• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

samn

I'd like to do the Apple upgrade plan at $45/month for the 128GB 6s+ but it doesn't look like any plus model reservations are still available.

OIS is the deciding factor for me. I was thinking of going 64GB but I'm trying to plan for 4K video.

Bear in mind iOS 9 lets you lower video recording quality.

Aurizen

You might notice it less, but at the end of the day, the performance of the + will always be inferior to the 4.7 inch variant by design.

You truly are paying more for less.

Would you say the same for an android device with the same screen?

My mercy is at T-Mobile. Ordered 2 6S+ phones.

As far as the + being inferior or whatever, it's whether or not you want a bigger screen. Saying it's inferior is opinion and nonsense.

I take it that you have currently the + model and enjoy the experience?

Spinifex

You might notice it less, but at the end of the day, the performance of the + will always be inferior to the 4.7 inch variant by design.

You truly are paying more for less.

You're paying for OIS and better battery life - not to mention a bigger screen. That ain't nothing, and it certainly isn't less.

Would you say the same for an android device with the same screen?

I take it that you have currently the + model and enjoy the experience?

No, but point me to someone saying who've used both and say that the + was worse because of performance issues. It comes down to what size phone you want.

After using a 5.5 inch screen over a year now, it would be hard to go back to a smaller one. You might think it's too big and I used to be the same way until I got my OPO last year.

Red

Bear in mind iOS 9 lets you lower video recording quality.
Yeah, but why would you want to? I use filmic pro for 50Mbps video on my 5S. It looks insanely good for phone video. But it kills battery and eats up space like pac man on a pellet binge. The 6s+ would have more space, a bigger battery, and a more powerful and efficient processor. But I wonder how quickly 4K video would fill up 128GB of storage encoded at 50Mbps (if that is even possible).

Sarye

So I thought existing Verizon customers could get the iPhone at the subsidized price? Tried to add it on the site but only found the monthly setup pricing.

not through the verizon site but you can do it through apple. Really backwards but it is what it is.

Yeah, but why would you want to? I use filmic pro for 50Mbps video on my 5S. It looks insanely good for phone video. But it kills battery and eats up space like pac man on a pellet binge. The 6s+ would have more space, a bigger battery, and a more powerful and efficient processor. But I wonder how quickly 4K video would fill up 128GB of storage encoded at 50Mbps (if that is even possible).

According to Apple, a minute of 4K video will take up approximately 375MB

Did they talk about the default bitrate? Wasn't 1080p60 on the 6 like 17Mbps?

No word on bitrate, I just pulled the numbers from an impressions video

ZNeQtpA.png

ZeroX03

Banned
It's heavier, it's thicker, it's laggier, it's more expensive, it can't render natively at the resolution of its display.

You are paying more for an inferior phone. If the phone had better specs to compensate that would be different, but it doesn't.

Feels bad man.

You're often clueless and have no idea what you're talking about. This is one of those times. Does everyone have to call you out for the hundredth time?

It's heavier, it's thicker, it's laggier, it's more expensive, it can't render natively at the resolution of its display.

You are paying more for an inferior phone. If the phone had better specs to compensate that would be different, but it doesn't.

Feels bad man.

The battery life itself makes it worth it

Not to mention a bigger screen in and of itself is a huge perk.

Also higher res, with pretty much built in AA due to downsampling and OIS

HUELEN10

You're often clueless and have no idea what you're talking about. This is one of those times. Does everyone have to call you out for the hundredth time?
Advice and option was asked for, I provided mine, I backed it up with valid points and a source. Should you choose to not defer to it, that is entirely your call.

Mortemis

Banned
Got off the phone with t-mobile a little while ago. They left a voicemail saying my payment info was invalid and to call them back, was on hold for almost 30 min until they answered. They then told me they can't do anything and to go to a t-mobile store, but thankfully the same lady called me back and said she can fix it.

Tons of people are having issues with t-mobile for this weekend but at least they're getting it fixed. They also gave me free overnight shipping (which sounds like most other carriers were offering but t-mobile was offering it for $25 before), and my down payment was much less. I didn't have nearly as big of a headache as some others pointed out so it's all good now.

ZeroX03

Banned
Advice and option was asked for, I provided mine, I backed it up with valid points and a source. Should you choose to not defer to it, that is entirely your call.

Your advice is bordering on delusional, and your source just explains how the display works.

