• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

gruenel

Bendgate 2.0?

I don't see much improvement over the 6 and 6 plus, just different colors. Not sure how much better the a9 cpu is compared to the a8.

Did you even watch the keynote bro?

Almost twice as fast CPU and GPU, double the RAM (supposedly), way better camera, 3D touch, better materials, faster touch ID, etc etc.

Yeah the colors are all that changed. Right.

You'll both need to upgrade online at AT&T's website. They've gotten rid of subsidized contracts at third-party retailer stores and in-store orders at AT&T corporate locations so the only option is to order online. You can upgrade at an Apple Store if you want, but they'll force you to upgrade using AT&T NEXT which is their monthly payment plan. Additionally you could always buy the phone off-contract full retail and then just switch it to your account.

I'm curious about this, too. I've always got my phone at Apple Stores, but I don't want to lose my unlimited data...

I'd also like to know this. I'm on an ATT unlimited data plan so what are my options to upgrade?

Vyer

Yeah, I have seen maybe two crashes the whole time I've had a 6. App crashes maybe a handful or so times. And it's pretty much the same couple of apps. I do see a lot of Safari refreshes though.

Saying the 6 lags 'all the time' is not true in my experience.

I don't believe this. My brother's, my sister's and my 6+ run/ran like shit meanwhile my sister-in-law's 6 runs like butter.

They are talking about a 6, I believe.

ZeroX03

Banned
My 6 Plus has been... inconsistent. Certainly not as bad as my S3 or Note 3 which were disasters, but Safari especially has plenty of reloading issues and drains the battery like no business. I can go from 100% to 50% in two hours of surfing, but it can stay on standby for days while barely draining. 5S and Air 2 have been very consistent all round. The revision models are usually a lot more stable, which is why I'm upgrading.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Okay, I'm someone who knows jack shit about phones. I use them for talking, texting, internet, and occasionally some apps like Yikyak and Snapchat. That's it. I currently have a Galaxy S4. I really dislike the lollipop update and was curious to finally go over to the dark side and try an iphone. But I'm told that samsung had the best phone before the Iphone 6s was revealed for reasons I can't remmeber right now. I think they said it had the better camera.

Can someone give me a comprehensive rundown on what I should upgrade to? The new Galaxy that I saw in the store or the new Iphone?

Are you expecting anyone in this iPhone thread to steer you away from an iPhone?

If you're heavily tied into Google services, or just like the way Android does things, you're probably going to hate iOS. If you've never used an iPhone, might as well give it a try. You can always return it if/when you find yourself annoyed by its many shortcomings.

How does the iPhone upgrade program differ from the existing Verizon "get a new phone for a monthly fee" plans? (I don't know what Verizon's plan is called)
For Verizon's program you make 24 monthly payments on the device until you own it completely or you can at any time choose to completely pay off your phone and then get a new one. Apple's program has you sign a two year financing agreement to make a payment monthly over 24 months until the phone is paid off. However after 12 months you can choose to return the phone to them and get the latest new iPhone. Their plan also includes Apple Care+ Insurance.

Apple's program will be more expensive because it's based under the fact that you'll want to get a new phone every year and also because it comes with insurance. Verizon's is cheaper per month, but you can only upgrade when the phone is fully paid off. However the flip side is once you pay off the phone on Verizon's plan it is yours to keep whereas if you upgrade in 12 months on Apple's plan you must trade the phone in towards a new one.

Apple's plan isn't bad if you want to constantly have the latest iPhone, but understand you'll basically be paying them a minimum of $400 every year for it.

Dafuq with AU price rise?! I'm so cut right now

MYkpPme.jpg

Sorry bro. I know that feel.

Shenmue

Banned
Yeah, I have seen maybe two crashes the whole time I've had a 6. App crashes maybe a handful or so times. And it's pretty much the same couple of apps. I do see a lot of Safari refreshes though.

Saying the 6 lags 'all the time' is not true in my experience.

They are talking about a 6, I believe.

Nope I'm talking about the 6 plus.

I have no experience at all with the 6. But the 6 plus has just been a disaster for the year I've owned it.

I paid a little over 1000 bucks for this because I have the 128gb one and I would never recommend this phone to anyone.

I think at least 3 or 4 people in this thread have already talked about the very inconsistent performance of the plus model so it may be some issue with powering the bigger screen or something? Who knows.

