• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

it's funny; on my launch 6+, Touch ID was very spotty. not bad enough for me to assume something was wrong, but I was generally disappointed with the feature.

couple weeks ago I did a device swap at the Apple Store in town because the touch screen stopped working and funky gray lines began spazzing on the display. was happy when they gave me a replacement with zero fuss.

anyway, the point is Touch ID works waaaaay better on the replacement phone, even though it's still just a 6+. it is night and day to my old 6+, which was a launch model.

Touch ID was pretty crappy on my 5S too for whatever reason. I'd say maybe a 75% rate of success. Enough to annoy me and cause me to opt for typing in my password most of the time. On my 6+, it feels like it's close to 95% rate of success. Works almost every time to unlock my phone. I can't even remember the last time it failed whereas with my 5S it would be a pretty common occurrence.

LordOfChaos

Breaking news! Fully laminated displays are of far higher quality than glass on panel. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Apple outrage already in progress.

That was hardly outrage. Optical lamination reduces reflections by some measure, and removes panel gap, but it's quite an overstatement to say "far higher quality" when comparing the same panel quality otherwise. Some of the iPads weren't optically laminated until recently and it was hard to tell the difference, unless you were actively looking for a panel gap or trying to see how much less a light source in the background reflected. It's a moderate benefit, let's be real. Yes, "gotta save 1mm" was sarcastic, my bad.

So looks like the only group probably not getting their pre-orders on launch day are people who ordered a 6+ through AT&T. They're all slated for October 16-23. Bummer :(

Has anyone who ordered that model through AT&T show any movement in shipping?

Nope, still "In process.". Ridiculous/unbelievers that AT&T has zero stock of 6s+ phones. I don't think the 6s has movement either, though. Most people have Oct 16-23 for that model too.

rhino4evr

So looks like the only group probably not getting their pre-orders on launch day are people who ordered a 6+ through AT&T. They're all slated for October 16-23. Bummer :(

I'm in the same boat I'm afraid.
How ATT has absolutely zero plus phones available makes no sense to me.

TylerD

Same here on my Space 64GB plus. Ordered 2 hrs after POs opened. 16th-23rd estimated shipping date. Hrumph I say!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/iphone-6s-offer.htm

T-Mobile offering $5/mo iPhone 6s upgrades with old model trade-ins.

UpdatedTableNewiPhoneOffer.png

I wasn't going to upgrade from the 6 to the 6s but now I'm seriously considering it.

rhino4evr

Same here on my Space 64GB plus. Ordered 2 hrs after POs opened. 16th-23rd estimated shipping date. Hrumph I say!

Doesn't matter if it was 2 hours or 2 minutes. ATT never had the phones listed for release day delivery. Before the onsale , many people were able to get in, and even then it showed an October date.

Once again this whole debacle could have been avoided if ATT stopped being such a prick and authorized the subsidized pricing on the Apple Store website.

If I didn't have a really good unlimited plan with them , I would have signed elsewhere in a heart beat

Gaaraz

Sorry to ask again guys, but looking at these comments (people not getting deliveries until past 16th October) I'm guessing it'll be near impossible to pick one up from the Apple store until then also?

Sorry to ask again guys, but looking at these comments (people not getting deliveries until past 16th October) I'm guessing it'll be near impossible to pick one up from the Apple store until then also?

No, you can easily get one in person. We're just complaining about AT&T.com's crappy estimated ship dates.

I think you can order on Apple.com and request in-store pick-up. That should give you an accurate barometer.

Walk-in may be tough though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That was hardly outrage. Optical lamination reduces reflections by some measure, and removes panel gap, but it's quite an overstatement to say "far higher quality" when comparing the same panel quality otherwise. Some of the iPads weren't optically laminated until recently and it was hard to tell the difference, unless you were actively looking for a panel gap or trying to see how much less a light source in the background reflected. It's a moderate benefit, let's be real. Yes, "gotta save 1mm" was sarcastic, my bad.

