• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah, I'm hoping the employee who has my appointment will be able to confirm this or not. Crossing my fingers that it is a soft pull. Honestly, thinking about it..it can't be a hard pull, right? Technically if you upgrade your iPhone once a year like the program says you can, they are reupping your loan, which would require another credit check possibly, no? I can't imagine they would be starting a program that would require hard pulls every year to start your 24 month loan. Maybe it's a hard pull in the first year and then a soft pull every year after. Either way, I can't imagine I will actually buy into the Upgrade Program if it is a hard pull.

My guess is a hard pill for sure the first time to establish the account. Future upgrades on the plan could be soft pulls or no pulls based on payment history.

I can't see them not doing a hard pill for the first one.

Scarphace

Now I'm being told there have been so many order attempts (from reps putting the wrong phone in the EIP documents) that my wife's line is on 48 hour fraud lock which prevents all device orders on the line.

Bloody hell. Love getting punished for their shitty system. Hope John is ready for my email. Apparently 3 levels of escalation can't remove the fraud lock so maybe the CEO can.

Wow that sucks. Does Legere and his team usually respond to issues like this?

My guess is a hard pill for sure the first time to establish the account. Future upgrades on the plan could be soft pulls or no pulls based on payment history.

I can't see them not doing a hard pill for the first one.

I'm half and half on it. On one hand, who is actually going to do this program if they do a hard pull? It financially makes little sense for most people, and your hard pulls should be "saved" for homes and cars ideally. I'd be interested in seeing a poll on it. On the other hand, you are right. Logically, a hard pull makes the most sense for Apple/Citizen's Bank, but the idea of having a hard pull on my report for a phone...is just so unappealing. I know I have other options (ATT Next) so I don't want to make it sound like I'm complaining. I'm just a little surprised I guess.

I also don't know if I can trust a random Apple employee about this so I wish Apple would release some kind of official documentation/report before next Friday establishing whether it is a hard pull or soft. It is a really, really important detail.

It won't be a hard pull every time. You've already set up the credit, you're just paying off and recharging

Yeah I know it'd probably be a soft pull every year after. Just posing a question. It's not as simple as recharging, though. They'll definitely be doing credit checks every time you upgrade, but it would be nutty if it wasn't anything but a soft pull at that point.

Kama_1082

Banned
Yeah, I'm hoping the employee who has my appointment will be able to confirm this or not. Crossing my fingers that it is a soft pull. Honestly, thinking about it..it can't be a hard pull, right? Technically if you upgrade your iPhone once a year like the program says you can, they are reupping your loan, which would require another credit check possibly, no? I can't imagine they would be starting a program that would require hard pulls every year to start your 24 month loan. Maybe it's a hard pull in the first year and then a soft pull every year after. Either way, I can't imagine I will actually buy into the Upgrade Program if it is a hard pull.
It won't be a hard pull every time. You've already set up the credit, you're just paying off and recharging

giga

T-mobile was supposed to call me tonight to fix my JOD order but never did. So I called myself and they upgraded me to the 128GB for free. $470 for the device after 18 months and purchase option. Crazy.

freshair

T-mobile was supposed to call me tonight to fix my JOD order but never did. So I called myself and they upgraded me to the 128GB for free. $470 for the device after 18 months and purchase option. Crazy.

Question is, are you keeping it for the full 18 months or upgrading to the 7 next year? 😛

I've been planning on waiting to upgrade my 6 to a 7 (gotta finish out my contract) but some of the deals you guys are getting make me damn jealous.

kIdMuScLe

I don't know what happened but T-Mobile gave me $800 credit... $500 on Saturday and $300 credit today when I called to fix my JOD order because they couldn't charge my card so I have to go in store and hope for the best that it is not sold out 😔😓😕😒

giga

I don't know what happened but T-Mobile gave me $800 credit... $500 on Saturday and $300 credit today when I called to fix my JOD order because they couldn't charge my card so I have to go in store and hope for the best that it is not sold out 😔😓😕😒
They gave you $800 for free? What the hell haha.

if you have a discover card and ordering online, they have 5% off any purchases from the Apple online store

basically takes care of my taxes, but 750$ still hurts :(

kIdMuScLe

They gave you $800 for free? What the hell haha.