You see more on the 6 Plus. Downsampling is largely irrelevant and unnoticeable, you still get more pixels on the Plus with a higher PPI, that's a benefit. "Laggier" is a very subjective call, yes it performs worse on benchmarks that stress the system but that is not indicative of real life usage where they're essentially the same. OIS and especially battery life are not negligible points. Battery life is one of the most important things to many consumers. Screen size is preference. Weight comes with a larger form factor. "Paying more for less" is a ridiculous claim.

Do what you normally do and turn tail and run.

HUELEN10

Got off the phone with t-mobile a little while ago. They left a voicemail saying my payment info was invalid and to call them back, was on hold for almost 30 min until they answered. They then told me they can't do anything and to go to a t-mobile store, but thankfully the same lady called me back and said she can fix it.

Tons of people are having issues with t-mobile for this weekend but at least they're getting it fixed. They also gave me free overnight shipping (which sounds like most other carriers were offering but t-mobile was offering it for $25 before), and my down payment was much less. I didn't have nearly as big of a headache as some others pointed out so it's all good now.
25? Wow, glad you got it for free.

For those getting it at a carrier store near an Apple Store, how are the lines usually? I don't know because I always go to the Apple Store instead, but my sis and I need to go to T-Mo for hers.
Your advice is bordering on delusional, and your source just explains how the display works.

You see more on the 6 Plus. Downsampling is largely irrelevant and unnoticeable, you still get more pixels on the Plus with a higher PPI, that's a benefit. "Laggier" is a very subjective call, yes it performs worse on benchmarks that stress the system but that is not indicative of real life usage where they're essentially the same. OIS and especially battery life are not negligible points. Battery life is one of the most important things to many consumers. Screen size is preference. Weight comes with a larger form factor. "Paying more for less" is a ridiculous claim.

There's nothing to run from. Again, if that's your opinion and those are your needs, that's fine. You raised your own valid points as well, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Reckoner

I'm with HUELEN10 on this one, but it's also my personal preference. You justify yours with valid points too. Move on.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's nothing to run from. Again, if that's your opinion and those are your needs, that's fine. You raised your own valid points as well, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Battery life, OIS, higher resolution and higher PPI aren't opinions. And landscape apps and home screen which I forgot to mention. You're allowed preference, but calling it straight up inferior is ludicrous. Telling people they paid more for less is just wrong.

What is the difference between paying in full the T-Mobile version of the iphone6s (Which I plan to use on an ATT prepaid no contract plan) and to wait for a "no contract" iPhone?

So I've read about Apple pushing imessage on you when you get an iPhone. Is this something I should disable if most people I know are on Android? I've heard of issues texting people on Android if you are using imessage and other issues if you try to switch back to Android after using an iPhone.

You'll be able to do that on September 16th as a part of iOS9. You'll be able to enable an iCloud Drive app, so just open that up, make a folder, and start uploading

There's a Google Maps app on the App Store. Google puts a LOT of apps on the App Store. They're an advertising/services company, they don't care about not having things on iOS. Hell, you can now use Android Wear on iOS too

Yeah, the Apple Stores have some stock for non-preorders, but it won't be a ton

Will the upload be automatic with this new iCloud drive app after I set it up, or will I have to it manually?

So I've read about Apple pushing imessage on you when you get an iPhone. Is this something I should disable if most people I know are on Android? I've heard of issues texting people on Android if you are using imessage and other issues if you try to switch back to Android after using an iPhone.

I'd leave it on. If you ever switch back to Android, I think you have to go in your iMessage settings and disassociate your phone number from iMessage as much as possible. That's what I had to do when I went from 4S to my HTC One M7. It was a bit of a hassle that I had to do it, and not everyone has that issue I guess?

What is the difference between paying in full the T-Mobile version of the iphone6s (Which I plan to use on an ATT prepaid no contract plan) and to wait for a "no contract" iPhone?

The unlocked phone may have Band 30, which is an AT&T exclusive band that they've hardly rolled out at all

Maybe

That's the only difference between a future unlocked phone and the phones available for preorder (and even the AT&T phones now have Band 30)

As of right now, according to the specs from Apple, every model has the hardware to work on every network worldwide, GSM or CDMA

Bloodrage

Banned

Feels bad man.
This is pretty shitty post, to be honest. How am I paying more for less when I'm getting much better battery life, OIS, and a bigger display? I'm getting more for more, which isn't really an opinion.

Edit: I see you were already called out. Carry on.

