• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Juice

Do you think 64 gig version will be well over enough for 4k video for the next 2 years? I stream majority of my music though I like to take a lot of pictures / video when I'm on vacation or going out.

If you're using iCloud Photo Library it'll be fine. It just deletes what there isn't room for once it's been uploaded

Ninja Dom

Just ordered a 128GB gold 6s+ with apple care. Paid up front. $750 after a $400 gift card. This is the first new iPhone I've ever bought. How do people afford this every year? That's an insane price for a phone. I wonder if iPhone sales will be affected at all by the decline of subsidized prices. Probably not.

I afford it by selling the previous iPhone. They hold good value. I always get the highest memory configuration. My actual plan is a cheap sim only plan and I buy the iPhone outright, sim-free every year.

Just ordered a 128GB gold 6s+ with apple care. Paid up front. $750 after a $400 gift card. This is the first new iPhone I've ever bought. How do people afford this every year? That's an insane price for a phone. I wonder if iPhone sales will be affected at all by the decline of subsidized prices. Probably not.

i set money aside for it.

Red

1. dont buy128gb for starters. you bought the highest spec possible so of course its gonna run you
2. sell your old one to recoup almost 30-40% off the price. you can sell a good condition 5s for a good $250-300 still. 400$ for a 6/6+
3. dont update every year, choose a cycle. The S cycle or the number cycle.
I've never before gone for a high-spec phone, and I've actually never bought a new iPhone before the 6s. My wallet hurts. I feel guilty about the purchase. But I have a two month old son and I justify it by being able to deliver high quality pictures and video to relatives. I am also a fan of the moondog labs anamorphic lens adapter for my 5s, and I'd like to get the 6s model and play around with 4k anamorphic footage. If the camera is what I hope it is, the price will be easier to swallow.

I will look into selling my 16GB 5s once the 6s gets here. I hope I can get at least $250 for it. I have two iPhone 4ses that can go as well. Also got to sell these shitty kyocera rally phones I had to buy to switch the T mobile. Wonder if it's worth keeping a back up or if the apple care plan will treat me well enough that damage won't be a worry.

My 6S silicone case was delivered today (via the online Apple Store). I was hoping it would be more rubbery, as those absorb impact more, but it's more of a semi-hard shell. Looks nice though. It's annoying that no one makes rubber cases anymore. My incase 4S rubber case absorbed many falls onto concrete and my phone never suffered any damage.

Rootbeer

Banned
The Veil from Caudabe probably the one I liked the most. Too bad, it's only for the US :/

Hmm, I really like this one. They have 6S/6S+ versions coming on the 25th. Great price too. I'll try to get one of these. I just need something that will protect from scratches and mild bump or short distance drop protection. I'm super careful with my phone and have never damaged one, so minimal cases are for me.

This seems like a good place to ask without starting a new thread:

I have cracked the screen on my Iphone 6 plus. I urgently need a new screen as I am travelling to the US in two weeks. The customer rep booked me for an appoitment at my apple store, and the website said it is normally completed on the same day... But what I'm curious about is whether or not it's something that can be done in munites or a case of hours?

Trancos

They don't fix your screen. They take your phone and give you a refurbished one. It takes no longer than 10 minutes. Just remember to make a back up before you go to the store.

They don't fix your screen. They take your phone and give you a refurbished one. It takes no longer than 10 minutes. Just remember to make a back up before you go to the store.

they do fix your screen, depending on the extent of the damage. sometimes it's not a simple case of taking the screen out and putting a new one in, if the metal frame is bent for example.

but if they can just fix the screen, it takes an hour or so.

Sean

Banned
This seems like a good place to ask without starting a new thread:

I have cracked the screen on my Iphone 6 plus. I urgently need a new screen as I am travelling to the US in two weeks. The customer rep booked me for an appoitment at my apple store, and the website said it is normally completed on the same day... But what I'm curious about is whether or not it's something that can be done in munites or a case of hours?

I cracked my iPhone 6 a few months ago and they fixed it in like 30-40 mins, repair cost was about $110 iirc. Might cost a little more on the 6 Plus since that's a bigger screen. But it doesn't take long at all.

cluderi

Got a choice of Rose Gold or Gold to pick up at launch. As a 42 year old guy who has had nothing but grey or black phones I'm torn between them. I had nothing but iphones from the original to late 2012 and then swapped to Android, looking forward to getting back to an iphone again.

(p.s. these bumper case recommendations are fantastic, I thought I'd end up having the entire rear covered by a case. Just need to grab a screen protector now as I somehow managed to scuff/scratch my HTC M8 screen)

My favorite case from the 5 / 5S era was the Pixelskin HD. I'm sad they didn't update it for the 6 era. It was very thin, sturdy and very protective.

