to what happens with more expensive models even at other carriers?

Anyway, I was pretty happy to get release day shipping to my house, and the Tmo account is on hold for me until then so I can make the switch later. So the switchover to jump on demand was quite fluid.
I wish there was a better 2-line plan though... the $100 for 10gb data was not really needed for us. I would like to pay less for less data.

Congrats. You will be so much happier on T-Mo than Sprint. Leaving Sprint was one of my best decisions in the last few years tech wise.

Was one of the early pre orders on Saturday. If it's anything like what T-Mobile did with my 6 last year I just might get it a couple days early.

Rose Gold 6s+ 64GB obviously

Really! thanks for this assurance, haha :) makes me feel good about it. Sprint's service was not an enjoyable one, that's for sure...

Had then for about 6 years before dumping them. You'll actually be able to use your smartphone as a smartphone now and actually have speeds fast enough to watch youtube or other streaming videos or listen to music.

Had then for about 6 years before dumping them. You'll actually be able to use your smartphone as a smartphone now and actually have speeds fast enough to watch youtube or other streaming videos or listen to music.

Right, I always had to look for Wifi spots, otherwise 4G was almost never there for me.
I've yet to test the coverage in my area but it looks better already (not my own phone yet, as I'm still Sprint, but on the other line).

HUELEN10

Yep! I can only speak from my Experince, but T-Mo is the best. Had the, to begin with, but then switched to ATT due to iPhone, but switched back last year. My unlimited plan. Currently seem to be averaging 17 GB a month, and it's all smooth sailing, wether it's torrenting an ISO, watching a movie, or listening to music.

OT: Anyone had them since their Voice Stream wireless days?

4.7 is already too big for some of us, I would be heartbroken if 5 inches as the smallest, and I know a lot of others who would be too. Save for 2, my friends and I hate large phones.

Is it the actual footprint of the phone or the screen size that you think is too big? They should be able to fit a 5 inch phone into a footprint that is same size/smaller than the current 4.7 in. There are quite a few 5 inch Android phones that are the same size as the 4.7 in iPhone. Apple should be able to pull it off.

HUELEN10

Is it the actual footprint of the phone or the screen size that you think is too big? They should be able to fit a 5 inch phone into a footprint that is same size/smaller than the current 4.7 in. There are quite a few 5 inch Android phones that are the same size as the 4.7 in iPhone. Apple should be able to pull it off.

Both is the true answer, but for me it's screen, definitely screen; screen should be smaller IMO.

I REALLY wish it was...

we have to go back

my backup phone

iPxbCnQ.jpg

Both is the true answer, but for me it's screen, definitely screen; screen should be smaller IMO.

I REALLY wish it was...

Fair enough. I was right there with you a couple years ago, but then I got the HTC One M7. I was totally cool with and look at me now, haha. I'm getting the Plus.

Anyway I know that's not the case for everyone. I really hope Apple keeps a sensible size for one of their flagships.

I noticed that phrase being used a lot recently online.

Honestly the phrase used to be used a lot more before the days of Android and iOS. People used to switch between phones like nothing between Symbian (Nokia smartphones), Blackberry, and flip phones. I find it harder to switch that often nowadays because of how dedicated you become to a particular ecosystem. I know people who would switch to something like the candy bar Sony Ericsson phones for workouts because of the music player, and then switch back to the Blackberry or something for every day use (the "daily driver"). I don't think it would be unusual for someone to switch to a Nokia phone when on vacation for the camera alone.

iOS 8 enabled interactive notifications for any app that wanted to tap into it. Like in the Outlook app for example I've always been able to delete an incoming email right from the notification. I don't know if Apple ever gave developers the tools to be able to allow quick replies from the notification in the same way that iMessage does though.
IOS 8 didn't really allow for native interactive support for third party apps though; say if you swiped Twitter or Fb Messenger notifications and hit reply it would launch the actual app rather than allowing you to type it right there as with iMessage.

I'm also moving from Sprint to T-Mobile with this move. With this, my number will have officially touched every major cell carrier.

iPhone 4 AT&T -> iPhone 4 Verizon -> iPhone 5S Sprint -> iPhone 6S+ T-Mobile.

Let's just hope there's no hiccups in the porting/shipping process. Has anyone ported through T-Mobile before? How long did it take for the porting to complete once you activated your phone?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yep! I can only speak from my Experince, but T-Mo is the best. Had the, to begin with, but then switched to ATT due to iPhone, but switched back last year. My unlimited plan. Currently seem to be averaging 17 GB a month, and it's all smooth sailing, wether it's torrenting an ISO, watching a movie, or listening to music.

