• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

I can't see why you can't do the iPhone upgrade program even though you're on a contract. It's still the same contract, just getting a new phone. It wouldn't make a difference if I just paid the phone full price and popped my old SIM in.

Because carriers still hold too much power for that and don't want to be dumb pipes.

subrock

For the 6 plus users, how do you even reach comfortably the home button and then re position your hand to better cover your screen usage? I tried many times at the store and it was always very tiring.
I have big hands so I can reach if I'm holding the phone with my first 2 knuckles. That being said, I use the home double tap and interactive pop gesture a lot

Red

Seems I can't use my gift card for either the IUP or barclaycard installment plan. I think I'm going to use a new no interest for 12 months credit card and simply buy the phone outright. 128 GB 6s+. Because it's about time to make a horrendous financial decision.

Kamion

So I need my iPhone to be unlocked, T-Mobile won't unlock it until the phone is paid off.

That's still a thing in America? T-Mobile Germany ships their iPhones unlocked for ages now, they even advertise it. All of their plans have flatrates for calls, text and data anyway so they don't gain anything by making the customer actually use the SIM card. On the contrary, probably.

I feel for you though. I always bit the bullet and bought my phones at Apple before T-Mobile started selling them unlocked.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So I need my iPhone to be unlocked, T-Mobile won't unlock it until the phone is paid off.

That being said, I could switch my EIP to my brother's account that doesn't have any promos attached to it. T-Mobile's Lifetime Gaurantee right now will pay for a month's service, allow you to keep your payment plan, and unlock your phone. Switch to Cricket for a month or so and then switch him back to my family plan. Sounds complicated but might be doable.

Also another option for people with T-Mobile is with Costco, they'll give you a $100 mail in rebate with any preorder up till the 24th.

No reason to unlock the phone until you own it. Pay for it and they will unlock it. Right now they own it so they can do what they want with it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Is there any monetary difference between going with Apple's upgrade plan vs T-Mobile's?

Question, if I get this in the future from apple will it be unlocked? I have T-Mobile.

If you buy the phone outright, no matter how that is, it will be unlocked

If you buy on a payment plan (like T-Mobile's EIF) then it will be locked

Is there any monetary difference between going with Apple's upgrade plan vs T-Mobile's?

I'm gonna be honest, I'm actually super confused about how T-Mobile's stuff works. There EIF, Jump, and Jump On Demand and I don't know the difference between any of them. I was hoping someone here could explain it to me

Aurizen

I'm gonna be honest, I'm actually super confused about how T-Mobile's stuff works. There EIF, Jump, and Jump On Demand and I don't know the difference between any of them. I was hoping someone here could explain it to me

Ah thanks yeah I'm hoping to buy it outright.

Not sure what EIF is but I can explain what the others are

Jump is when you pay half the phone balance off then upgrade. It's good for people like me who upgrade yearly or those who want every new flagship device. You can upgrade or "jump" as many times as you like so as long as half the phone is paid off and you keep insurance attached to the phone.

Jump on demand is similar but different. You don't pay anything out the door with good enough credit and you pay a large portion of the device off per month (usually around 15-20 bucks) and you can upgrade with no minimum device balance for a maximum of three times in a two year period.

My guess is that T-Mobile realized that jump was killing them device wise for the balance of the phones chronic upgraders were doing.

Apple.com says you can still get release day delivery on a 6S. Kinda surprised.

Either they're not selling as much as they say they're selling or Apple's insane production capacities are performing more effectively than we've ever seen.

I remember thinking that the utter collapse of the sapphire production company they contracted with was going to damage their ability to churn out as many units of future devices as they do. lol

Not sure what EIF is but I can explain what the others are

Jump is when you pay half the phone balance off then upgrade. It's good for people like me who upgrade yearly or those who want every new flagship device. You can upgrade or "jump" as many times as you like so as long as half the phone is paid off and you keep insurance attached to the phone.

Jump on demand is similar but different. You don't pay anything out the door with good enough credit and you pay a large portion of the device off per month (usually around 15-20 bucks) and you can upgrade with no minimum device balance for a maximum of three times in a two year period.