I placed on order for 2 6s+ 16GB and then when I read about the free upgrade here I called again to get 3 6S+ 64 GB and I was on the phone for 2 hours doing that. Then yesterday was on the phone for another hour or so because they couldn't verify my address even though it has been in their system for 10 years and always delivers at the said address and then I was on the phone again for 2 hours today because they were having issues with charging my card and so was told to go in store and hope is not sold out. I'm not sure if there is a mistake or what since none of the reps mentioned it to me. But when I called the second and third time they each promise me $300 credit so I think they forgot to noted in the system lol

giga

I've been planning on waiting to upgrade my 6 to a 7 (gotta finish out my contract) but some of the deals you guys are getting make me damn jealous.
If it makes you feel any better, those of us who took advantage of the JOD promo are stuck with the phone for the next 18 months, so we won't be getting the 7 unless we want to forego the monthly bill credits.

For T-mobile, any tips on getting that $100 money down back for JOD? (free memory variant upgrade).

Btw, thanks for this post, here that tipped me off on it.

I have just now finished getting off the phone talking with T-mobile, and they're now saying it's only for those that had a pre-existing iphone 6 (what a load of bs). I ordered on Saturday and I was sure I'd qualify to get my money back...
Before at work, I tried the online chat cs three times to no avail.

giga

For T-mobile, any tips on getting that $100 money down back for JOD? (free memory variant upgrade).

I have just now finished getting off the phone talking with T-mobile, and they're now saying it's only for those that had a pre-existing iphone 6 (what a load of bs). I ordered on Saturday and I was sure I'd qualify to get my money back...
That's correct, actually. It's a loophole in the $15 iPhone promo they were running in the summer (which I told you guys to take advantage of!).

Scarphace

Before at work, I tried the online chat cs three times to no avail.

What I ended up doing was telling them that their official twitter page mentioned the offer and the rep talked to their sup and was able to do it. I just ended up cancelling the old order.

Aurizen

I placed on order for 2 6s+ 16GB and then when I read about the free upgrade here I called again to get 3 6S+ 64 GB and I was on the phone for 2 hours doing that. Then yesterday was on the phone for another hour or so because they couldn't verify my address even though it has been in their system for 10 years and always delivers at the said address and then I was on the phone again for 2 hours today because they were having issues with charging my card and so was told to go in store and hope is not sold out. I'm not sure if there is a mistake or what since none of the reps mentioned it to me. But when I called the second and third time they each promise me $300 credit so I think they forgot to noted in the system lol

:eek: I want a free iphone!

That's correct, actually. It's a loophole in the $15 iPhone promo they were running in the summer (which I told you guys to take advantage of!).

What I ended up doing was telling them that their official twitter page mentioned the offer and the rep talked to their sup and was able to do it. I just ended up cancelling the old order.

Both cleared up my questions guys. Thanks. Yep, I'm not coming from an old iphone so it looks like I don't qualify! I must have missed something while reading about it.

kIdMuScLe

Also I was told that my lease is not being extend once I pick up my new iPhones 6S+ . I asked every time I called and mentioned to them to noted in my account in case I have an issue later. So basically I'll be paying around $380 for each 64GB S+

Just chatted with online supported with T-Mobile. Looks like I don't have to pay the $99.99 down payment after all. Upgraded from an iPhone 6 64GB to an iPhone 6S+ 64GB. Also, they said on my EIP that it would say $35/month, but they are gonna issue me credit to make sure it stays the same. I pay $25/month right now.

