• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

What's an enterprise market?

corporations/stores that buy them in mass quantities.

nordstrom rack has those express checkout stands where employees ring up customers with iPhones.

larger companies also buy iPhones for their employees as a way of constant communication.

I'd like to get the 6S sooner than February if it's a possibility. Also it looks like Verizon no longer subsidizes phone costs with their plans. To be honest I'm not sure what carrier to switch to or if I should stay with Verizon.

So Verizon still offers subsidized plans, but only if you're an existing customer. If you leave now and then come back later, I don't know if you'd qualify.

Now, since you're on a 2 year contract, you obviously can't quit that without paying a boatload of early termination fees. Right now, you can buy either the T-Mobile model or the SIM-free model (when that becomes available in a few weeks) and it will work on your current Verizon account. You would just pop your SIM card out of your current phone and put it into the 6S*. I think you need to register the device with Verizon as well but that's easy. This would all be accomplished without affecting your 2 year contract, but you'd have to pay full price for the phone (anywhere from $650-$950).

Then come February, your contract will expire per usual, and you can decide what to do. When you're eligible for a new contract with Verizon, you can either pick another 2 year contract, or go with one of their device payment plans. Or pick a new carrier, and the 6S you buy will work on it.

*Assuming your current phone has a nano-SIM. All iPhones have had them since the iPhone 5, don't know about Android phones

Red Comet

Just ordered the saddle brown leather case. Don't know if I'll get lucky enough to pick up a 6S on launch day, but at least I've got protection.

Bought some $1 Chinese bumpers that sometimes break really quickly but hel, they're $1 anyways. I just really like how some of them look:

$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
So, for people who had the 6+, does the leather case offer good protection from drops or should I just go with an Otterbox?

ZeroX03

Banned
So, for people who had the 6+, does the leather case offer good protection from drops or should I just go with an Otterbox?

Protects it quite well, but it looks horrendous after scuffing. Only get black and no other color. I switched to silicone because of how bad it looked.

Protects it quite well, but it looks horrendous. Only get black and no other color. I switched to silicone because of how bad it looked.

Ha, interesting. I was going to say the EXACT opposite. Drop protection is basically null (it's only thin leather) but I think it looks and feels great

ZeroX03

Banned
Ha, interesting. I was going to say the EXACT opposite. Drop protection is basically null (it's only thin leather) but I think it looks and feels great

I dropped mine plenty of times - not on cement though - and it just bounced and fell flat with no damage. Feels thick enough. I got the light pink leather and it just looked like an ugly mess after a month. Black dirt marks everywhere, no matter how hard I cleaned it.

Depends - do you want something extremely bulky, ugly and that completely hides millions of dollars worth of brilliant R&D on an already large phone? Then get an Otter box. The 6s+ is even heavier - by how much I don't know - and that honestly could start to get annoying as well.

I've had a cheap clear gel case as well as a nicer super slim metallic Moshi case. I've dropped my phone tons of times and it remains completely unphased.

SegaShack

So Verizon still offers subsidized plans, but only if you're an existing customer. If you leave now and then come back later, I don't know if you'd qualify.

Now, since you're on a 2 year contract, you obviously can't quit that without paying a boatload of early termination fees. Right now, you can buy either the T-Mobile model or the SIM-free model (when that becomes available in a few weeks) and it will work on your current Verizon account. You would just pop your SIM card out of your current phone and put it into the 6S*. I think you need to register the device with Verizon as well but that's easy. This would all be accomplished without affecting your 2 year contract, but you'd have to pay full price for the phone (anywhere from $650-$950).

Then come February, your contract will expire per usual, and you can decide what to do. When you're eligible for a new contract with Verizon, you can either pick another 2 year contract, or go with one of their device payment plans. Or pick a new carrier, and the 6S you buy will work on it.

*Assuming your current phone has a nano-SIM. All iPhones have had them since the iPhone 5, don't know about Android phones
Wow, thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it. I'm surprised the T Mobile version works with Verizon. If I went to the Apple Store would they let me purchase it like a payment plan or is that for contracts only?

