• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Nasser

Plus buyers with fairly small hands, how are you planning to use the phone with one hand comfortably?

I'm thinking about getting the finger grip? anyone? I know it's ugly but I tried to use my friend's 6 Plus with one hand and it was really impossible without it.

Zizbuka

Banned
Well, we took the plunge today. Guess I'm going back to iPhone.........

Went to AT&T store, ordered 2 64gb 6S's, both gold/white. They had a promotion, so also got 2 ipad mini 2's for $100 each. They've been added to my plan, so now we'll have access when we go away. And they increased our shared data from 10gb/month to 15gb.

All in all, happy with the decision. I'll miss a lot of features Android has and/or does better imo, but I'll probably switch back to my Oneplus some times.

edit: No backorder, scheduled to ship on 9/24 so that's good.

Resnais

Neo Member
Plus buyers with fairly small hands, how are you planning to use the phone with one hand comfortably?

I'm thinking about getting the finger grip? anyone? I know it's ugly but I tried to use my friend's 6 Plus with one hand and it was really impossible without it.

Armwrestling is a great solution (negative side effect- ps4 controller and psvita becomes too small)

images

Hold the phone with the base of your fingers rather than squarely in the palm.

Red

Just ordered a 128GB gold 6s+ with apple care. Paid up front. $750 after a $400 gift card. This is the first new iPhone I've ever bought. How do people afford this every year? That's an insane price for a phone. I wonder if iPhone sales will be affected at all by the decline of subsidized prices. Probably not.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just ordered a 128GB gold 6s+ with apple care. Paid up front. $750 after a $400 gift card. This is the first new iPhone I've ever bought. How do people afford this every year? That's an insane price for a phone. I wonder if iPhone sales will be affected at all by the decline of subsidized prices. Probably not.

Start leasing your phones and you will pay less.

I pay $19 per month to have a 6s+.
Basically $228 per year to be on the latest iPhone.

Even if the promo expires and I have to pay full lease payments next year, I will only have to pay $31.25 per month or $375 per year.

No reason to own the phone if I know I will upgrade every year at least once anyway.

Believe it or not you were paying the same thing with subsidized pricing. You just didn't see it directly because it was tied into your rate plan.
Now that your rate plan should be cheaper since you get your phone outright, then you can start to see the true device cost.

rezuth

I rest it on my little finger and keep my three other fingers at the back center and I can reach most except the top right corner but I just double on the home button for that. It felt off at first but now it's second nature.

Red

Start leasing your phones and you will pay less.

I pay $19 per month to have a 6s+.
Basically $228 per year to be on the latest iPhone.

Even if the promo expires and I have to pay full lease payments next year, I will only have to pay $31.25 per month or $375 per year.

No reason to own the phone if I know I will upgrade every year at least once anyway.

Believe it or not you were paying the same thing with subsidized pricing. You just didn't see it directly because it was tied into your rate plan.
Now that your rate plan should be cheaper since you get your phone outright, then you can start to see the true device cost.
I don't upgrade that often, and I'd rather not be tied to a lease. I've been waiting for an iPhone with 4K and 2GB RAM for years, and I plan to keep this one (barring any serious problems) for as long as I can. I am switching to T mobile from Verizon tonight, going from $180/month to $100/month for the same service. Maybe there was a cheaper way to go about this. I don't know. But I have no interest for 12 months on the card I used, which should be okay. I am still saving a lot versus sticking with Verizon and not getting a phone, so I'm happy with things.

subrock

You can usually recoup about 60% of the cost by selling it each year. Also, $20 less a month on my bill without the device cost means I'm only paying about $300 a year to have a new phone. I don't use anything more often, so I think it's worth it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I don't upgrade that often, and I'd rather not be tied to a lease. I've been waiting for an iPhone with 4K and 2GB RAM for years, and I plan to keep this one (barring any serious problems) for as long as I can. I am switching to T mobile from Verizon tonight, going from $180/month to $100/month for the same service. Maybe there was a cheaper way to go about this. I don't know. But I have no interest for 12 months on the card I used, which should be okay. I am still saving a lot versus sticking with Verizon and not getting a phone, so I'm happy with things.

With T-Mobile's lease (Jump on Demand) you have the option to pay off the remaining balance at any time if you feel like owning the phone. You aren't tied to anything as you can do what you want. Trade in the phone, keep it, sell it. The choice is yours.

You can keep it and pay no more than retail, or you can trade it in. There really isn't a negative to it when you consider time value of money. It is more expensive to pay $750 today than to pay $750 amortized over X amount of months.