The unlocked phone may have Band 30, which is an AT&T exclusive band that they've hardly rolled out at all

Maybe

That's the only difference between a future unlocked phone and the phones available for preorder (and even the AT&T phones now have Band 30)

So there's a way to buy the att phone full price as well...so would that be equal to the T-Mobile phone at full price but would have band 30 right??? But the att phone isn't able to accept a sim other than att?

Feels bad man.

What are you misinforming people about? Did Apple invite you to the conference? Did you do a hands on? Did you ignore all the hands on? Did you forget about A9 ? Did you forget about the 2 GB?

you provided bad advice not playing with the product itself

you provided bad advice ignoring all the spec bumps

So there's a way to buy the att phone full price as well...so would that be equal to the T-Mobile phone at full price but would have band 30 right??? But the att phone isn't able to accept a sim other than att?

1. Band 30 is useless at the moment, don't even bother yourself about it. Everyone on reddit is getting themselves worked up trying to find a way to get an AT&T iPhone for that Band 30 and it's all for nothing. Fuck Band 30.

2. All models of the iPhone 6S can accept any SIM and have the hardware to run on any network worldwide, GSM or CDMA. As long as the carrier has unlocked the phone, any SIM in the world will work

3. If you buy it full priced from AT&T or an Apple Store with AT&T activation, it will be unlocked or can be unlocked. If you buy it on a 2 year contract or with the NEXT payment plan, it can't be unlocked until the contract is fulfilled. However, you can only buy AT&T phones if you have an active AT&T account

4. I'm dead serious, fuck Band 30. It's not bad, but unless you are in very specific areas it hasn't had a wide rollout yet. Buy whatever phone fits your needs and your plan, I swear you'll be okay

HUELEN10

What are you misinforming people about? Did Apple invite you to the conference? Did you do a hands on? Did you ignore all the hands on? Did you forget about A9 ? Did you forget about the 2 GB?

you provided bad advice not playing with the product itself

you provided bad advice ignoring all the spec bumps
That post was elaborating specifically on a post which was a reply to a post made by Hobohodo which was talking about the 6, not the 6S.
Really torn on wether I get the plus model or
not. Anyone got some opinions on it one way or another based on the 6?
They asked for an opinion based on the 6, I gave one and linked a source. I don't see the problem. Again, if you have a different opinion, that's fine.
1. Band 30 is useless at the moment, don't even bother yourself about it. Everyone on reddit is getting themselves worked up trying to find a way to get an AT&T iPhone for that Band 30 and it's all for nothing. Fuck Band 30.

2. All models of the iPhone 6S can accept any SIM and have the hardware to run on any network worldwide, GSM or CDMA. As long as the carrier has unlocked the phone, any SIM in the world will work

3. If you buy it full priced from AT&T or an Apple Store with AT&T activation, it will be unlocked or can be unlocked. If you buy it on a 2 year contract or with the NEXT payment plan, it can't be unlocked until the contract is fulfilled. However, you can only buy AT&T phones if you have an active AT&T account

4. I'm dead serious, fuck Band 30. It's not bad, but unless you are in very specific areas it hasn't had a wide rollout yet. Buy whatever phone fits your needs and your plan, I swear you'll be okay

I know there is no need to have band 30 due to no real rollout in a timely fashion, but is it actually shitty spectrum or what? You seem to really dislike it. As for people obsessing about a handset that has it, that does seem weird. Kinda like those damned fools in my area who got an iPhone and traded in and lost money to get an iPhone 3G with a plastic case downgrade (yet non-recessed headphone jack upgrade), just because of 3G which didn't come to our area u tip the 3GS was on its way out.

Will the upload be automatic with this new iCloud drive app after I set it up, or will I have to it manually?

I'd leave it on. If you ever switch back to Android, I think you have to go in your iMessage settings and disassociate your phone number from iMessage as much as possible. That's what I had to do when I went from 4S to my HTC One M7. It was a bit of a hassle that I had to do it, and not everyone has that issue I guess?

Don't worry about the former; the latter now has a solution.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Thanks! Still debating whether to get one at launch from T-Mo or not. I'm kind of confused how jump on demand would work for me since they want me to put a huge amount down on the phone(over $600) and my monthly payment would be like 60 cents. Could I just pay off those payments and keep the phone early and then cancel jump on demand? Since they are giving monthly credits for the discount would that just come off my monthly bill even though it's much lower than the advertised lower monthly payment?