Wow, thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it. I'm surprised the T Mobile version works with Verizon. If I went to the Apple Store would they let me purchase it like a payment plan or is that for contracts only?

T-Mobile still pays early termination fees from other providers as far as I know so they would cover those fees for you.

I dropped mine plenty of times - not on cement though - and it just bounced and fell flat with no damage. Feels thick enough. I got the light pink leather and it just looked like an ugly mess after a month. Black dirt marks everywhere, no matter how hard I cleaned it.

Maybe that's it, I got the black leather one and I love it plenty. Pretty scuffed up though after a year, might have to get a new one

That's the big question! We don't know if doing the iPhone Upgrade Program requires activation on a carrier, or if you can do it while still being on a 2 year/device payment plan contract. We should know more info in the coming days

That would be the only payment plan Apple as a company offers: http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

I'll also say that in February the 2 year contract and the device payment would obviously only come into play if you DIDN'T get a 6S before that. You can keep on going contract-free at that point or switch to someone else

T-Mobile still pays early termination fees from other providers as far as I know so they would cover those fees for you.

This is also true. If you switch to T-Mobile and buy a phone from them, they'll pay your early termination fees. There's a few more terms and conditions that to be honest I've never read despite my interest in switching to T-Mobile. I'd either call them or stop by a store to get the whole scoop

Depends - do you want something extremely bulky, ugly and that completely hides millions of dollars worth of brilliant R&D on an already large phone? Then get an Otter box. The 6s+ is even heavier - by how much I don't know - and that honestly could start to get annoying as well.

I've had a cheap clear gel case as well as a nicer super slim metallic Moshi case. I've dropped my phone tons of times and it remains completely unphased.
How're clear cases? Is it instantly obvious it's a clear case? I remember some of them looking gaudy in person.

Shenmue

Banned
How're clear cases? Is it instantly obvious it's a clear case? I remember some of them looking gaudy in person.

Get a TPU clear case. I always get comments from people that they didnt know I had a case on. I've dropped my phone on concrete because I missed my coat pocket and it was fine.

Shun

http://tunewear.com

They offer outstanding accessories and products for the iPhone line with pretty good prices. Check them out.

They have stuff from clear cases to metal dual layer bumpers to carbon fibre cases to leather to wallet cases, etc. Even glass screen protectors.

Getting their Frame x Frame bumper for the 6S+ after a very good experience with their Frame x Frame for the 5S.

Rootbeer

Banned
Are apple stores already selling products officially licensed for the 6S/6S+ or is it all being held for the 25th? I'm going to be near an Apple store tomorrow and was wanting to do some accessory/case shopping. (yeah, i know most 6/6+ stuff should fit)

If I buy an iPhone in the US at full price (while visiting on holidays), why do i have to select a carrier?

iphone_6s_plus_cases.jpg

Anybody have ever used this company or product before ? I'm seriously thinking about getting this because it meets my expectations!
What I like most is that the screen doesn't come in contact with the credit cards etc....

http://www.pielframa.com/iphone-6s-plus-cases-color-black-tan-1868-2.htm

Yes, i've bought a custom designed case from them once. Initially it seemed like a highly quality product. But the long term durability it questionable given the steep price (admittedly I don't treat my stuff with the highest standard of care). The biggest problem I experienced was the demagnetization of my credit cards.

If I buy an iPhone in the US at full price (while visiting on holidays), why do i have to select a carrier?

You don't, if you get a T-Mobile phone full price they don't require you to have an active T-Mobile account. Or any account

Are apple stores already selling products officially licensed for the 6S/6S+ or is it all being held for the 25th? I'm going to be near an Apple store tomorrow and was wanting to do some accessory/case shopping. (yeah, i know most 6/6+ stuff should fit)

Not until launch

derek212

Yes, i've bought a custom designed case from them once. Initially it seemed like a highly quality product. But the long term durability it questionable given the steep price (admittedly I don't treat my stuff with the highest standard of care). The biggest problem I experienced was the demagnetization of my credit cards.

Do you have any recommendations? On cases similar to this one ? I just hate ones where the cards touch the screen and could possibly scratch it.

They offer outstanding accessories and products for the iPhone line with pretty good prices. Check them out.