Scarphace

Both cleared up my questions guys. Thanks. Yep, I'm not coming from an old iphone so it looks like I don't qualify! I must have missed something while reading about it.

There are users on reddit that got the fee waived even though they don't have an iPhone so I would keep trying.

Edit: They already have JOD so that may be a factor

This hard/soft credit pull for the upgrade is concerning me about doing it. Also, the requirement to activate the phone right there on a network. I'm on t-mobile's $30/mo prepaid plan. Would I be able to activate it and pop my sim in or does that mean I have to sign up for a post-paid plan?

Hey guys, I know I said "Ask me any questions" and then I passed out. Uncool. I'll try and get more info about if it's a hard or soft pull, but maybe this will help: when you first sign up for service through a carrier they also do a credit check, is that hard or soft? It should be the same as that

As for if a T-Mobile pre-paid plan will work, I don't believe so, I'll ask about that as well. The way it was described to me was post-pay only. I mean one of the requirements is not being on a contract, which isn't even an option with any of the carrier's pre-pay plans

Hattori

Banned
This is the answer I get regarding prepaid accounts, I already have preorder paid in full coming the same day so if this information is wrong, I'll just keep the one I have.
nQWOe1X.jpg

0bC1Kci.jpg

Preordered my iPhone 6S. Wonder how much I can sell my current 6 for.

About $400 give or take $50 depending on the capacity, unlock status, and where you sell it. You'll get the most money on eBay, and they are running a promotion through Sept 30th where you only pay a flat $5 in Final Value fees, which saves you $35+. You still pay the regular PayPal fees.

If you don't wnat to do eBay, your next best option is Gazelle, followed by Glyde or Swappa. With Gazelle you sell it directly to them, and they inspect the phone and everything so there's no risk of fraud. Glyde and Swappa are still user-to-user like eBay, but less prone to fraud due to their smaller popularity lol.

People don't want to possibly affect their credit score to buy a phone.

So a hard pull means your score automatically goes down X points? And it stays down for seven years?

Hattori

Banned
So a hard pull means your score automatically goes down X points? And it stays down for seven years?

a hard pull lasts for 2 years and it's impact is minimal unless you have too many of them. 5 and under should not adversely affect your score. It might drop a point or two but just keep paying your bills in it should go back up in a month or so.

Just called Apple, they said it would be a soft pull. They just want to know what the credit is at that moment, so it shouldn't adversely affect your score

They also said that yes, pre-paid plans should be okay. I'm going to triple check that because to be honest, it doesn't sound right to me, but I want it to be right

Reckoner

For the 6 plus users, how do you even reach comfortably the home button and then re position your hand to better cover your screen usage? I tried many times at the store and it was always very tiring.

No it doesn't automatically do anything. But if you've hit up credit too many times people will start refusing you and if you go outside the magic formula your score will probably start to drop. All hard pulls typically stay on for two years.

Just called Apple, they said it would be a soft pull. They just want to know what the credit is at that moment, so it shouldn't adversely affect your score

They also said that yes, pre-paid plans should be okay. I'm going to triple check that because to be honest, it doesn't sound right to me, but I want it to be right

Excellent. Not that I don't trust you, but hopefully we get more confirmation on that as we get closer to the 25th! Thanks!

For the 6 plus users, how do you even reach comfortably the home button and then re position your hand to better cover your screen usage? I tried many times at the store and it was always very tiring.

I swipe with my thumb. 90% of the actions I take are at the bottom half of the screen.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I just use two hands. No need to one hand it. If I'm driving or doing something else I shouldn't be using my phone anyway.

Fletcher

Does anyone have a link to where it was officially stated about the free memory upgrade? I've called twice and neither time they have known about it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Took me a few days to pull the trigger, but I ordered a 64gb 6s+. I am upgrading from a regular 5. Since I took a few extra days to decide it will ship on Oct 7th.