OT: Anyone had them since their Voice Stream wireless days?

I've had them since Voicestream days. I think the rep said my account was 18 years old. Makes me feel old that my cell account isn't a minor anymore.

I'm also moving from Sprint to T-Mobile with this move. With this, my number will have officially touched every major cell carrier.

Let's just hope there's no hiccups in the porting/shipping process. Has anyone ported through T-Mobile before? How long did it take for the porting to complete once you activated your phone?

When I ported from Sprint to T-Mobile it took less than a hour to port it over.

IOS 8 didn't really allowed for native interactive support for third party apps though; say if you swiped Twitter or Fb Messenger notifications amd hit reply it would launch the actual app rather than allowing you to type it right there as with iMessage.

It allows for certain actions to work directly from a notification without having to open the app. Like I said in Outlook I can delete email from the notification and it will happen without ever going into the app. In Tweetbot I can favorite a a tweet right from a notification. It's only quick reply that Apple didn't give developers access to in iOS 8. Right after WWDC it was being reported that the quick reply API was going to be available for developers to use, but since Apple hasn't allowed apps with iOS 9 APIs into the App Store yet, we won't really know until they start releasing.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/06/ios-9-will-bring-quick-reply-feature-to-messaging-apps.html

SegaShack

I am on a Verizon family plan and the 2 year contract for my previous phone runs out in Feb 2016.

I want to get the 6S and possibly break off into my own plan. What would my options be?

Shenmue

Banned
Yup, and I've had a 6+ since launch day, and it has ALWAYS run slower than my finance's regular 6. Same can be said when I compare my friends' phones of both sizes.

The 6+ struggles with the rotation animation, and skips frames in the multi-tasking pane, as well as when bouncing in and out of apps quickly. The 6 is pretty much flawless (save for the next comment).

Mixed with 1GB of RAM resulting in constant app and page refreshes, the iPhone 6+ has been, without a doubt, the most buggy iPhone I've ever had, in comparison to what's out there.

Yup second this. The 6+ is BY FAR the shittiest phone I've ever owned. I really hope my incoming 6s+ is much much better.

I'm actually kind of afraid it will be hard to sell this POS.

reKon

Banned
This is the first iPhone that I'm actually interested in playing with. Still, absolutely have no plans to ever buy an iPhone unless they start supporting default apps and get rid of 16 GB base storage. Even then, by that point, I would hope that they the screen screen is 4.8 to 5 inches and the battery life has improve substantially. If Sony can put a 3100 mAH battery in a device with a 5.2 inch screen and is 7.3 mm thick, then Apple should be able to put up to a 2300 mAH battery in a 5 inch phone.

Pretty instant for me going from Sprint.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is the first iPhone that I'm actually interested in playing with. Still, absolutely have no plans to ever buy an iPhone unless they start supporting default apps and get rid of 16 GB base storage. Even then, by that point, I would hope that they the screen screen is 4.8 to 5 inches and the battery life has improve substantially. If Sony can put a 3100 mAH battery in a device with a 5.2 inch screen and is 7.3 mm thick, then Apple should be able to put up to a 2300 mAH battery in a 5 inch phone.

The battery life on iPhones are pretty killer. I don't think you can just compare mAH on batteries and have any idea about actual hours of use. You have to take into consideration the power drain of the iPhone hardware and the iOS software.

Also who cares about the 16gb base storage, really? Don't buy it if you want more. It seems to me that people complain about that out of principle or because they're playing armchair analyst, but there are probably good economic reasons why Apple sells those (i.e. Enterprise, foreign markets).

Default apps, though? Why not. I agree that'd be nice. Though at this point there isn't a default app I'd care to replace. Safari is the superior browser.

I am on a Verizon family plan and the 2 year contract for my previous phone runs out in Feb 2016.

I want to get the 6S and possibly break off into my own plan. What would my options be?

Are you waiting until Feb to grab the 6S? And do you want to stay with Verizon?

Rootbeer

Banned
It's amusing to hear people say 4.7 is too big, when every day I see tons of small women (mostly women, anyway) using HUGE phones like the Note 5. They are insanely popular even amongst smaller-handed people. I always felt my 4S was too small, it wasn't until the 6 that I felt the screen hit a sweet spot. So I dig the trend towards larger, to a point.

Of course I accept that people can want different things, just that evidence in the real world shows me that even people on the smaller side seem to really like huge phones even when smaller ones are available.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Different architectures means different performance. This is why you have dual core iphones beating out androids with quad cores, 4gb of ram and all the bells and whistles.