My guess is that T-Mobile realized that jump was killing them device wise for the balance of the phones chronic upgraders were doing.

I know Jump is $10 a month, is that on top of the device payment or IS that the device payment?

Either they're not selling as much as they say they're selling or Apple's insane production capacities are performing more effectively than we've ever seen.

I remember thinking that the utter collapse of the sapphire production company they contracted with was going to damage their ability to churn out as many units of future devices as they do. lol

My guess is this is due to the delayed launch date. All iPhones were pretty much available the week after they were revealed.

This is coming 2.5 weeks after the initial reveal. So that means that's a week more of shipments they can have in every store both Apple and cell phone carrier, on hand ready to sell what wasn't there before.

So far as I see it, I'm not surprised they went from "1-2 weeks" to launch date.

I know Jump is $10 a month, is that on top of the device payment or IS that the device payment?

Ontop of it. Because this is your insurance for the phone for T-Mobile to make sure a device that hasn't been paid off can be serviced.

Jump on demand on the other hand assumes the buyer wants full responsibility unless they add the insurance seperately.

Ninja Dom

I have big hands so I can reach if I'm holding the phone with my first 2 knuckles. That being said, I use the home double tap and interactive pop gesture a lot

Yeah, Reachability. Double tap (not press) the home button and the screen moves down so your thumb can reach other parts of the screen.

Fjordson

My guess is this is due to the delayed launch date. All iPhones were pretty much available the week after they were revealed.

This is coming 2.5 weeks after the initial reveal. So that means that's a week more of shipments they can have in every store both Apple and cell phone carrier, on hand ready to sell what wasn't there before.

So far as I see it, I'm not surprised they went from "1-2 weeks" to launch date.
I wish it'd change to "3-4 weeks" soon like the 6S+...I keep thinking about changing my 6S order from 64 GB to 128 lol.

Ontop of it. Because this is your insurance for the phone for T-Mobile to make sure a device that hasn't been paid off can be serviced.

Jump on demand on the other hand assumes the buyer wants full responsibility unless they add the insurance seperately.

Okay, I think I get it. Jump is $10 a month on top of the device payment plan (which I think is 24 months by default?) and allows you to upgrade when you've paid off 50% of the device. It also comes with insurance. You also return the device to T-Mobile, I'm assuming

Jump On Demand is a leasing program set for 18 months, where you pay a down-payment on the phone ($0 for a 16GB iPhone 6S but it scales up from there), you have a monthly payment on the device, and up to three times a year you can just give them your phone and start a new JOD for the next device you pick out, restarting that 18 months lease. If you ride out the lease to 18 months, there's a purchase option

MRSA

Banned
No reason to unlock the phone until you own it. Pay for it and they will unlock it. Right now they own it so they can do what they want with it.

I plan on going overseas, their current promo says they will unlock your phone and still allow you to pay financing rate (cancelling your service). Even though T-Mobile allows for free texting and 2g data overseas, still need voice and 3G options for cheap.

Well, I ordered my Gold iPhone 6S Plus. It'll ship somewhere between Oct. 20-27th. Normally I would be livid, but I can wait. It's just a phone, and it's something I can look forward to. Plus, it gives me a good time frame to try to find a good case for it and some clear skins if I want to do that this time.

I could have taken my chances on the 25th, but I just didn't feel like chasing every store to get the phone I wanted. Also, the AT&T next plan that caught my interest is only available through AT&T themselves and nowhere else, so there's that.

So, question:

I'm with Cricket right now, works great, very happy with it for $35 a month.

The iPhone upgrade program seems like a good deal and something I'd be interested in, but there's no way to do that and remain on Cricket, right?

What would the better option be if so?

Erebus

One week since the announcement and still no reviews whatsoever. We're not gonna get any until the 25th, are we?

big_z

Apple.com says you can still get release day delivery on a 6S. Kinda surprised.

i remember hearing on this is only a test that the 6 outsold the 6+ 3:1 so i would imagine apple has stocked heavy on the 6s and is holding back some on the s+.

it is possible the demand isn't as high though. apple PR says theyre on track to beat last years first week sales but this is with an extra week of preorders to inflate numbers. if demand was crazy they would have said theyre already exceeding last years orders.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I plan on going overseas, their current promo says they will unlock your phone and still allow you to pay financing rate (cancelling your service). Even though T-Mobile allows for free texting and 2g data overseas, still need voice and 3G options for cheap.