I upgraded from iPad Air 1 to 2 partly because of the laminated screen. It is a huge difference in person having the screen look to be o the surface of the device, compared to an air gap with the screen sitting below the surface. I'm not sure I would buy a tablet or phone that doesn't have a laminated screen anymore.

Owari

Man, all of you 6S+ buyers expecting an iPhone with iPad features are in for a rude awakening. The only apps that even support landscape are Messages and Mail. There is zero and I mean zero third party landscape orientation support. The increased screen real estate is worthless, and since the RAM is the same in both S models, the + will run significantly slower/probably get broken by iOS 10.

Gaaraz

No, you can easily get one in person. We're just complaining about AT&T.com's crappy estimated ship dates.

I think you can order on Apple.com and request in-store pick-up. That should give you an accurate barometer.

Walk-in may be tough though.
Thanks both :) That gives me enough hope to actually try to visit some of the stores, but also dampens it enough that I won't be too disappointed if I can't get one.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Man, all of you 6S+ buyers expecting an iPhone with iPad features are in for a rude awakening. The only apps that even support landscape are Messages and Mail. There is zero and I mean zero third party landscape orientation support. The increased screen real estate is worthless, and since the RAM is the same in both S models, the + will run significantly slower/probably get broken by iOS 10.
I don't think people are expecting iPad features. They are getting it for the bigger screen in terms of things they can view all at once, the OIS and the. Better battery life.

But you're right, if they are expecting iPad features, they'll be sorely disappointed. The 6+ hardly uses the screen real estate to its advantage in terms of iOS/app optimization. It's a shame, really.

Owari

I don't think people are expecting iPad features. They are getting it for the bigger screen in terms of things they can view all at once, the OIS and the. Better battery life.

But you're right, if they are expecting iPad features, they'll be sorely disappointed. The 6+ hardly uses the screen real estate to its advantage in terms of iOS/app optimization. It's a shame, really.

Everyone I've talked to about the 6S+ think every app has landscape support, the 6S+ will get splitscreen multitasking, etc.

Apple marketing at work.

Also unless you are planning on shooting 100GB of 4K video the 128GB is overkill. More Apple marketing getting people fed up with 16GB and going for the extreme. With iCloud Drive and music there is really no need to go above 64GB :(

100%

Right off the bat you are wrong--Twitter supports it. And you forgot Notes, and I'm sure others, but those are off the top of my head.

It's funny, I thought the 6+ was going to support side-by-side apps--I swore I read about it last year. So I was disappointed it didn't, and I'm still disappointed the 6s+ won't either. However, the + is superior because of the screen size, screen quality (perfectly readable in direct sunlight), battery life, and OIS. I can't go back to a smaller phone, they all seem so small, particularly the 5 and below, which literally feel like a toy.

As for the RAM, iOS 9 has been a dream and fixed the major problem with the 6--always refreshing Safari. Doubling the RAM will only help make things better.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

How is the screen real estate worthless?
I don't have to zoom into web pages to read them.
I get to enjoy my streaming video on a larger screen (I stream 50gb per month on average)
I get to enjoy games on a larger screen.
I get better battery life.
I get better image quality especially in low light due to OIS.

Those alone make it not worthless. I could care less if apps have multiple panes.

The 6S isn't significantly slower. This would have been mentioned in reviews if it were true. (this was true for the 6 vs the 6+ though)

Rootbeer

Banned
Really?

http://mobile.pcmag.com/software/49038-10-gorgeous-apps-for-the-apple-iphone-6-plus?origref=

This article is a year old and shows a few. I'm sure there are more by now

And 'broken' by iOS 10? Get out of here with your BS claims.

Most of Apple's apps work in dual pane landscape on the 6 Plus (Calendar, Notes, Reminders, etc.) and Safari allows for a tab view in landscape.

