• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

By far the worst thing about the plus is the design. It's slippery, too thin, and ridiculously hard to hold comfortably. You HAVE to use a case with this phone just to add some grip. Knowing how Apple designs their products, I will never go for the plus version again.

I also feel like landscape view is useless if you're typing. The keyboard layout is really bad. Like, the letter keys being in the middle is completely uncomfortable to use. The letters should be on the outside with the edit functionality being in the middle.

The 6S benches at 4800+ ... 6S+ struggles to hit 4200. It's the same amount of RAM in both phones and the + is pushing more pixels, so it makes sense.

Can you link to the 6s Plus benchmark?

I think you're confused about what RAM actually does for a phone. The ratio of RAM to pixel density doesn't affect a phone in the way you're claiming it does. If referring to the CPU/GPU you have a valid point, though benchmarks between the 6 and 6 Plus showed an extremely small difference between the performance of the two.

That said, I have noticed slightly more lag on my 6 Plus than I have on 6, which should hopefully be negated on the 6s Plus by the dramatically increased performance of the A9.

By far the worst thing about the plus is the design. It's slippery, too thin, and ridiculously hard to hold comfortably. You HAVE to use a case with this phone just to add some grip. Knowing how Apple designs their products, I will never go for the plus version again.

I also feel like landscape view is useless if you're typing. The keyboard layout is really bad. Like, the letter keys being in the middle is completely uncomfortable to use. The letters should be on the outside with the edit functionality being in the middle.

I agree on the ergonomics, The moto X style and iPhone 6+ have roughly the same dimensions except the style is twice as thick. Yet it's so much more comfortable to hold just because it was designed to be a big phone.

It's quite strange that my wife and I pre-ordered our phones at the same time, yet my phone has a ship date and tracking number, but her phone is scheduled to ship in early November.

While we both bought the 6s Plus, we each chose a different color. I chose gold and she chose rose gold. Needless to say, she's kind of sour at the whole situation.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
It's quite strange that my wife and I pre-ordered our phones at the same time, yet my phone has a ship date and tracking number, but her phone is scheduled to ship in early November.

While we both bought the 6s Plus, we each chose a different color. I chose gold and she chose rose gold. Needless to say, she's kind of sour at the whole situation.

Strange? It's the most popular (and only new) color. Of course it is supply constrained.

I have to say I'm impressed with how quickly T-mobile is with shipping the phone. I ordered it yesterday and got a tracking number last night. I'm pretty sure this was before Legere announced the new payment options so it may be harder now.

The 6S benches at 4800+ ... 6S+ struggles to hit 4200. It's the same amount of RAM in both phones and the + is pushing more pixels, so it makes sense.

Does the benchmark app take into account how many pixels a phone has to power?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Strange? It's the most popular (and only new) color. Of course it is supply constrained.

Source on it being the most popular?

I would imagine Apple produced less of the rose gold since it is such a gender specific color. It isn't like apple peoduces the same amount of every color.

I have to say I'm impressed with how quickly T-mobile is with shipping the phone. I ordered it yesterday and got a tracking number last night. I'm pretty sure this was before Legere announced the new payment options so it may be harder now.

Does the benchmark app take into account how many pixels a phone has to power?

is there even a benchmark outside of the obvious one? I have only seen one benchmark

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Source on it being gender specific?

Pink + current and recent history of society?
If you are saying the majority of society doesn't see pink as a girl color then you are fooling yourself.

There is a reason why pink is associated with newborn girls and a reason why Victoria secret has a product line called pink.

Not saying it is correct or the tides aren't shifting. Just saying get in touch with reality.

rhino4evr

Like many others, sitting here waiting for any movement on my SG 64GB 6S+ through AT&T. Lots of rumors about some backlighting issue causing supply problems for the model sold exclusively through AT&T.

All I know is that it seems unfathomable for AT&T to have basically zero supply of the 6S+ for launch day. Has previous experience with these launches not prepared them properly to estimate demand? It just seems ludicrously amateurish.

If that's the case , why not be transparent about it? Keeping us in the dark just poses angry folks. I kinda feel for those customer service reps

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Pink + current and recent history of society?
If you are saying the majority of society doesn't see pink as a girl color then you are fooling yourself.