If you are going overseas you literally just have to ask them to unlock it for you. You might have to show them an itinerary or something but they should unlock it for you.

Can't decide whether I want the white front or the black front, silver-white looks cooler than space grey-black but I've never had a white iPhone and I'm not sure I'll like the look of it in person

What's everyone else going for?

Wreav

Banned
I've been getting white iPhones since the 5, love em. Black faced phones just look dated to me now. On the 5s especially, it looked and felt like milkglass, which was a treat.

Vyer

Can't decide whether I want the white front or the black front, silver-white looks cooler than space grey-black but I've never had a white iPhone and I'm not sure I'll like the look of it in person

What's everyone else going for?

I alternate. I like the look of the white front, the display 'pops' out imo, while some people say the black front looks more cohesive when watching movies, for example, with black letter boxing. I've never really found that to be the case. Ymmv

I do like the 'space gray' color tone of the back of the black phones more though.

HUELEN10

So, Speck recently announced their best case ever. It is a Candyshell, known for nice hand-friendly design and excellent protection, but this time...
1Hrjjqe.jpg
This thing is gonna look amazing with Rose Gold.

Reckoner

So, Speck recently announced their best case ever. It is a Candyshell, known for nice hand-friendly design and excellent protection, but this time...

It's not the first time I see people talking about those cases. What's so special about them? I don't find them that good looking to be honest. And I don't really like transparent cases.

HUELEN10

It's not the first time I see people talking about those cases. What's so special about them? I don't find them that good looking to be honest. And I don't really like transparent cases.

Speck Candyshell feels great in the hand, is rugged, has a great warranty, combined with a screen protector ensures the phone looks as good as the day you bought it, and now it is completely clear.

Believe the hype.

Enco

Candyshell for the 5S was shit.

Very expensive, uncomfortable due to the straight edges, and unbelievably scratch prone. Looks terrible after a few weeks/months.

Clear case may be better but the price is likely still too high

Hige

I'm confused too. Forty bucks for the honor of having an ugly logo prominently splayed across the back, thereby ruining the whole point of a clear case to show off the phone?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Have used Speck cases with every iPhone since the 3g model. I've never experienced a broken or damaged phone from drops. A good case is a lot cheaper than insurance.

TylerD

I just saw this on the ATT website. So can I just cancel my Apple preorder for the 6S and do this instead? It's cheaper this way anyways.

It was tricky for me when I was trying to preorder my 6s+ Saturday morning through ATT and wanting to keep my grandfathered unlimited data 2 year contract plan. I was pissed when I had to select a different plan after I picked the phone then selected my cart and found that I had the option to keep my Nation 450 + rollover + data. I had to add unlimited messaging because I was doing the $5 for 200.

If I get a case\bumper that tunewear frameXframe looks pretty sweet. Might even do a different color like gold with the space grey. Make it look interesing haha

RDreamer

It was tricky for me when I was trying to preorder my 6s+ Saturday morning through ATT and wanting to keep my grandfathered unlimited data 2 year contract plan. I was pissed when I had to select a different plan after I picked the phone then selected my cart and found that I had the option to keep my Nation 450 + rollover + data. I had to add unlimited messaging because I was doing the $5 for 200.

You had to? I was able to stick with my $5 for 200.

TylerD

You had to? I was able to stick with my $5 for 200.

Yeah, though I had a smart phone unlimited plan and had to switch to the iPhone unlimited plan. This is my first personal iPhone. That may be the reason why my only options were pay per message at 20c or unlimited :/

Aurizen

I usually go for their neohybrid case I love those!

I ordered myself the Frame x Frame yesterday also(6S+). With that though, I'm guessing I'll need some backside protection film too. I wonder if the bumpers are raised enough to protect the back.

Top Bottom