A 16GB base model in this day and age is complete bullshit. Apple does it for a clear reason too, to get people to spend $100 more for a 64GB. Don't give me this "Oh, 99% of users with a 16GB model don't use half of their space!" of course they don't, because iOS9 will ALREADY USE IT FOR THEM. Without expandable storage, 32GB should be the MINIMUM for a phone. MINIMUM.

Blows my mind watching these threads at the amount of people who want to upgrade from their iPhone 6. A 4 or 5, sure but a 6 is still amazing. We're all idiots.

That said, bring on the 7! Yiiiew!

boxter432

A 16GB base model in this day and age is complete bullshit. Apple does it for a clear reason too, to get people to spend $100 more for a 64GB. Don't give me this "Oh, 99% of users with a 16GB model don't use half of their space!" of course they don't, because iOS9 will ALREADY USE IT FOR THEM. Without expandable storage, 32GB should be the MINIMUM for a phone. MINIMUM.

image.php

at least icloud storage is cheap?

waxer

Man that price in new Zealand $1599nz $1005usd. Lucky in law paying for wife's one. So much I'd rather spend that on. Love the phones hate the price. Personally can't justify it.

Blows my mind watching these threads at the amount of people who want to upgrade from their iPhone 6. A 4 or 5, sure but a 6 is still amazing. We're all idiots.

A lot of people here live in Europe, where that is an option due to no two year contracts, and since contracts are gone here in the states, that will be the standard, plus this is NeoGAF, the home of early adopters and deep regrets afterwards.

Also, people still have the 4? 4S maybe, but the 4?

headaze

Neo Member
Trade policies, currency fluctuations, expected demand, company policy; just to name a few.

Sure it sucks, but you can't expect imported goods to always remain at the same price when the economic climate is changing.

I agree there are other factors but still...

My level of tolerance for yearly price increases
10% acceptable
15% pain but I'll still bite
20% dafuq

Makes it worse that our dollar is similar to CAD and they will be paying almost 26% less.

RM8

I'm still rocking a 5C and I really have no problems at all. Except for that new Roller Coaster Tycoon game being the first game to not be compatible with my phone. I don't want to upgrade, I got an iPhone in part because I don't like big phones :( Would buying an iPhone 5S future-proof me a bit more? How does it compare to the new iPod Touch?

Gazelle is going to give me $476 for my iPhone 6+ 128GB model. The premium that Verizon is going to charge me on my phone bill for being on contract for the next year is $240. I can jump on the upgrade cycle at $47.45 and effectively get the first five months for free.

Here's my math:

Two year contract
$399 (Purchase Price)
+$480 (Verizon tax of $40/mo instead of $20/mo for line rental)
+$99 (Applecare)
-$201 (Gazelle)
=$777 effective phone price over 2 years
=$388.50 per year

Outright once per year
$949 (Purchase Price)
+$0 (Verizon)
+$99 (Applecare)
-$476 (Gazelle)
=$572 per year

Apple Upgrade
$569.40 (12 month upgrade plan/lease @ $47.45/mo)
+$0 (Verizon)
+$0 (Applecare)
-$0 (Gazelle)
=$569.40 per year

So it costs me $180.90 per year extra to be on the latest and greatest instead of being on a two year cycle. Fucking peanuts in the world of cell phone TCO.

YMMV if you don't pick up Applecare for all your stuff (I do) and if you use a lower end phone (I don't).

TxdoHawk

I'm just happy to finally see LTE Band 12 support for T-Mobile. They are rolling it out big-time out here in the Tri-state area, shit is gonna be wondeful.

I'm still rocking a 5C and I really have no problems at all. Except for that new Roller Coaster Tycoon game being the first game to not be compatible with my phone. I don't want to upgrade, I got an iPhone in part because I don't like big phones :( Would buying an iPhone 5S future-proof me a bit more? How does it compare to the new iPod Touch?
The 6th generation iPod Touch has a newer and better CPU than the iPhone 5S, but other than that the 5S is overall better. If you don't need to upgrade you could always wait until next year and see what happens since they might release a smaller iPhone 7 alongside the other two models.

Deadstar

Anyone do the math on AT&T Next vs Apple Upgrade? I'm not sure I understand the apple upgrade plan yet. Next gives me a discount on my monthly rate so if I go through apple I doubt AT&T will give me any type of discount.

So, if I already have an existing ATT account, I can just do the apple upgrade thing right and not even deal with att?
Yes you can just stay on your AT&T plan and upgrade your phone with Apple instead if you want.

