• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

VoxPop

So the screen on my 6 got obliterated like 2 weeks back. Debating if I should get it fixed ($300 via Apple, out of warranty now) or just upgrade to a 64GB Space Grey 6S Plus. I've been itching to get on the Plus wagon after playing with my friend's. My girl has a Rose Gold 64GB 6S coming on the 25th. I guess if the 3D Touch is nice, I can take the plunge. Unless there's a reliable cheaper way to get my screen fixed of course.

Silentium

So the screen on my 6 got obliterated like 2 weeks back. Debating if I should get it fixed ($300 via Apple, out of warranty now) or just upgrade to a 64GB Space Grey 6S Plus. I've been itching to get on the Plus wagon after playing with my friend's. My girl has a Rose Gold 64GB 6S coming on the 25th. I guess if the 3D Touch is nice, I can take the plunge. Unless there's a reliable cheaper way to get my screen fixed of course.
I'm surprised its $300 to replace the screen at Apple, that sounds more like full unit replacement price - there must be damage to the enclosure as well.

Is Swappa the way to instead of selling on Craigslist? I have a 5c

I'd recommend Gazelle or Amazon. Gazelle gives you PayPal and you sell to a company, so there's no risk of fraud/chargebacks. Your price is locked in for 30 days.

Amazon pays the most, by far ($100 more than Gazelle/eBay for a complete phone with box, charger and documentation), but you are paid in Amazon credit, which may not be as attractive as cash. They give you about six weeks to trade it in. which is great.

eBay probably pays the highest gross, but fees and fraud make it less attractive than it used to be. Swappa is basically eBay without fees, so you get more money but there's still a fraud risk. I locked in trades with Gazelle and Amazon, and depending on when I get my phone will determine which route I take.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've tried every method I can to get an iPhone without having to brave the launch morning queue. Failed on all accounts. Hours wasted. Looks like my Friday morning is over :(

If you paid with a major credit card your warranty is doubled, so you should still be under warranty.

Will AT&T still let you do a 2 yr contract and subsidize the phone? I'm not looking to pay $28 a month when I can pay $299 and be locked in.

I've asked 3 different reps and heard 3 different things.
You can but they will jack up your rate and sometimes it will be a wash or better off doing the Next plan.

VoxPop

I'm surprised its $300 to replace the screen at Apple, that sounds more like full unit replacement price - there must be damage to the enclosure as well.

It's usually $99 or free (depending on the severity) but its out of warranty. Got it on launch day. I didn't actually go to an Apple Store. Just checked it out online.

Chalupa Batman said:
If you paid with a major credit card your warranty is doubled, so you should still be under warranty.

Is it really? Do I need a receipt or anything?

I guess I'll bring it into an Apple Store since I have one right near my office. Thanks!

Chucker

You can but they will jack up your rate and sometimes it will be a wash or better off doing the Next plan.
See, that's what I'm worried about. I've got it in writing(transcript) that it won't, but it's something I'll ask in person too.
Edit: If it ends up that I can do the $299 for 6S 64gb, but it adds to my plan, then I'm afraid I'll just stick with my 5S as its doing just fine. The plan we have is pretty sick and my wife and I end up only spending $110 for both of our phones.
Unlimited talk/text and 30 shared gigs between us, my mom, and my brother.

$50 for my line, $60 for hers since I grabbed a 5C with Next for her.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I've tried every method I can to get an iPhone without having to brave the launch morning queue. Failed on all accounts. Hours wasted. Looks like my Friday morning is over :(

And your Thursday night, if you want to get the model you want. #queueveteran

Silentium

It's usually $99 or free (depending on the severity) but its out of warranty. Got it on launch day. I didn't actually go to an Apple Store. Just checked it out online.

Is it really? Do I need a receipt or anything?

I guess I'll bring it into an Apple Store since I have one right near my office. Thanks!
Not USA based (so prices may differ), but the $99 sounds like the AppleCare Plus service fee. With the iPhone 6, Apple has two options: whole unit replacement (around $300+) and screen replacement ($120+) - these prices are the same regardless of the unit being in warranty or out of warranty (all physical damage is out of warranty anyway) and assuming you don't have AppleCare Plus. The website quotes higher prices to set your expectations lower when you come into the store.

If it's just the screen thats been damaged and the enclosure is fine (no dents or damage on the metal that would prevent a 100% screen replacement) you should just be looking at the $120 or so price.