My 6+ Last me all day from 6am to 930pm with my Apple watch and replying to text messages + surfing the internet. I'm a pretty heavy data hound and still end the day with battery to spare.

I'd argue if those silly requirements are what's stopping you from using an iphone (from an adroid convert mind you.) then I guess I'll go back to android when there's a clear line between phone and tablet apps, a consistent UI, updates on flagship models that arrive on the same day and not 4-6 months when my carrier decides to update their firmware ontop of the already bloated manufacturers bloatware, a camera that doesn't take forever to focus and take a damn picture ontop of MANY other issues.

The only device I'd consider for Android is Nexus and even then google still showing the clear problems with Android on every one of those they make.

Shenmue

Banned
Default apps, though? Why not. I agree that'd be nice. Though at this point there isn't a default app I'd care to replace. Safari is the superior browser.

Really gotta disagree with that. Safari as far as features is SO far behind many of the third party browsers it's embarrassing. Also on the 6+ it cobstantly has to reload because of the lack of RAM while the other browsers are much better at handling the lack of RAM.

JaseMath

Ended up grabbing a 6S by leaving Tmo and heading (back) to Verizon. With the corporate discount, it'll be around the same price, so whatever. I'm happy; come the 25th/26th, I'll be on America's Largest and Most Reliable Network.

Ninja Dom

It's been said already but there is a vast difference between on-paper specs and real world usage.

It will only be 2 or 3 weeks until we get the benchmarks. Wait and see.

It's amusing to hear people say 4.7 is too big, when every day I see tons of small women (mostly women, anyway) using HUGE phones like the Note 5. They are insanely popular even amongst smaller-handed people. I always felt my 4S was too small, it wasn't until the 6 that I felt the screen hit a sweet spot. So I dig the trend towards larger, to a point.

Of course I accept that people can want different things, just that evidence in the real world shows me that even people on the smaller side seem to really like huge phones even when smaller ones are available.

Women love big phones and don't have a problem because they can throw them in their purse. Men don't have that luxury unless they choose to carry a purse or satchel of some sort.

reKon

Banned
The battery life on iPhones are pretty killer. I don't think you can just compare mAH on batteries and have any idea about actual hours of use. You have to take into consideration the power drain of the iPhone hardware and the iOS software.

Also who cares about the 16gb base storage, really? Don't buy it if you want more. It seems to me that people complain about that out of principle or because they're playing armchair analyst, but there are probably good economic reasons why Apple sells those (i.e. Enterprise, foreign markets).

I know iPhone gets good battery life, but I want class leading if their device going to cost that much. My current phone has class leading battery life and the battery size is 2600mAH. If it had 1800 mAH, I'm sure it would get similar battery life... to an iPhone 6. I generally use benchmarks from different tech sites to to make a relative comparison and get an idea of what I SHOULD be getting. Xperia Z3 series was leading in all battery tests and lo and behold, it's had the longest battery life out of any device I've ever owned and lasts longer than all of my friends phone, whether iPhones or not.

I'm not complaining about the 16 GB out of principle. It's 2015 and I'm not even sure of the cost savings from keeping that base instead of 32 GB. When I owned the HTC One M7, 32GB was a sweet spot for me in terms of storage. I actually filled that space up with the more graphically intensive games, videos, and albums from Google Music saved to my device. iPhone can now shoot 4K video and that will fill up disk space insanely fast. General consumers use there cameras a lot and with the push of afford 4K capable devices from all the TV/Laptop manufacturers, they just might want to see their content that they've recorded.

It's been said already but there is a vast difference between on-paper specs and real world usage.

It will only be 2 or 3 weeks until we get the benchmarks. Wait and see.

iPhone's each year seem to gain a little more efficiency. I expect this year to be the same, even with the smaller battery. There are still devices that give similar or better battery life on the Android side. This is something that they just need to push more and expanding the screen size should help them achieve this.

Shenmue

Banned
Women love big phones and don't have a problem because they can throw them in their purse. Men don't have that luxury unless they choose to carry a purse or satchel of some sort.

Maybe it's because I wear suits everyday but I've never had an issue as pockets for dress pants are more than enough for a 6+. My inside jacket pocket can also comfortably hold it.

Aurizen

1. Band 30 is useless at the moment, don't even bother yourself about it. Everyone on reddit is getting themselves worked up trying to find a way to get an AT&T iPhone for that Band 30 and it's all for nothing. Fuck Band 30.

