• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Number45

Anyone know the cheapest way I can get from an iPhone 6 to a 6S in the UK?
On or off contract? On contract I would have thought you'd be locked in for 24 months so check with your carrier - off contract? Buy the new one and sell the old will probably work out cheapest (if not the most hassle free).

Or hope that they'll launch the upgrade program over here in a relatively timely manner.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any good guesses why they delayed the launch by a week this year? Supply chain issues?

I was wondering the same thing. It's usually been a preorder then a release the following Friday. Maybe they did it to make sure they could fulfill more orders? Another whole week to make iPhones probably makes a lot of iPhones.

They offered preorders for China this year, but not last year, which could be a factor.

JaseMath

I'm finally jumping ship to iOS for the first time ever.

I've had Android devices since 2010. I actually got an Xperia Z3 this February. It's a great phone with great battery, but Android bugs and nuisances have annoyed me too much at this point - I'm really tired of Android.

I used to be the biggest Apple hater - that's until I got my 13" 2015 MBP. Now I'm fully convinced and making the switch. I pre-ordered the new iPhone 6S 64GB in Silver.

I wanted to ask in this thread though - if anyone has bought those Silicon cases from Apple in the past (iPhone 5C, iPhone 6) - any good? I'm looking into picking up this one in orange with my iPhone 6S.

Are these worth the extra money?
I'm making the switch as well. Having used both (but having been an Android user since 2011), there's things I'll miss, but in the end it'll be nice to have a fast and dependable* mobile OS again. iOS compared to Android is no-frills, but that's not a bad thing. iOS is great on an optimized device.

*If you believe in planned obsolescence. Apple is big on this IMO.

Just did the math and renewing my contract I can get a 6S and 100 bucks if I sell my 6 or a just 6S Plus (all 128GB), so I'm going to upgrade but I'm kind of torn between the two.
Coming from a 4S last year, the size of the 6 made me a bit reluctant but a year later, I'm pretty happy with my 6 so I'm wondering about going bigger. My phone is typically in my pocket so a Plus might be too cumbersome.

Very intrigued by 3D touch. Watched the video and read the impressions but I still need that hands on to really understand it.

There were big supply constraints last year, especially with the Plus model. I suspect they were better prepared this time rather than increased demand.

I actually 3D touch is going to be huge, and that we'll see it from pretty much every big name Android manufacturer. And as usual, it won't be implemented nearly as well as Apple did it for at least a little while. Similar to Touch ID. The GS5 came out afterwards with gold color and far inferior fingerprint scanner. Lol.

HUELEN10

I'm making the switch as well. Having used both (but having been an Android user since 2011), there's things I'll miss, but in the end it'll be nice to have a fast and dependable* mobile OS again. iOS compared to Android is no-frills, but that's not a bad thing. iOS is great on an optimized device.

*Planned obsolescence. Apple is big on this.

I'm talking specifically phones here; you do realize their latest mobile OS and ALL of their developed apps (not including built in system ones that might need new hardware to work) run on stuff as old as a 5th-gen iPhone, the 4S from 2011, right? That's unheard of, they try to support their products as long as they can, to keep customers secure and whatnot.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm talking specifically phones here; you do realize their latest mobile OS and ALL of their developed apps run on stuff as old as a 5th-gen iPhone, the 4S from 2011, right? That's unheard of, they try to support their products as long as they can, to keep customers secure and whatnot.

Not true

Reckoner

I'm fine with barebacking (...) but have they come up with anyway to protect the front screen without a case?

From what I read, with an Apple case if you get the phone laying the screen down it doesn't really go against the table. It gives some protection that way. Screen protectors are overrated, btw. They give little protection and a worse feel and responsiveness to the touch experience. I'm only going with a case this time.

ZeroX03

Banned
I actually 3D touch is going to be huge, and that we'll see it from pretty much every big name Android manufacturer. And as usual, it won't be implemented nearly as well as Apple did it for at least a little while. Similar to Touch ID. The GS5 came out afterwards with gold color and far inferior fingerprint scanner. Lol.