I'd suggest you make a backup (it's possible to erase the phone with the display calibration machine) and head into an Apple Store and see what they can do.

Sapiens

So for those of us that pre-ordered on the first day with "preparing" still listed as their status are probably not getting these things until next week, right?

Why even bother ordering online, Apple, if I can just wait in line for one? Jesus.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I ordered my 6s+ 2 days late and got a ship date of 10/7. Just got a notice saying it shipped and will be here on Friday. That's a nice suprise.

TheZink

So for those of us that pre-ordered on the first day with "preparing" still listed as their status are probably not getting these things until next week, right?

Why even bother ordering online, Apple, if I can just wait in line for one? Jesus.
Use this method to find your phone. It totally works. Mine was in Alaska last night and my apple account still says preparing for
shipment.

Edit: it's now in Kentucky

http://www.macworld.com/article/2985378/apple-phone/how-to-track-your-iphone-6s-or-6s-plus-without-a-tracking-number.html

freshair

There's an eBay promo currently where you can sell your phone for a flat $5 fee.

Debating using eBay this time around to sell 2 phones but I've always been a bit antsy selling something that high of a value through them. Maybe I'll justify up insane buyer filters and then be done with it hah.

Ninja Dom

Use this method to find your phone. It totally works. Mine was in Alaska last night and my apple account still says preparing for
shipment.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2985378/apple-phone/how-to-track-your-iphone-6s-or-6s-plus-without-a-tracking-number.html

Got to be a US thing. Doesn't work for me in the UK. Plus Apple use about 3 or 4 delivery companies here.

Everybody I know who ordered direct from Apple (different countries here on GAF and my one other friend who ordered on pre-order launch day) is still stuck on "Preparing".

There's an eBay promo currently where you can sell your phone for a flat $5 fee.

Debating using eBay this time around to sell 2 phones but I've always been a bit antsy selling something that high of a value through them. Maybe I'll justify up insane buyer filters and then be done with it hah.

i have bad luck lately and i assume the buyer will go "eh i don't want it anymore, can ii return it" like a week later, ebay always sides with the buyer

amazon has decent trade in values , my garbage 16gb is gonna get me $380 , i paid $500 used from my cousin months ago so a $120 loss is ok

SuperPac

shipment.

Mine's in Tennessee. With big hardware launches like the iPhone the apple.com shipping status usually doesn't change until your box is labeled at the shipping depot. If Apple.com still says your date is 9/25 that's when you'll be getting it (unless you are in pope visit areas).

I'm guessing people will see things move from Preparing to Shipped starting today/tonight. Even though technically a lot of these orders are already shipped - just, to a depot first.

sangreal

You went to the Apple Store? I had my 6+ screen replaced without AppleCare and it wasn't $300. It was half that and a 6 is less

Warranty is irrelevant btw

Ninja Dom

Mine's in Tennessee. With big hardware launches like the iPhone the apple.com shipping status usually doesn't change until your box is labeled at the shipping depot. If Apple.com still says your date is 9/25 that's when you'll be getting it (unless you are in pope visit areas).

I'm guessing people will see things move from Preparing to Shipped starting today/tonight. Even though technically a lot of these orders are already shipped - just, to a depot first.

I hope you're right. The planning of my weekend has all been organised around the delivery of my phone on Friday 25th.

Sarye

Seriously go to an Apple store first and try your luck before going through your credit card. I did not have apple care and for $100, they not just fixed my cracked screen, they gave me a brand new phone because they were too lazy to fix it. Apple is seriously awesome about these things. I've also heard of stories of people getting it fixed for free but YMMV

Anybody here pre-ordered via O2 UK? If so has there been any update on shipping? Last I heard from them was last Friday saying the order was processing and I would be updated shortly but they don't seem to provide any sort of order tracking until dispatch.

Rootbeer

Banned
Booo the UPS 'track by reference' trick doesn't work for me, maybe because I paid in full for an unlocked off contract device.

Anyone in the Bay Area actually received any sort of shipping information?

The second it leaves china you should receive some form of tracking. I don't like how they are handling the shipping situation.

NYR

Booo the UPS 'track by reference' trick doesn't work for me, maybe because I paid in full for an unlocked off contract device.
For sure. It likely only works for contracted phones, you never enter in your number when buying unlocked.