That post was elaborating specifically on a post which was a reply to a post made by Hobohodo which was talking about the 6, not the 6S.

Did you read the post? He is deciding between the 6S and 6S+ and which one to buy and was asking about experiences between differences from the screensize of 6

Clipse

So I thought existing Verizon customers could get the iPhone at the subsidized price? Tried to add it on the site but only found the monthly setup pricing.
You should be able to since I did. Are you eligible for an upgrade? Did you sign into your account first?

Lol at people getting salty. Nothing that he has said is untrue. Whilst the + gets some major advantages it will always be behind in raw performance compared to the normal 6. To some they will agree with the trade off or don't notice.

Realistically speaking the iPhone 6+ is better in every way except the size. The screen is better, the camera is better, and the battery is vastly superior. If not for the sheer size of the device I'd buy one in a heartbeat over the regular model.

Will iOS 9 enable interactive push-notifications features for non-stock apps (e.g. Quick reply for Whatsapp)?

iOS 8 enabled interactive notifications for any app that wanted to tap into it. Like in the Outlook app for example I've always been able to delete an incoming email right from the notification. I don't know if Apple ever gave developers the tools to be able to allow quick replies from the notification in the same way that iMessage does though.

Fletcher

I'm really hoping for a redesign of the + model with the 7. I want the screen size, but hate the phone size. The bezel is way too big.

Rootbeer

Banned
Lol at people getting salty. Nothing that he has said is untrue. Whilst the + gets some major advantages it will always be behind in raw performance compared to the normal 6. To some they will agree with the trade off or don't notice.
It will hopefully be less noticable on the S models this year due to the newer hardware. In benchmarks it will show but in day-to-day use the difference will hopefully be very minor, especially outside of games.

It's the reality of the trade-off and I think most people who opt for the Plus models will agree that it's worth it for what you get in exchange. The performance on phones is not the big issue these days it's battery life. Now that the S models have 2GB of ram performance is even LESS of an issue than ever.

Look what we saw with the Retina Macbook models. First gen the performance hit was pretty noticable. By second gen the difference was not an impact for most people and the trade-off was worth it.

reKon

Banned
Realistically speaking the iPhone 6+ is better in every way except the size. The screen is better, the camera is better, and the battery is vastly superior. If not for the sheer size of the device I'd buy one in a heartbeat over the regular model.

They need to bump it up to 5 inches and the plus model to 5.7, then reduce the top and bottom bezels. That will equate a better looking design and higher battery life.

-Verizon contract ends on the 18th
-Ordered two 6s's through T-Mobile
-Service starts on the 25th
-Didn't think this through

Phoneless for a week :'(

Scarphace

Ordered a 16gb 6S+ yesterday and heard about the free upgrade today so I called TMobile and they agreed to give me the 64gb with no down payment and cancel the 16gb. Everything was going fine until it was time to enter my card info. For some reason their system was not accepting any cards for JOD at that time so she said she will give me a call tomorrow. Hopefully I receive one and I don't have to pay the down or wait extra time for it

HUELEN10

They need to bump it up to 5 inches and the plus model to 5.7, then reduce the top and bottom bezels. That will equate a better looking design and higher battery life.

4.7 is already too big for some of us, I would be heartbroken if 5 inches as the smallest, and I know a lot of others who would be too. Save for 2, my friends and I hate large phones.

-Verizon contract ends on the 18th
-Ordered two 6s's through T-Mobile
-Service starts on the 25th
-Didn't think this through

Phoneless for a week :'(

You can continue service without a contract and just cancel when the T-Mobile phones come in. They don't force you out when a contract is over.

I know there is no need to have band 30 due to no real rollout in a timely fashion, but is it actually shitty spectrum or what? You seem to really dislike it. As for people obsessing about a handset that has it, that does seem weird. Kinda like those damned fools in my area who got an iPhone and traded in and lost money to get an iPhone 3G with a plastic case downgrade (yet non-recessed headphone jack upgrade), just because of 3G which didn't come to our area u tip the 3GS was on its way out.

No, I'm sure it's a fine spectrum. I just created a topic over on /r/apple announcing that Apple updated their specs and now all 6S models had the exact same bands except one model had Band 30 and the thread turned into "Now how can I get a Band 30 phone without being on AT&T" (you can't) which further confused other people who weren't following all the technical stuff.

I'm sure the band is lovely, but no one should be going out of their way to get the one model with it included

Top Bottom