They have stuff from clear cases to metal dual layer bumpers to carbon fibre cases to leather to wallet cases, etc. Even glass screen protectors.

Getting their Frame x Frame bumper for the 6S+ after a very good experience with their Frame x Frame for the 5S.

The Frame x Frame looks great. I had no idea they existed but I will definitely buy one.

The Frame x Frame looks really good, but 35 bucks for a bumper is kinda steep.

Shun

The Frame x Frame looks great. I had no idea they existed but I will definitely buy one.

Yeah I love them, one of the biggest sellers for accessories in the Asian phone market expanding and selling for Western markets now too.

It's great how their Frame x Frame series is designed to be thin, unobtrusive, and camouflage itself as if you're not even using a case at all. Even comes with a place to put straps.

The Frame x Frame looks really good, but 35 bucks for a bumper is kinda steep.

I don't work for them but I attest to their quality. It's saved me countless times for bumps and cracks with the dual layered frame. Especially since it's a metal outer frame.

That and it's worth it to look as if you're not using a case and keep Apple's aesthetic.

They usually come with nifty extras too like a film screen protector and a stand strap. Not sure if they will for this one, but they have for their older accessories.

I hope that you can change the video recording resolution on the fly. I wanna take a mix of 1080p/60fps and 4k/30fps videos without having to go in and out of the Settings menu.

You can't change the video recording resolution on the fly currently on the iPhone 6.

Based on that menu I wouldn't expect to. I got used to changing slow-mo from 120 to 240 on the fly, so whenever I can't press the 60fps option in the same place it surprises. Seems like a silly oversight

I really like my Karbon SI Osprey from Evutec for my 5S. Thinking of getting one for the 6S+. I like the idea of a bumper better but bend-gate has made me wary of anything less than what I have now.

toohectic

So... no preorder sales numbers for iPhone 6s/6s+ ?!

Pre-orders started Saturday, which is one day later than the previous releases on Friday. If they report numbers, it wouldn't be until tomorrow in order to allow for a comparable number of preorder days. They have reported this morning that the number of preorders is on track to beat last year's numbers.

Blackhead

Redarse
Pre-orders started Saturday, which is one day later than the previous releases on Friday. If they report numbers, it wouldn't be until tomorrow in order to allow for a comparable number of preorder days. They have reported this morning that the number of preorders is on track to beat last year's numbers.

Last year they reported (record) pre-orders for the first 24 hours. Why would they need an extra day to release the first 24 hours pre-order numbers for the 6s/6s+ they should already have?

So... no preorder sales numbers for iPhone 6s/6s+ ?!

Apple Says iPhone 6s and 6s Plus 'On Pace' to Top Last Year's Record 10 Million Sales on Launch Weekend.

Apple said:
Customer response to iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus has been extremely positive and preorders this weekend were very strong around the world. We are on pace to beat last year's 10 million unit first-weekend record when the new iPhones go on sale September 25.

As many customers noticed, the online demand for iPhone 6s Plus has been exceptionally strong and exceeded our own forecasts for the preorder period. We are working to catch up as quickly as we can, and we will have iPhone 6s Plus as well as iPhone 6s units available at Apple retail stores when they open next Friday.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finally jumping ship to iOS for the first time ever.

I've had Android devices since 2010. I actually got an Xperia Z3 this February. It's a great phone with great battery, but Android bugs and nuisances have annoyed me too much at this point - I'm really tired of Android.

I used to be the biggest Apple hater - that's until I got my 13" 2015 MBP. Now I'm fully convinced and making the switch. I pre-ordered the new iPhone 6S 64GB in Silver.

I wanted to ask in this thread though - if anyone has bought those Silicon cases from Apple in the past (iPhone 5C, iPhone 6) - any good? I'm looking into picking up this one in orange with my iPhone 6S.

Are these worth the extra money?

kaskade

Any good guesses why they delayed the launch by a week this year? Supply chain issues?

I was wondering the same thing. It's usually been a preorder then a release the following Friday. Maybe they did it to make sure they could fulfill more orders? Another whole week to make iPhones probably makes a lot of iPhones.

Top Bottom