Anyone do the math on AT&T Next vs Apple Upgrade? I'm not sure I understand the apple upgrade plan yet. Next gives me a discount on my monthly rate so if I go through apple I doubt AT&T will give me any type of discount.
The discounted monthly rate is through financing with AT&T NEXT or bringing your own device so if you buy a phone from Apple you'll still get that discount.

If you need to have the latest iPhone every year then Apple's plan is going to be the better bet, but it'll be more expensive than taking a longer upgrade path on an AT&T NEXT 24 month plan.

RM8

The 6th generation iPod Touch has a newer and better CPU than the iPhone 5S, but other than that the 5S is overall better. If you don't need to upgrade you could always wait until next year and see what happens since they might release a smaller iPhone 7 alongside the other two models.
Yeah, I think I'm waiting. Worst case scenario, I buy a new iPod Touch for cheaper next year.

UFO

Banned
Gazelle is going to give me $476 for my iPhone 6+ 128GB model. The premium that Verizon is going to charge me on my phone bill for being on contract for the next year is $240. I can jump on the upgrade cycle at $47.45 and effectively get the first five months for free.

Here's my math:

Two year contract
$399 (Purchase Price)
+$480 (Verizon tax of $40/mo instead of $20/mo for line rental)
+$99 (Applecare)
-$201 (Gazelle)
=$777 effective phone price over 2 years
=$388.50 per year

Outright once per year
$949 (Purchase Price)
+$0 (Verizon)
+$99 (Applecare)
-$476 (Gazelle)
=$572 per year

Apple Upgrade
$569.40 (12 month upgrade plan/lease @ $47.45/mo)
+$0 (Verizon)
+$0 (Applecare)
-$0 (Gazelle)
=$569.40 per year

So it costs me $180.90 per year extra to be on the latest and greatest instead of being on a two year cycle. Fucking peanuts in the world of cell phone TCO.

YMMV if you don't pick up Applecare for all your stuff (I do) and if you use a lower end phone (I don't).

I don't understand how Verizons upgrade plan works anymore, didn't they get rid of subsidizing phones with their new "one plan"?

I just got on my sisters post paid plan (after being on verizon pre-paid) and I'm still using the Galaxy S6 that I paid for outright. How do I go about getting an "upgrade"?

You'll both need to upgrade online at AT&T's website. They've gotten rid of subsidized contracts at third-party retailer stores and in-store orders at AT&T corporate locations so the only option is to order online. You can upgrade at an Apple Store if you want, but they'll force you to upgrade using AT&T NEXT which is their monthly payment plan. Additionally you could always buy the phone off-contract full retail and then just switch it to your account.

Thanks for clearing this up. Much appreciated.

I don't understand how Verizons upgrade plan works anymore, didn't they get rid of subsidizing phones with their new "one plan"?

I just got on my sisters post paid plan (after being on verizon pre-paid) and I'm still using the Galaxy S6 that I paid for outright. How do I go about getting an "upgrade"?
If you want a new phone you have two options. You can use Verizon's interest free financing program where they'll add a monthly payment onto your plan for 24 months until the phone is paid off or you can pay the full off-contract retail price for the phone and just add it to your account.

For instance an iPhone 6 16GB will add $27.08 per month to your plan for 24 months after of which you'll have paid about $650 for it which is the retail price. There's no contract so you can get a new phone whenever you want BUT you must pay off the current device first.

nynt9

Do we know if Apple or any other carrier will be selling unlocked phones this time around?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Pluses

- Camera seems like a real improvement the MP jump will be noticed on high resolution screens
- Faster WiFi is a bonus
- New chipset seems fast

Minuses

- Apple screwing 6S users out of OIS
- 1 GB of RAM rumor prexisting is a total boner killer
- Same design means camera hump
- Force touch seems like it could be iffy especially with one handed use
- 16 gig base BLOWS

If you go on a two year contract for a subsidized upfront phone the line fee is $40 a month instead of $20 a month. Unless you're getting $480 worth of phone for free or an equivalent price difference it's cheaper over two years to source the phone yourself or go on installment plans.

So it's not that they got rid of it, just that they made the subsidized option completely fucking suck.

Do we know if Apple or any other carrier will be selling unlocked phones this time around?
Apple usually sells a sim-free version which comes unlocked. The carrier versions are usually sold locked to their own networks, but that may vary. I know AT&T will unlock a phone for you if it's paid in full (IE if you buy the off-contract version for instance), and I thought T-Mobile did something like that.

RDreamer

Thanks for the answer.