Ninja Dom

Has everyone's Apple Store orders shipped already? Mine is still "Preparing for Shipment" since last week.

I asked over on the Macrumors forums and everybody else who ordered sim-free direct from Apple is also stuck on "Preparing". One guy said that he spoke to Apple and Tracking Numbers will be given out tomorrow.

SuperPac

Anyone in the Bay Area actually received any sort of shipping information?

The second it leaves china you should receive some form of tracking. I don't like how they are handling the shipping situation.

i signed up for UPS MyChoice for last year's iPhone launch. Basically tells you when a package is headed to your address. My iPhone is listed there on UPS' site and app as being in Tennessee even though Apple still says Preparing.

If your serial # is already in your Apple Support Profile (supportprofile.apple.com) and your order status says it delivers by 9/25 via standard shipping, there's no need to worry yet. If it's still preparing on Friday morning, then you can get nervous.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay, I finally got it to work for me.

when you are on the 'track by reference' page, I had to not only enter my phone number but ALSO my country, then it brings up a list. If you leave the country field blank it will just give an error, or at least it does for me. I found it on the list of various orders sent to me. I guess I missed that detail.

SuperPac: I do have MyChoice and I sometimes do get notified by UPS via e-mail about a package coming before the merchant even tells me it shipped. It's really cool. Sadly that has not happened this time.

According to UPS, my package hasn't even landed in the US yet. It left China earlier today.

Newline

So I ordered my iphone on the 13th and was told it wouldn't arrive until the 5th of October. I just called EE UK and they said my order will arrive on the 25th - 26th of September. I can officially get hyped!

TxdoHawk

So I know the Rose Gold is the brand new color and all, but these Plus shipping dates are a little ridiculous right?

http://explore.t-mobile.com/shipping-dates

Mind you:

- These are dates for new pre-orders, not existing ones. T-mob already had a majority of their pre-orders processed with people getting on the JoD promo.

- It looks like the Plus is yet again going to be the more limited stock of the two models + lots of people interested in Rose Gold.

Gaaraz

Going to LA, Vegas and San Francisco for a few weeks... I'm just looking now and none of the places we're visiting are particularly close to the Apple stores (all a few miles at least, and I don't think we'll have a car)

I was hoping to pick up a 6S (either on T-Mobile or Verizon so they're unlocked) but would I be wasting my time? They seem to be selling out so quickly I wonder if I'd even get my hands on one even if I visited multiple stores

LordOfChaos

Ever since they integrated the touch digitizer with the cover glass it got really expensive out of warranty. Gotta save 1mm though right?

Ever since they integrated the touch digitizer with the cover glass it got really expensive out of warranty. Gotta save 1mm though right?

Breaking news! Fully laminated displays are of far higher quality than glass on panel. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Apple outrage already in progress.

kaskade

Read Gruber's review and it was nice hearing about the Touch ID being really fast. I'd say I'm at about a 90% rate on my iPhone 6. If it doesn't work I think it's usually just a weird angle or a dirty button. He does make a good point about the S years kind of being the better phone though. The regular numbered years tend to bring the redesign but the s brings the refinements.

So looks like the only group probably not getting their pre-orders on launch day are people who ordered a 6+ through AT&T. They're all slated for October 16-23. Bummer :(

Has anyone who ordered that model through AT&T show any movement in shipping?

tanooki27

Read Gruber's review and it was nice hearing about the Touch ID being really fast. I'd say I'm at about a 90% rate on my iPhone 6. If it doesn't work I think it's usually just a weird angle or a dirty button. He does make a good point about the S years kind of being the better phone though. The regular numbered years tend to bring the redesign but the s brings the refinements.

it's funny; on my launch 6+, Touch ID was very spotty. not bad enough for me to assume something was wrong, but I was generally disappointed with the feature.

couple weeks ago I did a device swap at the Apple Store in town because the touch screen stopped working and funky gray lines began spazzing on the display. was happy when they gave me a replacement with zero fuss.

anyway, the point is Touch ID works waaaaay better on the replacement phone, even though it's still just a 6+. it is night and day to my old 6+, which was a launch model.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm very happy to hear and see how freaking fast the new Touch ID is. I hate the lock screen and wish I could disable it 75% of the time. So knowing that it's virtually nonexistent with the new Touch ID (which I always use to unlock anyway) is a great upgrade.

Top Bottom