• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is BIG. I'm used to frantically spamming the large shazam icon in the app so that I hit it as soon as it loads in fear that I wont catch the song in time. This makes it so much easier. This alone has made me realise 3D touch is going to become a game changer in the coming months.
Irony of this is that they could (and IMO should) implement that way of app interaction on every single device. You absolutely don't need a 3D touch for this - just press and hold on the icon for a moment. Instead, such a potentially intuitive and useful interaction is still relegated to something so rarely needed as icon rearrangement. They could easily make it so that a button in the control panel starts the icon rearangement, or something like that.

And yes, there are jailbreak tweaks that let you do this kind of thing by swiping up from an icon. But app store apps don't make native use of this of course.

Enco

I gotta say this is the most exciting update for me.

4S > 5S was pretty huge but this seems even better.

5S > 6 was ok but it wasn't enough to get me to upgrade. Lol at 1GB RAM.

Reckoner

Reviews are making me even more excited.

Looks like this is going to be an amazing phone.

I'm excited for every part of it. Will be travelling a lot after release it's going to be fun not having to worry about the battery. Fuck putting my phone in Airplane mode just so it doesn't die on me half way through the day. 1080p Netflix alll dayyyyyy!!!

The phone will be perfect with an even bigger battery, default apps, third party Siri support, and location based events (eg 3g off at home)

Plus battery is even bigger?

What. That would make me consider the 6s Plus.

#1 will happen, they will come up with a better way of designing the bands

#2 likely will not happen unless camera tech improves and can get thinner. Apple has minimized everything else but the camera and they may be at the mercy of camera manufacturers/technology in terms of what they can do there. I would rather have what we have now than an overall thicker phone.

#3 will not happen because the coating can scratch off. They learned that lesson before and Apple tends not to make the same mistake twice.

They already patented some kind tech to hide the antenna bands within the aluminum.

Irony of this is that they could (and IMO should) implement that way of app interaction on every single device. You absolutely don't need a 3D touch for this - just press and hold on the icon for a moment. Instead, such a potentially intuitive and useful interaction is still relegated to something so rarely needed as icon rearrangement. They could easily make it so that a button in the control panel starts the icon rearangement, or something like that.

And yes, there are jailbreak tweaks that let you do this kind of thing by swiping up from an icon. But app store apps don't make native use of this of course.

I like the way it is now better.

nono, I should have said the 6s plus over the 6 plus. I know the 6 plus has that advantage over the 6. I'm just asking if the 6s plus is even bigger.

Oh! No, it's actually smaller. Though improvements in other areas has Apple keeping its estimated real battery life at the same level as the 6 Plus, despite the smaller battery

Newline

nono, I should have said the 6s plus over the 6 plus. I know the 6 plus has that advantage over the 6. I'm just asking if the 6s plus is even bigger.
The 6s plus actually has a smaller battery than the 6 plus. I don't know how it fares in terms of real world performance though.

Red

How long did it take to arrive? And how is the quality?

Was thinking about grabbing one.

Wow that was fast, where are you and when did you order it? Tracking and stuff? Being a longtime customer plus being excited for the new iPhone is making it harder to wait.

I'm in California and I ordered it the 12th. I'm hoping to get it soon.

I ordered it on the 12th. The aluminum is nice, but reminds me how much more I liked the 5s gold color over the 6. The TPU inner frame is not as nice as I'd hoped. It's a little stiff. Stiff enough I worry about it scratching the aluminum on the phone. And there are two logos, one framexframe on the top and tunewear on the left side. TBH I don't think it was worth the cost.

Shenmue

Banned
I'm leaning towards the + now. Have any reviews talked about the performance issues that the old 6+ supposedly had/has?

Size is not an issue for me. I'm only 5'8" too and I don't think I have that large of hands. I use the phone only with one hand and use a 3rd party keyboard with swipe to type.

The main issue is the lag, framerate skip, and the previous problem of low RAM. I think people have said the RAM issues should be fixed with the addition of 1 more gig. However, we have those two posters earlier that said now both 6s and 6s+ models have that lag/stutter.

I'm going to try this out at my local Apple store tonight so I know whether to cancel or not. That kind of performance is something I can't stand and I don't really want to bet on them fixing it with the next firmware update, as it'll be too late to return the phone by then.

:O

Why would they not show this in the keynote?

Question is will they allow this on 3rd party keyboards like Swype? I can't ever go back to using the stock keyboard.

Erebus

Size is not an issue for me. I'm only 5'8" too and I don't think I have that large of hands. I use the phone only with one hand and use a 3rd party keyboard with swipe to type.