Yeah but he's just a man after all. We shouldn't have to stop our businesses because a guy comes to our country >_> But whatever, pick up is still available which I recommend doing anyway

I dont disagree, but he is also going to attract 2-3 million more people in each city in large group gatherings. Trust me I wish he werent, hes literally made my job a nightmare the last 2 weeks haha

With T-Mobile's lease (Jump on Demand) you have the option to pay off the remaining balance at any time if you feel like owning the phone. You aren't tied to anything as you can do what you want. Trade in the phone, keep it, sell it. The choice is yours.

You can keep it and pay no more than retail, or you can trade it in. There really isn't a negative to it when you consider time value of money. It is more expensive to pay $750 today than to pay $750 amortized over X amount of months.

T-Mobile on twitter said you can't pay off the device early with jod in a DM to me.

Here is what they told me pricing would be

For the iPhone 6s Plus, your down payment with Jump On Demand would be: $552.00 for the 16GB, $627.99 for the 64GB, and $703.99 for the 128GB model.
Your pay-off amount for each would be: $59.99 for the 16gb (to total $623.99), $96 for the 64GB (to total $723.99), and $120 for the 128GB (to total $823.99)

So then I responded

Could I pay the $96 for the 64gb version immediately after getting the phone and cancel jump on demand?

And T-Mobile responded back

Great question! Paying the $96 immediately after starting the lease is not an option, as it would only be something you could do once the 18 month lease agreement is completed. I

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
T-Mobile on twitter said you can't pay off the device early with jod in a DM to me.

Here is what they told me pricing would be

So then I responded

And T-Mobile responded back

Sell the device. Put the money into an account. Pay the lease with said money?
Pretty sure if you cancel service with T-mobile you will owe the remainder of the device if you wanted to force the issue.

Red

You can usually recoup about 60% of the cost by selling it each year. Also, $20 less a month on my bill without the device cost means I'm only paying about $300 a year to have a new phone. I don't use anything more often, so I think it's worth it.

Thanks for the info! My wife hasn't upgraded yet but we'll consider JoD when she decides to. I'm still okay with my purchase since I could use my Apple Store gift card through apple.com, but it's good to know there are cheaper options for the future.

Sell the device. Put the money into an account. Pay the lease with said money?
Pretty sure if you cancel service with T-mobile you will owe the remainder of the device if you wanted to force the issue.

I guess this is one way to go about it. Thought the device would be tied to your account somehow and couldn't go over to someone else.

samn

People that buy every year, I imagine, are either quite well off, or they trade in their old iPhone (they hold resale value well), or they don't go for the highest storage option/Plus/AppleCare.

gimmmick

Do you think 64 gig version will be well over enough for 4k video for the next 2 years? I stream majority of my music though I like to take a lot of pictures / video when I'm on vacation or going out.

Goddamn. That K11 Kickstarter went from 800 backers or so this morning to 1,320 and its $8k away from being funded. I wonder if anyone important posted it besides on here. It's definitely gonna happen now.

Yes. I have that same Evutec case for my 5S. It's the sturdiest case I've ever owned. A good balance between aesthetics and sturdiness. I'm going to miss it when I get my 6S+.

Thank you for your feedback. I have one other question. Is there a decent lip to protect the screen when it's face down? I don't think I'll invest in a screen protector and would like to know if it'll be safe face down.

1. dont buy128gb for starters. you bought the highest spec possible so of course its gonna run you
2. sell your old one to recoup almost 30-40% off the price. you can sell a good condition 5s for a good $250-300 still. 400$ for a 6/6+
3. dont update every year, choose a cycle. The S cycle or the number cycle.

Barzul

Are the iPhone leather cases worth it? I like the minimalist look to them and I'm considering getting one come launch with my 6s

Always rocked the black phone since the iPhone 3G, had my 6S+ space grey order locked in but just cancelled it for the gold. Sadly I now won't get it until October, hope I don't regret the colour change.

samn

Do you think 64 gig version will be well over enough for 4k video for the next 2 years? I stream majority of my music though I like to take a lot of pictures / video when I'm on vacation or going out.

If you don't mind

1. older videos being stored full-size on iCloud and compressed on device, which will require an iCloud subscription

2. moving videos off the iPhone completely once in a while

then the 64GB will likely be enough.

TheZink

Are the iPhone leather cases worth it? I like the minimalist look to them and I'm considering getting one come launch with my 6s
I have one on my 5s and Air 2 and love them. Also have protected my phone and sadly iPad through a few major drops on concrete and they came out unscathed. I ordered the Brown leather case for my 6s+

Yeah, though I had a smart phone unlimited plan and had to switch to the iPhone unlimited plan. This is my first personal iPhone. That may be the reason why my only options were pay per message at 20c or unlimited :/

This is correct, the same thing happened to me a few years ago when I got my first iPhone. It's because since the iPhone has iMessage, which uses data and not text, they are obligated to gouge you somewhere else since you probably won't be using more than 200 texts. Enter required unlimited plan that costs more for no freaking reason! I love oligopolies and the government's refusal to do anything about them!

Top Bottom