Juice

Seems like Apple is indeed counting them which means these S iterations are expectedly not outselling the major refreshes.

"not outselling" > actually selling more.

Switching to a new chassis design introduces hundreds of variables that are mostly settled and refined now. The 5S and the 4S benefited from the same massive inventories to sell through to more markets that the 6S has. So it'll come right out of the gate with great sales.

Since iPhones are basically always supply-constrained in Q4, the more they get out into more markets earlier, the more they're going to sell.

Scarphace

Most of my touches are towards the bottom half of my screen for most apps and I use the reachability feature often

MRSA

Banned
So I need my iPhone to be unlocked, T-Mobile won't unlock it until the phone is paid off.

That being said, I could switch my EIP to my brother's account that doesn't have any promos attached to it. T-Mobile's Lifetime Gaurantee right now will pay for a month's service, allow you to keep your payment plan, and unlock your phone. Switch to Cricket for a month or so and then switch him back to my family plan. Sounds complicated but might be doable.

Also another option for people with T-Mobile is with Costco, they'll give you a $100 mail in rebate with any preorder up till the 24th.

A summary of all the ways to buy a 6S from Apple for preorder and after launch

Apple.com:
  • AT&T: Next Plan or Device Only (requires active AT&T account)
  • Verizon: 2 Year Contract (for existing customers), Device Only (requires active Verizon account)
  • T-Mobile: Device Only (no active account required)
  • Sprint: 2 Year Contract, Device Only (requires active Sprint account)

Apple Store:
  • iPhone Upgrade Program: 24 month device payment plan to Apple instead of a carrier with the option to upgrade at 12 months if you turn in the phone and sign up for the IUP again on a new phone. AppleCare+ included in the cost. After 6 months you can make advance payments on the phone, but 6 months is the minimum before you can pay it off. Must be activated on a major carrier. The line that you're upgrading cannot be on a contract like a 2 year or a device payment plan. This does run a credit check. Credit card is required for the in-store payment, debit or pre-paid will not work. You can change the payment method online later to a debit card or bank account if you wish. The phone is unlocked
  • iPhone Installment Plan: Another option through Apple, this is the full cost of the phone divided over 24 months. No AppleCare+ included. No option to upgrade early. In fact, you can't even pay off early, you are in this plan for 24 months no matter what. Also must activate through a carrier and it has the same credit check as the IUP
  • AT&T: AT&T Next, Device only. Active AT&T account only required for financing or device activation. You can buy the device outright without needing an account
  • Verizon: Device Payment Plan, 2 year contract (for existing customers), Device Only. Active Verizon account only required for financing or device activation. You can buy the device outright without needing an account
  • T-Mobile: Installment plan, Device Only. Account only needed for the Installment plan or for options such as Jump, device only doesn't require an account
  • Sprint: 2 Year Contract, Easy Pay, Lease, Device Only. Account needed for any of the payment options, not for device only

However, all the iPhones are the same this year (save for the AT&T one has one extra LTE band that only AT&T uses and they're slowly, slowly rolling it out so chances are good you'll never actually use it). So if you're looking to pay full price for an unlocked phone, any model from any carrier will work. The carrier model just determines which SIM card it comes with, so those can be easily popped out and swapped with whatever you got

The preorder/order process will probably be different if you get it from the carrier themselves. For example, AT&T customers can get a 2 year contract on AT&Ts website, but nowhere else. Best Buy should look the same as the Apple Store minus the Apple Store-only options

Still looking to get absolute, 100% concrete answers on if the iPhone Upgrade Program is a soft pull or a hard pull on your credit, and if you can sign up for it with a pre-paid plan on a carrier instead of a post-pay. I'm just as curious as you guys are

Edit: shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

kaskade

I can't see why you can't do the iPhone upgrade program even though you're on a contract. It's still the same contract, just getting a new phone. It wouldn't make a difference if I just paid the phone full price and popped my old SIM in.

Top Bottom