The main issue is the lag, framerate skip, and the previous problem of low RAM. I think people have said the RAM issues should be fixed with the addition of 1 more gig. However, we have those two posters earlier that said now both 6s and 6s+ models have that lag/stutter.

I'm going to try this out at my local Apple store tonight so I know whether to cancel or not. That kind of performance is something I can't stand and I don't really want to bet on them fixing it with the next firmware update, as it'll be too late to return the phone by then.

Question is will they allow this on 3rd party keyboards like Swype? I can't ever go back to using the stock keyboard.
Who said that? I must have missed it.

How often you re-arrange icons? I don't really do it very often.

I surprisingly re-organize quite a bit. I download new apps often so quickly pressing and holding an icon to move it is preferable to me. It stinks that the feature is not available for previous iPhones because of Force Touch, but eventually most will upgrade and most will have the convenience..and we'll get to keep the convenience of rearranging/reorganizing apps.

It may be a little insignificant, but I'd prefer them to keep it as simple as possible.

Enco

Nah I was saying in the future I want a bigger battery to bring the phone closer to perfection :p

Sadly, as others have said, the S doesn't have a bigger battery.

If you set this up as a new phone without a backup, will you still get all your contacts/messages synced?

I surprisingly re-organize quite a bit. I download new apps often so quickly pressing and holding an icon to move it is preferable to me. It stinks that the feature is not available for previous iPhones because of Force Touch, but eventually most will upgrade and most will have the convenience..and we'll get to keep the convenience of rearranging/reorganizing apps.

It may be a little insignificant, but I'd prefer them to keep it as simple as possible.

I would actually like to see it made marginally more complex, in the sense that it'd be nice to be able to "pin" an app or several of them in place. I hate when moving one app means you've got to move like five others. There are improvements that can be made to the icon-rearrangement process that go way beyond being able to initiate it more quickly, IMO.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

We were talking about the 6+, not the 6s+.

Red

FramexFrame is ridiculously expensive for what you're getting. Maybe it's worth for some.
I wanted a nice, thin aluminum bumper. There weren't a lot of options. If the K11 bumper is a framexframe with softer TPU and no logos, it will be perfect. But yeah, the price on either one is exorbitant.

Could they really stop 3rd parties from doing it? Seems like if they have access to the force touch API then they could integrate it in the same way.

Shun

I wanted a nice, thin aluminum bumper. There weren't a lot of options. If the K11 bumper is a framexframe with softer TPU and no logos, it will be perfect. But yeah, the price on either one is exorbitant.

That's kinda eh but I'll see when I get it. I thought that the inside would be more like the rubber they used for their 5S equivalent. I'll trust them for now with the good experience I've had in the past.

Didn't think it was that much compared to other case prices but I guess it's worth it to get it day one and not have to wait 2 months.

Shenmue

Banned
No, I tried like 5 of them in apple store, all with ios9 installed. There's notable frame skips throughout UI on all of them now opposed to my regular 6, especially very noticeable when that new multitask screen transitions on. Like you can tell a mile away it's not a smooth 60FPS anymore when the app cards separate away one from another. If you repeat the action it becomes smoother, but it's worst the first time on.

I'm with you. App switcher is stuttery on my 6+.

No big hitches or anything, but definitely some frame drops.

We were talking about the 6+, not the 6s+.

Ahhhh went back and read it again. My mistake. I wish they would just call it the 7, then I wouldn't make these mistakes.

riotous

Banned
The cursor movement was but I don't think the highlighting ability was ever shown.

It's shown in a picture and described in the text.

YS1Nrz6.jpg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Tmobile finally sent me the tracking on my wife's rose gold 6S.

Looks like the corporate team pulled through and prioritized the order even though it was placed way late.

Erebus

My god... Retina Flash actually works! That's kind of amazing.
To be fair, other camera apps such as Camera+ have had this feature for ages.

I know Apple wants as many people as possible to upgrade but It's a pity that they kept some things exclusive to the 6s while they could have been easily implemented on past devices as well.

Yep. I remember seeing that they put this into the older iOS9 betas but then removed it - now I see why. SwipeSelection was one of my favorite jailbreak tweaks and this will hold me over until a jailbreak comes out for iOS9.

Yeah they had it in the first beta for iOS 9 (sadly removed it in the second beta). On an iPhone it was two fingers on the keyboard to get trackpad functionality.

Guess Who

Banned
The 6S screen has a new backlight controller that can momentarily boost the light to 3x the normal maximum brightness for the sake of Retina Flash. It's not just a software feature.

Top Bottom