• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm going to have to agree with giga here.

I don't think this applies to those already on (A)JOD who already got locked in to their 15/19 20/24 promo pricing.

Makes no sense to further increase our monthly bill credit and dropping the total price of the phone even further.

Seems like a move to lure in those who didn't get on the preorder train and are on the fence about upgrading.

It only makes sense to trade in a ip6 that you fully paid off to be able to get it for $5/month

And even then you are only really getting $270 for the phone.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm going to have to agree with giga here.

I don't think this applies to those already on (A)JOD who already got locked in to their 15/19 20/24 promo pricing.

Makes no sense to further increase our monthly bill credit and dropping the total price of the phone even further.

Seems like a move to lure in those who didn't get on the preorder train and are on the fence about upgrading.

It only makes sense to trade in a ip6 that you fully paid off to be able to get it for $5/month

It makes sense to bring in no device and get $20 per month. That is still a huge discount. Any burner smartphone laying around should get the $15 price.

giga

Gruber's review: http://daringfireball.net/2015/09/the_iphones_6s

Notable quotes:

- Speaking of the new Taptic Engine, it’s excellent. It doesn’t just provide for 3D Touch feedback, but it also serves as the vibrator for notifications. It is stronger, more noticeable, and in my opinion more pleasing than any previous iPhone vibrator.
- As an alternative to double-pressing the home button, you can now press on the left edge of the display. Press-and-swipe all the way across and you switch back to the previous app you were using. Press-and-swipe just a little and you’re left in the “card view” where you can switch to any previous application. The former is like hitting Command-Tab just once. The latter is like hitting Tab repeatedly while holding down the Command key.
- Apple missed an opportunity to borrow a great feature from Apple Watch. On Apple Watch, you can force touch in the notification list and you get an option to Clear All. 3D Touch has no effect in iOS 9’s notification list, and there remains no way to clear all notifications at once.
- Apple is billing the new Touch ID sensor as “up to 2× faster”. They’re underselling it. It’s so fast now that every single time I press it, it unlocks the phone, no matter how brief the contact is between my finger and the sensor. I can sit here and try to use the home button to get to the lock screen, and I can’t unless I purposefully only touch a small portion of the button or use an unregistered finger. It’s that fast. This actually takes some getting used it, if, like me, you sometimes use the home button just to get to the lock screen to check the date or time. With the new Touch ID sensor, the home button instantly unlocks the phone and I need to use the sleep/wake button to get to the lock screen.
- You know those FCC-mandated regulatory logos etched on the back of your iPhone? They’re gone. Last year the FCC issued new guidelines that allow manufacturers to put all these labels in software, for display on screen, and Apple has done just that. (You can see them in Settings: General: Regulatory.)

Lima

Hmm new Touch ID sounds real nice. Sucks that this faster Touch ID will not be in the iPad pro. Then again I guess since I have an air 2 right now I will be used to the difference anyway.

Here's Ledgers tweets

I'm about to make the new #iPhone6s even more accessible on @tmobile... And I’ll tell you how once this tweet gets 300 retweets!
That was fast. Here we go… 1/ @tmobile customers are pumped to get the new #iPhone6s –preorders up >30% over last year! #WeWontStop
2/ @tmobile already has the best deal out there for customers to get a new #iPhone6s – and like clockwork, the other guys are messing w/ you
3/ It happens every time - they try to lure you and lock you into their service with confusing deals. It’s, say it with me now, ********!
4/ How does getting the new #iPhone6s for as little as $5/month or $10/month sound on @tmobile w/ #JUMPonDemand?! OK - DONE!
5/ On Friday, you can get the new #iPhone6s at @tmobile w/ #JUMPonDemand for $5, $10 or $15/month - depending on model and trade-in #BOOM
6/ YES – you read it right! Trade-in an iPhone6 & get a new #iPhone6s for $5/mth or trade-in your iPhone5s & get a new one for $10/mth!
7/ Let me answer your next question – Yes! You can take advantage of this offer if you’ve already pre-ordered with a trade-in. ;)
8/ Want to own your iPhone? OK. You’re still getting the best deal from us. We’re the ONLY wireless co. offering the #iPhone6s at a discount
9/ Pair our Extended Range LTE (band 12 / 700Mhz) with the new iPhone6s + our #LifetimeCoverageGuarantee and you're SET UP!! #uncarrier

Wonder what my payment would be with trade in of One Plus One?

Have we figured out if you can do the iPhone upgrade program while on a Verizon contract yet? Most people seem to say that you'll be able to since it's independent of carriers (minus activation).

You can. If it's a two year contract your monthly rates will stay the same, if it's a device payment you'll be paying for two phones. And yes, it does have to be activated on your Verizon account

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
He said all smartphones not i6 or i5s would be $15

No he didn't. He said many high end phones like the new note would get the $5 promo.

I get the feeling you guys didn't watch the periscope and are just going by the tweets.

The one plus will likely get a $10-15 price. Best to wait until tomorrow to get the official details.

Scarphace

No he didn't. He said many high end phones like the new note would get the $5 promo.

I get the feeling you guys didn't watch the periscope and are just going by the tweets.