Really?

http://mobile.pcmag.com/software/49038-10-gorgeous-apps-for-the-apple-iphone-6-plus?origref=

This article is a year old and shows a few. I'm sure there are more by

Don't know why he's using landscape as a measure but the 6+ definitely does not take advantage of the bigger screen. I have a 6+ and I would agree that the bigger size doesn't actually get used by many apps at all.

Also, the 6+ is quite a bit laggier than the regular 6 after iOS 9 update. The app switcher definitely drops frames and runs slower unless you turn on reduce transparency which then puts its speed on par with the 6 again. I'm guessing that's what he's referring to when he says iOS 10 will probably break the 6S+.

tanooki27

bullshit, the increased screen real estate is Godlike. This is my primary web browsing machine. it's 1080p brotha. go look at the plus and the vanilla side by side. plus is easier on the eyes no comparison.

Nope, still "In process.". Ridiculous/unbelievers that AT&T has zero stock of 6s+ phones. I don't think the 6s has movement either, though. Most people have Oct 16-23 for that model too.

If you ordered a regular 6S through AT&T.com then you should be receiving it on Friday. But yeah, AT&T playing it safe with the 6S+ estimate. I pre-ordered mine a week after pre-orders opened and it showed that same Oct 16th date. It's bizarre that they wouldn't have any in stock for launch even though Verizon and T-Mobile will.

I'm anticipating that date will move up for sure, but not sure by how much. A similar thing happened with AT&T last year where their estimate shipment was slated for October but most pre-ordered phones made their way out a few days after launch. Could happen again.

TylerD

I'm perfectly happy with my 6s+ just being my phone and I have a Surface 3 for iPad like features. I'm more interested in having access to ALL THE APPS and condensing down to 1 phone. My personal phone OS has been Win Mobile(HTC Touch Pro) or Windows Phone (Samsung Focus then Lumia 920) + work iPhone 5 for 2 years. The screen size bump is good on the plus but I'm more interested in battery life and OIS.

Apple.com still says "preparing to ship" 5 days with same status *bangs head against desk*

console me bros, tell me everything's gonna be ok 😢

Owari

100%

Right off the bat you are wrong--Twitter supports it. And you forgot Notes, and I'm sure others, but those are off the top of my head.

It's funny, I thought the 6+ was going to support side-by-side apps--I swore I read about it last year. So I was disappointed it didn't, and I'm still disappointed the 6s+ won't either. However, the + is superior because of the screen size, screen quality (perfectly readable in direct sunlight), battery life, and OIS. I can't go back to a smaller phone, they all seem so small, particularly the 5 and below, which literally feel like a toy.

As for the RAM, iOS 9 has been a dream and fixed the major problem with the 6--always refreshing Safari. Doubling the RAM will only help make things better.
Really? The default iPhone Twitter app is garbo (filled to the brim with ads, with pesky advertisement notifications) .. So I guess I never noticed. That would make Twitter the only third party app with landscape support. As far as splitscreen goes, perhaps they are saving it so that will be the key feature of the iPhone 7+ .. It's something the 6S+ can no doubt /do/ ... But since there's virtually zero landscape support it doesn't matter as of yet.

After a year with the 6+, I would say the larger screen is a nuisance more than anything. You can't reach the far end of the keyboard/screen with one handed operation .. You can't even slide to unlock with one hand (I know most people use Touch ID, but this is just poor design.)
The fact that the landscape keyboard puts all those useless shortcuts on the sides instead of letting you split the keyboard or just have the keys naturally stretched also makes landscape typing on the 6+ a nightmare. If you want a portable computer with split screen multitasking, buy an LTE iPad Mini 4 (it's AMAZING. And everything I expected from the 6+)

This is the first time I've heard anything about the + screen using a different technology over the standard model .. Is this new with the S models? OIS and Battery may be the only saving grace, but at the end of the day you'll be using the phone for more anyway, so the battery increase isnt noticeable. At most you can squeeze an extra 20% out of it, which dies in like 5 minutes without low power mode.

The 5 and lower are small phones. The 6 is the perfect size. The fact that it's 25% faster than the S+ just solidifies my opinions on the + models. They have a lot of potential, but the screen real estate is literally wasted because app developers can't be assed to throw in a few lines of code.