Would Apple's upgrade plan or whatever they're calling it work the same way? Could I grab one of those for 40 bucks a month and connect it to my account and keep my unlimited?

Thanks for the answer.

Would Apple's upgrade plan or whatever they're calling it work the same way? Could I grab one of those for 40 bucks a month and connect it to my account and keep my unlimited?
Yes it shouldn't change anything at all. A lot of issues with keeping unlimited data appear when somebody tries to upgrade with a subsidized contract, but in the case of getting the phone with Apple the only thing you'll be doing is switching the sim card from your old phone to the new one.

If you want a new phone you have two options. You can use Verizon's interest free financing program where they'll add a monthly payment onto your plan for 24 months until the phone is paid off or you can pay the full off-contract retail price for the phone and just add it to your account.

For instance an iPhone 6 16GB will add $27.08 per month to your plan for 24 months after of which you'll have paid about $650 for it which is the retail price. There's no contract so you can get a new phone whenever you want BUT you must pay off the current device first.

So basically pay off my iPhone 6 that's on the Edge program, upgrade to a 6S (also on the edge program or whatever it's now called) and then sell my iPhone 6 to recoup some or most of my "loss". Sounds like a plan.

rhino4evr

Ok so my question, does the new iPhone typically go on sale / pre order on the ATT website the same time as the Apple Store website?

madmook

Damn, I bought a tpu iPhone 6 case on Amazon because it was on sale for $2, in anticipation of getting the 6s (currently on 5s), thinking that they wouldn't change the size. But according to the specs the 6s is 0.2mm thicker and taller, now this shit I bought probably won't fit.

FML

Kraftwerk

I'm on the nexus 6 right now . would love this, but going to hold out a little more longer and get the 7 when it comes out. Gotta be patient.... Hnnnggg

Verizon doesn't seem to have a lot of info on their payment plan system for upgrade. I have a 5S that I got with them the day it was released on a 2 year contract (subsidized). This means I am done with my contract and am eligible to get another phone. If I want to buy a 6S on their payment plan with the new no-contract phone plan do I have to turn in my 5S? It doesn't seem to make sense to have to turn in a phone that I just finished paying full price for.

gruenel

Gonna get the 6s with an apple silicone or leather case. Are those actually good? I've read some reports of them falling apart after just a few months, but I think they're the best looking cases around.

Wait, so if the new mini is going to have the insides of the Air 2, does that include the 2GB of RAM as well?

If so, then looks like my current Mini is going to be meeting eBay soon.

Tendo

I want to do apple upgrade but my nearest store is an hour away and I have to work Friday. By the time I get there my phone will get to me in February. :/

Ok so my question, does the new iPhone typically go on sale / pre order on the ATT website the same time as the Apple Store website?
It should. AT&T Announced that preorders will go live on Saturday at 3:00AM Eastern which is the same time Apple said their preorders will go live.

Verizon doesn't seem to have a lot of info on their payment plan system for upgrade. I have a 5S that I got with them the day it was released on a 2 year contract (subsidized). This means I am done with my contract and am eligible to get another phone. If I want to buy a 6S on their payment plan with the new no-contract phone plan do I have to turn in my 5S? It doesn't seem to make sense to have to turn in a phone that I just finished paying full price for.
No you don't. Additionally if you have an old plan with subsidized contract you MAY be able to get another subsidized phone again. I believe Verizon only killed contracts for new customers so I'd recommend calling if you're interested in getting another subsidized device (But it'll probably have to be through Verizon's store).

I'm on the nexus 6 right now . would love this, but going to hold out a little more longer and get the 7 when it comes out. Gotta be patient.... Hnnnggg

I'm on the Nexus 4 and can't wait to be rid of it. I'm just trying to decide which plan to use. I'll likely stick with AT&T but right now I'm on their GoPhone plan which perfectly suits my needs and is cheaper than any comparable contract plan. A few months ago I looked into it and getting a phone through AT&T on a comparable plan would cost an extra $5/month on top of the cost of the phone.

The fact that the phones that Apple Upgrade is offering come unlocked is tempting but I'm not crazy about the extra cost and having the latest and greatest every year is nice but not necessary. It does include AppleCare+ but I'm unsure if I need that or not.

I just got my first iPhone ever (6 plus) through T-Mobile's $15 a month Jump Program where you can get the 6s for the same price, and I already can't wait to upgrade. I'm hoping for 2GB of RAM. If not, I will manage.

Top Bottom