If it works perfectly, it'll be standard. Has anything come close to Touch ID yet? I see my friend fumble with the scanner on his phone constantly.

Wreav

Banned
I wanted to ask in this thread though - if anyone has bought those Silicon cases from Apple in the past (iPhone 5C, iPhone 6) - any good? I'm looking into picking up this one in orange with my iPhone 6S.

I prefer Elago's products for the 6, I tweeted them this morning to see if their existing products for the 6 will still fit the 6s. Has a soft touch feel I can't find on any other product that is sublime.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

I typically get Apple cases, but the quality is pretty bad (even leather) and they're overpriced.

Going with Spigen this time.

chrizzz09

I'm finally jumping ship to iOS for the first time ever.

I've had Android devices since 2010. I actually got an Xperia Z3 this February. It's a great phone with great battery, but Android bugs and nuisances have annoyed me too much at this point - I'm really tired of Android.

I used to be the biggest Apple hater - that's until I got my 13" 2015 MBP. Now I'm fully convinced and making the switch. I pre-ordered the new iPhone 6S 64GB in Silver.

No, don't buy the silicon cases from them. 10€/$ silicon cases from third parties are more durable (at least in my experience)
A friend of mine is really angry because he spent those 40 bucks on the black case for his iPhone 6 last year and after 3 months the silicon started to show cracks and after 6 months it was teared apart at the camera cut out.

You can buy phones from Apple but stay away from their cases ;)

HUELEN10

Apple Watch
Not an App Store App, a feature app built into the OS that isn't supported by hardware. Original iPhone didn't get voice memos for example, if I recall correctly. One of them didn't have the compass Availible either, again due to hardware not being there in the older device. Nevertheless, I have corrected the post.

Reckoner

No, don't buy the silicon cases from them. 10€/$ silicon cases from third parties are more durable (at least in my experience)
A friend of mine is really angry because he spent those 40 bucks on the black case for his iPhone 6 last year and after 3 months the silicon started to show cracks and after 6 months it was teared apart at the camera cut out.

You can buy phones from Apple but stay away from their cases ;)

But their cases are good looking :(

Soybean

*If you believe in planned obsolescence. Apple is big on this IMO.

The planned obsolescence thing is such a weird accusation. As far as developers are concerned, they don't obsolete their stuff fast enough. We still have to support ancient devices like the iPad 2.

Blackhead

Redarse
Not an App Store App, a feature app built into the OS that isn't supported by hardware. Original iPhone didn't get voice memos for example, if I recall correctly.

You said "Apple Made" app. The hardware could support it (4s has the bluetooth) but Apple choses not too. In comparison an older phone like the Galaxy Nexus supports Android Wear. There are many other features that Apple doesn't provide for older phones even though they have the 'new latest' OS. Touting that an iPhone 4s is running iOS9 is slightly misleading when it still doesn't do as much as an older Android phone. There are tradeoffs (android phone might not have a security update) but it's not simply cut and dried as you proclaim

Ninja Dom

I'm talking specifically phones here; you do realize their latest mobile OS and ALL of their developed apps (not including built in system ones that might need new hardware to work) run on stuff as old as a 5th-gen iPhone, the 4S from 2011, right? That's unheard of, they try to support their products as long as they can, to keep customers secure and whatnot.

It's true.

iPhone 4S from 2011 is getting the latest iOS which will take it into late 2016 with the latest OS. And if you don't mind and the 4S and battery are in good enough condition, then the phone can still be used way beyond that.

TxdoHawk

If it works perfectly, it'll be standard. Has anything come close to Touch ID yet?

Having not used it yet myself, my understanding is that with the latest patches the OnePlus Two's is quite close.

Of course, apparently the 6S and 6S+ have improved Touch ID speeds, excited to see how that works out.

JaseMath

The planned obsolescence thing is such a weird accusation. As far as developers are concerned, they don't obsolete their stuff fast enough. We still have to support ancient devices like the iPad 2.

Okay. Tell that to my wife, on her 4S, or I'll use myself as an example on the iPad 3. Both are slow to the point of practically unusable on the current OS.

Namikaze

Anyone here have the Apple Lightning dock? Is it worth the money?