Hopfrog

Anyone else order a 6S+ through AT&T. Did it so I could keep my unlimited plan, and I only upgrade every couple of years anyway. Any thoughts on whether the rumors about supply chain issues or low stock mean that the current estimated dates for mid-October become firm dates?

I pre-ordered at about 3:30 CST on the 12th by the way, so about 30-40 minutes after pre-orders opened up.

Anyone else order a 6S+ through AT&T. Did it so I could keep my unlimited plan, and I only upgrade every couple of years anyway. Any thoughts on whether the rumors about supply chain issues or low stock mean that the current estimated dates for mid-October become firm dates?

I pre-ordered at about 3:30 CST on the 12th by the way, so about 30-40 minutes after pre-orders opened up.

I pre-ordered through AT&T since they were the only ones that had a downpayment for AT&T Next. Anyways, I'm checking the AT&T Order thread on MacRumors, and if you're order is "Preparing to Ship", you're most likely good. If you're still "In Process", you're a step behind, but it's still too soon to know for sure if it's backordered or not. Honestly, we would get a better idea of when we'll be getting our phones next week.

Hopfrog

I pre-ordered through AT&T since they were the only ones that had a downpayment for AT&T Next. Anyways, I'm checking the AT&T Order thread on MacRumors, and if you're order is "Preparing to Ship", you're most likely good. If you're still "In Process", you're a step behind, but it's still too soon to know for sure if it's backordered or not. Honestly, we would get a better idea of when we'll be getting our phones next week.

I have been reading those same threads. My order status has been "Preparing to Ship" since about late Saturday I think, but I agree that we probably won't know anything for certain until next week.

Ninja Dom

Yes!!

My order with Apple has moved up from "Processing Order" to "Preparing for Dispatch". I should be on track for launch day delivery.

RDreamer

I wish I knew. I ordered at 3:03 CST and mine says the same as you. Preparing to ship. Estimated shipping date Oct 16-23

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Got to say I'm disappointed that 6S is somewhat heavier than 6 which was already heavier than 5. The thickness increase is so somall that I'm sure it's unnoticeable, but I don't like that they keep increasing weight. I also heard they have less powerful battery in 6S compared to 6, so I really don't get where the weight increase comes from. On a side note, can't believe they are going with a weaker battery, even if I assume the CPU possibly uses less power.

Erebus

Got to say I'm disappointed that 6S is somewhat heavier than 6 which was already heavier than 5. The thickness increase is so somall that I'm sure it's unnoticeable, but I don't like that they keep increasing weight. I also heard they have less powerful battery in 6S compared to 6, so I really don't get where the weight increase comes from. On a side note, can't believe they are going with a weaker battery, even if I assume the CPU possibly uses less power.
The additional weight comes from the 3D touch display.

Bloodrage

Banned
Eh, I don't like feeling like I'm carrying around some cheap plastic toy either so I don't mind the extra weight. I prefer the weight of my 4S over the 6.

Doesn't the weight increase stem from them using a stronger formula of metal for the case to combat the bending that some users experienced last year?

rhino4evr

I wish I knew. I ordered at 3:03 CST and mine says the same as you. Preparing to ship. Estimated shipping date Oct 16-23

I got in at 3:30am eat.thanks to their site constantly crashing. I honestly don't. Understand how it's possible the shipping date it mid October. I keep waiting to see and email that the date was an error

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Eh, I don't like feeling like I'm carrying around some cheap plastic toy either so I don't mind the extra weight. I prefer the weight of my 4S over the 6.
6 doesn't feel cheap by any means imaginable. I just don't like things in my pockets to get heavier. Speaking of, I now remember that I could feel when iphone 4 was in my pocket, but I practically forget that 5 or 6 are there, so just as they finally broke that weight barrier (for me at least) they are going back over it with 6S.

Doesn't the weight increase stem from them using a stronger formula of metal for the case to combat the bending that some users experienced last year?
I think the slight size increase is because of that (about 0.2mm in every direction), but I just checked and really all the weight increase seems to come from the heavier screen, which is really weird considering that weight increase is not insignificant (especially considering that the battery is probably lighter too, as it is lower capacity). The new screen is more than twice as heavy as the older one.

Just picked up a 6S Plus Leather Case and Silicone Case at the Apple Store.

Checked out the Leather Black and Rose Gray and noticed that a lot of the leather cases have different stretch marks on them so if you want one without you have to go the store and ask them to open for you, which I did.

Picked up a Black Leather Case and Charcoal Silicone. The 6S cases still weren't on the floor but they will take them from the back if the store has them in stock.

Mideon

Preparing for Dispatch here in the UK too. Got my Apple Pay notification earlier that they took the money since I paid using the app and Apple Pay

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
After emailing the CEO of T-Mobile I got a call and my order was placed in 25 minutes. Got bumped to the front of the preorder line for my troubles.

Top Bottom