There is a reason why pink is associated with newborn girls and a reason why Victoria secret has a product line called pink.

Not saying it is correct or the tides aren't shifting. Just saying get in touch with reality.

I've watched your post grow from 2 lines to 4. Maybe I should wait until you finish debating yourself, but...

Rose Gold has been popular with men in timepieces and jewelry for years.

boxter432

Really? The default iPhone Twitter app is garbo (filled to the brim with ads, with pesky advertisement notifications) .. So I guess I never noticed. That would make Twitter the only third party app with landscape support. As far as splitscreen goes, perhaps they are saving it so that will be the key feature of the iPhone 7+ .. It's something the 6S+ can no doubt /do/ ... But since there's virtually zero landscape support it doesn't matter as of yet.

After a year with the 6+, I would say the larger screen is a nuisance more than anything. You can't reach the far end of the keyboard/screen with one handed operation .. You can't even slide to unlock with one hand (I know most people use Touch ID, but this is just poor design.)
The fact that the landscape keyboard puts all those useless shortcuts on the sides instead of letting you split the keyboard or just have the keys naturally stretched also makes landscape typing on the 6+ a nightmare. If you want a portable computer with split screen multitasking, buy an LTE iPad Mini 4 (it's AMAZING. And everything I expected from the 6+)

This is the first time I've heard anything about the + screen using a different technology over the standard model .. Is this new with the S models? OIS and Battery may be the only saving grace, but at the end of the day you'll be using the phone for more anyway, so the battery increase isnt noticeable. At most you can squeeze an extra 20% out of it, which dies in like 5 minutes without low power mode.

The 5 and lower are small phones. The 6 is the perfect size. The fact that it's 25% faster than the S+ just solidifies my opinions on the + models. They have a lot of potential, but the screen real estate is literally wasted because app developers can't be assed to throw in a few lines of code.

stop making up things and pushing your opinion as facts. you don't have to buy a plus, so why are you complaining so much? is it so hard to just say "i prefer the regular 6 size" and move on.

Alos, unless have baby-sized hands, you can easily swipe to unlock on a plus (I just did it, the actual space you have to move is smaller than an iphone 5 screen (i have my 5 right next to it), so you are saying you can't reach the bottom corners of an iphone 5.

Blackhead

Redarse
To be honest, I hate the landscape views for Mail and Messages. They feel way too cramped. Wish I could flip them off.
You can't?! Isn't there a fullscreen button?
Man, all of you 6S+ buyers expecting an iPhone with iPad features are in for a rude awakening. The only apps that even support landscape are Messages and Mail. There is zero and I mean zero third party landscape orientation support. The increased screen real estate is worthless, and since the RAM is the same in both S models, the + will run significantly slower/probably get broken by iOS 10.

Everyone I've talked to about the 6S+ think every app has landscape support, the 6S+ will get splitscreen multitasking, etc.

Apple marketing at work.

Right off the bat you are wrong--Twitter supports it. And you forgot Notes, and I'm sure others, but those are off the top of my head.

It's funny, I thought the 6+ was going to support side-by-side apps--I swore I read about it last year. So I was disappointed it didn't, and I'm still disappointed the 6s+ won't either. However, the + is superior because of the screen size, screen quality (perfectly readable in direct sunlight), battery life, and OIS. I can't go back to a smaller phone, they all seem so small, particularly the 5 and below, which literally feel like a toy.

As for the RAM, iOS 9 has been a dream and fixed the major problem with the 6--always refreshing Safari. Doubling the RAM will only help make things better.

Really?

http://mobile.pcmag.com/software/49038-10-gorgeous-apps-for-the-apple-iphone-6-plus?origref=

This article is a year old and shows a few. I'm sure there are more by now

And 'broken' by iOS 10? Get out of here with your BS claims.

Most of Apple's apps work in dual pane landscape on the 6 Plus (Calendar, Notes, Reminders, etc.) and Safari allows for a tab view in landscape.