TimFL

Apple.com still says "preparing to ship" 5 days with same status *bangs head against desk*

console me bros, tell me everything's gonna be ok 😢

Where do you live? Last year my 6 was still in China the day before release (and still out of country after midnight) but it still managed to show up in time on friday. Funny thing is it was also marked as "shipped" the same day I placed my pre-order (the day they went live). They probably just take their time updating the order status this time around.

Use this method to find your phone. It totally works. Mine was in Alaska last night and my apple account still says preparing for
shipment.

Edit: it's now in Kentucky

http://www.macworld.com/article/2985378/apple-phone/how-to-track-your-iphone-6s-or-6s-plus-without-a-tracking-number.html
If UPS' updates are to be believed, my phones (ordered from T-Mo) just have a label created and haven't even been shipped. Also while my friend's phone ordered from Apple has updated tracking info and currently just departed Anchorage.

This does work though btw everyone should use it.

Owari

Most of Apple's apps work in dual pane landscape on the 6 Plus (Calendar, Notes, Reminders, etc.) and Safari allows for a tab view in landscape.
So Apple's mediocre lineup of default apps, got it.

Really?

This article is a year old and shows a few. I'm sure there are more by now

So games and a weather app. Nice.

How is the screen real estate worthless?
I don't have to zoom into web pages to read them.
I get to enjoy my streaming video on a larger screen (I stream 50gb per month on average)
I get to enjoy games on a larger screen.
I get better battery life.
I get better image quality especially in low light due to OIS.

Those alone make it not worthless. I could care less if apps have multiple panes.

The 6S isn't significantly slower. This would have been mentioned in reviews if it were true. (this was true for the 6 vs the 6+ though)
you don't have to zoom on a webpage to read it on the 6S, and the awkwardness of the design is not worth the rest of these features, personally. (You will drop your +. Even the most careful person alive would. It's just awkward to hold.)

bullshit, the increased screen real estate is Godlike. This is my primary web browsing machine. it's 1080p brotha. go look at the plus and the vanilla side by side. plus is easier on the eyes no comparison.
Your primary web browser has to refresh it's tabs upon reopening? Sounds annoying.

I dunno bro I compared my 6+ to a 6 at bestbuy and on neogaf I was only seeing like an additional half a post. I'd rather carry the smaller phone even though I can Use the 6+ with one hand.

SuperPac

If UPS' updates are to be believed, my phones (ordered from T-Mo) just have a label created and haven't even been shipped. Also while my friend's phone ordered from Apple has updated tracking info and currently just departed Anchorage.

This does work though btw everyone should use it.

Right but if your new phone shows up in supportprofile.apple.com it's likely in a box at a shipping depot in the U.S. ready to go for Friday.

Owari

I dunno bro I compared my 6+ to a 6 at bestbuy and on neogaf I was only seeing like an additional half a post. I'd rather carry the smaller phone even though I can Use the 6+ with one hand.
Exactly this. It's unlike the screen is even that much larger. Not only that, but the 6S+ is also significantly larger than the 6+ .. so an even more impractical design.

You want a big screen and splitscreen multitasking? Buy an iPad mini.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The 5 and lower are small phones. The 6 is the perfect size. The fact that it's 25% faster than the S+ just solidifies my opinions on the + models. They have a lot of potential, but the screen real estate is literally wasted because app developers can't be assed to throw in a few lines of code.

Wait, the 6S is faster than the 6S+? Where did you get this?

Hopfrog

Like many others, sitting here waiting for any movement on my SG 64GB 6S+ through AT&T. Lots of rumors about some backlighting issue causing supply problems for the model sold exclusively through AT&T.

All I know is that it seems unfathomable for AT&T to have basically zero supply of the 6S+ for launch day. Has previous experience with these launches not prepared them properly to estimate demand? It just seems ludicrously amateurish.

Top Bottom