2. All models of the iPhone 6S can accept any SIM and have the hardware to run on any network worldwide, GSM or CDMA. As long as the carrier has unlocked the phone, any SIM in the world will work

3. If you buy it full priced from AT&T or an Apple Store with AT&T activation, it will be unlocked or can be unlocked. If you buy it on a 2 year contract or with the NEXT payment plan, it can't be unlocked until the contract is fulfilled. However, you can only buy AT&T phones if you have an active AT&T account

4. I'm dead serious, fuck Band 30. It's not bad, but unless you are in very specific areas it hasn't had a wide rollout yet. Buy whatever phone fits your needs and your plan, I swear you'll be okay

what is so good about band 30?

Vyer

I know iPhone gets good battery life, but I want class leading if their device going to cost that much. My current phone has class leading battery life and the battery size is 2600mAH. If it had 1800 mAH, I'm sure it would get similar battery life... to an iPhone 6. I generally use benchmarks from different tech sites to to make a relative comparison and get an idea of what I SHOULD be getting. Xperia Z3 series was leading in all battery tests and lo and behold, it's had the longest battery life out of any device I've ever owned and lasts longer than all of my friends phone, whether iPhones or not.

I'm not complaining about the 16 GB out of principle. It's 2015 and I'm not even sure of the cost savings from keeping that base instead of 32 GB. When I owned the HTC One M7, 32GB was a sweet spot for me in terms of storage. I actually filled that space up with the more graphically intensive games, videos, and albums from Google Music saved to my device. iPhone can now shoot 4K video and that will fill up disk space insanely fast. General consumers use there cameras a lot and with the push of afford 4K capable devices from all the TV/Laptop manufacturers, they just might want to see their content that they've recorded.

iPhone's each year seem to gain a little more efficiency. I expect this year to be the same, even with the smaller battery. There are still devices that give similar or better battery life on the Android side. This is something that they just need to push more and expanding the screen size should help them achieve this.

iPhones do have among the best battery life. Taken with other advantages the devices offer, it more than balances out imo.

Agreed about the 16gb, though I've been buying the 'middle' option for years, before most were really concerned about 16gb, so it hasn't really effected my purchasing habits. Still, it needs to go.

what is so good about band 30?

It's just a new spectrum that AT&T purchased.

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/atts-summer-lte-expansions-plans-2-3-ghz-wcs-lte-band-30-is-coming/

WCS is not well suited to long distance coverage, but in dense areas it will allow AT&T to substantially increase speeds and add capacity to places where the current AT&T LTE network is becoming overloaded.

Better for dense city areas to ease data traffic. It's hardly been rolled out anywhere, since expansion is still happening

Ninja Dom

I think 16GB is still around for the Enterprise market.

I have a work iPad Mini 2 16GB, Enterprise. It's totally locked down with a full Enterprise profile. A work made Apple ID rather than a personal one. No iCloud. No plugging the device into any personal PC or Mac. As a result the only media that goes on the iPad is if it's taken with its own camera or if you save the media from your work email account.

As a result I've still got about 8GB spare on it. And my company bought 10,000 of these.

I went into Dylan's Candy Bar Store in NYC, and their whole EPOS system was running on iPad's and iOS. Again, storage isn't a priority for their units.

take 20-30% off retail value each year depending on condition of the phone and if its unlocked.

are you guys trading in your phones at retail or selling privately, Ive seen a lot of low amounts in this thread. its always better to sell on your own, hell a good condition 5s still goes for $350-400 on average if you sell it yourself.

Yeah, right now you'll get $400 or so after fees. But he said next year, and it will be about $200.

B-Dex

I have a work iPad Mini 2 16GB, Enterprise. It's totally locked down with a full Enterprise profile. A work made Apple ID rather than a personal one. No iCloud. No plugging the device into any personal PC or Mac. As a result the only media that goes on the iPad is if it's taken with its own camera or if you save the media from your work email account.

As a result I've still got about 8GB spare on it. And my company bought 10,000 of these.

I went into Dylan's Candy Bar Store in NYC, and their whole EPOS system was running on iPad's and iOS. Again, storage isn't a priority for their units.

The volume that Apple buys storage makes the cost difference between 16 and 32 negligible imo. And they could always still make 16gb skus specifically for enterprise.

SegaShack

Are you waiting until Feb to grab the 6S? And do you want to stay with Verizon?
I'd like to get the 6S sooner than February if it's a possibility. Also it looks like Verizon no longer subsidizes phone costs with their plans. To be honest I'm not sure what carrier to switch to or if I should stay with Verizon.

Orkidea

What's an enterprise market?

Top Bottom