Also, I'd love to not buy an Apple case but I find that third party cases tend to be extremely ugly and usually have the ugly company logo on them. Apple silicone cases are simple and clean. I also like how their silicone cases have that material on the inside that protects the back of the phone from scratches.

Blackhead

Redarse
It says right on Apple's China site--for first day orders people need to pre-reserve slots at the physical retail stores. It seems like there are still a lot of slots going this route, if you go through the complicated process that requires retrieving a SMS code and giving them your government ID and other details.
oh ok. So you don't think Apple is going to count those whenever they announce numbers in the next few days?

Are you here to have an actual discussion or just shit the thread up with baseless fud and arguing?

Tell me what other companies support their devices with updates for 4-5 years?

Do you understand how to have a discussion? Google is still delivering App and System (Google Play services) updates to devices from 2009 (running Gingerbread).

Ehh....all these pictures of cases. I bare backed the 4, 5, and will bareback my 6S starting 9/25.

I usually hate cases. But the Frame X Frame looks great. Plus now that in on T-Mobile and JUMP! I don't wanna break my phone before trade in. :p that's all it really comes down to honestly

oh ok. So you don't think Apple is going to count those whenever they announce numbers in the next few days?

Do you understand how to have a discussion? Google is still delivering App and System (Google Play services) updates to devices from 2009 (running Gingerbread).

I don't care if one shit OS running on shit devices still supports phones from 2010. I care about the frequency of update support and the content of the update.How often is Gingerbeard updated ? Every year ?

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't care if one shit OS running on shit devices still supports phones from 2010. I care about the frequency of update support and the content of the update.How often is Gingerbeard updated ? Every year ?
btyRK5l.gif

"baseless fud and arguing"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was assured yesterday and today by T-mobile that I could upgrade to the 64gb for no additional charge but the eips showed that I would be paying $5 more a month. Called back and whoever I talked to confirmed that it would be $5 more per month to jump to the 64gb size.

Dealing with them over this has been miserable.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I was assured yesterday and today by T-mobile that I could upgrade to the 64gb for no additional charge but the eips showed that I would be paying $5 more a month. Called back and whoever I talked to confirmed that it would be $5 more per month to jump to the 64gb size.

Dealing with them over this has been miserable.

I still can't get my second phone on order. I'm going to email the CEO and executive staff to get things sorted out.

Got some more deets for the iPhone Upgrade Program for you guys:

1. MUST be activated with one of those four carriers. No way around it
2. Cannot be used if you have an outstanding contract on that line. If you try, it'll tell you how much you have left to pay off. There will be no way to pay this through Apple's system, you have to do it through a carrier. Also no way around this
3. This is a loan you are taking out, so it does hit your credit
4. Must use a credit card (yes CREDIT CARD, not debit) for the initial transaction. The first transaction is the first month's payment plus tax. After the first payment you can go into the bank's portal and change the payment method to a debit card or bank account if you want to

Any more questions, please ask

2. Cannot be used if you have an outstanding contract on that line. If you try, it'll tell you how much you have left to pay off. There will be no way to pay this through Apple's system, you have to do it through a carrier. Also no way around this
4. Must use a credit card (yes CREDIT CARD, not debit) for the initial transaction. The first transaction is the first month's payment plus tax. After the first payment you can go into the bank's portal and change the payment method to a debit card or bank account if you want to

What do you mean by #2? I thought this was entirely seperate

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Getting a hard pull on your credit for a damned phone = lol.
Just buy the phone outright and make payments to your credit card. Or lease the phone through other carriers that don't hard pull at any time other than when the account is first established.

Just buy the phone outright and make payments to your credit card. Or lease the phone through other carriers that don't hard pull at any time other than when the account is first established.
Also weird how it's a loan but you need a credit card.

No word on if it's a hard pull or soft pull, but I'd take precautions anyway. If you're doing anything credit intensive like applying for a mortgage think carefully if you want the hit

Also weird how it's a loan but you need a credit card.

That's actually one of the ways they verify a line of credit FOR the loan. It works as a credit line, a secondary form of ID, and the initial payment

Top Bottom