I must have missed that part I didn't catch the beginning of the periscope but I just remember him saying the i6 would be $5 5s $10 and other old phones you have laying around like a g3, s4, etc would be $15. You could be right, I could have missed it.

kaskade

You can. If it's a two year contract your monthly rates will stay the same, if it's a device payment you'll be paying for two phones. And yes, it does have to be activated on your Verizon account

Ok good. I'm just on a contract so I'm planning on selling off my 6. I'll just deposit the money into my account and use it for the payments. I imagine it'll cover around a year which will be nice.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gruber's review: http://daringfireball.net/2015/09/the_iphones_6s
- As an alternative to double-pressing the home button, you can now press on the left edge of the display. Press-and-swipe all the way across and you switch back to the previous app you were using. Press-and-swipe just a little and you’re left in the “card view” where you can switch to any previous application. The former is like hitting Command-Tab just once. The latter is like hitting Tab repeatedly while holding down the Command key.
First time I read this. Does the former also act as a back function within an app, like a brower for instance?

MRSA

Banned
So I own my 64GB iPhone 6 outright and already preordered the iPhone 6S, should I pursue this T-Mobile deal or continue to attempt to potentially be murdered by someone on Craigslist.

Meicyn

Gold Member
So I own my 64GB iPhone 6 outright and already preordered the iPhone 6S, should I pursue this T-Mobile deal or continue to attempt to potentially be murdered by someone on Craigslist.
I'm trading mine in to Amazon. They're giving me $530 of Amazon store credit for my 64GB 6+. Secured that trade-in price over a week ago. Just have to turn it in by October 27th.

Ok good. I'm just on a contract so I'm planning on selling off my 6. I'll just deposit the money into my account and use it for the payments. I imagine it'll cover around a year which will be nice.

To sign up the first payment NEEDS to be on a credit card. Debit won't work, has to be credit. After that, you can change the payment method to something else

I'm trading mine in to Amazon. They're giving me $530 of Amazon store credit for my 64GB 6+. Secured that trade-in price over a week ago. Just have to turn it in by October 27th.

Have you traded in to Amazon? I secured an insane deal for my 6+ ($456) and I have until November 2nd. I've never done this before and I know they deal with third parties for video games and sometimes they've been rejected. For example, my 360 was rejected for not having two controllers even though I was trading in a base console deal so I only needed to trade in one. It was bizarre, and turned me off from trading in big-ticket items.

if you've used Amazon before, are they weird with the requirements? I have the original box, charger, all documentation, everything, so theoretically there shouldn't be an issue.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Have you traded in to Amazon? I secured an insane deal for my 6+ ($456) and I have until November 2nd. I've never done this before and I know they deal with third parties for video games and sometimes they've been rejected. For example, my 360 was rejected for not having two controllers even though I was trading in a base console deal so I only needed to trade in one. It was bizarre, and turned me off from trading in big-ticket items.

if you've used Amazon before, are they weird with the requirements? I have the original box, charger, all documentation, everything, so theoretically there shouldn't be an issue.
I've had no problems trading in to Amazon in the past, but this is the first time I'm trying it with a phone. I have the original box and untouched accessories, and the phone is in pristine condition, so I'm not worried.

We'll see!

The more I read on 3d touch the more I'm leaning towards iPhone for my upgrade, it's currently between Note 5 and 6s+. It looks like there could be a lot of really cool applications of 3d touch. Are there any good camera comparisons between the two?

Shun

The iPhone 6 camera was already really good. Wait until the app gets out on consumer hands and we're able to use it with Camera+ app and adjust tones and curves.

I shared this before but this was taken with a 6, not 6+, 6 camera. The 6S camera is looking to be pretty good upgrade based on specs.

15568422972_950b89c6c0_b.jpg

kaskade

To sign up the first payment NEEDS to be on a credit card. Debit won't work, has to be credit. After that, you can change the payment method to something else

That's fine by me. Rather get some points anyway. Thanks for your help. I was debating on upgrading but these reviews have me wanting too.

Chucker

Will AT&T still let you do a 2 yr contract and subsidize the phone? I'm not looking to pay $28 a month when I can pay $299 and be locked in.

I've asked 3 different reps and heard 3 different things.

Will AT&T still let you do a 2 yr contract and subsidize the phone? I'm not looking to pay $28 a month when I can pay $299 and be locked in.

You can but you have to do it online at their website. If you have one of the older plans it's probably better to go subsidized.

Is Swappa the way to instead of selling on Craigslist? I have a 5c

I sold mine on swappa and ended up dealing with a PayPal dispute because the dude lost his mind about it shipping 24 hours after his payment. Swappa is awesome, but the way payment works can make it a bit sketchy tbh. At least on eBay the buyer doesn't get charged until the device is in their hands, whereas the immediate loss of funds through Swappa purchases makes people a bit antsy.

I sold mine on swappa and ended up dealing with a PayPal dispute because the dude lost his mind about it shipping 24 hours after his payment. Swappa is awesome, but the way payment works can make it a bit sketchy tbh. At least on eBay the buyer doesn't get charged until the device is in their hands, whereas the immediate loss of funds through Swappa purchases makes people a bit antsy.
What? You have to immediately pay with eBay before the device gets shipped out. I mean somebody wouldn't have to pay, but if a seller ships before an item is paid for they'd be quite the idiot.

Kibbles

Yeah you can at the ATT site, that's what I did.

Top Bottom