Do any of the 6S+ reviews go over this indepth? I just found out that Apple apps like Music, Phone, Remote, News, Podcast etc don't properly support landscape. That's disconcerting

Sarye

I've watched your post grow from 2 lines to 4. Maybe I should wait until you finish debating yourself, but...

Rose Gold has been popular with men in timepieces and jewelry for years.

Sure but the Rose Gold color option looks more pink than traditional Rose Gold

Synless

Sweet my phone shipped much earlier than expected. I might actually see it on the 25th. However the tracking isn't working.... :(

Owari

stop making up things and pushing your opinion as facts. you don't have to buy a plus, so why are you complaining so much? is it so hard to just say "i prefer the regular 6 size" and move on.

Alos, unless have baby-sized hands, you can easily swipe to unlock on a plus (I just did it, the actual space you have to move is smaller than an iphone 5 screen (i have my 5 right next to it), so you are saying you can't reach the bottom corners of an iphone 5.
Unless you have monstrously freaky hands, you can't comfortably reach the Q of the keyboard on the + while holding it with your right hand.

Do any of the 6S+ reviews go over this indepth? I just found out that Apple apps like Music, Phone, Remote, News, Podcast etc don't properly support landscape. That's disconcerting
Asides from like 4 apps, there is no landscape support. So get used to double tapping home a zillion times.

so there is not 6S + benchmark yet right?
I swear I found one yesterday, but I can't find it now. I'm still searching..

I wouldn't expect any major differences in the benchmarks. Were benchmarks different between the 6 and the 6 Plus last year?
The 6 is about twice as fast as the 6+

Well I for one can't wait to have a stupidly large phone, that screen is gonna look great. I'm coming from a 5S so it'll be a significant upgrade for me. So excited :D

Owari

I think this is misleading. The 6 was much better at graphics tests because it has to power a smaller screen but I think most other tests were about equal.
All I know is that my 6+ runs like absolute garbage on iOS 9. The 5c runs better. Lag everywhere.

iMax

The 6 is about twice as fast as the 6+

giphy.gif

Owari

ITT: people who now regret buying a 6S+ over the faster iPhone 6S cause Apple marketing convinced them it's like an iPad when in reality there are zero landscape apps and the landscape keyboard is garbage

iMax

ITT: people who now regret buying a 6S+ over the faster iPhone 6S cause Apple marketing convinced them it's like an iPad when in reality there are zero landscape apps and the landscape keyboard is garbage

But you know the iPhone 6 only has 512MB of RAM, right? And it only has an Intel Celeron chip?

Owari

I don't get it, what are you trying to do here?
If anything, push more people to be mad there's no landscape support. The + series would be GOAT if the screen real estate were properly utilized. As of now the largest app developers could give a shit about supporting landscape, and I don't see that changing if people keep drinking the koolaid.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
If anything, push more people to be mad there's no landscape support. The + series would be GOAT if the screen real estate were properly utilized. As of now the largest app developers could give a shit about supporting landscape, and I don't see that changing if people keep drinking the koolaid.

We get some weird folks in these threads... But holy hell this guy takes the cake.

Ever think people buy the larger screened version just for the larger screen
+battery life and don't care about landscape support in apps?

Owari

:lol

Trying to justify his purchase I guess.
Nah, just after a year with the + I now know the superior iPhone.

I promise there isn't one person upgrading from 6+ to 6S+ and that's for a reason. The + is too big, and the S+ is even bigger. If the design of the + wasn't just "bigger 6 lol" and had some proper landscape support like it advertises it does, maybe it would be a decent option.

Enco

I promise there isn't one person upgrading from 6+ to 6S+ and that's for a reason. The + is too big, and the S+ is even bigger. If the design of the + wasn't just "bigger 6 lol" and had some proper landscape support like it advertises it does, maybe it would be a decent option.
- Better for movies
- Better for reading
- Easier to type on
- Better for surfing the net
- Better for games
- Better battery
- Better camera

The big screen has loads of advantages. Landscape apps are hardly a selling feature. But yes, it's more inconvenient.

Symphonic

Several people in this thread are though.

You're being bizarre man.

I can't even tell anymore...

JoseDFrog

Banned

I'm going from 6+ to 6S+, do I not exist?

Top Bottom